Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blanket bans for up to 72 hrs to anyone who has 8 mil gill or more.

124»

Comments

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

And the fact that your hurt because of a video game. Seriously, its a game. Its not real, those items arnt real and neither was the money. You play games to have fun or relax by wasting time on something not important. If the time you used in game was precious well you could of used it on something that was important like Learn a real trade, Sell your goods on a real market, and make REAL money.   Its like getting p155ed off in monopoly or the game of life. Im sure you would laugh if someone got mad because you had to stop playing monopoly mid game and take some of his hotels cause he was given to much money at the start.  

Its just a game itll be there after there done with whatever they are doing. And you can make more items and more Gil because thats why you did it right? Because it was fun..... I hope so cause having 8 mil in a video games gives you 0 bragging rights. 

Of course it's just a game. That doesn't need to be said.

Some people aren't wired as you are. Some people enjoy trying to do things well, and are proud when hard work and time spent results in a favorable position, regardless if the scenario is real or simulated. You're not like that. That's fine. Go be mediocre someplace else and get back to the topic...

...the inept company is wrongfully punishing people who gave a shit to try to do well in their game.

That's all need be said. No philosophical mind-bonings about what's more important in life; no pseudo-intellectual ramblings about how much volume you suspect a game server's economy holds. You're not teaching anyone anything or making the situation better.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Once gold spammers and illegitimate gil takes hold in an economy, the only way to stop cascading inflation is to be very heavy and quite liberal with the ban hammer.

You have to put the economy on full stop while the gil is cleaned out of the economy.  Yes, that means players that did nothing wrong will have to suffer temporary bans to prevent the gil from infecting further. 

Due to the extremely limited gil generation in this game, the game is utterly incapable of handling this kind of inflation.  It will price out nearly the entire server from participating in the market.  That only increases demand for RMT more.

It seems heavy handed, but its required.  I know it seems extremely unfair for those people that legitimately made a ton of money (at least in their view).  However, if most gains were gained through illegitimate means - whether or not you directly involved, makes no difference to the economy.  You can't use tweezers to fix this problem.  You need a sledgehammer.

My FC and I have been selling Titan HM runs over the past two days.  We've already generated over 1 million gil.  That is concerning, fortunately we are socking it away in a FC vault and not putting it back in the economy.  Hopefully, that keeps SE off our backs.

I appreciate much of your post, but it all falls apart in the end.

And guys, Id like to see your reaction to the game if everyone were to follow your advice and simply stop selling on the market. It is indeed what yo uare saying: If you are risking selling items to people who bought gil from RMT, you cant pretend you didnt deserve the ban hammer.

As long as RMT remains in game, you all risk selling items to RMT. What is the answer?

Selling items on the market is a fundamental part of this game's economy. If you are 100% legit, you will still be drawn to inflating prices. It's a heave just before the plunge - where the prices drop like a stone because of all the gil in game and the availabilty.

I have like 50k to my name, and I dont have time to indulge in crafting yet, but I just had to comment on some of the things being said here. Of course you will have people coming here playing innocent, but they are guilty. You will also have innocent people being punished unfairly simply for playing the game.

And that's the problem, isnt it? There is no way around it: Unless you are like me and dont care to make money, you are in fact at risk contributing to the RMT problem. It is actually unfair to blame you for it - or just naive. If you are in the business of making gil (not RMT), you are simply following the basic rules for doing it: sell high, buy low. You dont need a Harvard degree to understand it.

And the image of selling a boat to a man in ski mask with a money bag in his hand is fundamentally flawed: SE didnt make that armor suit, so we all look sweetly innocent.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Not really Mimzel, you don't understand economics.  We are selling a pass on a progression bottleneck, not items.

Think of us as essentially a mini Federal Reserve selling bonds to take money out of circulation.  All of that money is slated to go into a sink.  Whether or not that makes a difference to SE remains to be seen, but meh - I'd rather see the economy fixed.  For now, my FC and I are content with breaking the price fixing between a couple of FCs and get more people through Titan.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Distopia

Dont get mad cause im right. Thats how Real Life works to. You cant feign ignorance of a crime (not saying its a legit crime). The money you earned was from GIl that was gained thru RMT and they consider that a no no.

So instead of just banning those who RMT and saying oh well we fixed it but the economy is f**ked to bad for those who didnt earn money from the rampant RMTing. There trying to fix the economy (well I hope and guess). You might lose all the money that came from accounts that RMT and you wont get the items you sold to em.

And the fact that your hurt because of a video game. Seriously, its a game. Its not real, those items arnt real and neither was the money. You play games to have fun or relax by wasting time on something not important. If the time you used in game was precious well you could of used it on something that was important like Learn a real trade, Sell your goods on a real market, and make REAL money.   Its like getting p155ed off in monopoly or the game of life. Im sure you would laugh if someone got mad because you had to stop playing monopoly mid game and take some of his hotels cause he was given to much money at the start.  

Its just a game itll be there after there done with whatever they are doing. And you can make more items and more Gil because thats why you did it right? Because it was fun..... I hope so cause having 8 mil in a video games gives you 0 bragging rights. 

Honestly is this your first MMO? Do you realize how people make lots of money in most cases? The game has been open long enough for people to legitimately earn millions by now. You keep equating lots of Gil to larger one off purchasers while ignoring one simple fact.

You do realize how many people are passing in and out of a server on a daily basis? How much is 100 gil x 100 sales? This could happen in mere hours in some cases depending on the game and crafting structure. People have been playing and making gil since open beta, there was no wipe.

And you have data SE doesnt have???  I would trust there access to data you dont have versus your Pseudo I've played a lot of MMOs logic.  

And even if they took my Gil and suspended me for 72 hours I would be fine, I never liked how players in UO would dupe gold and use other cheats and nothing would happen to most of those guilds that did it. And in a full loot pvp I wish Origin took it more serious.  Hell they use to do roll backs for silly 5h17, and it wasnt easy getting all that wood. It was hard work hiding from everyone so you dont get ganked.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Here you go:

"

RMT and other illicit activities upset the balance of the game and, as such, are prohibited under the Terms of Service.

Because we have confirmed the existence of players who are engaging in these illicit activities, we have taken the actions listed below.

- Date: Sep. 12 – Sep. 30, 2013
    - Accounts receiving disciplinary action for RMT site advertisements: 6,154 accounts
    - Accounts receiving disciplinary action for illicit activity: 156 accounts
    - Action Details: Termination from FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

- Date: Sep. 28, 2013
    - Accounts receiving disciplinary action for RMT/illicit activities: 568 accounts
    - Action Details: Termination/Temporary suspension from FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
    * Accounts of egregious violators will be terminated.

- Total Frozen Gil: Approximately 367,700 million Gil
    * Gil of temporarily suspended accounts will be confiscated.

Included in the above are players who used/obtained gil, items, or actions through fraudulent means. Although we are taking the utmost care and attention to prevent such actions, players who discover any confirmed cheats should, under no circumstances, exploit or disseminate such information. Instead, we ask that players file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].

In addition, the recent maintenance operations have implemented countermeasures to nullify the effects of the aforementioned cheats.

We will continue to take stringent disciplinary action against any accounts with confirmed involvement in RMT/illicit activity; players should take care to steer clear of any activity that violates the Terms of Service. Please be forewarned.

* "Cheating" consists of using third party programs or tools to conduct actions players would not normally be able to do in the game (for example, obtaining gil or items through illicit means, traversing at extremely high speeds, warping, using automated means to operate your character while you are away from the game). "
  • EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Mattatron

Of course it's just a game. That doesn't need to be said.

Some people aren't wired as you are. Some people enjoy trying to do things well, and are proud when hard work and time spent results in a favorable position, regardless if the scenario is real or simulated. You're not like that. That's fine. Go be mediocre someplace else and get back to the topic...

...the inept company is wrongfully punishing people who gave a shit to try to do well in their game.

That's all need be said. No philosophical mind-bonings about what's more important in life; no pseudo-intellectual ramblings about how much volume you suspect a game server's economy holds. You're not teaching anyone anything or making the situation better.

It is there game all things in that game belong to them. If SE so wanted to they could take everything you have and your characters erase them and put a big LOL on the screen when you log in.

They can do whatever they want.

They spent a lot of time making this game, and it failed. And where most companies would trash the project they pumped more money and time into it.  This game means more to them than it does to all of you. And they have put in more time and effort than all of you.  

They feel that  fixing the economy is more important than a few legit customers getting irate over not being able to play for what 72 hours?  Wait till this plays out.

And no im not "Wired" only time you refer to someone as being wired is if there "wound tight" as in "freaking out" or your "into the internet (social media or games)". 

I think its silly how some are acting like my 6 year old.    His brother loves to watch him play and he said he caused him to mess up so he started getting mad and throwing a tantrum. I took his DS away and he told his brother He hated him.  But with your logic my 6 year old should be  proud when hard work and time spent results in a favorable position, regardless if the scenario is real or simulated. 

...I was wrongfully punishing him, someone who gave a shit to try to do well in their game.

No its just a game, calm down. And no im not talking about everyone one else in this thread. Everyone was haveing a normal mmorpg.com forum pvp match. I just said some random cr@p and you put out 5h17 like this "You should go take a flying leap" So I trolled back.

Why are you freaking out so much, dont get me wrong I love getting a rise out of people but your going to pop a blood vessel.   And I would hate to have one less person to annoy here.

And back to the topic like as you said, I pointed out that what you think is the reason for the 72 hour ban is from some guy making a guess. You don't know why SE banned those people. And im sorry ive been around the internet long enough, like Kyleran was joking about earlier, Everyone says there innocent. 

Do I think everyone who was suspended (wouldn't say its a ban thats just exaggerating) had malicious intent. No, but if they want to get rid of all the RMTd Gil and treat everyone that was in contact with it knowingly or not Guilty until proven innocent....While not very American, this is not an American company.  Atleast they didn't just assume you were guilty and actually ban you or wipe your character.

Alot of hardcore ,been crafting and have been lvl 50 for a long time, players in my FC didn't get suspended. So I dont think its just you have money your guilty.

Wait it out and see what SE does and dont freak out over what some guy who doesn't even know any hard facts is writing on the internet... 

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

While I won't dispute your comment about it being "winnable" I question that they are buying their accounts. They are just using hacked accounts.

Back in the days when I worked on a Tech Support help desk, I'd have to reset domain account passwords all the time. After a couple years of doing that, I was amazed at the number of people who used the name of a popular Disney character. (I'm leaving it out here, but you can guess I am sure)

Back then, I knew that if I'd written a script that attempted a log in using everyone's email as a user name and then used that one character's name as a password, I knew that I'd have access with multiple accounts within an hour or 2.

I don't think people have gotten much better over the years.

Kotaku/gizmodo/lifehacker  was hacked a few years ago....passwords were listed.....the top 50 anyways...from 186K+ passwords......

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/12/13/the-top-50-gawker-media-passwords/

Number 1 password.... 123456

Number 2 Password.... password

number 3 password..... 12345678

Yeah... (and congrats on lasting 2 years doing PW resets...I couldnt have done that for 2 years straight, I managed 2 weeks before realized I was losing Int points by the week)

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I've always said that what companies should do is ban anyone who is selling or buying gold permanently and ban the whole allegiance temporarily (if it keeps happening then permanently) and throw temporary bans on anyone involved with trading the illegal gold.

Yes it seems extreme, but what it would do is get the players to police themselves. People would actively keep an eye out for all buyers and sellers in order to avoid them like the plague and pretty soon it just wouldn't be worth it for people to buy or sell.

The game that does this will see a quick drop off in gold buying and selling.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

glad to see this happening but as usual punishment is not hard enough on the gold/gil buyers

total ban for anyone buying any gil - period

now they can buy another key start over of course (after IP fiddling) but certainly a better lesson than 3 days off