Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't decide which class to play

I have 1 activation left, and I can't decide which character to unlock.  I have a lvl 37 Jedi Knight I think I'm on chapter 3 with him, and a level 1 Jedi Consular.  I kinda feel like I hit the peak of the Jedi Knight story, but I'm worried the Jedi Consular story won't be any good (I heard it was kinda bad).  I would really appreciate any insight you can give me on this.  :)

Comments

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I actually just created a Jedi Knight myself lol. Only reason I havent done a consular is because my main it sith inquisitor.

Why not just make another account? Then you can have 4 slots lol.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

For republic, i enjoyed the trooper and smuggler the most. Not just because the story was any better per se, but the role of the characters was more interesting than the over serious jedi knight or consular. And the companions of the smuggler are great.

So go for smuggler. 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I found the Imp Agent the most fun combat-wise and story was solid, but only got into 20's before quitting.
  • ChriscaaChriscaa Member Posts: 10
    Well the thing is I have every class unlocked except Smuggler, Jedi Knight, and Jedi Consular.  I have zero interest in playing a Smuggler, so its just down to my level 37 Jedi Knight, or my level 1 Jedi Consular.  Also, I have some stuff like hiding helmet, and color organization on this account so I really don't want to make a new one.  :(
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Sith Inquisitor and Imperial Agent have the best stories by a long margin.

Smuggler deserves an honourable mention for the Jedi side.

You cheated yourself a bit by not finishing the Jedi Knight story. Most of the story is terrible, but the finale is great.

Originally posted by evilastro

You cheated yourself a bit by not finishing the Jedi Knight story. Most of the story is terrible, but the finale is great.

Smuggler seems pretty lame, I had a lvl 20 smuggler before I quit him.  Also I liked the beginning of the Jedi Knight story but after chapter 3 it just seems like you go off to kill the emperor.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Chriscaa

Smuggler seems pretty lame, I had a lvl 20 smuggler before I quit him.  Also I liked the beginning of the Jedi Knight story but after chapter 3 it just seems like you go off to kill the emperor.

You must have strange taste. Most people hated the JK story and liked the Smuggler.

Personally I thought all the Jedi side stories were pretty lame, but Smuggler had more witty dialogue than the others.  

You must have strange taste. Most people hated the JK story and liked the Smuggler.

Personally I thought all the Jedi side stories were pretty lame, but Smuggler had more witty dialogue than the others.  

For me the Smuggler story falls off once you get your ship and I don't understand why people don't like the Jedi Knight story.  I liked going around to different worlds stopping giant super weapons.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I played a tank specced inquisitor. It was actually a lot of fun. I only had one or two a abilities where I had to stand still. The rest you can run around spamming instant moves sprinting pulling people in knocking them back.

Wonder if anyone will ever answer my actual question.  I just wanted to know which one you think is better Jedi Consular or Jedi Knight...
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I'll likely not ever go back (but who knows if some good update comes up someday) but I can only play 1 class in that game now:

Gunslinger.

It is one of my all time fav mmo classes by far.

You stay sassy!

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

I liked the Jedi Knight story. I won't say any more than that lest I spoil it.

I will mention that I had a blast playing my Sith Warrior as disrespectful student of Lard Bare-ass [sic]. It was funny to hear him rant in impotent rage because, of course, he cannot retaliate against you. My Sith was secretly a Republic operative which worked, rp-wise, for about 2/3rds of the quest line. But then, seems like the devs gave up on that story tree.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Wonder if anyone will ever answer my actual question.  I just wanted to know which one you think is better Jedi Consular or Jedi Knight...

Having played both, I preferred the Jedi Knight. Consular was a bit...meh. It felt like very little time was devoted to the class quest as far as production value. Perhaps it was one of the last classes worked on before launch. Whereas the Knight seemed like it was one the very first classes worked on, having a lot of depth to the story and plenty of production value.

Originally posted by Drakephire

Having played both, I preferred the Jedi Knight. Consular was a bit...meh. It felt like very little time was devoted to the class quest as far as production value. Perhaps it was one of the last classes worked on before launch. Whereas the Knight seemed like it was one the very first classes worked on, having a lot of depth to the story and plenty of production value.

alright thanks for the info Drake :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Drakephire

alright thanks for the info Drake :)

Have to agree, if the choice is just limited to Jedi Knight and Consular, then the Jedi Knight storyline is much better, but both storylines are imo, among the weakest in the game, not that their not fun, its just that i know from experience that the others were better, at least for me. My favourite is still the Imperial Agent.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

There is one of the most irritating thing to me about SWTOR classes - torso twist.

Characters twist their torso in 180° range. It isn't as noticable when playing light saber users but when playing ie. Trooper class, it is just ridiculous.

I guess it is a silly reason considered by most but it truly ruins my whole game experience :(

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

For me the Smuggler story falls off once you get your ship and I don't understand why people don't like the Jedi Knight story.  I liked going around to different worlds stopping giant super weapons.

As a sw fan, the hype of a sw game, and joy of playing a force user class can easily make a force user more enjoyable. 

However, beyond that hype, people might have certain pre-conceptions of what they imagined a force user class to be, and how that epic story will unfold. The so called training and following a master, and discovery of new sw lore. In the sw lore from a jedi knight of something related to the class, there was no mystery. There was no wonder, but also very serious. So i thought at least if they wanted that serious tone to offer a sense of adventure that fit the class more, and not riding on the sw hype as much.

Or a sw/si on korriban going through a lot of archeology. And getting new knowledge meant a new ability instead of just finding it all at the npc that sells abilities. Its a small thing, but a major difference in a game with so much lore that also has a game that prides itself on story but then ignores that for one important aspect of lvling.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Undead Warlock is great fun ;)
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    I have 1 activation left, and I can't decide which character to unlock.  I have a lvl 37 Jedi Knight I think I'm on chapter 3 with him, and a level 1 Jedi Consular.  I kinda feel like I hit the peak of the Jedi Knight story, but I'm worried the Jedi Consular story won't be any good (I heard it was kinda bad).  I would really appreciate any insight you can give me on this.  :)

Jedi Consular story is TERRRRRRRRRRRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a lvl 50 shadow, operative, powertech, scoundrel, juggernaut, sorceror, and assassin.

Best story was Operative, it was a lot of fun. James Bond style stuff.

2nd best was Sith Warrior and Knight.

3rd Scoundrel

Worst was Consular and Bounty Hunter.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    imperial agent.  very fun

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

Jedi Consular story is TERRRRRRRRRRRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a lvl 50 shadow, operative, powertech, scoundrel, juggernaut, sorceror, and assassin.

Best story was Operative, it was a lot of fun. James Bond style stuff.

2nd best was Sith Warrior and Knight.

3rd Scoundrel

Worst was Consular and Bounty Hunter.

What was wrong with the Consular story?  Was it too slow, or did nothing epic happening? :o

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

So far, the Sith Inq isn't too bad.

Imp Agent is James Bondish and quite amusing.

Smuggler is too much Han Solo wannabe.

BH was ok.

Jedi is......ok.

Trooper is GI Joeish.

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

I'd say between knight and consular, the knight story is far better.  However,  I think most people don't like the jedi stories compared to the rest of the games stories because these two stories have been done over and over again in every single star wars game....Whereas how often do you get to play a star wars game from a smuggler, bounty hunter or imperial agent point of view or a view other than a jedi trying to save the galaxy?

Oh and it doesn't hurt that for whatever reason, the imperial side (story, characters, graphics, outfits, animations..etc) are all better done than the republic side.  I mean just look at the fleets for both sides, imperial side looks way more polished than republic side...pub side just looks and feels bland and dull.   This all disappoints me too because in every star wars game I've always been hardcore light side as I hate being a baddie...

So  to sum up differences in knight and consular in my opinion (and mostly from guardian and sage points of view....haven't finished my shadow or marauder yet)...

Knight

• Better story
    • Better survival verse tough mobs especially bosses
    • Develops late in level (like 36+) as many key abilities are garbage until you can talent them in skill tree
    • Extreme long cooldowns on all skills (so pretty much priority rotation)
    • Slow Leveling unless focus/rage build, but then defense is soft in that spec.
    • Pretty reliant on heal  companion for tough fights
    • OP in PVP when there's more than 1 knight on a team (smashers or tanks)
    • Has better conversation options and multiple choices during the story
    • Has better looking animations and attacks
    • Restrictive build options due to most skill trees being tied to a stance (every since 2.0).
    • Annoying to gear up and have the option to switch specs at will...although tank with DPS gear isn't bad, but tank gear makes tanks much better in my opinion.
    • Good artifice crafting class so crystals, enhancements, offhand's are easy to keep up to date....besides, enhancements are not easily found throughout the game like armorings and mods are...i.e. vendors don't sell all the useful knight enhancements....you pretty much have to craft them yourself or buy them from other crafters.
    Consular
    • Bland story with weak voice acting (especially female voice, it's terrible)
    • Develops well over the course of leveling...don't have to wait to later levels to be fully effective.
    • More diplomatic story options and focus on avoiding fights (many force persuasion options)
    • Very high damage output, single target and Aoe
    • Self healing, spammable force bubble, many crowd control abilities
    • If lightning spec, can have near infinite force resource (even better than a scoundrel)...heals are still costly though.
    • Can easily solo mobs 4 or 5 levels higher than yourself (due to crowd control abilities)
    • Versatile build options and freedom to create any kind of hybrid you like and still perform very well in PVE and PVP
    • Easy to gear up since it's pretty much Willpower and Power for every spec
    • Extremely good and useful in warzones in just about any map or any situation except carrying the huttball for too long LOL...your not forced into a single role like guarding or protecting individual players or teams...so you can pretty much freelance as a sage, though your limited as a shadow to a soloist
    • Extremely squishy, so can't take focus fire (that's why the crowd control is important).
    • Kinda boring turret style attacks/heals for 90% of all specs.
    • Pebble animation for Telekinetic throw simply sucks balls...BW could have done better really!!!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...sure there is more I missed...but hopefully this is enough to give you what you need to decide what class to go with...

But I'm curious, why you only have 1 slot for another character?  if your sub, you get what? 22 slots for characters?   If you free to play or preferred, just buy character unlocks for about 150k or so credits off GTN (or use coin in cartel market)....then you can make a consular and a knight and decide which one you like better...

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

The Jedi Knight has really good story. :)

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I have played every class to at least 30th or more and have a few 50s. I have to say my favorite class in combat and in FPs and Ops is the Vanguard Trooper - Ranged Tank (lev 55 on him).

Best story line is the Imperial Agent but I also have enjoyed the Sith Warrior story line quite a bit.