Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Ask the Devs a question" thread! (Not suggestions)

Comments

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

@Stealth & Sniper:

There will be sniper weapons, and we want you to have many possiblities to change your armor, tint it etc so you can appear very stealthy, but we won't have a button that makes you invisible as of now. Ofc this might change at some point, but no promises.

i have an idea for ork stealth:

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• OdolusasOdolusas Member Posts: 30

I have read few post earlier that Mister Patrick mentioned jumping from planet to planet when campaign is over.

This i dont like because i would like to have overwhelming story about one planet , so that planet would have some value behind, and as to why all races want it ,not just jump every few months from one to another.

I think this jumping from one planet to another is silly, and i would like one persistent planet whit deep STORY behind it.

What Devs should do is split planet in to like 10 War Zones, and each War Zone would be one campaign of 2 weeks to 3 months.

So you constantly unlock new ones as old ones are over, BUT every several campaign you would return to some old ones, that you have already beaten.

This way you would have chance to return to old battlegrounds and retake something that you failed in last ones.

So it would be like this:

1,2,3 jump to 1

4,5,6 jump to 4

7,8,9 jump to 2

10 jump to3, jump to 8, jump to 9, jump to 4, jump to 7, jump to 1, and so on as you unlock all campaigns.

Every campaign should have different climate (snow,desert,tropical,jungle) and objectives that no other place have, like Titan manifactorum that only one map on planet should have or something else. So ppl would like to return to the previous campaign and try to capture something that they failed during last campaign.

This recycling of 10 campaign on single planet would help developers so they dont need to recreate a world every month or so ,as that is ridiculous to me, and to hard to keep going.

This way ,what ever you do on one campaign on planet, would affect your other campaigns and you could have PERSISTENT events that affect you no matter what campaign you are on atm.

For example space hulk emerging every 3D6 days above the planet that you and you enemy can board when it appear above no matter on what campaign you are now.

This i already  wrote about on my own thread (Implementing simple but unique features in WH40k Eternal Crusade) and there is 1 to 15 marked by number features and this one i wrote here is the number 8.

If Devs dont know what story to implement in the game that would be based on single planet and how to organically add new Races ,Chapters / Warbands of same  factions, LOOK at my own all ready mentioned thread, feature going by the number of 15 and goes by the name (The story and the setting of the game)it is the last one i wrote.

There it is written on how would a single planet story go by. I think you can find something there that can help you on how to create story and give it some creative direction for the single planet development of the game (if you decide to go the way, i hope you do).

What i wrote there is more radical approach for story, and is not the (run of the mill) stuff that we have seen so many times before in almost all wh40k games.

So take a look and tell me what you think.

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Odolusas

What Devs should do is split planet in to like 10 War Zones, and each War Zone would be one campaign of 2 weeks to 3 months.

-suggestions-

thats the plan atm but GW gave em a whole solar system, so only 1 planet would be a waste! exspecialy since there are so many different kinds of worlds (deathworlds etc)

and this is the question thread not suggestions. we got already 2 threads for suggestions so please dont make a 3rd out of this :P

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

Savij - yes i know what this tread is for ,but i needed to put this here as it is a big concern of mine regarding what i mentioned in previous post.

Having several planets in one Solar System, but all inhabitable (what heresy is this?).

One planet should be main spot for game, and you can add after lets say mining moon whit 1 war zone, and one closest planet ( in same solar system) that is barely inhabitable whit 2 new war zones and above the main planet the space hulk that appears from time to time, but several fully inhabitable planets whit life and trees and animals is very unrealistic to me.

Having one planet that is fully inhabitable and is center of the game and one moon and one barely inhabitable planet is what i think could be good but beyond that no.

This moon and one barely inhabitable planet would be very different from main planet and here to GIVE fresh ,unseen ,different experience from main planet full of life, but should not be the main progressor of the story, but just to give some diversity to gameplay and ambient of the battlefield.

As i love nature, trees and fresh air very much i would like main planet to be full of life so i can wage war one hour and then go to the other part of the planet when no one is there and enjoy the SCENERY of forests and live ambient.

As waging war is the point of the game that rises adrenalin in the player , there should be parts of the game that separate you from it and add TRANQUILITY to your mind, relieving you from tension and readying you for war and adrenalin yet again.

As i dont want to be 100% time tense while playing the game i think this is as must (enjoying the scenery) to break the tension, and the games of (MMOs and RPGs) genre should have it.

So remember having players just for few seconds look at the blue sky of beautiful scenery is a big + to me. Ofc you cant do that if it is not in the game, so having it is a must to me.

I may be Chaos guy but i love nature too :P

But as this is ask the devs questions i will ask one so this does not become full blown suggestion thread and that question is:

Will there be hard copy expansions that will add new races and classes for those races, as i dont want them to be dlc or patch as you the Devs should be rewarded for your work and such expansions would give you big financial support for the game and keep players involved by giving them a lot of the new content.

As is think you should go whit Buy to play + microtransactions + expansions business model to support the game.

So how will that business model be managed?

p.s

Please let there be hard copy expansions.

• PolicenautPolicenaut Member Posts: 21
    I'm having a difficult time discerning what you're trying to convey but from what I understand is you don't want jumping from planet to planet because you want story? I'm not getting the impression that story will be an important facet of the game. Naturally there will be some lore but I'd imagine that any backstory given will be a vehicle for the gameplay. 

warhammer 40k it's more "background story" than "narrative story". You don't need a narration, but simply some fact and event who justify why you fight.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133

Originally posted by Policenaut

@Stealth & Sniper:

There will be sniper weapons, and we want you to have many possiblities to change your armor, tint it etc so you can appear very stealthy, but we won't have a button that makes you invisible as of now. Ofc this might change at some point, but no promises.

Will sniper weapons be hitscan? 

all bullet based weapons will be some sort of hitscan, but since we are not a first person shooter and don't want to be depending on latency too much we will have RPG elements included there and have special functions to determine if you hit and how you hit. to the player itself will look like hitscan with a bit randomness which will give a more realistic feel. this is one of the topics I might elaborate about at some point when it's final - like most of our mechanics and systems this might all change in future and i refer to current state of code and the fun it represents so far :)

Originally posted by grigdusher

Again big thx Savij!

@Updates/Expansins:

We will update the game with additional armor, weapons, vehicles, (flyers), races, classes, world parts, planets, spaceships...I think we got currently ideas and plans for most of them for half the century LOL. We will not stop developing the game and we will not stop adding new things to it - well at least as long we have players :)

so flyer are confirmed but after release?

on the release we will se the "on rail" flyer? (like a dropship)

no - we didn't confirm them, but we want them too, that means that after release is the earliest when they can happen :)

maybe the best way to put it is, if players identify it's the most wanted feature after release it is highly likely we will add it !!!

Originally posted by Savij

-suggestions-

thats the plan atm but GW gave em a whole solar system, so only 1 planet would be a waste! exspecialy since there are so many different kinds of worlds (deathworlds etc)

and this is the question thread not suggestions. we got already 2 threads for suggestions so please dont make a 3rd out of this :P

For release there will only be one planet ... that said, again, this is current plan and might change also depending on a lot e.g. preorders, suddenly more money, bigger team, etc...

again, best way to put it, 1 planet for sure, multiple regions/continents, very big all - lets just say vehicles will be needed to get in time to combat zones, and travelling and the time it takes is an element of strategy that has to be calculated in :)

Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

@Stealth & Sniper:

Will sniper weapons be hitscan? 

all bullet based weapons will be some sort of hitscan, but since we are not a first person shooter and don't want to be depending on latency too much we will have RPG elements included there and have special functions to determine if you hit and how you hit. to the player itself will look like hitscan with a bit randomness which will give a more realistic feel. this is one of the topics I might elaborate about at some point when it's final - like most of our mechanics and systems this might all change in future and i refer to current state of code and the fun it represents so far :)

I'm assuming you're talking about more than just cone-of-fire bloom? That'll be interesting, looking forward to it. I know your hands are tied for a lot of questions since you guys are so early in development so I'll just keep a heads up. Thanks again for the answers!

Policenaut - i said planet whit deep story not character whit deep story, so no i am not asking here for GW2 personal story i am asking here for background of the planet , of why it is important ,and not just some RANDOM world that you conquer and leave behind never to turn back.

So story for the planet ,its background, and its importance, and that is why story should be focused on one single planet and everything else should be just added around that to support it i think.

• MrPaydayMrPayday Member Posts: 1

I'll ask two questions

How does advancement work? Will I become a sergeant or captain if I win enough battles? Will I be wearing mastercrafted gear with a cool power weapon if I play Space Marines enough?

Also will you have banners that give an area buff like in Warhammer Online?

Policenaut - i said planet whit deep story not character whit deep story, so no i am not asking here for GW2 personal story i am asking here for background of the planet , of why it is important ,and not just some RANDOM world that you conquer and leave behind never to turn back.

So story for the planet ,its background, and its importance, and that is why story should be focused on one single planet and everything else should be just added around that to support it i think.

ok so just in general, I think it was already said, but just to make sure:

There will be some story (yes we got writers for that) but expect the main story to be written by the players themselves - they decide the future of the planet, not a story writer ;)

Originally posted by MrPayday

I'll ask two questions

How does advancement work? Will I become a sergeant or captain if I win enough battles? Will I be wearing mastercrafted gear with a cool power weapon if I play Space Marines enough?

Also will you have banners that give an area buff like in Warhammer Online?

there will be some political ranks in the game, not only to have distinction, but also to lead the faction and give orders and objectives. Still everyone can choose to follow those leaders or not, but there will be benefits in following them, and there will be a system that will determine who is going to be the leader, you can also expect that new game players will not be able to become leaders on day one, therefore we will choose probable the leaders on release from the beta phases in some way. So military ranks will be some sort of representation of seniority ofc.

Weapos and Armor will be customizable - how exactly is something that will be revealed later, but if you have played Space Marine, you probably have a good idea on whats the minimal plan for this.

We have talked about banners, warcrys and group buffs, but again, something that we will reveal later when it has been set in stone how those mechanics will exactly work.

Patrick Balthazar

• DecisiveRaindropDecisiveRaindrop Member Posts: 17
    What is the plan on spreading the word of Eternal Crusade? There are so many loyal servants of the Emprah that are oblivious to the game. How do you plan on spreading the glorious universe that is 40k to the unaware masses? This game is a great opportunity to make 40k as big as it was meant to be, to be able to finally upstage the likes of Halo, or StarCraft. If you have a great advertising plan, we can greatly expect more games and more movies on 40k, and possible fantasy. But that is if you can get adds on the internet or on YouTube or even on T.V. You might even be able to get GW to lend a bit more money for advertisement.
  • windbringerwindbringer Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by DecisiveRaindrop
    What is the plan on spreading the word of Eternal Crusade? There are so many loyal servants of the Emprah that are oblivious to the game. How do you plan on spreading the glorious universe that is 40k to the unaware masses? This game is a great opportunity to make 40k as big as it was meant to be, to be able to finally upstage the likes of Halo, or StarCraft. If you have a great advertising plan, we can greatly expect more games and more movies on 40k, and possible fantasy. But that is if you can get adds on the internet or on YouTube or even on T.V. You might even be able to get GW to lend a bit more money for advertisement.

A lot of fans have been helping spread the news, i post every update on red thirst(steam group one of the eternal crusade developers did a QnA with us) as well as a few other sites.

I hope that it is well advertised and gets a lot of players but i would hate to see them streamline it or simplify the involvement of the warhammer 40k universe for the sake of getting non warhammer and mainstream players, if they don't give us the full glory that is warhammer 40k there will be blood.

The developers seam loyal to the emperor and the universe so i am not to worried.

Now for a question: you guys will be at the games workshop games day yes? will there be a games day reveal with some news, maybe the next race? the forums?  Also you had better take a lot of pictures.

The mind of the Farseer is utterly inhuman in its depth and complexity. Without mercy or moral feeling, his consciousness stands upon the edge of spiritual destruction. That he does not fall must be a result of constraints and balances that only an Eldar could understand. To a mere Human it is yet another reminder that we are but children in comparison to that ancient and powerful race.

Originally posted by windbringer

Now for a question: you guys will be at the games workshop games day yes? will there be a games day reveal with some news, maybe the next race? the forums?  Also you had better take a lot of pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/miguel.caron.52

miguel caron, Steven pierce lumpkin, Brent Ellison, David Ghozland.

https://twitter.com/Silent0siris/status/383251604696072192

Coordinating and prepping with @dghozland and more for Games Day 2013!

Sooo exciting ! We need to take as many photos as possible for the guys back home  <a data-cke-saved-href="https://twitter.com/Silent0siris"; href="https://twitter.com/Silent0siris"; pretty-link"="" dir="ltr">@Silent0siris

• GitzStompaGitzStompa Member Posts: 54

Has the EC team thought about adding wildlife? Such as those giant boars that Snakebites tame and use as cavalry? Or Perhaps some other wildlife things that we haven't seen/heard about yet?:)

• Trackz5680Trackz5680 Member Posts: 7

That's right, don't the Space Wolves have a Wolf Cavalry?

Almost forgot about that, good point.

Originally posted by GitzStompa

Has the EC team thought about adding wildlife? Such as those giant boars that Snakebites tame and use as cavalry? Or Perhaps some other wildlife things that we haven't seen/heard about yet?:)

the planet it's full of tiranids i dubt some form of wildlive not mutate survive, i imagine we will see some mutated plant and tiranids.

Actually that begs a few questions:

1) what level on infestation has the planet undergone?

2) Are there indigenous cultures / wildlife still left on the planet and what can we expect to see (in the opening game) from them?

3) Gene stealers were notorious for infesting / infecting local population and wildlife (what they didn't eat were used as meat puppets). Will a player come  across a seemingly uninfected town only to find out that the towns people are just walking hosts?

4) and finally - is it just too early to tell us any of this?

There are a lot of interesting encounters this dynamic could represent, beyond simply clearing an instance.

A interesting resource could be the people we liberate from a tyranid infestation (they could hold a relic or intel)....or destroy if we're evil...etc etc..

Originally posted by Trackz5680

Actually that begs a few questions:

1) what level on infestation has the planet undergone?

2) Are there indigenous cultures / wildlife still left on the planet and what can we expect to see (in the opening game) from them?

3) Gene stealers were notorious for infesting / infecting local population and wildlife (what they didn't eat were used as meat puppets). Will a player come  across a seemingly uninfected town only to find out that the towns people are just walking hosts?

4) and finally - is it just too early to tell us any of this?

There are a lot of interesting encounters this dynamic could represent, beyond simply clearing an instance.

A interesting resource could be the people we liberate from a tyranid infestation (they could hold a relic or intel)....or destroy if we're evil...etc etc..

well I think you answered already in 4) 

But let me give you a bit more info here - the planet was probably already be occupied by the races, one of them, multiple of them before EC actually begins. I don't think there is any room for any living being left, since there is 5 factions fighting over the planet - and again, this is speculations here form me too, because most of these questions are just to early to ask.

In general I leave the explaination to our writers and designers for how EC is starting an what happened before. My focus is make it work :)

Patrick Balthazar

Well I appreciate you taking the time to put your perspective into the questions. I knew these type of questions would probably be too early to ask.

Can't blame me for trying :)

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

How involved is GW in the creation of 40KEC? 

Also, you finished modeling/painting your Black Templars yet? Just finished mine, but adding another batch of Neophytes, rocking 20 man groups of Space Marines. Black Tide, yo.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

Originally posted by freakishbean

How involved is GW in the creation of 40KEC? 

Also, you finished modeling/painting your Black Templars yet? Just finished mine, but adding another batch of Neophytes, rocking 20 man groups of Space Marines. Black Tide, yo.

GW is a great partner, and our guys have just been over there to visit them (Nottingham/UK) - they help us to keep true to the lore and are always there to answer questions. They don't tell us what the game must be, but they sign of all the art and assets that they look the way they are supposed to look.

and no - last few weeks have been very busy here, I hope I get a bit more time soon again, haven't even had time to finish Space Hulk ;) I'll post pics when I am done with them :D

Patrick Balthazar

Will the Mark II - VIII Power Armor be available as customizations for SM/CSM? 

This question is in no way a thinly-veiled suggestion. 

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

I smell Cash shop options >.<

Srsly though, anything less than Mark V armor I don't really care about :p.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Razephon

I smell Cash shop options >.<

Srsly though, anything less than Mark V armor I don't really care about :p.

HERESY!

Seriously. I want some Mark V Heresy style armor. Love da bumps.

When it comes to customization - will we be able to place things such as scrolls, banners, tabards, runes, dangly bits, etc. *anywhere* we want on our character, or will it mostly be pre-posed stuff? I say this because, honestly, I want to see a marine with a completely laughable amount of purity seals covering every inch of armor.

He'd look like a pinata.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.