Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A friend bought this game for me.

13»

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Wiha
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by Coldhatez

So what can i expect? Im a former WoW player, and i liked that game alot.

I heard there is no gear progression so how does the end game work?

Thanks

if you enjoyed WoW then I am afraid  GW2 will probably be too complex for you 

Was this insult really needed?

Are these types of threads really needed? Might as well make threads will I like brussels sprouts since the only way to find out is to eat them and see or will I like a certain type of music since the only way to know is to listen to it. Anything like this is subjective. However I think most people have realized that these forums are completely worthless since all most threads are simply bullshit posted by fanboys and paid  shills. These forums stropped being useful before DAoC reale3ased its first expansion

Anyway I was quoting a friend of mine who cannot stand GW2 because he cannot stand in one spot in his light armor without his character dieing. He disliked that there is no standard build and weaponry for every class. He did like the fact my lvl 80 could group with his lvl 15 however he went back to WoW where he feels comfortable with the raiding oriented gear grind. He  thought GW2 was overly complex with it's class and weapons, at least the Elementalist class was, that is all he played

I miss DAoC

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Also this: I play GW2 regularly. I find it enjoyable, I have fun with it and in it, but it is not to me a true MMO, because for the most part Players can go through almost all the game and not have to rely on anyone else for assistance. I do enjoy GW2 for what it is. Gw2's world is beautiful. The creative love the Devs put into the game world I feel is fantastic and highly enjoyable. The random conversions of the NPCs beat everything other game in entertainment value, the music I love, the Combat is enjoyable, even the small amount of skills I find fun and refreshing compared to playing LotRO or other skill heavy games. The cartoony appearance of Asura's and their Tech get on my nerves some, but I try to ignore that since so much else about GW2 is enjoyable to me.

However even saying all that I still see GW2 as a solo game, maybe even a Console Game with how Action oriented it is, and I will not apologise for seeing it that way. It is as they say "my opinion".

Did you know that MMO stands for 'massively multiplayer online'?

To be a true MMO, what you need is a massive amount of people playing together online. :T

Do you know what 'solo' means?  It means 'by yourself'.  To be a solo game, you must be playing it without other people involved.  Even a game where there is one other person becomes a co-op game, or a versus game.

Do you know what a console refers to?  It refers to a gaming system such as an NES or a Playstation or a Wii.  A console game is a game played on a console, or perhaps at a stretch, a game that originated on a console system, and then was ported to a computer.

You may have your own personal definitions that you are filing under 'my opinion', but they are actually wrong.

Yes.  Opinions can be wrong.  When I say 'I like this picture', that is an opinion that is subjective.  When I look at a red object and say 'This is a green object', I am wrong.  Even if in my head, red is green, it's irrelevant.  Going by the definitions laid out by the English language, I am wrong.

It is important that people use words in the same way, as often as possible, because it is impossible for us to read minds.  The closest we can get to understanding how other people think is communication through language.  Therefore, going by established definitions is very important, because otherwise we are no longer able to understand the other person, and we are not talking with the other person, we are merely talking at the other person.

Your comprehending his statement in a way that fits your cause.  In a supposed massive online game if you need nobody to accomplish anything then it might as well be a single player game.  He is not saying it is a single player game or thats its played on console.  At what point do all those online players just become npc's anyway if there is no interaction? 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by c0exist

Your comprehending his statement in a way that fits your cause.  In a supposed massive online game if you need nobody to accomplish anything then it might as well be a single player game.  He is not saying it is a single player game or thats its played on console.  At what point do all those online players just become npc's anyway if there is no interaction? 

That depends on how you define interaction.

If by interaction you mean scheduling times to play, guild drama, etc, then yes, GW2 doesn't demand that.

Now, GW2 has plenty of places where you need other people to win - fractals, dungeons, guild missions, WvW, sPvP, Tequatl and other world bosses, most group events, etc.

Tequatl and WvW even require tons of coordination and you have server wide communities.

But maybe you define massive as 10-25 people you require to do a raid instead of 80+ ppl required to beat Tequatl and the hundreds required to win a WvW match.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

If by interaction you mean scheduling times to play, guild drama, etc, then yes, GW2 doesn't demand that.

Now, GW2 has plenty of places where you need other people to win - fractals, dungeons, guild missions, WvW, sPvP, Tequatl and other world bosses, most group events, etc.

Tequatl and WvW even require tons of coordination and you have server wide communities.

But maybe you define massive as 10-25 people you require to do a raid instead of 80+ ppl required to beat Tequatl and the hundreds required to win a WvW match.

Why do you take a few peoples' experiences and try to apply them as a whole truth? 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Why do you take a few peoples' experiences and try to apply them as a whole truth? 

And is that any different than saying GW2 is a solo experience or that only certain types of interaction qualify but not others?

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RagisRagis Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by elitero

if  DPS + HEAL + Rez others + Dodge is all you think gw2 is. This page would like a word with you =)    (if you do not play the game, you probably will not understand the importance of it.)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

You honestly want to tell me that when you're fighting with a world boss with 50+ other people you are all coordinating your attacks to create most efficient combos? Or are you just running around dodging and spamming spells and trying not to die, not giving a single f*ck about other people around you (unless they die and need to be picked up)? Where is teamwork in this?

I do play this game. I like it very much and would like to spend more time in it, but there is a key element missing for me. A social element. Something that gives the meaning to the whole 'mmo' part of the game.

Originally posted by Ragis

if  DPS + HEAL + Rez others + Dodge is all you think gw2 is. This page would like a word with you =)    (if you do not play the game, you probably will not understand the importance of it.)

You honestly want to tell me that when you're fighting with a world boss with 50+ other people you are all coordinating your attacks to create most efficient combos? Or are you just running around dodging and spamming spells and trying not to die, not giving a single f*ck about other people around you (unless they die and need to be picked up)? Where is teamwork in this?

I do play this game. I like it very much and would like to spend more time in it, but there is a key element missing for me. A social element. Something that gives the meaning to the whole 'mmo' part of the game.

Explain to me exactly how the DPS players help the tank keeping aggro in current holy trinity MMORPGs? Or how does the healer contributes to aggro management?

Explain to me exactly how do tanks contribute to the healing of the party? Or how do the DPS do that?

Explain to me how healers and tanks improve the DPSes rotation for increased damage?

What you call team work is nothing more than your character being crippled and needing another character to either take damage for him, heal him or deal damage for him.

A power cord also needs a power point and it isn't called teamwork.

Teamwork has nothing to do with the holy trinity or lack of it and Tequatl is a very visible example of that.

People need to use the turrets to remove tequatl buff, they need to remove the poison that is killing the other players and it help if the other players are stacked to received the turret buffs.

But people in the turrets are completely vulnerable, so some people need to defend the turrets.

Then there are the megalaser phases, where you again need to split to cover different objectives.

That is teamwork and without communication one will fail.

Similarly try do a guild bounty without having a bunch of guildies around coordinating trying to find the targets and then knocking them down.

I'm not going to even talk about WvW.

The game doesn't require progression guilds but if you want to socialize you have opportunities for it. Unless progression guilds is the only valid type of socialization for you.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Ragis

You can sit there and tell me how much you play the game, but I noted in the first post if you do not understand how those combos work, you wouldn't really understand how critical it is. Also your first sentence still tells me you do not know jack about gw2.

50 people???????? LOL we do that with usually 70+ people every night.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Professor78
    If you don't really care about teamwork... this is exactly the game for you

on the other hand:  doing a WOW raid (all the same), in a cookie cutter class role with tons of addons doing your work while a schoolkid is going emo on voice comms isn't exactly thrilling either.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"