Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to AOC!

Anyone else coming back for the summer?

I've spent the last 2 years trying ALL the games (gw2, swtor, DFUW, etc...) - looking for fun. and to be honest....the hardcore server on AOC was the most fun I had in a game for a long time. It had this wonderful PVP as I leveled up. It was the first game in a long time that gave me world pvp as I leveled and kept me very distracted at all sorts of levels.

I remember I had a lot of RL stuff going on - and I just ended up suddenly being forced to quit the game - and it just kinda fell on a back burner in my mind.

Now that I've re-installed it through steam, I remember why I played this game in the first place.

So, if you are someone like me, coming back, hit me up as "Vlakmir" or "Alukar" on deathwish, or even PM me here and I'd be happy to start new characters or just generally play together.(Seeing I am starting an internship in a few weeks, I will probably become pretty casual for about 8 weeks in the summer, but other than that, will be play loads)

Pardon my low tolerance for stupidity.

Comments

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Welcome back to AoC RyGuy786!   I completely support your posts on the DFUW forums, btw.  I also recommend you check out the official AoC UI forums and checkout the post on SweetFX.  I've found it actually improves both the graphics and FPS in AoC.
  • Ryguy786Ryguy786 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by indiramourn
    Welcome back to AoC RyGuy786!   I completely support your posts on the DFUW forums, btw.  I also recommend you check out the official AoC UI forums and checkout the post on SweetFX.  I've found it actually improves both the graphics and FPS in AoC.

Looking forward to these changes...!

I don't (always ;) ) enjoy the forum fighting, but DF:UW is a serious sham by a terrible company...

Pardon my low tolerance for stupidity.

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I downloaded and installed the game but I think my account was hacked coz all my characters have zero money and no epics. Think someone sold my gear. Feels odd playing it, not sure whether to play or not.
  • TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I'm putting Conan back on my PC for a try.  I quit DarkFall Unholy Wars and I am looking for a hardcore mmo with PvP.  I used to play AoC for a few months after it was released, so its been a while and i'm sure lots has changed, so I will be sort of a noob.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    this is my first time playing the game... I just now created a char and am lvl 9.. on the middle server i think..  i forget the name.. have to check.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295
    I joined the hardcore server, forgot the name. Still early to tell, but do far I like it. The combat was alway fun in AoC, and when I used to play the community was great. It seems like it still is so far.
  • Started to download the game and check it, wil be there soon!
  • monstrosity93monstrosity93 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Patching the final part right now..can't wait to give it a go! 
  • MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    What server is everyone on?  I'm on SET and thinking of playing this again.  I already have a few characters created so I'm ready to do.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I haven't played since release. Downloading it right now to try the free version. It's been downloading for a few hours now at 1+ MB/sec. I can't believe how long this is taking. It's killing my enthusiasm for the game. Anyways, I used to play on a PvP server, but back then we were all on equal footing. I doubt I'll play on a PvP server this time, since I'd be lvl 1 and a free player, so I'm sure I'd be at a serious disadvantage and I hate getting camped by higher levels

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294

Tried the game again a few months ago. It's still a complete disaster. Uninstalled after 15-20 minutes.

Some of the shittiest animations I've ever seen, game is still about as far from optimized as humanly possible.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

Tried the game again a few months ago. It's still a complete disaster. Uninstalled after 15-20 minutes.

Some of the shittiest animations I've ever seen, game is still about as far from optimized as humanly possible.

i have to agree with this one, i also reinstalled it months ago and yep still the same **** it was always and combat? what an earth is so fun with that? repeating hits to the side that has no }}} on? well each of us have different minds and minds like different things.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    the game seems okay.. I don't  think its bad..  but I don't know if i will play it long term.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    the game seems okay.. I don't  think its bad..  but I don't know if i will play it long term.

How far have you played? Some of the top things about this game is the nature, view and looks of stuff. Combat also of course, but I think there is several opinions about it.

After Tortage Island, the game opens up more also. And find a guild or a few friends ingame to play with, always better then. If a lack of players around your lvl, well a merge of EU/US (just like AO has) is coming up this fall, so its gonna get stuffed anyway.

Greetings from EU Fury.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Ryguy786

already returned to having a sub half a year ago - awesome game. Offers so much, really matured and flys on my new graphics card.

No clue how anyone could play this when it came out on hardware available 2008, the graphics are amazing for today´s standards

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Tried the game a few weeks ago and its just not for me. Don't like the combat and I cant do linear quest mmos.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by nate1980

I haven't played since release. Downloading it right now to try the free version. It's been downloading for a few hours now at 1+ MB/sec. I can't believe how long this is taking. It's killing my enthusiasm for the game. Anyways, I used to play on a PvP server, but back then we were all on equal footing. I doubt I'll play on a PvP server this time, since I'd be lvl 1 and a free player, so I'm sure I'd be at a serious disadvantage and I hate getting camped by higher levels

1-20 is a savezone, to make people get into the game. in earlier years this was the main pvp area since everyone just made fast level 19 chars and pvped around was fun as hell to be honest. they changed the area settings to make sure low levels and new players get into the gameplay. Atleast later everyone who is 5 levels over you will get a huge disadvantage after killing lowlevels, he will have a death mark over his head. He will not be able to talk to any merchant anymore or even not able to go into any main city, since all guards will just kill him. He will has to live as a refugee in refugee camps and has to do boring grinds to make this mark go away, its really not funny having this murder status.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by faxnadu
    combat? what an earth is so fun with that? repeating hits to the side that has no }}} on? well each of us have different minds and minds like different things.

Combat has alot more depth than that....wait to you get more skills.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

As humanly possible all combat skill animations beside the magic ones, are motion captures. Sorry they couldnt do fancy super hero tricks like in low budget games, since real humans can't do that.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Just returned to the game this week on a whim and got a 1 year subscription and I'm loving being back.

It took me a day or two to get back up to speed on my Conqueror, but this game still has some of the best combat around.  I also love how you can sprint away from enemies to avoid dying as I've had to do a couple of time already.

Not perfect of course, but very very good and lots of fun.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• zlaitveszlaitves Member Posts: 4
    The combat impressively remains gripping enough to push you forward, even when you're pursuing tasks that could qualify as grinding. Much of this has to do with the various roles a single class can play within an adventuring group--even classes that are seemingly dedicated to healing and support. A Herald of Xotli may be an offensive powerhouse, but the healing blood pit he occasionally drops can be a major boon to a party close to defeat.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Just returned to the game this week on a whim and got a 1 year subscription and I'm loving being back.

Same here, only not on a whim :)

with the 5th anniversary they've boosted the subscription value (bigger stipend, +1AA for every level), not to mention they gave 80 AA points to every lvl80 character as a gift for every member.

That, + I got everything from Risa (STO), and + LotRO's summer festival was quite a letdown... So not on a whim for me, it was a logical decision for the next few months :)

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

AoC has the best combat system i can imagine for a MMORPG.

Its challenging and darn deep, also the game is maybe the best looking game i ever saw.

Ya, maybe i should log on Rage again ^^

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Let's say I start a new character and want to earn AA points, what do I need to buy ? A subscription, the expansion, both ? People in game couldn't answer and with my FunCom account dating back to the release of Anarchy Online as well as having pre-ordered Age of Conan I can't post on the AoC forums. Yay for customer bonding.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Ryguy786

I've spent the last 2 years trying ALL the games (gw2, swtor, DFUW, etc...) - looking for fun. and to be honest....the hardcore server on AOC was the most fun I had in a game for a long time. It had this wonderful PVP as I leveled up. It was the first game in a long time that gave me world pvp as I leveled and kept me very distracted at all sorts of levels.

I remember I had a lot of RL stuff going on - and I just ended up suddenly being forced to quit the game - and it just kinda fell on a back burner in my mind.

Now that I've re-installed it through steam, I remember why I played this game in the first place.

So, if you are someone like me, coming back, hit me up as "Vlakmir" or "Alukar" on deathwish, or even PM me here and I'd be happy to start new characters or just generally play together.(Seeing I am starting an internship in a few weeks, I will probably become pretty casual for about 8 weeks in the summer, but other than that, will be play loads)

"It had this wonderful PVP as I leveled up...."

Do you actually work for the Osslo located company or are you being serious?  I played Dark Age of Camelot - a game where we got to fight people different than us.  So no CImmerian, Aquilonian, Stygian killing Aquilonian, Stygian, CImmerian guild groups.

Variety is something this game sorely needs.  But it has been dying since day 1 when they ignored pages of requests from the old Dark Age fans to make this a real pvp mmorpg and not a European version of Guild Wars.

GOod luck though - this game had a lot of potential for RvR type pvp.  If you don't know what that is then no worries.  It won't matter.