Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cat or Dog?

I am thinking about getting a dog or cat for pet.

I personally like dogs better than cats but since im a single at the moment, I don't think it's good idea to have a dog when

I can't really take care of him while I am at work.

And my friends told me that cat doesn't need much attention as dogs.

Is it true?

I never had a cat before so im kinda worrying about having it since I don't even know what to do with it.

Comments

• EdinZeko84EdinZeko84 Member Posts: 8

You should get a cat because for a dog, it requires a lot more attention than cat and if you are living by yourself and working

during the day time, I don't think it is good idea to get a dog.

Cats are very calm and peaceful and doesn't require much attention.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I've had cats as pets all my life, so I think I can help you with this.  Yes, cats are much more independent animals than dogs.  They don't require as much attention as dogs either.  They need food, water, a litter box and a place to sleep and they are pretty much set.  That's not to say that cats are not affectionate.  If you take care of them and treat them well, they will bond to you almost as much as a dog.

Dogs are great too.  My brother has two dogs and they are a lot of fun.  But unless you have a decent size yard (except for small dogs) and have the time to walk them regularly, you'll probably being doing them a disservice by owning one.

If I had a bigger yard, I would probably have both cats and dogs and let them rumble with each other for supremacy.  image

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Dogs and cats are great (look at my icon for which way I swing). You won't believe how much you can come to admire and care for them on a personal level. They become just like family to you. But of course the responsibility is there too. However I'm not going to dwell on that. Because I'm of the opinion that almost any kind of home for them is better than no home at all.

Just one thing. I'd strongly suggest getting one from a shelter. Or even from the streets (just be aware that actual wild cats over about 6 months of age are not the best idea for a first time pet owner. They are an extreme challenge to tame. But you'd probably never manage to even get close to a true feral cat anyway...). In my opinion doing a "rescue" is a fine act of decency.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

One thing I forgot to mention.  If you get a cat, you might want to consider getting two of them.  Taking care of two cats is hardly any more work than one, and they will be able to keep each other company while you are at work.  Plus watching cats play fight is really fun.

And I agree with Pynda.  Consider getting them from a shelter.  Shelter animals that can't find homes are euthanized.

• whitesky0714whitesky0714 Member Posts: 10

Yes. It is always better to have more than 1 of them especially when there is no one to take care of them while you are at work.

However, for a cat, I think it is still fine even if you can only afford one.

And yea, cat is better than dog for you situation.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Coming from somebody who has had both, they are very different experiences.  Cats are more independent and less work.  Dogs are much more social but are more work.

Currently I have a dog and leave her home alone while my wife and I are at work.  It's not a big deal.  Train them to use the wee-wee pad while you're not home and they'll be fine. 

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

<=== X 2

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • rainbowdashunicornrainbowdashunicorn Member Posts: 12

If you've got plenty of time at home go with a dog.

If you're barely home then go with a cat...

• sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39

Have you chosen?

Cats are incredibly independent, and might suit someone who doesn't come home as often. Dogs, while fun and exuberant, tend to get heartsick without their owner, from being downright inconsolable and morose until the owner comes home and gives them attention.

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

I have 2 dogs and a cat,

my cat is far cooler :)

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Cats are much easier to care for than dogs assuming it is in good health and doesn't have any mental issues.  My cat has an illness that cannot be cured but he's still easier than a dog.  Litter trained makes the difference.  But then if you find cleaning a litter box more offensive than constant walks to the park with rubber gloves on your hands maybe not?

• sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39
    OP Still hasn't responded?