Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game rated so highly?

Comments

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by evilastro

Two words: It's new.

It is a solid game, it hasn't made any major blunders and its still shiny and new. There isnt really much else to say on the subject. Why does it bother you so much if its rated highly? There are plenty of games rated highly on this site that I personally don't like. But I am objective and can see the appeal to other players.

I agree with this completely, love the avatar too :)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I do not know either.  Tried it in beta but didn't like it.  Felt too much like it was trying to copy WoW.  Plus the combat was too slow, boring and outdated for my tastes.  Thousands will disagree with this I'm sure but I'm glad they have a game they can enjoy just like I do in mine with GW2 and Neverwinter.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Because it's a fun game which, while not necessarily bringing any truly new or unique ideas to the table, brings a bunch of existing ideas & mechanics together in a single product and polishes the crap out of them. The fact that the overall audio / visual aesthetic is one of the best in recent memory certainly doesn't hurt either.

Plus I'm having a ton of fun with it, and all I've done for the last week or two is level my crafting classes.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Twistingfate

Playing a Geared level 50 Scholar I can give you some insight into the endgame mechanics so far. Currently there is two types of tomes. Tomes of the Philosopher and Tomes of mythology. Similiarly to justice points etc in WoW you use these point to purchase gear i70 gear which is a requirement to get into further content. Its similiar to gearing up by doing heroics in WoW. Currently there are two dungeons that are the primary means of getting these tomes.

Castrum Meridian (CM) and Amdapor keep (AK). Castrum Meridian is one of the most efficient and timely ways to gather Philo tomes which have a cap of 2000 and no weekly cap. Ampdapor keep is run for the end boss giving 40 Myth tomes which have a weekly cap of 300. Mythology tomes are used for i90 gear which is required for the upper stages of Coil of Bahamut.

Generally to be completely geared you need to run CM about 60 times at around 25-30 minutes per run. This will result in you being completely i70 geared and having your Relic. AK is a 4 man dungeon and CM is a 8man dungeon. Coil is the current "endgame" dungeon and is 8man. You also have Hardmode of the primal fights which are all 8 man and pretty fun though titan is difficult.

in the 2.1 patch they will be introducing 2 new dungeons and a 24 man raid "Crystal Tower" The endgame isnt very fleshed out yet as well it just rereleased but they plan to add more which is promising. 

TL:DR if you liked WoW's justice point style gearing system you will most likely enjoy final fantasy's.

As a more personal note ive found the game immensely fun and i log in each day to play. I was a fan of FF XI and am in a fun Guild that i enjoy progressing with so mileage will vary and personally i am biased towards the game :).

Yeah just run CM 60 times, no big deal. Do eight AK runs a week. Not thrilling end game content by any stretch of the imagination.

I can understand what you mean. Im hoping in future patches they will add more dungeons to break things up as after running CM 50+ times I think i rather eat a cactus.. pointy end first. Overall though im excited for Coil of Bahamut and Crystal tower. Its not a game for everyone but I thought id list off how the endgame is currently and my thoughts. For me its enough that im enjoying the game with my guild and we are hoping to progress. The game has a large population currently so luckily its not hard finding interesting people to play with to lighten the less entertaining parts.

• jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77
    The game is good , i had a great time while  leveling up, but the end game makes me quit after a few days.  May be one day when there will be more content i will return, but for now its just another mmo i pass. 
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Because Square Enix needs your money.
  • TheSlitherTheSlither Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by MrEvilDr

Extremely overrated game that brings nothing new to the genre. I got bored very quickly with it and will not be paying past the first month for this game. If it were to go free to play, it might be something worth trying out. However, I feel as though I've wasted my money by testing this game for a month.

It may be the case that I didn't give the game much of a chance, as I only got to level 15 or so, but I have no intention of trying it any further. The combat feels extremely slow paced and monotonous, especially early in the game. Nothing really grabbed my attention and made me want to progress further. There were far to many run-of-the-mill "Slay X Ladybirds", "Collect X Ladybird Shell" and "Talk to Gary, then talk to Steve, then travel half way across the map to talk to Joseph" quests which completely ruined my experience.

On the upside, the game is aesthetically beautiful and I was thoroughly impressed with the graphics options (There were separate "Laptop" graphics settings separate from "Desktop" settings to help my laptop's performance greatly).

Just to say these are, of course, my personal opinions and I don't mean in any way to offend anyone who enjoys and plays the game. I really want to enjoy it due to all the praise the game has had from IRL friends, but I can't.

My question is, what have I missed that keeps people playing this game? I know I'll definitely need to progress further in the game to appreciate it more, but why should I?

Because its good and your arguments are invalid. Period.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

The 9.5s and 10s should be for best of genre or games that did something amazingly new and inovative that's fun and good. FFXIV although ok sure doesn't deserve those scores at all.  It's good to keep in mind that many publishers including square put a ton of weight behind metacritic and how smaller review sites giving 100 scores can have big impacts on the metacritic average (this is where it's good to throw some money around at small unknown sites).

This game doesn't deserve scores above 8.5 no matter how you cut it.  That leads me to believe they were either outright paid for, the reviewers scored it based on how bad XIVv1 was or they didn't play it very long at all and just marked as they would some offline game.  So yeah, paid for, pity vote or a review based on nothing but 4-5 hours play.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by ianicus
    a game doesnt have to "bring something new" to the genre to be well crafted....you dont like the ford? go buy the dodge.

Wow great metaphor.  Talk about two companies who never bring anything new to the table. =)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by c0exist
    This game is for people that appreciate where rpg's came from.

Its exactly the opposite, its for WoW generation who think roles in RPG are tank/healer/DPS

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Why do people like things I don't like: The thread.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Why do people like things I don't like: The thread.

You (and others) are needlessly defensive, unfairly dismissive, and really aren't doing the game, or its community, any good with these kinds of replies.

In their first post, the OP says this:

"Just to say these are, of course, my personal opinions and I don't mean in any way to offend anyone who enjoys and plays the game. I really want to enjoy it due to all the praise the game has had from IRL friends, but I can't.

My question is, what have I missed that keeps people playing this game? I know I'll definitely need to progress further in the game to appreciate it more, but why should I?"

In their second post, they say this:

See the crafting is the thing that intrigued me the most. When I play an MMO, the main thing I generally want is to get epic loot, be it by crafting or dungeons. I never got far enough into the game to experience this, but it could be the thing to get me back into it if it seems worth it. I still have about 20 days left on this month's play time so could definitely give it a go. Like I said, I really want to enjoy the game, I just need some sort of motivation and something to look forward to in the game.

One other question though - What is the end-game like? Having played WoW, I really like the end game purely for gearing up my character and becoming extremely powerful! I'd like to relive that in a game, so maybe this one is it?

EDIT:

Another thing - I like when I can grind a certain area for a chance at rare and/or valuable items, regardless of level. Is this a thing in AAR to any extent?

They are conceding they didn't get that far and may not be aware of better stuff down the road; they're just feeling put off by what they've seen so far. They're not trashing the game, they're just voicing their opinion based on their own (admittedly limited) experience with it. They're curious about the game, and are asking questions.

So no, your summary is not "the thread". Your summary is - like so many other posts so far - proof of how people don't actually read what others are saying before responding. They see something negative or critical, ignore everything else, and immediately go on the defensive.

Then people, like myself, come along who do read the entire post, and do take everything said in context. We then read the responses, full of dismissive sarcasm and hostile remarks, and think "wow, what's the deal with the people in this game? Is ARR's community really this rude?"

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Because for some people, "i don't want anymore wow clones" actually means, "give me a wow clone with better graphics".
    Originally posted by shalissar
    Because for some people, "i don't want anymore wow clones" actually means, "give me a wow clone with better graphics".

1. Awesome avatar. Miss that guy.

2. That is so true in so many cases. It seems the ruling mentality (even if not consciously) is, "I want something totally different, but make it exactly the same".

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by didjerama

Its exactly the opposite, its for WoW generation who think roles in RPG are tank/healer/DPS

You just gave me my chuckle for the morning.

Thank You !

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

2. That is so true in so many cases. It seems the ruling mentality (even if not consciously) is, "I want something different, but make it exactly the same".

Well, if you are going to play a MMO that resembles WoW, may as well play the one with the highest quality and the most polish. There are plenty of lifeless, dull WoW clones out there if you don't like quality.

Originally posted by tommygunzII
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

2. That is so true in so many cases. It seems the ruling mentality (even if not consciously) is, "I want something different, but make it exactly the same".

Well, if you are going to play a MMO that resembles WoW, may as well play the one with the highest quality and the most polish. There are plenty of lifeless, dull WoW clones out there if you don't like quality.

That's one way of looking at it, true.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Game bashers make me laugh. If you hate a game, move on and find one you do like. Servers are full with a Q to get in.  The game is so popular they had to stop selling the game for 3 weeks and have upgraded the number of servers a few times to handle the load. The game is filled with people teaming and raiding. Youtube has so many videos of people showing off their chars and how far their guild is and what bosses they have dropped. If you go find a game you like, I promise I wont come and bash it =-) I could list many reasons why this game rocks but they could be the reasons you hate the game. You spent 30 bucks on a game, move on.
  • GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    It's a fun game, but I think it lacks staying power.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I have a six month subscription, but it's very unlikely I'll sub beyond that point.

I love the Final Fantasy series, and that's what has me playing. However, as a MMORPG standing on its own merits, it's utterly bland. It's generic to an incredible degree brings nothing (not almost nothing, NOTHING) to the genre. I'll play for the next six months, then go back to TSW and GW2 (or maybe Wakfu, which I haven't played in awhile, hmm...).

<3

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    Originally posted by mbolme
    It seems a fair quesitn, and it would help me to see more serious answers. I've been sitting on the sideline, bceause I'm not sure I want to pay a monthly fee again. The high rankings of this game intrigure me, though. Why is it rated so high?

Rated so high... If I were to venture a guess (as an admitted fanboy).

1. Polished

2. Music

3. Graphics

4. Art Design

5. Story

6. Deep and satisfying crafting system

7. Amazingly designed Dungeons with no boss ever being a "tank and spank."

8. End Game dungeons and Raiding is hard.  1 month in, no one has beaten coil turn 5.

9. The quests are written VERY well.

10. The world seems alive.

11. Final Fantasy fan service and references to past final fantasies dripping from every pore of the game.

12. "Old School" feel.

13.  Traditional strictly defined party roles.

14. Forced grouping to finish story and progress (some hate it, others LOVE it).

15. Subscription means you're not nickle and dimed for content or convenience (i.e. paying real money for bag space).

16. Some people LOVE traditional tab targeting ( I am one of them, don't like action mmorpgs).

It could be that you love all of the above, or maybe just one of the above.  Some people love the game for the crafting alone.... others love the dialogue in quests.  Some of you, I suspect, either don't care for any of the above, or disagree with me.

The point is, a LOT of people have found something in this game.  I know a lot of people love GW2, but after 2 months, I havn't logged back in once.   To each his own.  If this isn't your cup of tea, then just move on.  This world would be a horrible place ot live if everyone liked and disliked the same things.

Take it from me, there's NOTHING wrong with you if you don't like FFXIV.  However, there is nothing wrong with me for loving this game.  I'll pay the sub x10 over because It's worth every penny.  I subscribed to the 6 month plan.

You'd pay 150 dollars a month for this game? Yeah right.....People like it because it is new......I'd be willing to bet you move on to a new game before your 6 months runs out.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

My question to you Op is: Why do you feel your opinion outweigh's both the MMORPG editors and a large majority of players?

Whether or not the game is to your liking has no bearing on how good a game is. It just so happens that a majority of people DO like the game despite your opinion.

I also read many posts about FF ARR not bringing anything "new" to the genre - like this is a prerequisite for a game to be excellent and fun? Wow never brought anything new to the genre - they stole ideas from multiple games and perhaps improved upon those ideas...but they weren't "new".

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I raged a lot about the game,but it grew a little on me.

there is nothing else to play at the moment,most fun is the dungens.

I only subscribed one month-next year itl be forgotten but ill try the next one if the mechanics are what I am looking for.

Originally posted by echolynfan

My question to you Op is: Why do you feel your opinion outweigh's both the MMORPG editors and a large majority of players?

Whether or not the game is to your liking has no bearing on how good a game is. It just so happens that a majority of people DO like the game despite your opinion.

Where does the OP state that their opinion outweights anyone else's, including the editors, a majority of players, or anyone else for that matter?

They are voicing an opinion and quite clearly speaking for themselves in their posts. At no point are they saying anything to indicate that they think others should agree with them, or that their opinion carries more weight.

They concede that perhaps they didn't get far enough into the game, and ask people to give info one what they might be missing out on. They show particular interest in the crafting system.

Like someone else I addressed earlier in the thread, you do the game, nor the community no good by attacking people whose posts you clearly didn't read very closely. You do no better by projecting some "agenda" on to them for which there is clearly no evidence.

It would do ARR, and this community, a great deal of good if people would stop being so thin-skinned about the game, stop attacking anyone who voices a negative opinion and, more importantly, actually read and respond to what is actually said, rather than attacking the poster for things that weren't.

I don't think you people appreciate how badly posts like yours, and others, reflect on this game/community. People can spot someone who's cleary a troll, just out to bash/attack something they don't like. They can be dismissed as such without it even being pointed out. But when people who are apparently fans of the game are attacking anyone with a negative opinion, even when no trolling is present, nor even "evident" (such as the OP), that impression sticks. It makes the community of fans seem very intolerant, overly-defensive and rather hostile.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

This game only needs 400k subscriber base for it to survive 10 years.  YoshiP said this during an interview a year ago.

This game will get 400k subscribers in JAPAN alone.

This game isn't going anywhere.  And I will be staying with it for the long haul.  I've found my home after drifting for years (Gw2, Aion, SWTOR, Warhammer, AoC, LoTRO, etc...)

I sincerely hope you guys find that elusive MMO you enjoy for a long time.  No other mmo has given me the joy that I got from Vanilla Wow and FFXI than FFXIV.

It's worth my $10 / month legacy sub.  Best value on the MMO market... period!