Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Poll! Fast Travel!

2»

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    I don't want to unlock fast travel by going the long way first. I do want player abilities. F'd up the poll choices.

EQNext with a 100% certainty isnt going to be for you anyway.  Stick with EQ1 or FFXI.

Not that i dont want to see a similar game to those again, but EQN isnt going to be it remotely.  you will hate it with a passion so just save yourself the frustration

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    • Fast travel with limitations, such as only via player abilities or requiring you to visit "the long way" first.

This must be the way they are planning to do it regardless of the poll. Why? This option stands out from the others.

Just look at smokejumper's response to it.  this is what they are going to do.

I do wonder if 85% people said they wanted to take 30 minutes if they would change their mind

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by boobot
    Hell no. Make me walk make me mount. I do not want to be able to free fly. If instant travel is necessary make it limited. I want to see the world as much as possible.

You're not the first one to express such a desire, and it always puzzles me. Why do you need the game to force you to walk? Nearly every game with fast travel allows you to walk the very same route. You could do this yourself without the game holding your hand.

Personally, I'd rather have the option to fast travel if I need to like in Skyrim. If I only have an hour or so to play, I don't want to spend 30 minutes getting to a location. However, on a weekend when I might have a few hours to spare, I'll walk around and explore.

• OnisDEOnisDE Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Bring back boats!
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by syriinx
    • Fast travel with limitations, such as only via player abilities or requiring you to visit "the long way" first.

This must be the way they are planning to do it regardless of the poll. Why? This option stands out from the others.

Just look at smokejumper's response to it.  this is what they are going to do.

I do wonder if 85% people said they wanted to take 30 minutes if they would change their mind

There was an interview with Dave a couple of months ago regarding fast travel and EQN.  He all but confirmed that it was going to be in, mostly, I think, as a convenience option (and prob with a SC price tag option as well).  I don't have the link, but it is out there.

I mentioned in a thread a while ago that the Round Table gives the appearance that the players have a voice in the decision making process.  It seems that is truly the case now.  It is evident that it is just another marketing tool to gather attention and maintain interest.  While that is not a bad thing, it is disingenuous for SOE to put on airs that they are listening and their customers have a voice in the decision process. 

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Drakephire

You're not the first one to express such a desire, and it always puzzles me. Why do you need the game to force you to walk? Nearly every game with fast travel allows you to walk the very same route. You could do this yourself without the game holding your hand.

Its because I find it immersive. Having no fast travel makes the game world feel more like an actual place. If I'm in some distant location of the game world and I know its a 10 minutes walk to reach the nearest town, it makes me feel like I'm out in wild. If there is a fast travel portal around the corner it kind of ruins the fun. Of course you don't need to use the fast travel options, but it feels like climbing a mountain that also has a bus stop at the peak.

Tits true, travelling from Ironforge to Darnassus in WoW is boring, but in EQN I expect travel to be different. The world is very dynamic. You never know what you will encounter along the road next time.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Sengi

Its because I find it immersive. Having no fast travel makes the game world feel more like an actual place. If I'm in some distant location of the game world and I know its a 10 minutes walk to reach the nearest town, it makes me feel like I'm out in wild. If there is a fast travel portal around the corner it kind of ruins the fun. Of course you don't need to use the fast travel options, but it feels like climbing a mountain that also has a bus stop at the peak.

Tits true, travelling from Ironforge to Darnassus in WoW is boring, but in EQN I expect travel to be different. The world is very dynamic. You never know what you will encounter along the road next time.

What if fast travel wasn't clicking on a map location or using a hotbar ability but rather requires exploration itself? Seek out a wandering transporter or teleport shrine to go to places already discovered. They would be generated and have limited uses and be uncommon to find. Of course, that doesn't really help with gathering with friends.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Sengi

What if fast travel wasn't clicking on a map location or using a hotbar ability but rather requires exploration itself? Seek out a wandering transporter or teleport shrine to go to places already discovered. They would be generated and have limited uses and be uncommon to find. Of course, that doesn't really help with gathering with friends.

It could help with gathering friends if the portals or transporters could be tracked down and people could build or gather near them. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Just do it like Darkfall does it.  People can port you but the regeant for the port is pretty rare.  There are also portals but they are very dangerous...all depends if there is open world pvp in this game.  It all really makes you feel like you've accomplished something when you reach a far away land.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    25% of people want to spend 30 minutes just getting to their group.  Holy crap.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    I don't want to unlock fast travel by going the long way first. I do want player abilities. F'd up the poll choices.

EQNext with a 100% certainty isnt going to be for you anyway.  Stick with EQ1 or FFXI.

Not that i dont want to see a similar game to those again, but EQN isnt going to be it remotely.  you will hate it with a passion so just save yourself the frustration

Those games don't exist anymore.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    I voted for let the group wait.  I am going to be playing a Ranger and Rangers love to explorer.  Besides, when I get to the raid on time then have to wait 45 minutes for the raid to come together then they deserve to wait.    I figure they will have Wizard Spires or Druid Rings within 15 minutes of most of the world then I can still get to my group in 30 minutes.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I would like to see travel be class defined as it was in old EQ1..  I might even be open to allowing portala similar to that of spires that open up a gate between 2 points every fixed hour? or defined time..  I despise fast travel and lobby based mechanics..
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

This isn't something that's appropriate for every game just because it worked in EQ 1.

For the game to not have fast travel and be enjoyable, it needs to be rewarding to be in one place and the surrounding area for an extended period.     While you were leveling in EQ 1, you didn't really need to travel much.   You weren't missing world events or missing out on ! quests that had your legs and bracers or something.    If you were camped out in mistmoore at level 25, it was fine to also still be camped out there at level 31 or whatever.

Think about what EQ 1 would have been like if ti was desirable to change locations every hour and a half as is the case with the games today.    That would have been obnoxious as hell.

I was a cleric in EQ classic and I still remember my leveling path because it ended up being so simple.

Nektulos to level 8 or something.

Befallen to 20ish

Cazic Thule to 34ish

Then Lower guk/sol b.   to 50.   The hike from lower guk to sol b and back represented the majority of my travelng in EQ 1 and that wasn't an overly long trip.   It would have been fine to just sit in guk and not even bother with sol b if I didnt feel like it.

If EQN isn't going to have fast travel, stuff like that should be not only possible but maybe even preferable.   I doubt it will be.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    ...and then there is the unknown amount of the minecraft element which is a bit different of a motivator for travel. In those types of games you either camp out in a spot to build a base or travel and consume the content and world (wrecking the environment). We already know that the environment will regenerate over time and that content will dynamicly change in one area so staying in a small portion of the map could still be a feasible means to play. Although, since they do allude that limited fast travel will be in, it will still be more likely that roaming and consuming will still be most advantageous.
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Don't bother voting, you can bet fast travel will be there.  This game is created for casuals and console gamers, there's no way in hell fast travel won't be in the game on day 1.  SOE is just trying to generate hype, something for people to talk about so people keep talking Everquest Next.  Because we all can see, there are a lot less discussion about EQNext now than even just a few months ago.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO