Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Was Your First RPG (PC or Console)?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I realized my post and screenshots was all out of order because my memory is shot. So below is the revised post.

The first game was Adventure on the Atari 2600.
    Here are the awesome graphics:

Next, I started playing text adventure games on the TI-99 4/a. These are not RPGs, because they did not have character development, but it had some of the basic ideas. Scott Adams' games were my favorites.

I took a break from computers for awhile, but when I got back into them, I played the King's Quest games from Roberta Williams.

After that, it was Pool of Radiance on the PC (286 or 386, not sure which). I snagged the screenie from DeVoDeVo below.

Finally, for early RPGs, I played Battlemech, and was really disappointed when Battlemech: The Crescent Hawks Inception was the only RPG produced in the series.

And that is my early history not only of RPG playing, but my early history of gaming too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Dragon Warrior for me. Although FF II (IV) is what really hooked me into the genre.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

I enjoyed the HELL out of this game! It came out just before Everquest. This game kinda got me stuck into PC gaming though EQs graphics were not as good as this game's were. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

It was either Pool of Radiance or Hillsfar on the NES.  Can't remember which one I played first.

The memories...

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Gauntlet, for ZX Spectrum.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I've seen a few Pools of Radiance mentioned. Am I remembering correctly that PoR was the game that trashed your hard drive if you uninstalled it, or was that a different game?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DerangedcowbrainDerangedcowbrain Member UncommonPosts: 56

Gosh I'm old. I can't remember exactly which was first, but I played the NES Ultima (forget which one), and King's Quest, as well as Phantasy Star on Sega.

I don't remember there being any RPGs on the Atari 2600. Or at least I didn't have any.

Would we count Oregon Trail as a RPG?

DCB

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I've seen a few Pools of Radiance mentioned. Am I remembering correctly that PoR was the game that trashed your hard drive if you uninstalled it, or was that a different game?

I think that was the remake of Temple of Elemental Evil from 2000 or so that trashed hard drives.  

The Commodore 64/128 didn't have a hard drive, it had floppy drives :)  Unless there was a remake, otherwise POR came out in '88 before pc's could display color :)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by severius
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky I've seen a few Pools of Radiance mentioned. Am I remembering correctly that PoR was the game that trashed your hard drive if you uninstalled it, or was that a different game?
    I think that was the remake of Temple of Elemental Evil from 2000 or so that trashed hard drives.  

The Commodore 64/128 didn't have a hard drive, it had floppy drives :)  Unless there was a remake, otherwise POR came out in '88 before pc's could display color :)

The copy I had for the PC had color, and I don't remember it doing anything to my awesomely awesome 20mb hdd.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Derangedcowbrain

Gosh I'm old. I can't remember exactly which was first, but I played the NES Ultima (forget which one), and King's Quest, as well as Phantasy Star on Sega.

I don't remember there being any RPGs on the Atari 2600. Or at least I didn't have any.

Would we count Oregon Trail as a RPG?

DCB

There were plenty, but the genre was not defined as one separate from Adventure games until later in the 80s.

here is one of the first to be labeled RPG Adventure, The Crypts of Chaos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gd7IGj9CF4

And I would have thought Oregon Trail and MULE would both be early RPGs

• VillamVillam Member Posts: 2

Ultima III exodus at the age of 10, For the Commodore 64

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Mine was Final Fantasy on the NES. I was really young when we got it but I just had fun walking around in towns and trying to kill monsters outside. I actually never ended up playing it again until recently where I played it from start to finish in two sittings, it was a very good game.
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by AlBQuirky I've seen a few Pools of Radiance mentioned. Am I remembering correctly that PoR was the game that trashed your hard drive if you uninstalled it, or was that a different game?

The copy I had for the PC had color, and I don't remember it doing anything to my awesomely awesome 20mb hdd.

I have been known to be wrong before :P  I just remember all the PCs in the late 70s and early 80s either having Amber or Green and never the two together :)  C64 followed by the 128 on the other hand ooo boy.  Ofc the rich kids had apples but pbbbbt :)

I think that was the remake of Temple of Elemental Evil from 2000 or so that trashed hard drives.  The Commodore 64/128 didn't have a hard drive, it had floppy drives :)  Unless there was a remake, otherwise POR came out in '88 before pc's could display color :)
    And I bet that 20MB HDD cost a pretty penny!

I think you're right, severius. ToEE is the game I was thinking of :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

One of my first graphical RPG games I remember was Legacy of the Ancients for the C64.

First overall game might have been Zork...WAAAY back in the day

imageimage

After this it was all the gold box D&D games for me - Pools of Radiance, Champions of Krynn, etc..

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

imageIf Nethack counts, then Nethack was my first RPG

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

And I bet that 20MB HDD cost a pretty penny!

I think you're right, severius. ToEE is the game I was thinking of :)

For the record you were kind of right AlBQuirky.The game you are thinking of was Pool of Radiance:Ruins of Myth Drannor which had huge bugs including the one you described.This was made in 2001 by Ubisoft

However the Pools of Radiance game I and others talk of was made in 1988 by now defunct game company SSI.

The 2001 game was based on a D&D PnP module which itself was based on the 1988 game but they have no real direct relation to each other.

Also there was a user made module remake of SSI's Pool of Radiance for Neverwinter Nights that is far superior to Ubisoft's effort.

There you go...way more information than you ever wanted!!!!

Originally posted by Drakynn

I think that was the remake of Temple of Elemental Evil from 2000 or so that trashed hard drives.The Commodore 64/128 didn't have a hard drive, it had floppy drives :)  Unless there was a remake, otherwise POR came out in '88 before pc's could display color :)
    And I bet that 20MB HDD cost a pretty penny!I think you're right, severius. ToEE is the game I was thinking of :)
    For the record you were kind of right AlBQuirky.The game you are thinking of was Pool of Radiance:Ruins of Myth Drannor which had huge bugs including the one you described.This was made in 2001 by UbisoftHowever the Pools of Radiance game I and others talk of was made in 1988 by now defunct game company SSI.The 2001 game was based on a D&D PnP module which itself was based on the 1988 game but they have no real direct relation to each other.Also there was a user made module remake of SSI's Pool of Radiance for Neverwinter Nights that is far superior to Ubisoft's effort.There you go...way more information than you ever wanted!!!!
    You did ease my scattered mind. Thanks for the clarification :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Roderan
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

First pc rpg game would be Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. :) Anyone remember this gem?

I do, sort of.  Its not as memorable as Wizardry, Ultima, or Bard's Tail but I remember playing it for hours.  I remember you could play multiple characters.

My buddy Ken and I spent hours and hours on that, racing to see who could beat it first. I had collected all the letters, and told him I was stumped, but he recognized what it was immediately and we finished it together on his computer. Broderbund later released their "Adventure Construction Set" which was made it as much fun to create adventure games as it was to play Ali Baba.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

1997 my first PC game and RPG was Diablo and then StarCraft :)

Fond memories...Stationed in San Diego...

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box Cover

Nice. Brings back good memories.  Always got lost in the bottom maze south of the castle.  Damn you Rhindle!

Fondest memories are of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.  Thats when I fell in love with the genre.

• brenson164brenson164 Member Posts: 1
    Rule of Kingdom
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

My first real RPG would be Chrono Trigger.... That was a bloody asweomse game :)

And ofc then there was Pokemon blue ^^ but yea well i was like 10 y/o then :D

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    My first RPG on console was probably Adventure on the Atari 2600. On a computer my first experience has to have been Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness on the Commodore 64. If I remember correctly it was sometime in the early '80s, my uncle who lived in CA at the time got it for me. At that time you really couldn't find it anywhere, so I remember it being a big deal. That really started my love for Ultima and subsequent 8 year stint playing UO. My first IBM PC based RPG was Legacy of the Ancients by EA in around 1987.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

my firsts were all on console, personal computers were new, huge and expensive. Not that console were cheap. My parents used to RENT the consoles for me, usually over a weekend lmao

some games I remember.

Loved this game.

Actually, this entire string has turned into some crazy Dianetic Self Analysis memory exercise of my entire video game playing life as I recall having played, or at least tried to play many of the games that are being listed.

For the sake of honorable mention I'd like to add in a couple of games that I think were also RPG in nature but that were snuck in there on us under the guise of being platform games.

Castlevania Ghosts and Goblins

Castlevania and Ghosts and Goblins both featured character progression and loots and were probably the inspiration for a lot of kids to make the jump from Mega Man to MMO.