Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$19 Million Achieved! Only one million more for FPS ground gameplay

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Congrats again!  Only one million more (20M) until we get the FPS ground-based planetary combat (see bottom of post)

$19 Million Unlocks Achieved: 

• Know your foe with a Jane’s Fighting Ships style manual free in PDF form to all pledgers.
  • Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.
  • RSI Museum will air monthly, with a new game featured each time!

COMING UP NEXT:

20M unlock is described as: 
  • First person combat on select lawless planets. Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms… take the fight to the ground!
This also means, we are approaching the time where CIG may be changing the backing program as they stated in the past.  Some of the options currently available may not be around much longer. $20M was the number they needed to completely crowdfund the game's launch development.  It has been stated a few times that the backing plans will be changing, but we have no information on what that means yet.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    perhaps, by the time this game actually comes out, they will have crowd funded so much muney they will be able to pay me to play it....
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    perhaps, by the time this game actually comes out, they will have crowd funded so much muney they will be able to pay me to play it....

It's a fairly small sum for a modern AAA MMO, but they don't have investors and corporate suits breathing down their necks, which is good for all of us unless we want WoW in space....  They already gave the hanger module to us alpha backers, and the dogfighting module is due out around December.  They've already delivered more results than any other game I have backed in the past two years.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• IrachtusIrachtus Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Yup can't wait till december game looks already great even with the bugs but o well the hangar module is pre-pre-pre alpha.
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

It's a fairly small sum for a modern AAA MMO, but they don't have investors and corporate suits breathing down their necks, which is good for all of us unless we want WoW in space....  They already gave the hanger module to us alpha backers, and the dogfighting module is due out around December.  They've already delivered more results than any other game I have backed in the past two years.

Good thing, then, that's it's NOT an MMO and IS instead an online Space Sim. 20 Million dollars is more than sufficient to make a space sim with multiplayer aspects.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Good thing, then, that's it's NOT an MMO and IS instead an online Space Sim. 20 Million dollars is more than sufficient to make a space sim with multiplayer aspects.

It IS an MMO.  They choose not to call it that because of the images that brings up, but it really is.  You should do some reading on it before you post.

It IS an MMO.  They choose not to call it that because of the images that brings up, but it really is.  You should do some reading on it before you post.

You should ask question before you assume. I'm a Golden Ticket Holder and pretty sure I've been following this game longer than you. I know full well what this game is. You should stop letting your heart override your mind. The developer of the game gets to label the game type. Not You or me. Chris has stated it's an Online Space Sim.

So be it.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

You should ask question before you assume. I'm a Golden Ticket Holder and pretty sure I've been following this game longer than you. I know full well what this game is. You should stop letting your heart override your mind. The developer of the game gets to label the game type. Not You or me. Chris has stated it's an Online Space Sim.

So be it.

In their own FAQ it says it's an MMO, and says it's not an MMO on two different questions. Chris talks about it in terms of both MMO and non-MMO and this brings a lot of confusion.  I've watched all the videos, interviews, etc., since day 1, watch Wingman's Hanger weekly,etc.  The game is an open ended, player driven economy online game.  It has a single player campaign, and an "open world" game. It also has private server capability.  You can decide not to call it an MMO if you want, but it's basically a space sim sandbox MMO.  

I won't argue that it's not like any other MMOs out there, but it's also not a coop server, or lobby game, or small scale combat game like a typical FPS shooter. It's kind of its own animal but for definitions that matter, it's still an MMO for lack of any better thing to compare it to.

Here is one person's description that I agree with:  

"It will be a Massive Multiplayer Online Game. They aren't calling it an MMO because that term has become synonymous with MMORPG which is defined by leveling, fantasy, ect. CIG is trying to distance Star Citizen from the common man's conception of "MMO" by saying It's not an MMO (It is, it's just an MMO-Space Sim and not an MMO-RPG)."

Here's an interesting discussion on the boards:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/14268/star-citizen-mmo-or-not-clear-answer-please

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Meh... What the hell

Only $999,860.00 to go

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

So be it.

"... It's kind of its own animal ..."

We can agree on this. While I much prefer sandbox over themepark I wouldn't go so far as to call it a sandbox. A sandbox for me has to have many more tools and features that SC won't ever have. It does have some sandbox features, but not enough in my estimate to be labeled a full sandbox. Certainly not a sandbox MMORPG.

Either way it's looking to be a good, fun space sim with lots of things to do and ways to play. I look forward to the combat sim later this year.

Chavez y Chavez

• IrachtusIrachtus Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by laserit

Meh... What the hell

Only $999,860.00 to go

heh lol

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    this game will have made 100million before its launched ;)
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by fardreamer
    this game will have made 100million before its launched ;)

It will be very interesting to see what will come out of it in the end. I really want to see some great games be successfully made, ones that the big corporate publisher's feel are too niche.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Irachtus
    Originally posted by laserit

Meh... What the hell

Only $999,860.00 to go

heh lol

They've been pulling in about a million dollars per week for a while now....  Though it has slowed down a little.  May take them a couple weeks to get this last million.  ;)

So be it.

"... It's kind of its own animal ..."

We can agree on this. While I much prefer sandbox over themepark I wouldn't go so far as to call it a sandbox. A sandbox for me has to have many more tools and features that SC won't ever have. It does have some sandbox features, but not enough in my estimate to be labeled a full sandbox. Certainly not a sandbox MMORPG.

Either way it's looking to be a good, fun space sim with lots of things to do and ways to play. I look forward to the combat sim later this year.

Agreed.  Apologies if I made it sound like I thought it was a standard MMO like what passes for one today.  It certainly is not. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I wonder if they really thought about the stretch goals they were attaching to the dollar amounts they advertised. I mean, if they never really expected to get twenty million dollars, it wouldn't really matter what they through out there for the twenty million dollar level, not to them.

So now all these stretch goals are going to be expected. How long will it take for them to actually write all this stuff?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Indeed, but no need to sell people on this game, we got a million in the community already , more then enough players. It is awesome that we are almost too 20 mil now, but to be honest this latest stretch goal to me isn't a big deal being we where already going to have boarding party actions and the like. The difference here is now it's on something bigger then a carrier? Can't say I am too excited for the idea to be honest.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by chaintm
    Originally posted by MindTrigger Originally posted by Khalathwyr Originally posted by MindTrigger Originally posted by Jakdstripper perhaps, by the time this game actually comes out, they will have crowd funded so much muney they will be able to pay me to play it....
    Indeed, but no need to sell people on this game, we got a million in the community already , more then enough players. It is awesome that we are almost too 20 mil now, but to be honest this latest stretch goal to me isn't a big deal being we where already going to have boarding party actions and the like. The difference here is now it's on something bigger then a carrier? Can't say I am too excited for the idea to be honest.

Well I like the FPS part a lot. So it will feel much more like a "real" 'vers where you can fly around and get of your ship and go hunting by foot.

And the 21 Million $ goal is just way beyond cool!

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I wonder if they really thought about the stretch goals they were attaching to the dollar amounts they advertised. I mean, if they never really expected to get twenty million dollars, it wouldn't really matter what they through out there for the twenty million dollar level, not to them.

So now all these stretch goals are going to be expected. How long will it take for them to actually write all this stuff?

If you read the letter from Chris Roberts he explains that these stretch goals were all planned well in advance. They wanted them in the game. They had plans for them to be in the game. The only question was, would they be able to afford putting them in the game.

They also have stretch goals set out to 23 million. Because, as Chris explained, due to processing fees and Kickstarter costs, they won't actually hit their net goal of 20 million in development money until they gross 23 million in donations. Personally, I hope they have more stretch goals (I'm sure they do) for past 23 million.  Because, as more gamers become aware of this game, more people are going to want to buy their ships early and start dogfighting. If the December dogfighting module release goes well, expect a big influx of cash in the new year.

One caveat to newcomers though, this isn't going to be WoW in Space. Or, any other mainstream MMO for that matter. Chris has repeatedly stated that this game is for the hardcore space sim fan and he's never waivered off that line. I mean no offense to casual MMOers, if that's your gaming preference, that's fine. Just this game probably won't be for you. Who knows though? Try it with an open mind and you may find something you like after all.

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    So.... Are we all gonna quit are jobs when this launches ?
  • ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Makidian

I'm cautiously optimistic. I've been burned too many times by games recently. Partly, it was my fault I'll grant you. But, I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm measured until I get my hands on it. I do like that it's being made by a hardcore space sim gamer for that very niche and the mainstream philosophy of big corporations haven't touched this.

Either way, I can't afford to quit and I kind of like what I do. Besides, it pays well. I am kind of stoked about the 21 million dollar stretch goal though. Salvager? You mean I get to play out my wish to be a Firefly type captain? Shiny.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    is this still up on KS?  I wouldn't mind helping it along :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    is this still up on KS?  I wouldn't mind helping it along :)

No, the kickstarter campaign has been finished a long time.  You can, however, still support the game on CIG's own pages, which is where the vast majority of those 19 million dollars have been collected.

Go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/. Read up on the game and then, if you wanna help out, go to the "Store" tab on top of the page and klick on the link saying "Pledge", and it'll take you to the page showing what packages you can pledge for and what's included in them.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Arndush
    Originally posted by lizardbones

If you read the letter from Chris Roberts he explains that these stretch goals were all planned well in advance. They wanted them in the game. They had plans for them to be in the game. The only question was, would they be able to afford putting them in the game.

They also have stretch goals set out to 23 million. Because, as Chris explained, due to processing fees and Kickstarter costs, they won't actually hit their net goal of 20 million in development money until they gross 23 million in donations. Personally, I hope they have more stretch goals (I'm sure they do) for past 23 million.  Because, as more gamers become aware of this game, more people are going to want to buy their ships early and start dogfighting. If the December dogfighting module release goes well, expect a big influx of cash in the new year.

One caveat to newcomers though, this isn't going to be WoW in Space. Or, any other mainstream MMO for that matter. Chris has repeatedly stated that this game is for the hardcore space sim fan and he's never waivered off that line. I mean no offense to casual MMOers, if that's your gaming preference, that's fine. Just this game probably won't be for you. Who knows though? Try it with an open mind and you may find something you like after all.

arndush,

I get where u are coming from, but as far as not "casual friendly" I would have to disagree. Robert's statement about hard core space sim compaires to his previous titles. There is nothing WoW about it is what his statement really was saying. While hardcore players (in definition meaning constantly playing every day) will  find a great game so will the casual players. To many atm think if your solo or casual you are fubar in this universe and you are not.

The reason is the game is skill based, sure your items and ships will help you no doubt, but if you have any sort of skill and are a casual player, you can still drop that hardcore player who you run pass and just have better flying skills or tactics. Will you as a solo casual player do boarding parties in the persistent universe? probably not, will you do so in your own server or in the solo campaign? You bet! This game is far from not friendly to "anyone" that loves space simulations.

Just wanted to point out this game is not just an MMO but much much more. People talk about the persistent perspective allot for that is where we will interact with each other, but there is allot more to this game then that. Not to mention many think that buying the ships before the game launches is the only way to get those ships, this of course is the furthest from the actual truth.

Anyone can buy into the game with 30 dollar base package and earn their way to say the constellation class ship in game. The differance is some minor perks and starting with that particular ship without having to wait. While it might be a slight advantage at start, the game doesn't have an "end game" to speak of. It's all about e-com and conquest, a never ending battle. So in the long run it won't matter.

Others have argued the insurance aspects, you can get that in game as well, so that idea is nill. The only true contention one could have is the talk about lifetime insurance for the kickstarter people. Yeah, nice perk but if it wasn't for them there would be no SC. So to me at least all KS people deserve that much.

Anyways, I look forward to the game and the new stretch goals , the game looks promising! ;)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by SteinarB
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    is this still up on KS?  I wouldn't mind helping it along :
    No, the kickstarter campaign has been finished a long time.  You can, however, still support the game on CIG's own pages, which is where the vast majority of those 19 million dollars have been collected.

Go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/. Read up on the game and then, if you wanna help out, go to the "Store" tab on top of the page and klick on the link saying "Pledge", and it'll take you to the page showing what packages you can pledge for and what's included in them.

Sweet thanks

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Makidian

I just saw this question asked on a "Wingman's Hangar ep39"

(YOUTUBE LINK)  time is 19:21 of the video if the time sync doesn't work

It seems the casual player has not been forgotten in SC.  They actually say it is a big thing for Chris Roberts.

~Hairysun