Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Will Piracy be Worth It?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Becoming a pirate is something that not many ArcheAge fans are aware that can happen in the forthcoming game published by Trion Worlds. In our latest ArcheAge column, we take a look at the pirate life and opine as to whether or not it's a worthwhile choice for players. Read on before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

In a pair of reports on ArcheAge Source, one written by LlexX (and from which the screenshots for today’s post originate) and the other penned by KeksX, piracy was outlined as being seemingly fun at first glance, but not quite the amazing long-term venture.

LlexX noted that you had to amass 3000 points worth of negative karma through misdeeds, which would allow you to become a pirate and set up your own expeditionary force. KeksX adds in his report that this has medium-term implications, at it takes a while to amass that much bad karma, and regaining neutral to positive karma takes at least a month of not doing something horrible.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: Will Piracy be Worth It?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I cannot wait for this game.  Come on NA beta!
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    By the time the game gets released here it will be old and meaningless.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I could see whole guilds centered around piracy though, scheduling raids to terrorize entire areas?  Saturday / Sunday prime time?  oh yeah, baby!

It would make a helluva fun alt though.  In these days of having pointless masses of alts, having a pirate on an account sounds like a very attractive pastime.  Have a bad day?  Take your rage to the open sees and sink some of those pesky do-gooders ships!  Oh yeah, steal the cargo they were transporting too as a secondary objective .. =D

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Volgore

The game is fun or it is not. Whatever release today or in a year. 

• migthefigmigthefig Member UncommonPosts: 37
    This pirate system is genius!   Ok I'm ready for beta  now. Come on down NA beta !!!
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I do remember sometime ago at the first mention of a NA release that the game would not be watered down and safe zones will not expand. Yet, here we are down the road and surprise. Thou I am a bit surprised that the vast majority of  "Hail to the new king of MMO" fans haven't said much. I am guessing as stated above, this game is taking wayyy to long to come out. The more I read and hear about it, the more it's becoming WoW all over again.

edit: Oh to the OP (sorry went off track somewhat) I agree, water down is what they said wouldn't happen and that is what is happening, is it worth even trying now ? To me no, but alas I am sure some will. But again no surprise other then the fans being silent as the grave about it atm.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by chaintm

I do remember sometime ago at the first mention of a NA release that the game would not be watered down and safe zones will not expand. Yet, here we are down the road and surprise. Thou I am a bit surprised that the vast majority of  "Hail to the new king of MMO" fans haven't said much. I am guessing as stated above, this game is taking wayyy to long to come out. The more I read and hear about it, the more it's becoming WoW all over again.

edit: Oh to the OP (sorry went off track somewhat) I agree, water down is what they said wouldn't happen and that is what is happening, is it worth even trying now ? To me no, but alas I am sure some will. But again no surprise other then the fans being silent as the grave about it atm.

There has been absolutely zero information as to what changes Trion will make with AA NA, So there has been no announced "watering down" of the game outside of the changes XL Games has made to the KR version which are still greatly exaggerated.

So stating that Trion has done any changes whatsoever is completely false until Trion decides to start sharing. As of this moment, the fact is that Trion has stated they are planning on minimal changes to AA NA and are trying to stay as true as possible to AA KR. Everything else is speculation.

And btw, AA is as far from Wow as a game can possibly be and comparing it to Wow just makes you look uniformed.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    too much pirate freedom is a bad thing too.  It causes too large of a pirate population which just doesnt feel realistic.  You want being a pirate to be harder because its about freedom and freedom comes with a price.  If you just want to kill stuff you can kill the other faction being a pirate is about more than that.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

I wonder if this is going to be another Aion -  zerg controlled - twink infested - spawn camping dose of character leveling misery, with players sitting in safe zones 90% of the time?

Aion the next wow killer with it's wonky pvpve - how will this be any different to that near forgotten effort?

Open world pvp will suit some of course - that's why other games have pvp servers - but if there are no pve servers - a large segement of the playing community will just ignore it. A really good revenue reduction model there then...

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

Losing interest every month with no NA info coming down the pipe. Plenty of other MMO's coming to keep me satisfied.

Too bad, I was quite looking forward to playing this next year...

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Piracy will be the only thing that makes me play this game!  Bring on the Kraken..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Argh matey. Where is me booty. AA is going to be a great game. Just might not be great for me by the time its released
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by LordSneerg
    Argh matey. Where is me booty. AA is going to be a great game. Just might not be great for me by the time its released

One thing that looks amazing is deep sea diving for that booty..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

Thanks for doing this column, always good to read more about ArcheAge, especially when Trion is not able to provide more info right now! And thanks for mentioning me! :D

Even though the pirate faction needs some work, in my opinion the whole ordeal with naval battles and stealing other people's packages is just the best part of the game. 

For anyone interested, I'm actually planning on joining the pirate faction for the EU Release of the game. I have a small crew gathered around me already, and if we think that Trion doesn't change the pirates for the better, we will make our own pirate faction. With blackjack and hookers! If you are interested, check out http://archeagesource.com/topic/2125-euint-lfpeople-to-create-pirate-guild/ :)

We'll meet on the EU servers ya landlubbers!

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    If you are an archeage fan and don't know about piracy in archeage then you must be blind, illiterate and very dumb :p So why start this article like this hahaha
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    If you are an archeage fan and don't know about piracy in archeage then you must be blind, illiterate and very dumb :p So why start this article like this hahaha
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Meh...how about some news on when its coming out in NA/EU if ever...I have become to hate hype for MMO's...I mean this game has been getting hype for 3 years and there is still no NA version, in fact its not even close.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

How does the Piracy and ships work in this game?

If each player become their own boat then that would be a huge garbage. The only way to do it right is like Guns of Icarus where various players control one ship and can freely walk around and change positions aboard the ship.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by rojo6934

If each player become their own boat then that would be a huge garbage. The only way to do it right is like Guns of Icarus where various players control one ship and can freely walk around and change positions aboard the ship.

You craft your boat, cast it then anyone can board it, drive it, operate the devices on it (cannons, radar, harpoon, diving equipment, crows nest). There is no limit as to how many can board your ship at a time. If you forget to lock the boat others can take it and destroy it (not perminantly) or drive it out to sea where it will eventually despawn. You can freely walk around the ship at any time and even cast mounts on it.

The ships have realistic physics for buoyancy, currents, water depth and how it handles ocean waves. It is extremely realistic and incredibly immersive.

So in a nutshell, yes the ships are wide open to players.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Boats are crafted with tons of wood, various materials, and a vendor bought blueprint.  The blueprint is used to start the construction site (platform) where you will build the ship.

There are different sizes of boats - small dingy's / rowboats up to huge ships.  Expertise and the volume of materials needed goes up fast with desired size.

Players can walk around the boats and steer it, also act as lookouts for distant pirate ships / easy prey,.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

AA lost me when they announced that there won't be permanent destruction of items through item-decay or death and full looting of player-corpses.

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Volgore

This is pretty much how I feel... I mean they claimed the translation was already 50% done like a year ago? Or somewhere close to that.

I don't see why this takes so long with a dedicated team. Look how fast fans came out with an English patch for PSO2 and it's 100% fully functional.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I remember reading something on these forums regarding AA being bogged down with pirates, making it difficult for anyone to get to the subcontinent to the north(?).   Safe zones and spawn points taking away from piracy probably helped in some regard, but makes being a pirate less arrrrr-ey.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Apparently safe zones and spawn points killed owPvP on the Korean servers. Which in-turn killed the games population.
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by KeksX

Thanks for doing this column, always good to read more about ArcheAge, especially when Trion is not able to provide more info right now! And thanks for mentioning me! :D

Even though the pirate faction needs some work, in my opinion the whole ordeal with naval battles and stealing other people's packages is just the best part of the game. 

For anyone interested, I'm actually planning on joining the pirate faction for the EU Release of the game. I have a small crew gathered around me already, and if we think that Trion doesn't change the pirates for the better, we will make our own pirate faction. With blackjack and hookers! If you are interested, check out http://archeagesource.com/topic/2125-euint-lfpeople-to-create-pirate-guild/ :)

We'll meet on the EU servers ya landlubbers!

COOL! 

Looking forward to reading more about your exploits! :) I love reading about the in-game adventures of players! :D

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com