Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class recomendation for new player

tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Hi guys. Im thinking about activating the game for a month to try it (i have the original FFXIV account so I just have to activate a month to play) and was thinking which class to roll.

I'm mainly a caster player, preferably some nature based spells (let's say a druid, caster type), and like to have some heals to keep me alive and also the usual DoT. I do not necessarily like to rely on pets, but don't mind if they are merely companions or buffers. I just don't want to "need" them...

I mentioned the druid because I don't know if armor in this game refects a specific type of look based on the class, and I do like the druid/ naturalist look.

Is there any class or specialization in ARR that meets this type? And if so, which one.

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Arcanist
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

Arcanist 30 Conjurer 15 = Scholar

Heals, an assistance pet, tons of fun! 

Personally I play a Summoner as my main, but when  you level Arcanist to 50 with either Scholar or Summoner all you have to do is level the secondary class to 15 and you have 2 jobs at 50 free pretty much.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

Personally I play a Summoner as my main, but when  you level Arcanist to 50 with either Scholar or Summoner all you have to do is level the secondary class to 15 and you have 2 jobs at 50 free pretty much.

definitely the best idea,   you get into groups pretty fast .  Easiest healer to play due to less agro management .

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Grailer
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

definitely the best idea,   you get into groups pretty fast .  Easiest healer to play due to less agro management .

Seems good. But is it a healer? I don't want to be a healbot only...

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    If you dont want to be a healer go summoner (Arc 30, Thm 15). Having a pet as a dps caster is very nice. Although healers and tanks get into dungeons wwwwwaaaayyyyyyyy faster then dps classes.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Like the others said, Arcanist to Summoner is your best bet, but they are definitely pet classes.

Alternatively, you could be a black mage - they are more the traditional 'pure' caster, no pets, fewer dots and more nukes. Their armor actually has a bit of a hedge-wizard-y feel to it despite being in blacks and purples rather than earth tones. The draw back to being a black mage is that you have to give up your heals - but you can still borrow them from other classes while you are leveling Thaumaturge (the class which Black Mage grows from).

Conjurers would actually fit your description near perfectly, except that they can only become White Mages right now, pure healers - though in the future I would wage we will get a nature-based caster class that has everything you want as the Conjurer's second job.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by twrule

Like the others said, Arcanist to Summoner is your best bet, but they are definitely pet classes.

Alternatively, you could be a black mage - they are more the traditional 'pure' caster, no pets, fewer dots and more nukes. Their armor actually has a bit of a hedge-wizard-y feel to it despite being in blacks and purples rather than earth tones. The draw back to being a black mage is that you have to give up your heals - but you can still borrow them from other classes while you are leveling Thaumaturge (the class which Black Mage grows from).

Conjurers would actually fit your description near perfectly, except that they can only become White Mages right now, pure healers - though in the future I would wage we will get a nature-based caster class that has everything you want as the Conjurer's second job.

And do we have to evolve to white mages or is there the possibly to continue just Conjurer while waiting for some new job (in case it's coming in the near future)

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by tryklon
    Originally posted by twrule

And do we have to evolve to white mages or is there the possibly to continue just Conjurer while waiting for some new job (in case it's coming in the near future)

Technically, you can play Conjurer up to 50 without ever switching to White Mage, but don't expect to be invited to endgame groups if you were interested in that. It will be probably be a good while before a new job for conjurer comes out, so you probably don't want to choose them as a "main" class if you're about to get the game. You can always level multiple classes (on the same character) and see what you prefer of course.