Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Real Money & Gold Auction Houses to Be Removed

Comments

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Guess it didn't produce the revenue they anticipated. So item shop shortly after?

No because it ruined the game, and Blizzard is smart enough to know that.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

What undermined D3 was the Trillions of gold the farmers made overnight and total trashing of the economy.

If Blizzard would have came down hard on anyone with over a max reasonable amount of gold in their account after the first few days, squashed all the exploits and then did a complete game wipe and started over from scratch they would have been in much better shape than they are now.

Seriously, how can they not do a simple query and find out which accounts have something like 1,000,000,000 gold on the day after launch?

While I really loved D3 for what it was the exploiters trashed the economy and ruined the AH's.

I'll be hard pressed to even log back into D3 no matter what they do.

Ratero.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by AtrusV

You can agree or disagree with my thought's,it's all good.I can't help but think that PoE may have had some influence here.I like PoE and many here know that,this isn't too toot the games horn.

I just think that PoE has shown you can have a good/great game without an ah.People trade face to face like the old days.It may seem dated to many,but it work's.

It should be about playing the game and earning things in game.Whether through play or in game trade.An ah isn't needed.

Just my 2 coppers.

Well, I admit that face to face trading had some positive points. Not having the constante reference of the item's market value, you had the opportunity to scam or being scammed (depending on your trading skills)

The drawback, however, is having to enter, exit, enter and exit public games to announce your items, over and over. I can't stand to lose all the afternoon doing that and possibly not having the items I want. If there were a massive trade hub (like Jita in EVE, although Jita uses a totally different trading system, more similar to an auction house), I could consider enjoying it.

Let's see how the game runs after removing the auction house. However, just adding a new class (that I could even enjoy or not) and one new map, is not sufficient for me to buy back the expansión. If I want to see new things, I'll go back to Path of Exile again.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.Even though I think PoE may have played a part in the decision.I believe that it was mostly the exploits with the ah that doomed it.The exploits allowed some players to access a lot of gold and then turn around and sell the gold for real $$.

Even though Blizz said they corrected the exploits,you know darn well that was PR and that damage was done.t.

Im pretty sure this has more to do with the overwhelming positivity the console versions loot system is getting, than PoE influencing it....if any game influenced it here, it would be TL...but again i dont think any game influenced this decision aside form the console ports and PC player feedback...

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Kasreyn
    Will be interesting to see what prices do in the next few months. What good is 890 Bil gold with no where to spend it.

Eh? You'll still be able to buy trade face to face you know..

Removing the old AH will only stop the oversaturation of loot. It will not stop the trading for those that want to.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by doodphace

You can agree or disagree with my thought's,it's all good.I can't help but think that PoE may have had some influence here.I like PoE and many here know that,this isn't too toot the games horn.

I just think that PoE has shown you can have a good/great game without an ah.People trade face to face like the old days.It may seem dated to many,but it work's.

It should be about playing the game and earning things in game.Whether through play or in game trade.An ah isn't needed.

Just my 2 coppers.

Well, I admit that face to face trading had some positive points. Not having the constante reference of the item's market value, you had the opportunity to scam or being scammed (depending on your trading skills)

The drawback, however, is having to enter, exit, enter and exit public games to announce your items, over and over. I can't stand to lose all the afternoon doing that and possibly not having the items I want. If there were a massive trade hub (like Jita in EVE, although Jita uses a totally different trading system, more similar to an auction house), I could consider enjoying it.

Let's see how the game runs after removing the auction house. However, just adding a new class (that I could even enjoy or not) and one new map, is not sufficient for me to buy back the expansión. If I want to see new things, I'll go back to Path of Exile again.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.Even though I think PoE may have played a part in the decision.I believe that it was mostly the exploits with the ah that doomed it.The exploits allowed some players to access a lot of gold and then turn around and sell the gold for real $$.

Even though Blizz said they corrected the exploits,you know darn well that was PR and that damage was done.t.

Im pretty sure this has more to do with the overwhelming positivity the console versions loot system is getting, than PoE influencing it....if any game influenced it here, it would be TL...but again i dont think any game influenced this decision aside form the console ports and PC player feedback...

I dont buy that,the decision was probably made well before the console launch.PoE is doing better than TL so I'd say that is more of an influence then TL.Hell PoE hasn't released from beta yet.Sure it's released but the full release is due in the fall.Funny how a free arpg could have an influence,but it appears so,even if just a little.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Lots of naive people around here. This was FIRST a marketing move. The expansion development was started several months ago and now it was the right time to announce it and the removal of the AH. 

They lost customers with the AH ( specially the RMAH ). Now, imagine how many of those will buy the new expansion when they heard that the AH will be removed.

Let's say the RMAH was generating few millions per month ( who think that Blizzard is doing more from it, are again, very naive persons ) . Now, if they will sell +2 mil copies of the expansion because of the removal of the AH, that means they will be making around 120 mil . The RMAH would have made those money in years.  They will have less "stress" because of it, since running an AH like this, require a lot of work involved by many persons ( and/or factors ).

In the end, this is a win - win ( somehow ) .

I however, find it a bit harsh to remove the Gold AH too. I mean, ok, we might get better loot just by playing the game, but seriously, an AH is a must in today's games. 

I mean, imagine the fun spamming the General or Trade chat : WTT EF + socket + LS + bla bla, offer me.

The Gold AH was doing this for us, while we were farming act X till madness, but starting March 18 - 2014 ... prepare to type and slay monsters in the same time, unless Blizzard has an Ace in their pocket at Blizzcon ( which I am 90% sure they have ) , regarding the trading system.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    good point
  • HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Now they need to get rid of Ghostcrawler and I'll go back to WoW! :P

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by IceAge

Lots of naive people around here. This was FIRST a marketing move. The expansion development was started several months ago and now it was the right time to announce it and the removal of the AH. 

They lost customers with the AH ( specially the RMAH ). Now, imagine how many of those will buy the new expansion when they heard that the AH will be removed.

Let's say the RMAH was generating few millions per month ( who think that Blizzard is doing more from it, are again, very naive persons ) . Now, if they will sell +2 mil copies of the expansion because of the removal of the AH, that means they will be making around 120 mil . The RMAH would have made those money in years.  They will have less "stress" because of it, since running an AH like this, require a lot of work involved by many persons ( and/or factors ).

In the end, this is a win - win ( somehow ) .

I however, find it a bit harsh to remove the Gold AH too. I mean, ok, we might get better loot just by playing the game, but seriously, an AH is a must in today's games. 

I mean, imagine the fun spamming the General or Trade chat : WTT EF + socket + LS + bla bla, offer me.

The Gold AH was doing this for us, while we were farming act X till madness, but starting March 18 - 2014 ... prepare to type and slay monsters in the same time, unless Blizzard has an Ace in their pocket at Blizzcon ( which I am 90% sure they have ) , regarding the trading system.

Exactly!  The RMAH was hurting their bottomline.  Especially since the RMT industry completely deflated the entire AH within a month lol. Like they couldn´t see that coming from a mile away. /shrug

They already got people´s Money on initial Box sales. Now they also want people´s Money for the expansion.

And they were not going to get it, unless they fix the loot system and remove the abomination that is the RMAH.

They obviously saw the huge success of the console game and how People were much more enjoying that Version With the New loot 2.0 system and no AH present.

So now they make the same move for PC Version and hope People will come back and buy the expansion.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Guess it didn't produce the revenue they anticipated. So item shop shortly after?

The only way the AH could ruin the game for someone is if they abused it. Its mere presence doesn't affect the game at all, at least not in my experience.

I think the reason they're removing the AH is because they completely underestimated the amount of policing they'd have to do in order to keep the economy (somewhat, at any rate) balanced. It's very obvious they didn't realize just how dominant the gold farmers would be. While the situation could have been fixed, they probably figured that it wasn't worth the money or manpower. That, and by shutting it down they remove a huge source of the enmity toward the game (most of which is undeserved, IMO).

So it's a win-win all around for Blizzard, although I hope they put some time & effort into refining face to face trading. It's kind of easy to exploit at the moment...

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Just my 2 coppers.

Even though Blizz said they corrected the exploits,you know darn well that was PR and that damage was done.

If that was the case, it would have been a better idea to simply remove the gold AH and leave the RMAH

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I get them removing the RMAH, but why the gold one also? That was a great addition to the game. The problem with the RMAH was that they clearly designed the loot system to be as awful as possible in an attempt to prod people into giving them more money through their cut of the RMAH transactions.

I also don't understand why they are waiting so long...

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    I get them removing the RMAH, but why the gold one also? That was a great addition to the game. The problem with the RMAH was that they clearly designed the loot system to be as awful as possible in an attempt to prod people into giving them more money through their cut of the RMAH transactions.

I also don't understand why they are waiting so long...

Agree with the idea behind the RMAH, however the gold AH is screwed too because they don't know how to manage gold sink holes. The inflation is monstrous.

They should leave the RMAH, increase the legendary item drop and get money from item sells with low or decent prices. Their cut of the profits is a fixed amount in every transaction plus the comission. Thinking they would have make lots of money by reducing the legendary drops, and just a few transaction with huge prices is a bad move. Why? Because almost everybody would be pissed off because they won't have anything to sell. How do you think people would be happier, with just a few making lots of money , or a lot of people making just a bit?

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    I would like the follow up story on the guy that spent $50,000 on an in game item and his reaction to this change.

If someone spends that kind of money for a problem they created then they should be more aware of the victims of such hyper inflated items.

Im guessing the value of items will drop as well. Which again i want to know the reaction of this guy who spent a lot of money in a game which was somewhat recent news.

I thought introducing meaningless gear grinds in pvp for the same pvp bracket was poor dev. decision making...but that this is a whole different lvl.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    I would like the follow up story on the guy that spent $50,000 on an in game item and his reaction to this change.

If someone spends that kind of money for a problem they created then they should be more aware of the victims of such hyper inflated items.

Im guessing the value of items will drop as well. Which again i want to know the reaction of this guy who spent a lot of money in a game which was somewhat recent news.

I thought introducing meaningless gear grinds in pvp for the same pvp bracket was poor dev. decision making...but that this is a whole different lvl.

I am sorry, but I have ZERO sympathy for People spending that kind of Money on a bunch of pixels.

If you can spend THAT kind of Money on a single Virtual item aka bunch of pixels, then that is Money you could do without.

So that person was either a millionaire With plenty of disposible Income and wouldn´t miss it.

Or a Complete fool with serious mental issues if he used all his savings, or worse, took a credit loan to pay such an idiotic amount for a bunch of pixels.

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    AH was ok.. but loot is terrible.. only nolifers can profit.. and normal gamers ends game at inferno
  • bazingabazinga Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I'll play D3 again if they provide the expansion for free, because up until now this was a freaking beta test, with content for two days, and everyone was their free beta tester guinea pig!
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    great news :)
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama Originally posted by Gorilla Guess it didn't produce the revenue they anticipated. So item shop shortly after?
    The only way the AH could ruin the game for someone is if they abused it. Its mere presence doesn't affect the game at all, at least not in my experience.

I think the reason they're removing the AH is because they completely underestimated the amount of policing they'd have to do in order to keep the economy (somewhat, at any rate) balanced. It's very obvious they didn't realize just how dominant the gold farmers would be. While the situation could have been fixed, they probably figured that it wasn't worth the money or manpower. That, and by shutting it down they remove a huge source of the enmity toward the game (most of which is undeserved, IMO).

So it's a win-win all around for Blizzard, although I hope they put some time & effort into refining face to face trading. It's kind of easy to exploit at the moment...

They could have went with more of a stock market kind of system, where people searching always saw the lowest price. Then it would have been really difficult for people to corner the market on items. It would still have the same impact on game play that Blizz was talking about though. The game should be about killing stuff and collecting loot, not playing the market to get gear.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I was playing this game before then i quit because i'm getting bored back to back in the same map. I did not see more people in the town and people are not friendly. They  only join in my party just to farm a gold. I quit D3 and go back to my old game War of the Immortals. I like War of  Immortals because I can see more people in the town, people are friendly and it's look like D3. More people know it if there is someone hacking the game because it's written in the system chat. If he is in the clan member, the clan member will kick him.
  • JeanneJeanne Member UncommonPosts: 22
    ...Never even noticed the auctionhouse, didn't see it ingame at least ,then again, I only ever played Diablo 3 alone , didn't check the mainmenu very well , either way I felt like I was done with the game after the first playthrough ....
  • scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

Diablo 2 was all about the loot for me. Well after the visceral gameplay. Finding great loot, speccing for different situations was the fun of the game.

The drop rates for the best stuff is so low in Diablo 3 that I was forced to consider buying. 150+ hours and not even a sniff of one of the better items in the game. Then I'd see a player with BiS for almost every position and think "That isn't right".

Sweat shop loot farmers playing the game for a living were in from day one - AH might just have survived if it wasn't for that.

• KillbaneKillbane Member UncommonPosts: 23
    The console version has better controls IMO and also offline gameplay only downside is that we will pry have to wait longer for the xpack.

Solo play is for off-line players.

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89
    @KIllbane - I don't like the console controls, I think the PC controls are a lot better. Console controls are like pushing a piece of string uphill while wearing boxing gloves.
  • TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Great move on their part. Now if they remove the always connected to the internet requirement, I might buy the game.