Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Dread War Arrives A Day Early

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Wars: The Old Republic players got a nice surprise today with the launch of patch 2.4 "The Dread War". The patch brings a host of content and updates to the game including the new Oricon story arc, new level 55 dailies and much more.

Highlights

• New Story Mission Area: Oricon! Located in an uncharted system well off the Hydian Way, Oricon is a remote moon that is immeasurably strong with the dark side – a perfect home for the feared Dread Masters! Begin the Oricon journey by talking to O6-D5 on the Republic Fleet or D5-F3 on the Imperial Fleet. Details under General

• Warzone Arenas! 4v4 Warzone Arenas are now active for Unranked, Ranked Solo, and Ranked Team play! Details under PvP

• New Level 55 Daily Missions! Explore the ship-strewn, mysterious landscape of Oricon as you battle the deadly Dread Guard and their minions. The Dread Masters are bent on destroying both the Empire and Republic and they’re using their every resource to do so! Details under Missions and NPCs

• New Operation: Dread Fortress! Begin your assault of the Dread Masters lair, an ancient fortress claimed by the Dread Masters soon after arriving on Oricon. Details under Flashpoints and Operations

• New Operation: Dread Palace! Make your way beyond the Dread Fortress to the foreboding palace of the Dread Masters --and battle towards the final confrontation with the galaxy’s greatest threat.Details under Flashpoints and Operations

• New Galactic Reputation Organization! A new organization has been added: Strike Team Oricon (Republic) (Republic)/Dread Executioners (Imperial). Details under Legacy.

• New Gear Sets! Three new sets of gear have been added: Dread Forged (new tier), Oriconian (new PvE Commendation gear) and Obroan (new PvP tier). Details under Items and Economy.

• New Vehicles and Mount! The Praxon Pyroclast, Gurian Volcano, and Strike Force Tauntaun have been added! Details under Items and Economy

Read the full patch notes on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I always love when devs pump out content early.  Ya know what I hate though? SWTOR and what it could've been.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

They had to launch early because somehow they released the patch early but that caused you not to be able to play the game at all..and if you hit play after downloading, you had to re download the entire game all over again...go read the forums, funny as hell.

This shows the immense incompetence that led many people to leave this barely floating boat.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    This article should have been fact-checked. 2.4 didn't release today. There was some sort of patch-release accident and anyone who read this article and patched would actually need to re-download the game. Still on track for tomorrow.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by orionblack

They had to launch early because somehow they released the patch early but that caused you not to be able to play the game at all..and if you hit play after downloading, you had to re download the entire game all over again...go read the forums, funny as hell.

This shows the immense incompetence that led many people to leave this barely floating boat.

Leaving something usually entails forgetting about it...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I re-subbed 1 month ago and im really enjoying myself.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Ppiper

I'm sorry , contrary to popular belief, this game is moving forward. I like what they're doing and hope this trend continues. There is nothing to think it won't. The death knell has rung for this game so many times according to this site's user base you'd think there is some kind of agenda to have this game fail.  I've never been to a forum where there is so much animus regarding a subject matter that has little effect on our lives. You would think we're debating Obamacare, here. I applaud companies that try to continue despite past imperfections. 

Enjoy this!

Another Warzone! Woohoo

;/

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    The game is doing good. The same qq about the same stuff they don't release content the content they do release isn't good enough or free enough same qq same people. This site doesn't help by allowing these lied and inaccurate post to exist just like this post.
  • t3hWheezt3hWheez Member UncommonPosts: 8
    This news segment is all wrong.
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I really want to like this game.  Gave it a few tries.  Something about how the game flows during the leveling process really turns me off.    It's a chore to go from one point to another.    Why do I need to see a hanger instance every time I leave my freaking ship?  
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I'm sorry , contrary to popular belief, this game is moving forward. I like what they're doing and hope this trend continues. There is nothing to think it won't. The death knell has rung for this game so many times according to this site's user base you'd think there is some kind of agenda to have this game fail.  I've never been to a forum where there is so much animus regarding a subject matter that has little effect on our lives. You would think we're debating Obamacare, here. I applaud companies that try to continue despite past imperfections. 

Enjoy this!

Another Warzone! Woohoo

;/

Two new Dungeons + 1 planet + Dread Wars story Arc + 4v4 PvP warzones

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Enjoy this!

Another Warzone! Woohoo

;/

Two new Dungeons + 1 planet + Dread Wars story Arc + 4v4 PvP warzones

Planet is a bit of a stretch.  We're talking about a daily zone.  They are pretty tiny (section x + black hole)

DW story arc should stay true to vanilla and have 8 separate story arc's.  However, they will bunch it into 1 arc.

I do applaud BW for continuing to release content, but its so slow because of the voice over's and story.  Kind of a shoot yourself in the foot situation.  

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

I used to troll this game bad, got when it was released and was P.Oed, got to level 50 with one char, then quit. But I have to say the game is alot better, graphics are a lot smother/better. Little to no lag, and a lot of  new content/end game stuff to do. In fact im going to stay for awhile.

The thing is the F2P system is more like a rip off, its for people who don't sub and is intended to encourage you to do so. You gotta be nuts not to sub. Quite a few people buy cartel market items, then sell them at reasonable prices on the AH, so I just buy what I want with in game credits.

End game is fun, you can work up in the flashpoints, then hard modes, then Operations, if not then improve crafting, world boss hunting, Section X, Blackhole, Makeb, Cerka planet CZ-198 areas to grid for rep points, and has some open world pvp actions in those areas to mix things up. Warzone leveling with Valor rank to gear for pvp, And now arenas being added.

Game should have been released last month, not when it was

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

This was one of the fastest F2P conversions of any MMO i've ever seen. Considering the fact that it's also the most expensive game ever made in the industry, that can't be a good sign.

Still can't find out where that budget went, was it really all for voice acting?? In that case you think they would have tried harder with the dialogue, which is out of a saturday morning cartoon for kids

• MrDooganMrDoogan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    I always love when devs pump out content early.  Ya know what I hate though? SWTOR and what it could've been.  

You know what I hate? Players who don't comment on a thread in support of what is being discussed, but to hate on a game that they do not like. Go find a game you like and be positive about it, and leave the other games alone. do you like every person in the world? No? Right... then why should you like every game? We get it... you feel let down by SWTOR, let it go... move on.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I wish SWTOR all the best, mostly just because it's a Star Wars mmo. Though, I've never been so highly disappointed in my life where a game literally had huge advantages with niche fans (SW and KOTOR) and failed to deliver still. I plan on returning to the game in years to come just to play the class storylines as they progressed, since the story and companions were the only enjoyable features.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Asamof

This was one of the fastest F2P conversions of any MMO i've ever seen. Considering the fact that it's also the most expensive game ever made in the industry, that can't be a good sign.

Still can't find out where that budget went, was it really all for voice acting?? In that case you think they would have tried harder with the dialogue, which is out of a saturday morning cartoon for kids

You are a bit behind the times and the news. Vo's don't cost that much but the Q & A of all the different paths within the game cost a lot in money and time. One of the dev's said so about 3-5 months ago.

As to the topic well I'm happy as I didn't want to run the CZ-198 weekly on 8 characters again , like I have done for 8 weeks , that's a lot of missions. Also a big change is the fact my 4000 basic comms can now be exchanged for level 69 armor , up from 66 and my 1200 elite comms can now buy me level 72 armors , up from 69. Superb! Those Cz Flashpoints won't know what's hit them. Just have to spend a few hours exchanging the comms , lol.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by maxima29
    The game is doing good. The same qq about the same stuff they don't release content the content they do release isn't good enough or free enough same qq same people. This site doesn't help by allowing these lied and inaccurate post to exist just like this post.

Sorry, this site isn't EA or Funcom. We're allowed to have opinions. SWTOR was a huge disappointment to many players. Not to mention the game engine sucks. You literally can't have more than 10 people on the screen without it lagging the hell out of you.

Of course the Hero Engine was never meant to be used to create MMOs... Something Bioware should have known.

Also, MMORPG.com, I think you made a mistake? The update didn't go live a "day earlier" as you so put it. It was an accident and the update is still planned to go live tomorrow. SWTOR can't even get patches right it seems...

Smile

• dreamerx213dreamerx213 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Why do you waste your time posting hate post on a game you don't like lol... do you really think it makes a difference to those who do? or the devs of that game will take your poor lil crushed heart into consideration because you feel let down that a game did not meet your expectations. 

I mean lets keep it real after all if that is the way you think you are in the wrong place bud 

you may find the help you need on a psychiatric help post... news flash the game was not made

to meet your expectations if you don't like something like most of the sane world you move on

find what floats your boat....   

• Knite300Knite300 Member Posts: 1

I actually made an account just to comment in here. Firstly the patch came out today, not yesterday. And second I've been playing since beta and even though there's been some big disappointments (Ilum for example) it's still been a very good experience(They've changed that part of Ilum into a fun, monthly event).

The class stories vary  with some that you might like and some that you won't, but you can find a good KOTOR style story and have fun just doing that. They've improved a lot since launch and for the most part the game is a blast with a ton to do now compared to launch.

Plus from the info that can be found about the Super Secret Space Project that's being worked on right now  it looks like it's going to be an awesome, rogue squadron or battlefront style PvP fighter, at least for launch, with the potential to have  some PvE aspect added to it.

TL/DR (aka - for the lazy people): If you took the time to look you'd see how much that they've added/will be adding and you'd see that they are indeed moving forward and still earning plenty. Then again you don't really actually care and seem to just want to be a doom gloom bunny.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Knite300

I actually made an account just to comment in here. Firstly the patch came out today, not yesterday. And second I've been playing since beta and even though there's been some big disappointments (Ilum for example) it's still been a very good experience(They've changed that part of Ilum into a fun, monthly event).

The class stories vary  with some that you might like and some that you won't, but you can find a good KOTOR style story and have fun just doing that. They've improved a lot since launch and for the most part the game is a blast with a ton to do now compared to launch.

Plus from the info that can be found about the Super Secret Space Project that's being worked on right now  it looks like it's going to be an awesome, rogue squadron or battlefront style PvP fighter, at least for launch, with the potential to have  some PvE aspect added to it.

TL/DR (aka - for the lazy people): If you took the time to look you'd see how much that they've added/will be adding and you'd see that they are indeed moving forward and still earning plenty. Then again you don't really actually care and seem to just want to be a doom gloom bunny.

I refuse to play an MMO made with such a crappy game engine. Why would I want to put myself through the kind of misery that the Hero Engine creates? Get back to me when Bioware decides to rebuild their game with a proper MMORPG gaming engine... Oh wait, that'll never happen.

Smile

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

I love how these news updates always turn into how much people hate a game.

If you don't play it or will never partake in the content this article is about ... don't post and waste everyone's time.

Try actually discussing the current content and not memories long past. Players of the game do not care if you refuse to play or why. Being butthurt doesn't make you the dictator of what games people are allowed to play.

You stay sassy!

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I play the game occasionally and enjoy it for what it is.  Unfortunately Bioware's model of putting the screws to F2P players to artificially give subscribers a sense of value without actually providing much value is deplorable.  Generous F2P systems like Rift and PoE have actually make me feel like I want to spend my money to encourage them to continue to improve the game.  SWTORs system makes me to never want to give Bioware a dime of my money.  All the people that made Bioware great have gone and they have become just another money grabbing game company.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

For me SWTOR IS EXACTLY what was intended to be. Along with Wow best game ever, most fun, complex, ... For now enjoying wow but still looking forward to return to Swtor.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by jbombard

I play the game occasionally and enjoy it for what it is.  Unfortunately Bioware's model of putting the screws to F2P players to artificially give subscribers a sense of value without actually providing much value is deplorable.  Generous F2P systems like Rift and PoE have actually make me feel like I want to spend my money to encourage them to continue to improve the game.  SWTORs system makes me to never want to give Bioware a dime of my money.  All the people that made Bioware great have gone and they have become just another money grabbing game company.

This goes back to the sad state of today's gamers and society. QQ the game is not free enough QQ. Your logic is flawed along with everyone else that cries about any f2p game. Your right the artificial aspect of me paying <$0.25/hr of entertainment that allows me run as many FP, OPS, WZ, Dailies, Craft, sell , trade , wear any gear and not have any limits is totally artificial.
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Not to condone the hate, but there is a fairly huge demand for a SW based MMO, just not the crap EA is serving up.  EA's continuing failure prevents another company from grabbing the IP and trying to craft a game people want to play.