Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grand Theft Auto V Smashes Global Week One Sales Record

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Check it out on vgchartz

So to anyone who ever said that there is no demand for sandbox open world games, I beg to differ. It's also not even released on PC yet or has the online included yet. This is pretty big news. Thoughts? What could this mean for games to come and MMORPGs in the future?

Over a billion. Just nuts.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

Like the article that was just posted on this site, it means that if an MMO released with this kind of world, it would sell.

But sandbox MMO's do not look or feel like the world in GTA. GTA has more detail than any MMO I've ever played.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Murdus

Like the article that was just posted on this site, it means that if an MMO released with this kind of world, it would sell.

But sandbox MMO's do not look or feel like the world in GTA. GTA has more detail than any MMO I've ever played.

i have to slightly disagree.

The game would sell yes. But its not the world wich is the atraction of GTA its the gameplay.

When i start thinking of how to implement this into an MMO your gonna get alot of restrictions all over the place. Hell i can honestly say that APB is somewhat similair to what a GTA mmo would be. And we all know how that turned out.

to OP: It does not mean anything. it means GTA sells. But GTA is a well established title it has alot of fans and that only increases with each sequal. And in MMO's you always need restrictions. restrictions from letting players grief other players.

Restrict too much and it get boring restrict to little and you have griefers paradise and people stay away from it.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    This is actually sad. GTA mistreats woman and shows them as sexual objects. Plus you are a bad guy doing crimes. If it has sold this much, than I fear society has really gone down the drain :(

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Originally posted by TheScavenger
    This is actually sad. GTA mistreats woman and shows them as sexual objects. Plus you are a bad guy doing crimes. If it has sold this much, than I fear society has really gone down the drain :(

Look at comercials irl woman are already mistreated and been showed as sexual objects. Wake me up when we see crime-rates rise because of this game. Sane people will stay sane. i enjoy playing GTA and i will run over and kill hundreds more and steal alot of shit. it does not give a sane person the slightest urge to do that IRL.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by xeniar

The game would sell yes. But its not the world wich is the atraction of GTA its the gameplay.

When i start thinking of how to implement this into an MMO your gonna get alot of restrictions all over the place. Hell i can honestly say that APB is somewhat similair to what a GTA mmo would be. And we all know how that turned out.

to OP: It does not mean anything. it means GTA sells. But GTA is a well established title it has alot of fans and that only increases with each sequal. And in MMO's you always need restrictions. restrictions from letting players grief other players.

Restrict too much and it get boring restrict to little and you have griefers paradise and people stay away from it.

It's the world that attracts people to GTA..you feel like you are in a believable living breathing world that has consequences for your actions.

Look at comercials irl woman are already mistreated and been showed as sexual objects. Wake me up when we see crime-rates rise because of this game. Sane people will stay sane. i enjoy playing GTA and i will run over and kill hundreds more and steal alot of shit. it does not give a sane person the slightest urge to do that IRL.

Yes because those women are forced to be in those commercials.  Women use their sexuality they just put the guilt trip on guys like you who fall for it. Men and women are both used as sexual objects, just look at a hugo boss ad or diet coke.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Well, I'm sane and played 32 hours (non-stop, just bathroom breaks) of GTA 4 and started forgetting what was real and not. Took a drive and almost started committing crimes, but got lucky and a cop saved me (was speeding) and put me in jail for 24 hours. I never felt like that for any other game, so you don't have to be crazy or anything to start getting violent.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Originally posted by nerovipus32

It's the world that attracts people to GTA..you feel like you are in a believable living breathing world that has consequences for your actions.

Your wrong. The world does feel like a living an breathing world. But what consequences? i run over peopl and *might* get chased by cops wich i will flick the finger and lose or kill. And seeing the same npc pattern for the 100th time. im sorry but while the world is stunning its the gameplay wich is GTA´s atraction.

It's the world that does it for me, if the world was linear and static it wouldn't matter how good the game play was i wouldn't play it.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Well, I'm sane and played 32 hours (non-stop, just bathroom breaks) of GTA 4 and started forgetting what was real and not. Took a drive and almost started committing crimes, but got lucky and a cop saved me (was speeding) and put me in jail for 24 hours. I never felt like that for any other game, so you don't have to be crazy or anything to start getting violent.

Oh man, don't watch Breaking Bad or Dexter.  We would never hear from you again.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Ummm, don't take this the wrong way, but if can't distinguish between video games and real life, then maybe you aren't mentally equipped to play video games.  What you just described are not the actions of a sane person.  

Yes because those women are forced to be in those commercials.  Women use their sexuality they just put the guilt trip on guys like you who fall for it. Men and women are both used as sexual objects, just look at a hugo boss ad or diet coke.

forced? so the models who we see on tv in the next top model are all forced to do it? oh man what a skewed vieuw you have. Sex sells. and evryone is in it for the money that includes the model.

I punch women in GTA because i have the intelligence to know they are not real women but mere pixels. I find it funny that that would offend someone. hey you can kill as many male pixels as you like but if you punch one female pixel you're a bad person.

forced? so the models who we see on tv in the next top model are all forced to do it? oh man what a skewed vieuw you have. Sex sells. and evryone is in it for the money that includes the model.

i was being sarcastic. Women are not being mistreated when they themselves choose to be sex objects.

It's the world that does it for me, if the world was linear and static it wouldn't matter how good the game play was i wouldn't play it.

But issnt that gameplay what your talking about. Not the world itself but the posibility inside that world. thats what i mean with gameplay.

GTA is a pretty unique combination. it has great gameplay (both gameplay itself and the sandbox world) aka you can do whatever the hell you want. The story wich gets you right into that world. and the world itself looks very good. + you can be a bad guy.i think that is a golden combination done right by Rockstar. 

No other games are really like it thus its selling very well. and if other developers would try to get that same combination its gonna be a very daunting task. to be original enough.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Is it bad I'm disgusted by half the games on that list?
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Lol guessing this is sarcasm.  Can't be real.  

How did this game sell so much on a platform that will be gone shortly?  Not a console gamer, maybe there are good reasons for this I don't understand as a PC gamer.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Lol guessing this is sarcasm.  Can't be real.  

How did this game sell so much on a platform that will be gone shortly?  Not a console gamer, maybe there are good reasons for this I don't understand as a PC gamer.

Well because it is still unknow if gta 5 will come to the next gen consoles. I for one will probaply buy both consoles (exclusive titles) but will not be buying them first day. And they wont be gone. when the Ps3 released they still made games for the PS2 as far as a year after the release. Same will happen now i reckon.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I'm waiting for GTA to be released onto PC, should be entertaining. However this game is rated for 18 here in the UK, I have no problem with people playing it so long as they're 17years+. I see a lot of mothers in stores buying it for their children, when I say children I mean 8 - 15 year olds, hopefully one day they'll stop parents from buying this for their children. There are many solutions for that. .

I have a friend who bought this for her 11 year old son, He can only play while his parents are watching and the sound is muted so just in case he travels into a strip club or something I suppose that is fair enough, he isn't allowed to play on it on his own or while he has friends over, still wouldn't allow mine play it though.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Why is the fact that it's a single player game glossed over so readily?

GTA has been sandbox since the first one. Red Dead is the western version, Skyrim the fantasy version and so on.

But the moment you have to make a game world that introduces other players everything changes. Things that are fun in a single player game are not necessarily fun or viable in a MMO.

On top of all this, the MMO community expects MMO's to have 5-10 year life spans. GTA is made with a couple hundred hours in mind.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Wait..what? I don't think you can be classified as sane, if you ever have that happen and drugs are not involved. Oh and in what state do they lock you up 24hrs for speeding? I"ve never heard of that before.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Like the article that was just posted on this site, it means that if an MMO released with this kind of world, it would sell.But sandbox MMO's do not look or feel like the world in GTA. GTA has more detail than any MMO I've ever played.

But they could that's the thing. Many MMO's incorporate 1 or 2 things in its world that GTA has in a far more fleshed out form, they are being done half added. There is not a lot holding us back from an MMO on this scale other than developers who dare not take risks.

APB Reloaded was just the first step & 2 years have passed since its re-release.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by nilden

Check it out on vgchartz

So to anyone who ever said that there is no demand for sandbox open world games, I beg to differ. It's also not even released on PC yet or has the online included yet. This is pretty big news. Thoughts? What could this mean for games to come and MMORPGs in the future?

Over a billion. Just nuts.

I don't know of anyone here that ever said there was no demand for single-player sandbox open world games. Ever.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre