Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Real Money & Gold Auction Houses to Be Removed

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I am now planning on buying D3. Best choice you've made in awhile Blizzard.

Smile

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    The only reason they did this was because they would not sell the expansion at all. There was great hatred towards the AH. At least, now they can sell you the expansion, then reimplement the RL AH. They will be doubledipping, mark my words.
  • DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by doodphace
    I just started D3 up again, playing a monk on Monster Power 10 leveling from 1-60, I am towards the end of act2 at the moment only 1 ledgendary so far.  Loot 2.0 should resolve that.

Why would you level a toon with MP10. The only items worth keeping are ilvl 63, which only drop on inferno, are are pretty much only found with 5 stacks of lvl 60 only nephlem valor. I guess you would do it for the challenge, but your post is regarding loot, so it doesnt really make much sense imo.

Yeah it was for the challenge but the problem is you level up twice as fast so the extra dmg and hp the monsters have are kind of cancelled out by your high level, good for the gold though.

MP10 is inefficient..

• LunarpacLunarpac Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Holy cow, I may actually end up buying this thing. I never thought I would go near D3, ever.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by vgamer
    The only reason they did this was because they would not sell the expansion at all. There was great hatred towards the AH. At least, now they can sell you the expansion, then reimplement the RL AH. They will be doubledipping, mark my words.

There was hatred from the vocal minority but with D3 selling 12 million copies on the PC even with the AH it would still sell millions of expansions.  

I'd love to see the AH replaced with a GW1 style open city where 50 or so players are in the same place opening up the opportunity to trade in person.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by vgamer

I don't think so. They are using the same maneuver they did with WoW, "listen to the mob". When lots of people are at you front door with forks and torches, with pissed off faces and yelling they want to buy shit, your best move is to bring the shitbox with a happy smile in your face and give it to them. You will earn lots of money and content your fans. If the game becomes shit over the time is not your problem, you are a shit seller, not an artist. However, I do think they did some fatal mistakes at the design, launch and along the game's life (they are correcting them little by little)

But right now there are other good games, with a lot more of "diablo 2 feeling" than Diablo 3 (ie, Path of Exile) Now that they don't have the RMAH, the illusion of making you rich by selling Diablo 3 items vanishes, and only remains the gameplay

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Excellent move. Finally moving back on track to what aRPGs are supposed to be.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    March 18, 2014 a date i'll put on my calendar, the day i'll try that game again.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I hope that it was an overwhelming negative response from the general gaming public that caused Blizzard to change their mind.

A very positive step that I can respect.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Good!

Now, wake me up when they make game actually FUN and more like Diablo we knew.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by vgamer The only reason they did this was because they would not sell the expansion at all. There was great hatred towards the AH. At least, now they can sell you the expansion, then reimplement the RL AH. They will be doubledipping, mark my words.
    There was hatred from the vocal minority but with D3 selling 12 million copies on the PC even with the AH it would still sell millions of expansions.  

I'd love to see the AH replaced with a GW1 style open city where 50 or so players are in the same place opening up the opportunity to trade in person.

Now that would be really cool.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WhynoRMAHWhynoRMAH Member Posts: 7
    Nooooooo!
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

You can agree or disagree with my thought's,it's all good.I can't help but think that PoE may have had some influence here.I like PoE and many here know that,this isn't too toot the games horn.

I just think that PoE has shown you can have a good/great game without an ah.People trade face to face like the old days.It may seem dated to many,but it work's.

It should be about playing the game and earning things in game.Whether through play or in game trade.An ah isn't needed.

Just my 2 coppers.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

The irony is the people arguing that you can play without the use of the AH and it won't affect your gameplay are in disagreement now with the current developers.

Hence the devs saying " But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot." as quoted in the OP.

There are caveats made about the loot and RNG system to account for the presence of the AH, and that's an aspect that's getting addressed alongside the closing of the AH with the loot 2.0 system. Rebalancing the type of gear as well as the frequency of it so that it accounts for a better pace of receiving content via personal play rather than relying on loot being a massive communal thing.

With those elements both being addressed, even those that have steered clear of the AH are going to see a change in how they receive loot and the way they are going to be able to consequently gear themselves out. There will still be trading via forums and chat, but the individual character won't have as long a time to turnover meaningful loot and won't have any overhead sense of external measures inhibiting their play.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Slappy1

You can agree or disagree with my thought's,it's all good.I can't help but think that PoE may have had some influence here.I like PoE and many here know that,this isn't too toot the games horn.

I just think that PoE has shown you can have a good/great game without an ah.People trade face to face like the old days.It may seem dated to many,but it work's.

It should be about playing the game and earning things in game.Whether through play or in game trade.An ah isn't needed.

Just my 2 coppers.

Well, I admit that face to face trading had some positive points. Not having the constante reference of the item's market value, you had the opportunity to scam or being scammed (depending on your trading skills)

The drawback, however, is having to enter, exit, enter and exit public games to announce your items, over and over. I can't stand to lose all the afternoon doing that and possibly not having the items I want. If there were a massive trade hub (like Jita in EVE, although Jita uses a totally different trading system, more similar to an auction house), I could consider enjoying it.

Let's see how the game runs after removing the auction house. However, just adding a new class (that I could even enjoy or not) and one new map, is not sufficient for me to buy back the expansión. If I want to see new things, I'll go back to Path of Exile again.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by AtrusV
    Originally posted by Slappy1

Just my 2 coppers.

Well, I admit that face to face trading had some positive points. Not having the constante reference of the item's market value, you had the opportunity to scam or being scammed (depending on your trading skills)

The drawback, however, is having to enter, exit, enter and exit public games to announce your items, over and over. I can't stand to lose all the afternoon doing that and possibly not having the items I want. If there were a massive trade hub (like Jita in EVE, although Jita uses a totally different trading system, more similar to an auction house), I could consider enjoying it.

Let's see how the game runs after removing the auction house. However, just adding a new class (that I could even enjoy or not) and one new map, is not sufficient for me to buy back the expansión. If I want to see new things, I'll go back to Path of Exile again.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.Even though I think PoE may have played a part in the decision.I believe that it was mostly the exploits with the ah that doomed it.The exploits allowed some players to access a lot of gold and then turn around and sell the gold for real $$.

Even though Blizz said they corrected the exploits,you know darn well that was PR and that damage was done.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Well you still have a chat system that spans across more than a single game, which means trade chat can be done from just about anywhere without having to game hop, since the chat server exists independent from the game servers.

My concern on that end will be how many more people will start flooding chat with loot links. Hopefully with rebalanced loot a lot of clutter will be culled and only the more exceptional gear will be left.

An actual trade hub would be pretty nifty too. Just disable attacks and effects so people can't as easily crash the hub and let them all join up, hang out, and swap loot.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The lash back was obviously worse than they anticipated and the small profit margin it probably garnered wasn't worth it, hence the change.  That they would use the excuse that it's a loot based game, as if they forgot that it could be applied in a non-monetized fashion is ludicrous.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I hope this sets a huge example for any other video game and how including a real money auction house affects the integrity of the game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Well looks like ill finialy be able to play it again on my pc in March.  good job blizzard
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I made over £300 on the AH in the early days without even trying. I'm not sorry it was there in the first place.. but I'm glad it's getting removed. The console version plays much better.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    omg. nothing more this help the game expirience alot nothing more xd i think my feelings about blizzard are back!
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Sweetness!
  • KasreynKasreyn Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Will be interesting to see what prices do in the next few months. What good is 890 Bil gold with no where to spend it.

A fight where I might win or loose? That's PvP. Ganked or being ganked is not PvP.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by logicbomb82
    I loved the idea of auction house for RL money but it always ends up with not being what I expected.

Its impossible to have turned out any other way.   RMT does not belong in games period, and the RM Auction House just took it to a whole different level of stupid.