Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering buying the game. Is it still healthy?

13»

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by OldTimeGamer

I have already posted my review of this game via the forums and it can be found using the site's search facilities.

I assume you that this site does have search facilities although some uber fans will tell me this is a mere "claim".

So, though you didn't provide a link to your review, curiosity got the better of me, so I went ahead and found it.

What I read was kinda disappointing to be frank. It was more of a meandering, incoherent series of unrelated complaints than any kind of organized or well-reasoned review. More importantly, and most relevant to my previous request of you, however, it didn't provide examples of "feeble missions" or the "internal inconsistencies" you've referred to, which is what I was hoping to find in it.

The only thing in that entire post that could maybe fit the criteria, still doesn't say a whole lot as to what your actual problem was with it.

Here's the bit I'm referring to.

"There was one mission where you actually delivered a package for someone who seemed to be working for the bad guys but this was treated just like all the other missions."

It sounds like you're describing the mission "Rolls Downhill", in Kingsmouth. Assuming that's the one you're talking about (and I'm pretty certain it is), and that's how you characterize it, then you've failed to provide an example of "internal inconsistency" or "feeble missions".

If that's the one, can you please explain to me what your exact issue is with it? You seem to describe it as something "bad", but you don't really explain why (seems to be a "thing" with you).

Alternately, if you have some other specific examples to better illustrate either of your claims, by all means, share them.  If you're just going to continue dodging the question or giving vague non-answers, then just don't bother responding.

Why do you must waste your time attacking anyone who has differing views about TSW and then attack them more for the amount of time you have wasted doing this?

If TSW is so amazing, surely you should be spending your time actually playing it.

Don't try to swing this back on me. I'm not attacking anyone. I've asked for specific examples of a couple vague complaints you made about TSW. I've called out the fact that you've been dodging the request every step of the way, and keep throwing out diversions, rather than just providing some examples.

With how vocal and critical you've been about TSW in your relatively brief post history, I'd think you'd be thrilled to give specific examples to back up  your claims. All the more to tear the game down with! It's telling how defensive you become when asked to do so.

You dodged the first time by taking a passive-aggressive jab at my intelligence, questioning whether I'd be able to understand the inconsistencies if you pointed them out. I squashed that by pointing out that you don't know me well enough to make that judgment, and that there are a number of reasons why I might not be aware of such things.

I then asked you again to please provide examples for your assertions.

You dodged the second time by saying to go read your review, also making sure to get in a snarky and unnecessary jab about "claims". I took the time to read the review, found it didn't provide anything to back up your statements.

I asked you for further examples/explanation yet again.

Now you come back and accuse me of attacking you.

It should be clear to anyone at this point of what you're doing. The reason you're dodging requests to give examples is because you can't.

If you can't back up your claims with solid, verifiable examples, then there's no reason for anyone to take them as anything but baseless, unsupported ranting.

And, no, that's not an "attack". That's a frank and fair assessment of your reactions/responses throughout this exchange.

With that, I'm done with this "discussion", as it clearly has become a waste of time.

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87

You are again wasting your own time, as you have finally admitted  to yourself.

I should point out I have been known to recommend The Secret World on the LFGame forum, if someone seems to be a good fit.

People suited to TSW should play it if they want to but other people can hold perfectly valid differing views about this game.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I think it's quite healthy and it seems there's no problem finding a group. Just played it after a break and LFG channel was very active.
  • HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Been playing for a while now and I regret my purchase. The PvE quests are interesting if you like reading/searching the web. The ability wheel is interesting - choose anything - but IMO just makes your choice not all that big of a deal. The no level take is interesting - but imo there is a level system it just takes longer to figure out. The crafting system well didn't like it - its not intuitive, fills up your inv with a ton of itmes that all look close to the same! The PvP is bad to non-existant. Suprising since the pre-game nearly broke facebook - with everyone and their brother choosing sides.

Three secret societies(kinda) all soloing through stories and then stanindg around in crazy clothes screaming "LFG" to do the next private instance.

I like the storyline but nothing to keep it an MMO instead of a solo rpg.

Just my 2 yuans worth

Indeed.

Asking you for examples to support your claims is a waste of time.

We agree on something. Awesome. Let's call it a high note and end on that.

Originally posted by Hersaint

Been playing for a while now and I regret my purchase. The PvE quests are interesting if you like reading/searching the web.

The investigation missions require looking stuff up, but that's only a small portion of the missions in the game, and they're entirely skip-able if you don't like them (and there are those who don't). Most of them are purely objective based, though the objectives can be tricky to achieve at times.

The ability wheel is interesting - choose anything - but IMO just makes your choice not all that big of a deal.

Oh, not at all. Picking your skills is where TSW's ability systems begins. Your choices matter quite a lot.

Give this article a look. It explains the concept behind the Skill Wheel, Actives and Passives, the concept of 'Synergy', and why your skill choices are very important to how you fight and how effective you are.

To wit, the Skill system in TSW is actually quite deep, though it doesn't seem that way at first.

The no level take is interesting - but imo there is a level system it just takes longer to figure out.

It's not a traditional "level 1, level 10, level 30", etc... deal. There are "tiers" or "Quality Levels" of difficulty and such. However, you'll find those "tiers" are not as cut-and-dry as they are in other MMOs. If you're a level 50 character in your typical MMO, you can go into a level 10 area, be attacked by an entire area's worth of mobs, and not be scratched.

Try doing the equivalent in TSW (a QL10 in a QL3 area, etc), and you'll have a rather different experience. You can still find yourself in hot water fairly easily if you're not careful, and if your gear isn't up to snuff. Character progression is much more flat.

The crafting system well didn't like it - its not intuitive, fills up your inv with a ton of itmes that all look close to the same! The PvP is bad to non-existant. Suprising since the pre-game nearly broke facebook - with everyone and their brother choosing sides.

Crafting is hit or miss. You either love it or you hate it. I personally really enjoy it, but at first I couldn't stand it. It seemed "too weird" to me. Once I got a handle on it, though, I came to be rather fond of it. Def. not for everyone, though, agreed.

Three secret societies(kinda) all soloing through stories and then stanindg around in crazy clothes screaming "LFG" to do the next private instance.

You'll see that in Agartha, sure. Elsewhere, though, people are also running missions together, doing Lair runs, doing dungeons, doing their "10ks", PvP'ing, etc. Speaking for my own Cabal, at least, I can tell you we are quite active, and people are always out doing a variety of things. I don't think anyone's ever standing around shouting for instances.

If you'd be interested, I can PM you my in-game character name and perhaps you can give my Cabal a try? I think you'll find your experience can be improved quite a lot. They're a good group. Your call, but I just wanted to leave the offer open.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Indeed.

Asking you for examples to support your claims is a waste of time.

We agree on something. Awesome. Let's call it a high note and end on that.

Actually the way you are wasting your time is actively, continuously badgering people for any hint of dissent.

You claimed you would stop with me, and yet you carried on again.

Then you go on to attack another person in much the same manner.

You must be really bored with The Secret World to do this instead of playing the game itself.

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

Sorry OldTimeGamer but he got a point

if you criticize something you need to prove your point with example or information otherwise you are not contributing to the discussion.

if i get in here and say "the game is awesome" and leave is moronic at best.

Especially when you criticize you need to justify you critique, in internet there is too much people that enjoy the noise of the finger on the keyboard while writing bashing comments.

if you dont you just sound like a troll of the worst kind

Originally posted by Pekish79

Sorry OldTimeGamer but he got a point

if you criticize something you need to prove your point with example or information otherwise you are not contributing to the discussion.

if i get in here and say "the game is awesome" and leave is moronic at best.

Especially when you criticize you need to justify you critique, in internet there is too much people that enjoy the noise of the finger on the keyboard while writing bashing comments.

if you dont you just sound like a troll of the worst kind

That was an interesting exchange, to say the least.

I've had people get agitated when I asked them to back up their statements (particularly when they couldn't... or at least not well). But that's honestly the first time someone's ever accused me of "attacking" them over it.

An over-reaction to say the least.

And the irony is that I continue to recommend The Secret World to people who seem a good fit for the game.

And the irony is that I continue to recommend The Secret World to people who seem a good fit for the game.

It's puzzling how personally you're taking this all.

You know what this is all over? Me asking you to give specific examples of a couple vague statements you made.

This has been the exchange in a nutshell:

Me: "Your remarks are a bit vague. Can you give examples of "internal inconsistencies" and "feeble missions"?

You: "Are you saying people can't find the missions feeble? If you haven't seen any internal inconsistencies, then you probably wouldn't understand them if I pointed them out".

Me: "I'm just curious of what you found feeble about them. Regarding "not understanding inconsistenceis", you don't know me well enough to make that judgment, and anyway, there are many reasons I may not have witnessed any inconsistencies. Could you provide some examples?"

You: "I have a review. You do know there's a search function, right?"

Me: "Okay, I read your review. It's rather meandering, and doesn't really explain anything. I did read this one bit about a mission -quotes bit-, which seems to be referring to the "Rolls Downhill" mission in Kingsmouth. Can you explain what you found wrong with that?

You: "You're attacking me for having a negative opinion of the game!"

No one in their right mind would see that exchange and say "Gee, TangentPoint really is attacking OldTimeGamer". They'd see me attempting to get more information from you regarding statements you've made. They'd see you dodging the requests, getting hyper-defensive and accusing me of attacking and censoring you.

As for the "censoring" bit. Seriously?

Fun Fact: Censoring someone is trying to get them to stop speaking; to stifle them. Asking someone to provide more information or elaborate is the complete opposite; it's encouraging discussion. Can you please quote where I have, in any way, attempted to stifle or stop you from posting?

To wit: You haven't been attacked. No attempt has been made to censor you. Your dramatic over-reactions and false accusations notwithstanding, you've been asked to provide specific examples to illustrate/support statements you've made. Nothing more. Nothing less. Period. End of discussion.

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I dropped in today to do the quantum quest line. I haven't played for almost a year. There is a lot I like about TSW. After playing GW2 for a while, the animation in TSW does look a bit clunky (e.g., strafing, dodging). But I don't care about that because what I Iike about the game makes up for it. There are flaws, too, but the unique aspects of this game make it worth playing for me. 

Time - 10:20 AM Eastern and 7:20 AM Pacific, so it's a bit early on Saturday morning in the US, but surely there are some Oceanic or Asian players on Leviathan? It's the time I play, so that's what I care about.

These are the numbers I saw:

Agartha 20-25 people standing around

London at the bank = 0

Seoul at Dragon HQ = 0

Kingsmouth, everywhere I went from Sheriff's to Edgar's = 0

I'm bit a concerned about the population. Someone please give me some good news, especially for Oceanic/East Asia players.  Are they on a different server? Leviathan is a low pop server?

It depends on the time, and on the Dimension. Some Dimensions seem to be more populated than others (Grim is typically more busy in my experience). Good thing is, Dimensions aren't like "servers" or "worlds" in other MMOs. Your character's based on your home Dimension, but you can switch to others to meet up with other players, etc. It's like one big server, broken down into separate "versions". Kind of like instances, but not really.

The game seems to be more heavily populated during the EST Prime Time hours (at least on Grim). Sometimes I see tons of people about, other times, not so much. But there's always a population.

Also, regarding Agartha, there's an event going on, where the Filth is beginning to seep in. It's a lead-up to the release of Tokyo (will be a major release, spanning 3 or 4 Issues at least, as well as all new missions, etc). Right now, a lot of people are participating in that event and are hanging out on the portal platform where it's being held. I'm sure the Tokyo release is going to bring a lot back as well, as many people seem to be waiting on that, playing other stuff in the meantime, etc.

If you haven't played in a year, there's tons of content to catch up with, as well. All the launch stuff, issues 5-7 (which are great - Last Train to Cairo is brilliant, IMO. A real "high adventure", Indiana Jones vibe), etc.

I'm in a Cabal that literally has a global presence (people in the US, Germany, Netherlands, China, etc), and is pretty big. So there's always people on and they tend to always be doing something (Elites, Nightmares, Lair Runs, PvP, 10ks, etc, etc). If you'd like, I can look into getting you an invite. Great group of people, very active and very helpful. I'm sure they'd welcome you in. If you're interested, let me know and I'll PM you my character name, and that of someone who can invite you. What Secret Society are you in? That will determine who invites you, if you're interested.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I just started playing this game a few weeks ago and yes its still pretty healthy. Havent had a problem finding people to group with. I am having a BLAST playing as well!

I highly recommend this game!!! The environments are amazing, the quests are all fun and challenging (you actually have to research!) Dont cheat and use guides though, figure it out on our own and with research and you will ahve an amazingly fun time! So many build options and variations to setups.

The only problem I find is the SO many damn people are on the illuminatis...........they are so over numbered!

Originally posted by drtack1

The only problem I find is the SO many damn people are on the illuminatis...........they are so over numbered!

And what's wrong with that? :p

Us Illuminati are nice people! And we throw great parties! And we have Kirsten Geary!

Numbers certainly don't help us in PvP, and our version of the "London Underground" mission is considered the toughest of them. So.. It balances out :p

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

The population is very healthy however it does tend to go in phases when new updates or Issues are released.  This is the same with many MMORPG’s these days.  The current event The Whispering Tide is a great example of “calling” players back into the game.

This is something many games are doing now, many more events, holidays events, one off’s etc.  Lotro/GW2 both do this.

Seriously go and buy this game.  It gives you a great game to play, fantastic community to interact with and a great bunch of “Jolly Old Developers”!

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

It is a fun game, that really makes you think.  Remember over thinking a few of the puzzles then you slap your forehead for how simple the answer actually was.

The story was good as well, listening to each NPC as they tell you about their lives or just something else was a nice touch. 

Nice how you could build your character anyway you choose with how all power/skills are open to you.

It's also what I consider the few remaining real RPing games out there, with it's atmosphere and other items it makes a great RP game.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by drtack1

I just started playing this game a few weeks ago and yes its still pretty healthy. Havent had a problem finding people to group with. I am having a BLAST playing as well!

I highly recommend this game!!! The environments are amazing, the quests are all fun and challenging (you actually have to research!) Dont cheat and use guides though, figure it out on our own and with research and you will ahve an amazingly fun time! So many build options and variations to setups.

I'm Dragon. I understand what you're saying. 

I think most of the EU people roll Templar. The Americans like to roll Lumie. The oddballs and eccentrics like me roll Dragon. So often, the balance depends on the time you play. Fusang shifts during the prime times of EU and NA. However, I'm on Leviathan which seems to have the most Dragons I've seen on any other world. 

Haven't pvp'ed for a year though, so I don't know how the Fusang balance issues are these days.

Templar (American here) is where it's at >.< don't listen to those Dragon scum!