Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game rated so highly?

Extremely overrated game that brings nothing new to the genre. I got bored very quickly with it and will not be paying past the first month for this game. If it were to go free to play, it might be something worth trying out. However, I feel as though I've wasted my money by testing this game for a month.

It may be the case that I didn't give the game much of a chance, as I only got to level 15 or so, but I have no intention of trying it any further. The combat feels extremely slow paced and monotonous, especially early in the game. Nothing really grabbed my attention and made me want to progress further. There were far to many run-of-the-mill "Slay X Ladybirds", "Collect X Ladybird Shell" and "Talk to Gary, then talk to Steve, then travel half way across the map to talk to Joseph" quests which completely ruined my experience.

On the upside, the game is aesthetically beautiful and I was thoroughly impressed with the graphics options (There were separate "Laptop" graphics settings separate from "Desktop" settings to help my laptop's performance greatly).

Just to say these are, of course, my personal opinions and I don't mean in any way to offend anyone who enjoys and plays the game. I really want to enjoy it due to all the praise the game has had from IRL friends, but I can't.

My question is, what have I missed that keeps people playing this game? I know I'll definitely need to progress further in the game to appreciate it more, but why should I?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

If you don't like chocolate, you don't like it.

Moving on.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

if you don't get it on your own i doubt anyone will be able to explain it to you.

sounds to me like you didnt research the game before buying, dont be bitter and vindictive, just move on.  You got what you paid for.. its not their fault you didnt appreciate it.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    This game is for people that appreciate where rpg's came from.  I personally think the worst thing to happen to the genre is the whole action combat thing.  nonetheless, the environments, story and music keep me coming back on a somewhat nightly basis.  This game is about building your character up by leveling multiple classes at once.  If you level one job up to max you will get bored.  The speed of the spells and the combat does get increasingly faster at you level.  But im going to say if you cant appreciate the game by level 15 you probably never will.  Just not your cup of tea man. 
  • huihuhuhu2huihuhuhu2 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    but thats not how things work here at mmorpg.com...the formula is to complain about a game that no one is being forced to play..some people like ff 14 others don't..but no one is forcing you to play..there are countless posts on these forums about not enjoying the game..simple philosophy..don't like the game..don't play...if you do then play...attention grabbing articles like these are meant for the garbage
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Some people like the game, who voted it highly, some people don't, and vote it lowly, it just happens that there is more that like it than more that don't. The reviewers on the site happened to like it too. People are entitled to opinions, just like you are entitled to your own. 
  • mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    It seems a fair quesitn, and it would help me to see more serious answers. I've been sitting on the sideline, bceause I'm not sure I want to pay a monthly fee again. The high rankings of this game intrigure me, though. Why is it rated so high?
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    a game doesnt have to "bring something new" to the genre to be well crafted....you dont like the ford? go buy the dodge.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by mbolme
    It seems a fair quesitn, and it would help me to see more serious answers. I've been sitting on the sideline, bceause I'm not sure I want to pay a monthly fee again. The high rankings of this game intrigure me, though. Why is it rated so high?

Rated so high... If I were to venture a guess (as an admitted fanboy).

1. Polished

2. Music

3. Graphics

4. Art Design

5. Story

6. Deep and satisfying crafting system

7. Amazingly designed Dungeons with no boss ever being a "tank and spank."

8. End Game dungeons and Raiding is hard.  1 month in, no one has beaten coil turn 5.

9. The quests are written VERY well.

10. The world seems alive.

11. Final Fantasy fan service and references to past final fantasies dripping from every pore of the game.

12. "Old School" feel.

13.  Traditional strictly defined party roles.

14. Forced grouping to finish story and progress (some hate it, others LOVE it).

15. Subscription means you're not nickle and dimed for content or convenience (i.e. paying real money for bag space).

16. Some people LOVE traditional tab targeting ( I am one of them, don't like action mmorpgs).

It could be that you love all of the above, or maybe just one of the above.  Some people love the game for the crafting alone.... others love the dialogue in quests.  Some of you, I suspect, either don't care for any of the above, or disagree with me.

The point is, a LOT of people have found something in this game.  I know a lot of people love GW2, but after 2 months, I havn't logged back in once.   To each his own.  If this isn't your cup of tea, then just move on.  This world would be a horrible place ot live if everyone liked and disliked the same things.

Take it from me, there's NOTHING wrong with you if you don't like FFXIV.  However, there is nothing wrong with me for loving this game.  I'll pay the sub x10 over because It's worth every penny.  I subscribed to the 6 month plan.

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66

Lets not forget that this is a re-release of a previous version.  SE never said that ARR was going to be ALL brand new and shiny nor being genre and/or game breaking.

I play this game and enjoy every minute of it.  To each his own...

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Damn right i just play it to 50 (5 more levels) put it back in the box for later and play Tera another game witch i BOUGHT that is now F2P :O

Or i can play Conan, Warhammer, Star wars,Rift.. all have the same thing u buy it and it goes F2P anyways :)

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    Originally posted by mbolme

Rated so high... If I were to venture a guess (as an admitted fanboy).

1. Polished

2. Music

3. Graphics

4. Art Design

5. Story

6. Deep and satisfying crafting system

7. Amazingly designed Dungeons with no boss ever being a "tank and spank."

8. End Game dungeons and Raiding is hard.  1 month in, no one has beaten coil turn 5.

9. The quests are written VERY well.

10. The world seems alive.

11. Final Fantasy fan service and references to past final fantasies dripping from every pore of the game.

12. "Old School" feel.

13.  Traditional strictly defined party roles.

14. Forced grouping to finish story and progress (some hate it, others LOVE it).

15. Subscription means you're not nickle and dimed for content or convenience (i.e. paying real money for bag space).

16. Some people LOVE traditional tab targeting ( I am one of them, don't like action mmorpgs).

It could be that you love all of the above, or maybe just one of the above.  Some people love the game for the crafting alone.... others love the dialogue in quests.  Some of you, I suspect, either don't care for any of the above, or disagree with me.

The point is, a LOT of people have found something in this game.  I know a lot of people love GW2, but after 2 months, I havn't logged back in once.   To each his own.  If this isn't your cup of tea, then just move on.  This world would be a horrible place ot live if everyone liked and disliked the same things.

Take it from me, there's NOTHING wrong with you if you don't like FFXIV.  However, there is nothing wrong with me for loving this game.  I'll pay the sub x10 over because It's worth every penny.  I subscribed to the 6 month plan.

And more importantly , there is nothing else to play that hasn't already been played to death .

Give it time this game will become extinct as well ,  if it takes less than 1 month to hit 50  , and the end game content just isn't there compared to 1-50  . People will flock to something new that promises more . .. 

Expect FF15 to come out next year maybe :)

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

On Hyperior server, last night, 9 pm pacific, 12 midnight Eastern and 9 a.m. Europe, I still had a queue to get in.

I think this game will settle exactly on what YoshiP said a year ago.  It will have 500k subscribers in 6 months and stay like that for years.

YoshiP said that at 400k subscribers, that is enough to keep the game going for 10 years.

That's all I care about.  I have found a home.  I sincerely wish some of you mmo nomads find a home as well.  Maybe it will be Wildstar, or Teso, or EQ next, regardless, good luck on your journey.  

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

RPG games are not for the masses you need to stick to one aspect and not try to please everyone.

I go for game play anyday. i like GRINDING i like to play like 5 months for 8 hours a day to get halfway the level cap.

But nowdays peeps r spoiled they wanna hit 3 mobs and level up...

Donno what server i am on i think its ICH or somthing :P

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

Anyone that is not happy with this game is completely entitled to their opinion on game choice. I don't find this game the best thing but it has a great deal of good things in it. For those trying the game, Please dont judge it til your lvl 20 or better.. The first 20 levels to me were just a big newb zone to me. After that you have enough attacks and such to start getting an idea of what the game will be like. Just my opinion.

• MrEvilDrMrEvilDr Member Posts: 84

See the crafting is the thing that intrigued me the most. When I play an MMO, the main thing I generally want is to get epic loot, be it by crafting or dungeons. I never got far enough into the game to experience this, but it could be the thing to get me back into it if it seems worth it. I still have about 20 days left on this month's play time so could definitely give it a go. Like I said, I really want to enjoy the game, I just need some sort of motivation and something to look forward to in the game.

One other question though - What is the end-game like? Having played WoW, I really like the end game purely for gearing up my character and becoming extremely powerful! I'd like to relive that in a game, so maybe this one is it?

EDIT:

Another thing - I like when I can grind a certain area for a chance at rare and/or valuable items, regardless of level. Is this a thing in AAR to any extent?

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

I wish the combat was slower...

If I wanted to smash buttons I'd play street fighter.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I was just wondering why it's rated so low... 

I guess we'll cancel each other out. Such is life :)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    The Final Fantasy system either appeals to you, or it doesn't.  I quite enjoy the game. Yoshi P did a VERY good job in making the game enjoyable, and in keeping with what one would expect from a Final Fantasy game.  But its obviously not for everyone.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

Playing a Geared level 50 Scholar I can give you some insight into the endgame mechanics so far. Currently there is two types of tomes. Tomes of the Philosopher and Tomes of mythology. Similiarly to justice points etc in WoW you use these point to purchase gear i70 gear which is a requirement to get into further content. Its similiar to gearing up by doing heroics in WoW. Currently there are two dungeons that are the primary means of getting these tomes.

Castrum Meridian (CM) and Amdapor keep (AK). Castrum Meridian is one of the most efficient and timely ways to gather Philo tomes which have a cap of 2000 and no weekly cap. Ampdapor keep is run for the end boss giving 40 Myth tomes which have a weekly cap of 300. Mythology tomes are used for i90 gear which is required for the upper stages of Coil of Bahamut.

Generally to be completely geared you need to run CM about 60 times at around 25-30 minutes per run. This will result in you being completely i70 geared and having your Relic. AK is a 4 man dungeon and CM is a 8man dungeon. Coil is the current "endgame" dungeon and is 8man. You also have Hardmode of the primal fights which are all 8 man and pretty fun though titan is difficult.

in the 2.1 patch they will be introducing 2 new dungeons and a 24 man raid "Crystal Tower" The endgame isnt very fleshed out yet as well it just rereleased but they plan to add more which is promising. 

TL:DR if you liked WoW's justice point style gearing system you will most likely enjoy final fantasy's.

As a more personal note ive found the game immensely fun and i log in each day to play. I was a fan of FF XI and am in a fun Guild that i enjoy progressing with so mileage will vary and personally i am biased towards the game :).

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37
    I think corss-platform and the aesthetic feel really help. Otherwise I don't think it is better than SWTOR because they are similar and FFXIV even feels smaller.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by breadm1x

RPG games are not for the masses

You don't even realise how incredibly silly that statement is?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Twistingfate

Playing a Geared level 50 Scholar I can give you some insight into the endgame mechanics so far. Currently there is two types of tomes. Tomes of the Philosopher and Tomes of mythology. Similiarly to justice points etc in WoW you use these point to purchase gear i70 gear which is a requirement to get into further content. Its similiar to gearing up by doing heroics in WoW. Currently there are two dungeons that are the primary means of getting these tomes.

Castrum Meridian (CM) and Amdapor keep (AK). Castrum Meridian is one of the most efficient and timely ways to gather Philo tomes which have a cap of 2000 and no weekly cap. Ampdapor keep is run for the end boss giving 40 Myth tomes which have a weekly cap of 300. Mythology tomes are used for i90 gear which is required for the upper stages of Coil of Bahamut.

Generally to be completely geared you need to run CM about 60 times at around 25-30 minutes per run. This will result in you being completely i70 geared and having your Relic. AK is a 4 man dungeon and CM is a 8man dungeon. Coil is the current "endgame" dungeon and is 8man. You also have Hardmode of the primal fights which are all 8 man and pretty fun though titan is difficult.

in the 2.1 patch they will be introducing 2 new dungeons and a 24 man raid "Crystal Tower" The endgame isnt very fleshed out yet as well it just rereleased but they plan to add more which is promising. 

TL:DR if you liked WoW's justice point style gearing system you will most likely enjoy final fantasy's.

As a more personal note ive found the game immensely fun and i log in each day to play. I was a fan of FF XI and am in a fun Guild that i enjoy progressing with so mileage will vary and personally i am biased towards the game :).

Yeah just run CM 60 times, no big deal. Do eight AK runs a week. Not thrilling end game content by any stretch of the imagination.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Just vote it down my final rating was 6.1 I also was put off at around lvl 15 and the game was too linear and there was nothing interesting for me I didn't get into the story like SWTOR or and I didn't feel the freedom to explore and immerse in the game world.

For me it ain't worth any buck so I just moved on. You have to keep in mind it has very few ratings and reviews and it should go down for me EQ 2 was better and had almost as good graphics.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Two words: It's new.

It is a solid game, it hasn't made any major blunders and its still shiny and new. There isnt really much else to say on the subject. Why does it bother you so much if its rated highly? There are plenty of games rated highly on this site that I personally don't like. But I am objective and can see the appeal to other players.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by DMKano
    Aw come on - the first 4 or 5 dungeons are 100% tank and spank. My FC completely ignored many boss mechanics and still beat them easily. We beat AK in the first week while being very undergeared. Dungeons are not amazingly designed, they are corridors with small rooms for the most part, a weak point IMO.  

See here is where we know your exagerating at best, and lying at worst. There are bosses inside the first 3 dungeons that are absolutely not killable tank and spank. Ichorous Ire in Copperbell Mines, the 3rd dungeon at L17, comes to mind as an absolute 180' from a tank and spank encounter. It may be easy once you know the mechanic, but if you go in there just trying to tank the boss and burn it down, you will be there for a while....