Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wish list: Class system vs certification system

I have wanted a 40k mmo since I first started playing games. But I always thought the something similar to the planetside 1 cert system would work better with the lore and the combat. Say something Identical to the original ps system but with some limitations (no apothecary kit with devastator weapons). Things like power sword would require more cert points over a chain sword.  It would allow you to build the character you dream about and still enforce intelligent decisions that limit your ability to just change class entirely every time the situation changes and be 100% effective in any role. It would also prevent people from spamming a particular class which would be very jarring from the perspective of the lore. 

I'm on mobile so I apologize if this is all over the place

Thoughts?

Comments

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Haidran

I have wanted a 40k mmo since I first started playing games. But I always thought the something similar to the planetside 1 cert system would work better with the lore and the combat. Say something Identical to the original ps system but with some limitations (no apothecary kit with devastator weapons). Things like power sword would require more cert points over a chain sword.  It would allow you to build the character you dream about and still enforce intelligent decisions that limit your ability to just change class entirely every time the situation changes and be 100% effective in any role. It would also prevent people from spamming a particular class which would be very jarring from the perspective of the lore. 

Thoughts?

would be cool to equip your char like you want to

but

isnt it more lorefriendly if there are classes? cause in lore there are classes!^^

and how to handle terminator suits then? for eldar it would be totaly lorebraking to equip what every they want

lets see how the first gameplay trailer looks like first :)

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by Haidran

Thoughts?

yes it's similar to planetside 2, you choose the class for the deployment.

i think will be a sorta of ibrid, you need to unlock the skill AND buy the item.

Some class and some equip will be limited probally by cost.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183
    Not sure how the original planetside system worked (never played it) but at least for Space Marines then unlocking "classes" to play as on a per mission basis fits the lore. Of course, that structure is quite contrary to Eldar lore, so we appear to be at an impasse. 
  • ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

I always had an idea of a hybrid class and certification system would have been best.

The range of available certifications is based on your original class. Of course, this would closely resemble just a tree that you pick skills along the way available to your class.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• BeerSamuraiBeerSamurai Member Posts: 69
    Not sure how it'd work with Orks.  One choppa is as good as the next so long as it chops.

Dreah I'm yunk, wazzit matter to you?

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Well they said they wanted it to be like the point system from the tabletop, used in armybuilding. I guess the more you play the more points you have available to your character.
  • ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452
    Originally posted by BeerSamurai
    Not sure how it'd work with Orks.  One choppa is as good as the next so long as it chops.

That's not true. If you paint it red it'll chop faster and if you add some gubbins and crap to it it'll chop even better!

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Im hoping it is a points system more akin to the table top game with you choosing your character and then having an amount of points to be able to spend in a class pool.

I then hope that character progression is more to do with class skills than equipment. A bolter is a bolter. As far as equipment progression goes i would like to see us upgrading sights for weapons to get more range etc. Or bigger fuel packs for our assault armour.

Just excited that we finally have news filtering through now.

• SST_2_0SST_2_0 Member UncommonPosts: 21

So this is what I proposed in the forums on the EC website and was shot down as it not being "lore".  Could not figure that out.  I have mentioned over and over how I do not want to have to wear a jump pack to be the "assault" marine.  I was born into 40k with 3ed Wolves, I don't use no jump pack!   

It is why I suggested no actual classes like assault or devastator but more akin to the actual codex layout.  Elite, Troop, Fast Attack and Heavy support would be the simple choice and than a talent system based on the characteristics of each of those types.

You could even have some crafting involved so everyone can carry anything but cost vary on class.  It would be the crafting that would separate class uniqueness based on items.  So a fast attack can not craft heavy weapons but they could use one at a great cost, just like a heavy support cannot craft jump packs.  

I know it is not really lore to have heavy support units with jump packs but a little lore break for squad cohesion was my thought.  I mean, I always imagine its not that big a step for a veteran to be able to  use most weapons/gear, space marines anyway.  Again there would be a big cost to use stuff from outside the class.  The talent system would also help keep classes focused and different.   Fast attack would have more talents geared to fast attack like bonus movement while Heavy support might get stuff like strength from weapons and defense.   

I just have this vision of a squad of Marines jumping up to the top of base using packs and than a bunch being able to ditch the pack and equip other weapons and gear to more suit their class. 

• SST_2_0SST_2_0 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Savij

would be cool to equip your char like you want to

but

isnt it more lorefriendly if there are classes? cause in lore there are classes!^^

and how to handle terminator suits then? for eldar it would be totaly lorebraking to equip what every they want

lets see how the first gameplay trailer looks like first :)

The classes are also broken apart by costs.  10 troops could barely match the cost of a single character.  I've thouight about this longer and I just do not like classes for this game at all.  I'd rather there be large game effects built around the faction you choose apart from the class.  

Iyanden gets a huge cost reduction in ghost warrior units and weapons, per deployment.   Honestly I actually see my character as not a single person but the chance to be anything so that in the game anything can happen.  

What would make your character unique besides wargear and faction compliments is the Talent system.  A player could than have a talent system based around HQ, Elite, Troop, Fast Attack, Heavy Support.  Which again as you talent into them they boost your character no matter what they are wearing, so it feels more like your building an army not just a single person.  

The sum of it is: Would be cool, pick  Eldar Iyanden and than to talent for a fast attack and elite style of fighting.  Fast attack boosts transport movement and troop movement and than put on the Wraithguard suit, fast attack helps that its slow and elite boosts to stats, buy a Wave Serpent and its got a boost from stats in Fast Attack increasing speed of transport and elite gave it stronger weapons.  Have a squadie drive the serpent, other guard and a psyker on board.  Psyker bought using deployment cost but gives Troops huge bonuses and devestating power, instead of weak ones caused by trying to balance a class, think Jedi BF2 OP.  Than you get to like deep strike that puppy, cause the way it always sounded Eldar tanks can fly if they wanted, like straight up 30000 up feet fly.  (Idk been awhile since I read Eldar stuff)

Part of the potential though is you could really really really reduce cost for say a wraithguard because you choose Iyanden as your faction.  And so its cheap to deploy your Wraithguard to the point you would have to die repeatedly to use up the infantry deployment points needed as Iyanden.  But, the downside is your basic Guardian build is not as good as say Ulthwe faction's, but than they dont get he cheap Wraithguard suit.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Well if they are making a main stream game, they can toss any of the lore concepts out.  Main stream loves give me everything ideas.

If they are interested in making a 40K game, they better keep to the TT game as close as they can.  That means no to the OP's idea.

My guess is they will kiss main steam butt and give away too much to the players.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"