Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: My Time with Hearthstone

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Hearthstone is Blizzard's latest addition to its stable of games, a trading-card game to boot. In his latest column, Matt Miller talks about his experiences in Hearthstone. See what he's got to say to see if you agree and then head to the comments to chat.

On a polish level, it is definitely a Blizzard game. The animations are smooth and fluid, keeping the World of Warcraft art style we have all become so accustomed to. The cards have a 3D feel to them, with the art popping off them when they are tilted as they are slung around the board, and there are particle effects, screen shakes, and incredible sound work (cribbing lots of familiar sounds from World of Warcraft). Overall I love the presentation. When I compare it to what we’ve seen so far of the upcoming Hex: Shards of Fate it looks a thousand times more polished.

Read more of Matt Miller's My Time in Hearthstone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

I didn't think I could get burned out on Hearthstone coverage, but I am, lol. All my youtube favs are playing it...I guess it was only a matter of time before it came to MMORPG.com

edit: oops, said hearthfire, meant hearthstone

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I think the biggest mistake was they gave the AI voices. The damn things seem to chatter too much.

It's like playing MTG against a trash talking human without the ability to punch them.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Tons of hype, most popular game on Twitch.........then 3 days later everyone realized the truth and it disappeared.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by zellmer

Tons of hype, most popular game on Twitch.........then 3 days later everyone realized the truth and it disappeared.

Seriously? What truth did everyone magically realize?

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

No no, not truth.

truth

Also, I got no clue what he's referring to.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141

I've been playing it and I really enjoy it.  My favorite so far is Matt's least, the warrior.  I haven't spent any money but still win at least 50% of the time.  I've managed to get a few good rares and even a legendary from just the gold I've won.

I mention this because on browsing the hearthstone forum I noticed lots of people complaining the game is p2w or too based on luck . (welcome to cards)

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    Hearthstone still has over 10k viewers on Twitch pretty much constantly.  It is currently #5 on Twitch right now at 11.5k viewers.  It dropped form when it was around 20k, but that was because it was new and happens to all games.
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    Originally posted by zellmer

Seriously? What truth did everyone magically realize?

I think he's referring to the erroneous belief that Hearthstone is pay to win, which it is not. One of the most powerful decks can be constructed from mostly commons and a few rares. It has over a 70% win ratio. 

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Aww come on guys, dont hate on Hearthstone, its probably one of the most fun games Ive had the pleasure of watching other people play for several hours on youtube. 

Seriously, I know its Blizzard, but Compare how fun the game is compared to Scrolls (Which I love by the way and have plugged at least 40 bucks into on decks alone) and its almost sad they dont have more games like it. 

Its super polished, super fun, and it doesnt take up your life or your wallet unless you want it to. 

ITs defiently not pay to win either, Ive seen several youtubers who only put in 20 bucks or less and do fine in Arena battles. For a F2P game, it does it right, in the same way Leagues did it right and Scrolls.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

These sorts of pay-by-the-pack collecting games scare me a little - they are very, very addictive.  The thought of that sort of lure, backed up with the behavioural metrics analysis that can be done in an online game seems like a really dangerous combinaton.  There's a part of my consumer brain screaming "danger: stay away" every time I encounter an article one of this new wave of virtual card games.

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Aww come on guys, dont hate on Hearthstone, its probably one of the most fun games Ive had the pleasure of watching other people play for several hours on youtube. 

Seriously, I know its Blizzard, but Compare how fun the game is compared to Scrolls (Which I love by the way and have plugged at least 40 bucks into on decks alone) and its almost sad they dont have more games like it. 

Its super polished, super fun, and it doesnt take up your life or your wallet unless you want it to. 

ITs defiently not pay to win either, Ive seen several youtubers who only put in 20 bucks or less and do fine in Arena battles. For a F2P game, it does it right, in the same way Leagues did it right and Scrolls.

I'm not hating on the game at all. It does look fun and the UI is much better than MTG UI.  I don't even play WoW, but I'd play this game. Right now though, I'm getting burned out on Hearthstone commentaries, lol. To the point where I start TotalBiscuit's hour long play-throughs when I go to bed, and then fall asleep to it, haha.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    In the article heading you refer to Hearthstone as a "trading card" game. It is not. It is a collectible card game, insofar as you cannot  "trade" cards.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Arena is a an even playing field as it does not matter if you've unlocked 50 cards or 500 cards you're still drafing from the same cards everyone else is.  If you good at arena and get 6+ games won there is a good chance you'll get enough gold to play arena again and in all cases you get a card pack.

It's been said but common cards can beat deck full of unlocked eipc and ledg cards, I have seen games won in 4 rounds so what good are those 7 and 9 cost ledg cards?

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

Hearthstone seems fun and all but the game lacks many things.  First of all, what's there to do?  You just endlessly duel players for virtually no reward or do the Pay Per Entry Arena mode. There's no currency or trading.  No possible way to get Packs without spending money.  No real meaningful progression or story to be found.

Don't get me wrong, the card game itself seems fun but I think this game will be met with negative reception after it releases.  There are many high quality feature rich MMO card games on the horizon that have a lot more to offer than Hearthstone.

Originally posted by Ujirik

Hearthstone seems fun and all but the game lacks many things.  First of all, what's there to do?  You just endlessly duel players for virtually no reward or do the Pay Per Entry Arena mode. There's no currency or trading.  No possible way to get Packs without spending money.  No real meaningful progression or story to be found.

Don't get me wrong, the card game itself seems fun but I think this game will be met with negative reception after it releases.  There are many high quality feature rich MMO card games on the horizon that have a lot more to offer than Hearthstone.

You can get card packs by spending your gold that you get for winning games.   Gold is earned doing the quest you get each day, achievements and milestones and doing good in the arena mode, you can also enter arena with gold and not just real cash.

You can disenchant cards you don't want into dust and craft any other card in the game including the legendary cards.

You can level up each class the more your play and that is how you unlock your common cards for those classes.

There is a ranked play, are you good enough to be a 3 star diamond player.

HS is not designed to be played for hours each day it's a little side game you can spend half hour in here and there, the average match will take around 10 minutes.  

If you complete the daily quest each day you'll likey have enough gold to buy a pack of cards every 2 days, want it faster than that then pony up the cash or try your luck in the arena and strive for that 9-0 win.

• FrinkiacVIIFrinkiacVII Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I play Magic: The Gathering and the one thing I'll say in defense of Magic Online is that they will send you a full set of magic cards if you manage to collect a set of online ones and go through the process of cashing them in for the real thing.  Apart from that, Magic Online is the "freebase" version of Magic.  It's cheaper to produce, can be sold for the same prices actual Magic packs sell for, and it keeps people coming back for more.  Arguably, you're paying MORE for Online packs because in RL you can buy a whole box of packs, usually at a discount if you pre-order it.  Some people have argued that Magic Online is basically gambling, because you fork over money and get random rewards, which makes it the same thing in a psychological sense.  It could be argued that the online version doesn't even result in any ACTUAL money-equivalent value being won by those who win, because it generally stays in the online system in the form of Event Tickets or card-for-card trades, etc.  But like I said, if you can scrape together a full set, they'll send you a REAL full set in the mail, which means there is the POSSIBILITY you could get physical objects for your money, eventually (maybe).  If Hearthstone doesn't have a RL analog that can be done like that, I would avoid it (and am). 

"Well sure, the FrinkiacVII looks impressive - DON'T TOUCH IT - but I predict that within 100 years computers will be TWICE as powerful, ten THOUSAND times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them." -Prof. Frink

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Like all CCG's, real world or online, it's just a cash grab.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by Nephaerius

But a fun cash grab.

• Rudeo98Rudeo98 Member Posts: 2
    I don't like that game
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

One key difference though. Hearthstone can be played totally free. You can't do that with real world CCGs.