Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Was Your First RPG (PC or Console)?

1235»

Comments

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Well, I came to gaming rather late both in terms of my own age and the rpg genre itself, so Final Fantasy VII on PS2 was the first rpg I played.  I loved it.  I bought the PS2 reluctantly for my son, who was about 11 or so at the time (he's 22 now) and didn't for a minute think I'd play games myself.
  • SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    King's Quest or Final Fantasy 1 on the NES, I can't remember which came out first.
  • ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112
    my "first" was a text only dungeon crawler whose name I can't remember. I do know I played every D&D title that came out back then too.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is an awesome thread, and I wish I could upvote it or something.

In looking for a screenshot for BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks' Inception, I found that the game had become abandonware and the game files were available on the internet for download. You have to have a DOS emulator to run it, but DosBox works fine and I was able to play the game that got me interested in RPGs for the first time in twenty years.

I must say, my imagination has certainly added a lot to that game over the years. My avatar was a six or eight pixel high blue blob, and the cut scenes and the dream sequence are text descriptions with no graphics at all. I really have an urge to rewrite that game, and move it ahead a few years, adding some graphics, but keep the 2D nature of the game, and the general RPG/TBS game play.

So again, awesome thread. :-) When I get home tonight, I'll probably be playing that game in a tiny 320x240 window. :O

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by lizardbones
    This is an awesome thread, and I wish I could upvote it or something.

In looking for a screenshot for BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks' Inception, I found that the game had become abandonware and the game files were available on the internet for download. You have to have a DOS emulator to run it, but DosBox works fine and I was able to play the game that got me interested in RPGs for the first time in twenty years.

I must say, my imagination has certainly added a lot to that game over the years. My avatar was a six or eight pixel high blue blob, and the cut scenes and the dream sequence are text descriptions with no graphics at all. I really have an urge to rewrite that game, and move it ahead a few years, adding some graphics, but keep the 2D nature of the game, and the general RPG/TBS game play.

So again, awesome thread. :-) When I get home tonight, I'll probably be playing that game in a tiny 320x240 window. :O

:blush: Thanks for the praise :)

I have found quite a few abandonware games and my D-Fend (DOBox Front End Loader) is full of them, about 21 right now. Good Old Games (GOG.com) has become a favorite website of mine, too.

I'm glad you found your first RPG and are able to play it again!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Ultima III: Exodus on the Apple IIE. Great memories. 

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by severius

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box Cover

I remember playing a version of this game on the Mattel Intellivision. Great game!

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MutePixelMutePixel Member Posts: 8
    Zelda on console. Diablo on PC.

• DETJI88DETJI88 Member Posts: 10

My first RPG was PC game called "Diablo".

Diablo 1 was package game and it was one of the best game i ever played and i beileve this is why Diablo 2 was so famous

when it came out as online version.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

My very first rpg was actually Autobridge, since I had to play each hand and pretend to be opposing partners. But after that, it was a text-based game played on a green-screen computer where I had to map out where I'd gone and was regularly eaten by grues. LOL

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    It was Zelda for me.

^That^

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    I did play The Bard's Tale in the mid-80s, but can't recall the year. Then with Amiga we played Dungeon Master for quite a bit, also during the 80s. Loved having to map the game by hand :) However, most fond memories I have from the Ultima series. Played Ultima 4, but mostly got in the series with Ultima V. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• kangsokkukangsokku Member Posts: 8

For me, the best RPG game that i have played is FF7.

I still remember when it first came out, everyone wanted to play this game so bad..

But play station 1 was very expensive and even the game itself was hard to afford too.

There was only Japanese version so I had no idea how the story goes, but it was still fun..

The graphics were amazing ..compare to other games in 90s..

I acutally cleared this game again last year with PC version and it was still fun.

Dang..Miss the good old days..

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    If Zelda counts, then that is the first true RPG for me.  Dragon Warrior, though, that's the game I associate most as my first RPG.  So very many hours lost to that simple but awesome game!
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Death Knights of Krynn for Amiga 500.

It was EPIC

• TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 260
    It was Cystalis(NES) for me.  Still have the cartridge, still in the NES, hooked up to mah tv.  If it's not the best game ever (for me) it is at a minimum in my top 3 of all time.
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Does the Hobbit on the speccy count,if so prob that one then maybe Tir Na Nog,Shadowfire/Enigma Force after that way too many to mention ranging from Eye of the Beholder,Perihelion,Bloodnet  to FF Series to chronoquest,Suikonden,Parasite Eve told ya there was way to many !

p>
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Played my first games on colecovision around 1981 don't remember if there was any rpg back then or even called rpg?

I remember a game i played was a guy crawling down dungeons and climbing up walls sidescrolling offcorse, seems kind of adventure, don't think it had any RPG elements back in those days.

My real first rpg adventure was years later ff7 on playstation.

But i started realy playing RPG'S around 1999 on my PC with Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall and Asheron's Call 1.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i