Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Pros VS Cons List!!! (Submit Your Own!)

kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

So I've noticed a ton of people on the fence about trying this game out.   I think a massive list of the games' Pros and Cons will really help better decide whether the game is for them or not. 

I'll start the list off with a couple things I've either really enjoyed or really didn't like.  I'll have a section on the OP for Pros and Cons that I get from anyone else on the forum, I'll copy and paste all of your answers to this section and update it regularly.   If you submit answers please do it in the exact same way that I do mine so all I have to do is copy/paste and everything looks the same.

Let's Get Started!

- MY PROS -

The Music!  - 

The music in this game is extremely top notch.  In my opinion, No other MMO in history has even dreamed of a soundtrack as great as FF14. (Maybe ff11 was good but I never played it)   Every zone has it's unique theme that fits its' personality perfectly.  The music molds to the situation at hand very well.  And it's production quality is nothing short of what you would find in a billion dollar hollywood movie.

It Feels Like Final Fantasy  - 

The characters, the style, the feel, the items, the monsters, the world and the details all make this game really make you feel like your playing a Final Fantasy game and it's fantastic.  I was surprised to find this game bring me so much nostalgia.

Questing -

Not just the main story.  I've actually read every bit of text that has been put in front of me, I don't think I've ever done that before. it's actually extremely well written and well thought out.   Every zone has it's own unique set of characters, theme, story and problems in a way I haven't really seen before.   Instead of collecting 5 boar asses for some ladies stew I actually feel some kind of a purpose for what I'm dong.  I think another big plus is that the text is laid out little by little in a big bubble instead of a wall of text that no one reads.

The Combat -

I'm putting this in both pros and cons.  The combat is nothing new, if you've played an mmo you've played this combat.  However I did find it oddly alluring.  It's very fluid and responsive, the skill animations are great looking and never lock you in place unless your a mage.  I found myself having alot of fun with it as long as I never stayed still.

The Graphics -

Along with the art-style, as with any Final Fantasy, Simply Gorgeous.

- Forum Member Pros -

- MY CONS -

The Voice Acting  -

Ok this is some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard and often times very annoying,  I just want to shove Popylimo or whatever the hell his name is in a toilet and flush him.  Then again it can also be really good with characters like Minfilia and that white haired dude.  All in all though I honestly feel like their budget for VO was like $2000 because there's also very little of it.

The Dialog -

They made this game Wayyyy too over the top with the "fantasy" in the dialog.  What is this game's damn obsession with the word "Aught"?  It's their way of saying "anything" but it sounds so dumb that it immediately kills any sentence that it's a part of, especially in a scene like the battle of Cartenue.  Seriously say a sentence using "aught" in public instead of "anything" and tell me how many WTF faces you get.   Maybe it's just me, but I think the story would have been incredible if they made the dialog a little less stupid.

The Gilspammers -

DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP.  This one's a bit strange.  I find it very strange that final fantasy 11 was apparently riddled with this same problem and nothing has been done about it at all.  There are many very quick and easy things they can do just to make it a bit more bearable.  Mess around with the /shout and /area to restrict the amount of things you can type in a row, or put a level cap on it, or put a timer, OR AT LEAST GIVE US A RIGHT-CLICK-BLOCK FUNCTION... These are all very easy things to do and the fact that they had the problem in FF11 and still haven't done anything about it almost leads me to believe that they made some kind of a deal with SquareEnix...

The Combat -

I'm also putting this on con just because it's either a pro or a con depending on who you ask.   A  2.5s global cooldown has been a big deal for a lot of problems, and why not?  What that basically means is that for every 1 second that you are fighting is nearly 3x longer that you aren't fighting.  While the combat actually feels very good and natural on a class like Marauder, it's not so much the case on something like pugilist (early game!) There are skills that you can use off of GCD and the combat gets much better later on but it' can be very annoying early. 

No PvP at Launch -

Yes, I know. It's coming. But come on. This is 2013

-  Forum Member Cons -

Add Your own!!

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
Why is it still such a big deal?

Comments

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I Agree with your points, I think its a good game & worth trying if you are looking for a traditional MMO.

I think the biggest issue for me is it doesn't bring anything different to the table.

I got level 25 and cant seem to bring myself back for more, this is more about me being board with traditional quest slog because the dungeons and group content are a ton of fun the fellow player are usually so cool I  find myself talking in free company for hours.

This week I was about to log in and I had a sudden urge to play through oblivion again...then there was free 7 days of wow in my email so idk if ill get back to FFXVI this month but i do know i wont sub.

(Sry I dont have time cut & paste.)

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Immersion - Things people who don't have an eye for detail won't notice and that aren't present in other games...

The earrings have physics, they swing and move about with momentum.

There are visible rings, earrings, and neck pieces that change...as in different accessory gear changes appearance and is in existence...Most games don't even put it in.

The cloth gear moves with the wind, with magic wind, and when you move.

The weather also has realistic physics, and there's a day and night cycle which has been dropped from so many games lately. 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by kDeviL

So I've noticed a ton of people on the fence about trying this game out.   I think a massive list of the games' Pros and Cons will really help better decide whether the game is for them or not. 

I'll start the list off with a couple things I've either really enjoyed or really didn't like.  I'll have a section on the OP for Pros and Cons that I get from anyone else on the forum, I'll copy and paste all of your answers to this section and update it regularly.   If you submit answers please do it in the exact same way that I do mine so all I have to do is copy/paste and everything looks the same.

Let's Get Started!

- MY PROS -

The Music!  - 

The music in this game is extremely top notch.  In my opinion, No other MMO in history has even dreamed of a soundtrack as great as FF14. (Maybe ff11 was good but I never played it)   Every zone has it's unique theme that fits its' personality perfectly.  The music molds to the situation at hand very well.  And it's production quality is nothing short of what you would find in a billion dollar hollywood movie.

It Feels Like Final Fantasy  - 

The characters, the style, the feel, the items, the monsters, the world and the details all make this game really make you feel like your playing a Final Fantasy game and it's fantastic.  I was surprised to find this game bring me so much nostalgia.

Most definitely this - i tend to play with a goofy smile on my face 

Questing -

Not just the main story.  I've actually read every bit of text that has been put in front of me, I don't think I've ever done that before. it's actually extremely well written and well thought out.   Every zone has it's own unique set of characters, theme, story and problems in a way I haven't really seen before.   Instead of collecting 5 boar asses for some ladies stew I actually feel some kind of a purpose for what I'm dong.  I think another big plus is that the text is laid out little by little in a big bubble instead of a wall of text that no one reads.

The Combat -

I'm putting this in both pros and cons.  The combat is nothing new, if you've played an mmo you've played this combat.  However I did find it oddly alluring.  It's very fluid and responsive, the skill animations are great looking and never lock you in place unless your a mage.  I found myself having alot of fun with it as long as I never stayed still.

The Graphics -

Along with the art-style, as with any Final Fantasy, Simply Gorgeous.

yup 

- Forum Member Pros -

Probably my number one pro is just the solid game itself - have no glitches, no broken quests, no crashes - everything just works

this is very rare in a just released game and obviously made by people who care 

- MY CONS -

The Voice Acting  -

Ok this is some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard and often times very annoying,  I just want to shove Popylimo or whatever the hell his name is in a toilet and flush him.  Then again it can also be really good with characters like Minfilia and that white haired dude.  All in all though I honestly feel like their budget for VO was like $2000 because there's also very little of it.

I guess i haven't run into this - have enjoyed what little i have experienced so far (only level 18 because of crafting/gathering and stuff

The Dialog -

They made this game Wayyyy too over the top with the "fantasy" in the dialog.  What is this game's damn obsession with the word "Aught"?  It's their way of saying "anything" but it sounds so dumb that it immediately kills any sentence that it's a part of, especially in a scene like the battle of Cartenue.  Seriously say a sentence using "aught" in public instead of "anything" and tell me how many WTF faces you get.   Maybe it's just me, but I think the story would have been incredible if they made the dialog a little less stupid.

no problem here - i'm a reader and quite enjoy the pretty large volume of dialogue 

The Gilspammers -

DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP.  This one's a bit strange.  I find it very strange that final fantasy 11 was apparently riddled with this same problem and nothing has been done about it at all.  There are many very quick and easy things they can do just to make it a bit more bearable.  Mess around with the /shout and /area to restrict the amount of things you can type in a row, or put a level cap on it, or put a timer, OR AT LEAST GIVE US A RIGHT-CLICK-BLOCK FUNCTION... These are all very easy things to do and the fact that they had the problem in FF11 and still haven't done anything about it almost leads me to believe that they made some kind of a deal with SquareEnix...

was over the top annoying but it seems they are getting a handle on this as i've only added three people to my block list but have had no spamming in Gridania since Monday - heading back to LL where it was absolutely horrible and will know for sure 

The Combat -

I'm also putting this on con just because it's either a pro or a con depending on who you ask.   A  2.5s global cooldown has been a big deal for a lot of problems, and why not?  What that basically means is that for every 1 second that you are fighting is nearly 3x longer that you aren't fighting.  While the combat actually feels very good and natural on a class like Marauder, it's not so much the case on something like pugilist (early game!) There are skills that you can use off of GCD and the combat gets much better later on but it' can be very annoying early. 

not a problem - paced right for me (i'm old)

No PvP at Launch -

Yes, I know. It's coming. But come on. This is 2013

don't care for PVP in any way shape or form in this type of game but i play MWO and PS2 - go figure 

-  Forum Member Cons -

way too much clicky clicky - improved from version one but lordy you have to verify EVERYTHING

Add Your own!!

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Pros
    1. FF feel and immersion are great.

2. The environment! I found myself just standing outside Gridania whenever it rained because it actually felt like I was standing in a rainstorm! They really got that one right!

3. The storyline and quests are fun.

4. Dungeons, from what I've played, are really fun :)

5. The chocobos, that you can train your mount to fight/heal alongside you is awesome!

Cons

1. Gilspammers :( Or as the OP said, lack of a more efficient way to block them! Every time I log in I have to spend 10 minutes trying to catch the ridiculous names of the spammers and write them in my block list..... ugh.

2. pretty dull leveling - I like that the developers made crafting so intricate, but I don't like that the XP you gain through crafting only levels your crafting profession. In my other MMO's I use crafting as a way to get away from questing and grinding to help me level up my character. In this game, though, I am forced to just quest/grind my main class to level and it gets kind of old, really old. fast.

3. The maps. I know how to use them just fine, but I wish I could use some sort of function to zoom out and see all the areas around a city, or the entire city on one layout.

4. FATES. Don't get me wrong I really like them, but heck they are too freaking short! I would find myself running to a FATE and by the time I got there it was 3/4 done and I would hardly get credit for it!

5. The cut scenes without voice :/ It just seems weird to me. If you can't afford the voice overs then don't do the cut scenes and just have bubbles over an NPC's head.... And cut scenes that are half voiced are even worse.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

OP has a pretty inclusive list of pro's and con's, but I have to add one major pro:

THE CRAFTING !

(if you like crafting, that is)

I thoroughly enjoy pushing my crafter to the limit trying to achieve the best possible quality on my difficult recipe's. Haven't hit L50 yet, so I don't know if it's still a significant challenge at that level, but I'm an absolute blast as a crafter so far...

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

List it as a pro or a con, but dungeons are a part of the main story line, and yes that means "forced grouping". Something that while reading these boards you might think everyone wants, but in practice is not nearly as enjoyable.

The job system I would list as a pro, anything that cuts down on rerolling is good. 

Here are some things that players may not have really thought about and are AMAZING when you really think about it:

1. Bag space... there are no bags, you don't need to buy bags, and there is a TON of space for stuff. Not to mention quest items and armor/weapons have their own inventory. I think I leveled 1-40 without having to manage my inventory or vendor any items. 

2. You don't loot. Maybe you didn't notice this, maybe 30 levels in and you realize you have not stopped from the action once to click and loot a single mob, why bother? Teleport those items to my massive inventory kthxbai!!! 

3. No vendor trash. Along with bag space and not looting, I have not found a single piece of loot that was not either usable or tied to a crafting skill, trash it just that, why make players deal with it. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

OP has a pretty inclusive list of pro's and con's, but I have to add one major pro:

THE CRAFTING !

(if you like crafting, that is)

I thoroughly enjoy pushing my crafter to the limit trying to achieve the best possible quality on my difficult recipe's. Haven't hit L50 yet, so I don't know if it's still a significant challenge at that level, but I'm an absolute blast as a crafter so far...

Was about to mention that as well. Crafting is very well done and has some form of dept too. Craft mats to make better ones before you can make your final product - Damn, that's so nicely done!

Same for the gathering (not mentioned as well). Though only 2 gathering options (mining and botanics), the nodes you farm give you a choice what you would like to get, along with a % chance of success.

But both also have great cons... Leveling up takes pretty long and you're bound to make silly stuff (or do levies to speed it up a bit more). Also, with gathering, the multiple choice of mats is a con too. You can really go for one thing you need and leave the other ones, so trade (player interaction) will be less because of that. I personally would have found it more enjoyable if you'd see the list of what mats were available and let the game 'roll' on what you'd get...

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

My Biggest CON

Armor Level is getting annoying 

I get told at the entrance of an instance that I can not do this instance because my armor level is to low. But I cant get into a group to run the instance because my armor level is to low.

I hate this type of system 

• NicephorusNicephorus Member Posts: 52

PROS

The storytelling (not just the main storyline) and atmosphere.

The job system

CONS

Gilspammers. I'm as big a SE apologist as anyone, but what I wouldn't give for a right click name/blist option.

Too easy to level. And I haven't come close to the cap yet. I'm just one of those people who actually likes to level characters, and I'm always a bit sad when I hit level cap, even when there is plenty of end game content left to do. So the longer the journey, the better I like it.

I always find it interesting how often one person's pro can be another person's con. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone ranting on the forums about how much they hate a certain part of a game (FF and other games), and all I can think is "But...but, that's my favorite thing about the game..*sob*"

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Nicephorus

Too easy to level. And I haven't come close to the cap yet. I'm just one of those people who actually likes to level characters, and I'm always a bit sad when I hit level cap, even when there is plenty of end game content left to do. So the longer the journey, the better I like it.

There's plenty of classes, jobs and professions to level, if you like leveling, there's atleast a few months worth of leveling :)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I like the 2.5s GCD , you can make it faster using skill or spell speed .

But it adds stratergy to the game and also lag is not such an issue now .  Those guys who owned me in PvP because they had 40ms ping compared to my 150ms have less advantage now .

• Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Grailer

I like the 2.5s GCD , you can make it faster using skill or spell speed .

But it adds stratergy to the game and also lag is not such an issue now .  Those guys who owned me in PvP because they had 40ms ping compared to my 150ms have less advantage now .

Well its not strategy in "hmm what skill do I select now"

its more "I hit the wrong skill and now I have to wait" type of strategy.  If you goof and don't interrupt for instance...your not going to be interrupting that group wiping skill..

Its less forgiving the 2.5 sec GCD...

Yes, its awkward at low levels, and it feels really strange at first...

Once you have the full deck of skills it stops feeling so slow, and there are skills off GCD with their own unique CD.  For dragoon I have a few "buff skills" that you want to use on the finisher of the combo, which is nice because timing is everything, and messing up a combo (which often happens when I can stay behind the boss) mean I get gimped DPS as well as a debuff that doesn't get applied.

Because of the GCD, and for my class the combo system that requires positioning for each attack...DPS swings wildly between those who can get the combos off, apply the pre skill buff off GCD, and do the correct order of the three combos vs someone who doesn't.  Its an interesting twist on what at face value seems to be an easy to master melee dps class..

I know that Black Mage also has a dual buff system that effects GCD, monks get a GCD reduction....also skill speed can lop off a good amount of that GCD.

But yes, at low level, the GCD is pretty rough getting use to, and it can be a bit boring at times, it all comes together near endgame and those boss fights really take advantage of it all....

in short, the GCD appears to take away from the games combat at face value, but certainly doesn't once you get into the game...I think it actually adds to the difficulty quite a bit.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    My biggest con is that its a quest based WoW Clone themepark. Afther much thought I have uninstalled the game and don't plan on going back. If we keep supporting games like this then we are just as guilty as the developers for the genre going in this direction.
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Pros

1. Aesthetics - Music, Graphics and Animations are well done. The obtrusive animations (in FATEs) can also be toned down in the in-game settings.

2. Writing - solid writing and in-line with the game's theme.

3. Combat Mechanics/Dungeons - The combat is average and slow. However, the fight/boss mechanics in the game are varied enough that it actually manages to become interesting.

4. Skill/Stat Customization - The cross-class skills offers diversity. I hope they add more customization, but this is a step in the right direction. The stat allocation is a minor thing and again, needs improvements, but it's also a good step from the usual automated stat allocation.

5. Crafting - The crafting has depth complete with stats, skills, cross-class skills and dependencies on other professions. I worry about the economy when the majority are at max level, but hopefully by then they'd have made changes to avoid a crash. Soulbinding for materia is a good dump, but it ends when everyone has the materia they need. It's a long way off, but it's something to consider after a few months when the economy stabilizes.

Cons

FATE - They need to add a better scaling system to accommodate a huge group of people. The rewards are too big for something you can finish in under 1-2 minutes from the supposed 15 minute timer.

Party Size - The 4-member for light parties is too small to with a ratio of 50% DPS 25% Healer 25% Tank. It will be a drastic move if they bother changing the sizes, but it will be a welcome change if they manage to pull it off in some expansion.

UI customization - The current UI is good to a fault, but there are little details where it needs improvement on (remove the pet bar or remove the distracting cast bar in the party screen - who actually needs that info from your fellow party member?)

Neutral

Quests - They are your typical quests. I can't really think of how they can improve them.

Future

PVP and new dungeons - I can't really comment on the lack of these since they are confirmed to be added in the next patches.

• cerockscerocks Member UncommonPosts: 33
    i'll add a response later, but I just wanted to say that yes the English voice acting isn't great. I switched mine to Japanese while retaining the English text and it is far better. The Japanese voice acting includes several well known anime voice actors.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    My biggest con is that its a quest based WoW Clone themepark. Afther much thought I have uninstalled the game and don't plan on going back. If we keep supporting games like this then we are just as guilty as the developers for the genre going in this direction.

You mean like supporting anti-"item mall" and supporting elaborate interdependent crafting systems? Sure, let's not support that.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Getting kicked out of instances due to an instance error, running out of quests and having to grind 3rd, 4th classes etc. Graphics and music are good. Gridania is probaly the best area in the game. Still there are gold spammers and still the game only works propaly after maintenance which seems to happen multiple tims daily. But we can get chocobos and it feels like a FF game. Combat is a bit slow for my liking and running from FATE to FATE is pretty much the only efficiant way to level once you completed all / most the quests.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Bookah

I Agree with your points, I think its a good game & worth trying if you are looking for a traditional MMO.

I think the biggest issue for me is it doesn't bring anything different to the table.

I got level 25 and cant seem to bring myself back for more, this is more about me being board with traditional quest slog because the dungeons and group content are a ton of fun the fellow player are usually so cool I  find myself talking in free company for hours.

This week I was about to log in and I had a sudden urge to play through oblivion again...then there was free 7 days of wow in my email so idk if ill get back to FFXVI this month but i do know i wont sub.

(Sry I dont have time cut & paste.)

By lv25 war/magic class, I suppose the only major thing you may  have not experienced is the crafting & gathering aspect of the game due to choosing not to.

However if you have tested crafting to lv15 and still hate it, then yeah I think you've played long enough to form a well-founded opinion about the game as a whole.

• SheritsukiSheritsuki Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Aori

My list (my opinions and thoughts)

Pros

I share your views on the Pros. So far it's shaping up to be a good experience.

Cons

Crafting, if you choose to be a crafting whore, well you'll need a lot of space. They should have added a Crafting chest similar to the armory chest. (yes crafting is a pro and a con)

- Haha, absolutley spot on. A crafting chest would be a welcome addition... but I'm guessing as there are no loot drops (in a traditional "kill mob then click to loot then sell all the useless items type of way"), that the current inventory space is designed purely for crafting drops.

This is worked around by the use of retainers aswell, you can hire (for free) two for something like an additional 200+ item slots - enough I think to cope with levelling all 8 crafting proffesions at once.

This does of course bring up a massive con (for me any way) of the fairly bad inventory system and lack of sorting options. You can only display 1 bag at a time. Each bag being 25 slots. This makes for a massive time consuming inventory sort before and during any crafting spree.

This is being addressed by devs at the moment, but just having the option to display more than one bag at a time would be a godsend!

Cutscenes, I enjoy them. However they were poorly implemented in the dungeons. Sadly it is causing a great deal of animosity and would have been better off not connected with group content. No don't play cut scenes options and dungeon timers don't stop while viewing them.

Yes, not a great idea to have cut scenes in Dungeons. Look at the hate generated amongst players when doing a SWTOR instance run.

Have them at the begining when first accessing the NPC and have them at the end. Just not inbetween. OPersonally I have no issue with them or others wanting to watch them. I tank, but I'll wait - if players can take time to enjoy the story and become that much more immersed, who am I to ask them to stop watching just so I can complete a dungeon 30 seconds quicker...

Botting/Spamming right now there is no anti spam features to stop them from ruining city chats. Need a report for spam option for tells.

Arrrgh! This needs addressing rather quickly. Various posts everywhere about this...

Can't post items to the Market place (AH) directly. A bit annoying checking what items go for and running to summon a retainer to post.

Ahhh, this one is actually solved ;) When you move an item over to your retainer to sell the items for you, have a look for a small unobtrusive icon in the top right of the new window pane. Click it and it shows you the current prices of that item up for asle and several previous transactions, giving you a good idea of where to pitch your pricing. Undercut ? wait for the average price ? Wait for the small amount currently selling to sell, then place yours at a much higher price.

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37

Pros:

Character models. Much better than some other recent titles, where characters often look like they are made from plastic.

Day/Night cycle and weather system. It makes the world so vivid.

Latter part of the storyline.

Crafting system.

The general feel of the atmosphere, the art style, etc.

Relatively short ability bar so I won't get overwhelmed.

Cons:

Too many FedEx quests and "I don't trust you so go do some chores for me" kind of quests. Many of the quests, even some ones in the main storyline, does not give you a convincing reason plot-wise to do it.

Death. Should at least be able to revive within the same zone, even if waiting period is required. Also, NPC killed in instanced duty = restart immediately, but yourself killed = go back all the way home?

Some zones are too small. Zoning is fine but the maps need some more levels and less dead ends. Splitting the major cities into 2 or 3 parts is especially a terrible idea.

Lack of meaningful stuff to do at lv. 50. There are roughly only two dungeons to do at a certain stage of gear collecting. No lv. 50 FATEs, world quests, hidden region exploration or minigames. It even makes the Huttball spam in SWTOR sound a lot more fun in comparison.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

Firstly respect to everyone above for giving opinions rather than creating arguments.

MY PROS

The Environments

The game is so stunning to look at; numerous times I've just stopped to look at the vistas, watch the weather even listen to the sound effects. The sense of immersion is unmatched by any MMO I've played. I love fishing in Costa del Sol when the night comes in - sometimes you get caught in the howling wind and the pouring rain... it makes me shiver. The insect sound effects are so good I actually started cursing because I was thinking one of my crickets must have escaped. I was literally looking around on the floor for the missing critter when I realised the sound was coming from my PC speaker. I've found myself gathering too long in areas of the map where I'm just enjoying the scenary and the music.

The Crafting and Gathering

Although I'm a little concerned that crafters/gatherers are mostly just selling to other crafters I've never found such a detailed and intelligent crafting system in any game. Obviously if you're making hundreds if items it can still get dull, but when new items are learnt it's really fun trying different skill combinations to max the XP or Quality.

Nostalgia

As a FFXI player for 18 months (which is still the longest I've played any one MMO) I love re-acquainting myself with so many familiar mobs, but with the extra detail and improved animations. They just put a huge smile on my face sometimes.

The Story

I can't put my finger on why but in this MMO I just want to read all the story. Somehow it really feels important. I actually feel like my character is on some kind of journey. In most MMOs I start off reading but soon lose interest. I even changed the City I was going to ally with as a Grand Company 'cos I got so fed up with the annoying guy in the Archer's Guild who kept on saying how crap I was. Then I felt inspired by Uldah's speach and have been based in the desert city ever since.

also job system, huge bag, auto-loot, chocobos

MY CONS

Gil Sellers

Firstly their constant shouts and tells are annoying and also it's clear sometimes how the can shape the market. I just don't understand why games can't police them better. Surely a game can track players with multiple blocks or consistent large value trades to players. Having said that it does seems to be improving slowly after a few really bad weeks.

Levelling Speed

Too fast in my opinion and the Fates have certainly made this worse. I think the Fates are fun (for a while), and these fate parties make me laugh, but it's crazy if they are the best way to level. I think the balance needs looking at.

End Game Gear progression

To be honest I can't really comment here as I've not got any combat jobs up to 50. Still, from where I sit I'm not at all inspired by what is coming. I have no interest in speed runs though the same instances. Much as I'm enjoying the game loads at the moment I am worried by some of the things I hear.

Less Interesting support roles than in the original FFXI

In my opinion this is true for all MMOs these days, but I really enjoyed classes like Red Mage or Bard in the original. I had planned on playing Bard in this game, but it sounds like it has somehow turned into basically a DPS role. I loved playing a buff/debuff role and a PvE game like this should the perfect place for more varied roles. Once again perhaps I should wait until later before I make up my mind, but I've heard little about interesting class dynamics that has really piqued my interest at this stage.

I can't think of any other negatives (for me) at the moment