Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online closes, let rain the ordinance

"We have arrived, and it is now that we perform our charge. In fealty to the God Emperor, our undying lord, and by the grace of the Golden Throne, I declare Exterminatus upon the Imperial realm of Warhammer Online. I hereby sign the death warrant of an entire company, and consign a thousand souls into boredom. May Imperial Justice account in all balance. The Emperor protects..."

http://www.warhammeronline.com/article/Warhammer-Notice-Shutdown

Comments

• BeerSamuraiBeerSamurai Member Posts: 69
    Just as well.  I never did get my Ork city, and the Skaven were just a letdown.

Dreah I'm yunk, wazzit matter to you?

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

WAR should be a template of how not to build an MMO world. Top level character? Well you get to stick to t4 and never, ever, ever see the old areas again unless you reroll a new character. Forget epic, branching quest lines that take you all over the world. Forget an in depth crafting system (Dwarfs were reknowned for their extraordinary crafting abilities in the Warhammer universe), forget taking 6 cities, forget exploring a world that was eyeball deep in backstory and lore. 

One day, I hope someone gets a hold of the IP and turns it into something special. Till then, WAR40k :EC for me.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183
    Expecting any kind of game that captures the entirety of either Warhammer IP, fantasy or 40k, is madness. It's entirely possible to lose days getting lost in Lexicanum, and that only gives a brief overview of topics. The size and scope of Warhammer is beyond an all-encompassing approach. 
    Originally posted by freakishbean

Forget epic, branching quest lines that take you all over the world... forget exploring a world that was eyeball deep in backstory and lore. 

They did have some.  Just by the time you got to T4, no one bothered.  I went out of my way to find these quests.  They really explored the lore.  Shame I was probably the only person who ever played them.

• ZulmalukaZulmaluka Member UncommonPosts: 18

Actually my friends (who know a hell of a lot more about warhammer still and at the time were always lurking for lore aspects and exploration, or seeing memorable chars) as did I.

Apart from badly optimized graphics that even on best rigs then would lag, the game seemed like a lot of fun for my friends and me. I personally loved the open pvp between capping the points/nods and fighting some stragglers or other people looking for an awesome duel for a small scale skirmish that no one expected to happen. :) 

The game looked like it got overrun by other newer mmos who stole of their ideas and couldn't keep up+from what i'v heard GameWorkshop also didn't let anyone mess with design of the game and just wanted the game to die after some time.(they didn't want the game to go F2P in any sort or form, big surprise there huh)

• Valrak40kValrak40k Member UncommonPosts: 77
     I had my fun with it, I remember a guild I made for it called 'Sons of the Empire', wonderful time to be a Warhammer fan. Farewell old friend, you gave me joy, now your time is over and your duty done. Be at peace.

• kithekithe Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I had some of my best MMO playing times with WAR. It's sad it only delivered a fraction of what it promised but non the less, it was a blast to play. 
    Also it seems that GW has given licsense of Warhammer Fantasy to Creative Assembly.  That might be another reason why WAR's closing. 

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Isn't that the Total War dev? I can imagine them making a God Emperor-tier RTS game... but maybe, someday maybe, we will get the Warhammer RPG we deserve.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

If mythic put as much energy into the game engine as the hype train, this game would have owned.  Probably the biggest failure was the game engine, man it was so poorly built.  I also couldnt get past the spam button mentality. I love tactical combat and giving basically every class a spamable ranged ability really destroys a bit aspect of tactical combat, especially when that ranged ability can have a 5 second duration 40% snare and zero cooldown attached to it.  If a game is going to be tab target based, then at least make it tactical and not a spam fest...

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah

If mythic put as much energy into the game engine as the hype train, this game would have owned.  Probably the biggest failure was the game engine, man it was so poorly built.  I also couldnt get past the spam button mentality. I love tactical combat and giving basically every class a spamable ranged ability really destroys a bit aspect of tactical combat, especially when that ranged ability can have a 5 second duration 40% snare and zero cooldown attached to it.  If a game is going to be tab target based, then at least make it tactical and not a spam fest...

to be fair they only added spammable snares because all chicken shits tried to do was kite around with their ranged bunny hopping in circles.  the snare allowed them to be caught and whacked.

• OniFeeZOniFeeZ Member Posts: 48

I really enjoyed WAR even though  it had it's fair share of problems. What killed it for me was that they didn't really try to expand it and yeah it's technical problems killed it a bit too.

Such a shame too though.