Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Was Your First RPG (PC or Console)?

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Leisure Suit Larry
  • Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by Dutchman87
    Secret of Mana for the SNES

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/Secret_of_Mana_Box.jpg

LOL. I had forgotten about this!

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Originally posted by DamonVile
     The temple of apshi was my first. I remember you got this book with the game and when you came to a room it told you what page to read. I was so young I never used to bother reading and often had no idea what I was doing. It was for our TRS-80 and had no real graphics. Not really sure you can call it a computer game by todays standards. It was more of a first attempt to move off pen and paper.Wizardry is the first game I remember that was actually a fully graphical "dungeon" and might and magic is the first one I played where you actually moved around the world....god I hated running into sprites !

Temple of Apshai was great fun. I think I still have the 5 1/4" floppy around here somewhere. I was fond of the game mechanic of a printed description and I believe that it could find a place in a modern game in some form.

I do remember it having some rudimentary graphics though. I think there were 2 versions and a couple of sequels/addons.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    on C-64.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

This was one of my favorites

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by immodium

On the Amiga

This...

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Mine was Zelda as well but strangely I didn't even like it, lol. The first one I really got into though was EQ on the PC.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by immodium

On the Amiga

This...

I loved all those old SSI rpg's  including Roadwar2000. LoL we had big imagination's back then

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Tir Na Nog on my Amstrad CPC 464 is my earliest memory of anything RPG like

Then Pool of Radiance,Bard's Tale and Dungeon Master on the Amiga.

Then finally I hit PC and played Wizardry,Might and Magic,Ultima series and Wasteland and was well and truly hooked on the genre.

EDIT: I don't count text or point and click adventures as RPGs apart from the Quest For Glory series which was a hybrid.But if I did then Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy would be my first.

If you count Arcade Games though....Gauntlet may of been my first RPG.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

Final Fantasy 1 for the NES, Followed by Legend of Zelda, then Crystalis, and then Legacy of the Wizard.

@Bren

Rogue was the shiznit.  Totally forgot about that.  Yea, that was my 1st one too.

Here you go... Take a walk down memory lane. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

On personal computer (Apple):

Zork, if we count the adventure games. Beneath Apple Manor, if we count angband/rogue games.

Otherwise, it was either Akalabeth or Telengard.

On Console:

I think it was Faxanadu.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

my firsts were all on console, personal computers were new, huge and expensive. Not that console were cheap. My parents used to RENT the consoles for me, usually over a weekend lmao

some games I remember.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium for the Sega Genesis. Ahhh memories!

Someone at school recommended and then loaned it to me. It was the start of something beautiful. I had found a genre I truly enjoyed.

I remember looking under every nook and cranny and trying to get many of the different spell combinations and writing everything down.

When I got sent into space I almost went nuts. It was the coolest thing I had ever experienced haha.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Baldur's gate. After that it was Neverwinter Nights.

I "could" count Atari's Adventure but I think I played 10 minutes of it and knew I hated it so never played it again.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

PC, Commodore 64, 1985, SSI game called Phantasie.  I played all three as they came out and was hooked on PC games ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasie#Phantasie_II

Those were the days...  Stationed in Alaska, playing all weekend wrapped in blankets because I had to sit the floppy drive on the open window sill so it would not overheat and ruin the 5.25 disk.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Colossal Cave Adventure

1984 : Colossal Cave Adventure, game description, video. On an IBM PC 64k RAM & CGA (4 bit graphics)

1988 : Pool of Radiance, game description, video. On my own IBM-XT clone @ 10Mhz 640k RAM (@ $1 / 1K and that was dirt cheep) & EGA (8 bit graphics)

I had played Rogue before but only for a week, and it had all ready been mentioned.  Realize that PoR was the predecessor to  Neverwinter, Oblivion, & Skyrim.  Watch the video to see just how far these games have come in 25 years.

In 1987

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Telengard 1978 C-64

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Questron, C-64
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

First pc rpg game would be Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. :) Anyone remember this gem? One of the things that made it great is you could co-op up to eight players. 

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

First pc rpg game would be Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. :) Anyone remember this gem?

I do, sort of.  Its not as memorable as Wizardry, Ultima, or Bard's Tail but I remember playing it for hours.  I remember you could play multiple characters.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Dragon Warrior 1.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Cool replies! Thanks :)

I feel like I missed out on a lot of great games in the early days.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

Bards Tale (on the Amiga)

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    Originally posted by Konfess

Colossal Cave Adventure

1984 : Colossal Cave Adventure, game description, video. On an IBM PC 64k RAM & CGA (4 bit graphics)

1988 : Pool of Radiance, game description, video. On my own IBM-XT clone @ 10Mhz 640k RAM (@ $1 / 1K and that was dirt cheep) & EGA (8 bit graphics)

I had played Rogue before but only for a week, and it had all ready been mentioned.  Realize that PoR was the predecessor to  Neverwinter, Oblivion, & Skyrim.  Watch the video to see just how far these games have come in 25 years.

In 1987

NIce to know I am not alone. I use to surf "BBS" for hours spending hundreds on phone bills. Playing games like this. ...you see a door ...blah blah blah..