Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$20 Million! RSI just hit the mark a few minutes ago.

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

RSI and Cloud Imperium, makers of Star Citizen just hit the $20 million mark - all from crowd funding.   Amazing.

Star Citizen  <<<< clicky

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'm very glad it has

I'm looking forward to see what can be accomplished without a publisher, success or failure.

I'm hoping for a great game. Funding definitely wont be an excuse for a bad one.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This is going to start working against them soon...

The more funds they get, the more stretch goals are included in the final release target. As any IT vet will tell you, simply doubling the budget for an IT project does not mean you can double the output in the same timeframe.

The more people you add to a team, the less productive work each individual does. That's because more and more time has to be spent on co-ordinating what everyone's doing, and managing the project progression and dealing with HR issues and having discussions about which brand of coffee the fewest people object to, etc.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The more funds they get, the more stretch goals are included in the final release target. As any IT vet will tell you, simply doubling the budget for an IT project does not mean you can double the output in the same timeframe.

The more people you add to a team, the less productive work each individual does. That's because more and more time has to be spent on co-ordinating what everyone's doing, and managing the project progression and dealing with HR issues and having discussions about which brand of coffee the fewest people object to, etc.

What mmo rolls out with a complete game and adds nothing?

Money is simply time. Time to make planetary launch apparently, according to the new video.

But i disagree. You can manage many teams working on a different feature each. Especially when you have a complete engine to work from, from the start. You just need someone experienced making the important decisions and not a corporate bone head that never made a game before, let alone a space game. You need someone that puts man power where and when it is called for; you do not need someone inexperienced sitting on a board saying things like we need to cut spending; all the while they spend $100,000.00 for a eagle sculpture for their back yard to impress all his board meeting buddies. Might as well flush the whole project if you are not going do what needs to be done when it needs to be done for someone that knows what is needed.

But it takes money.

We can not eat promises unfortunately.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The letter that comes with the announcement addresses your concerns.  Most of the features were already planned for the game, and they aren't under any obligation to have them all in on launch day. 

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13284-Letter-From-The-Chairman-20-Million

Also, "coordinating" is a word.  Hyphen not required.  ;)

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Well I'm certainly looking forward to the dogfighting module. I would wager BF4 will keep me busy until that.

It's good to be a PC gamer.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Well I'm certainly looking forward to the dogfighting module. I would wager BF4 will keep me busy until that.

It's good to be a PC gamer.

With no MMO's worth playing right now, I'll be in BF4 as well.  I much prefer an MMORPG, but it is what it is.  There's more "player interaction" in shooters these days anyway.. haha

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

As a previous IT guy myself, I see your point, but I think you made a huge assumption, by thinking they will add a ton more people to the staff

What this really means, is they now have more time to develop the game, without a publisher breathing down their necks.

That is what destroys MMOs, being rushed out the door by money grubbing publishers, like SOE for example