Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm Online and Why I left

daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

There's a lot that goes into why I left, and I'd like to start by saying this -  Wurm Online is fun for the first couple of months.  The exploration, the figuring things out and developing new and improved tools is quite fun.   The best of times was when I first started a city with a bunch of buddies on Epic server, and we battled pvp and we battled pve to try to survive.  At one point we had fourteen crocodiles in our city and we couldn't leave, our fight skill wasn't high enough.  So we slowly built fences to where we needed to go.   

For that first three to six months this is a MUST play.  You will have a lot of fun and enjoy the experience.  Past that mark?  You will grow bored and tired.

Here are the reasons why:

1.  Everything takes time.  Lots of time.  Lots of menu's.  Lots of clicking.  Over time you will grow bored of these tasks, or finally break down and start macro'ing.  I never macro'd  and I ended up quitting.  The most difficult thing for me was right after multi-story houses were released.  I was running a city with quite a few people (30+) and everyone immediately started work on multi-story houses.  Little did we know how much of grind it was to build a house with floors, walls, and ceiling.   Everyone dreamed big, and by the time most people got half way through their house half my city's population left.  Even people who had played for months.  The experience of grinding for those resources got to them.  They realized how much time, and effort they put into just building a house...  and realized there was a lot more fun to be had elsewhere.  This patch i was excited for, but it turned out to be the doom of my entire city.  I left shortly after many of my friends left after leading a city for 12 months.

2. No actual content once you reach end game.  There is no PVE content left for end game.  All the dragons have been killed, and they are the only thing worth killing.  So unless you have three or more hours to spare to go raiding there is no pve content to be had.  There's really no need to go hunting for the basics once you reach end game you have enough stockpile to last you ages.

3. PVP.  My experience with PVP was that there was rarely fair battles.  Always someone raiding you, and you barely have anyone on so you run and try to get people, but by the time you get people they realize you've got people to your cause and they run away.  This is my entire experience with PVP.  It was fun for those rare occasions when people stood there ground and fought to the death, and I never did play on elevation which I might go and try some day.  Raiding was an absolute blast though, but not for the PVP.  Mainly for the looting!!   

4. Body stats take forever to grind.  The regular skills even with the epic bonus still take awhile, but body stats will take ages.  Yes you don't need them to PVP.  However, if you want to be a god amongst players having 10 more in a body stat makes a huge difference.  Plus having glimmersteel is a nice bonus as well and you had to have an old account to acquire these goods.  Same with dragon parts.

5. Griefing.  I found that the game gave people too many ways to grief.  I had one particularly bad experience with griefers who would create multiple free accounts and use their main accounts to steal your stuff at night with catapults and then would put it on the free accounts and log off (thus you can never find that person and kill them and take it back).    There was far too much griefing.    I also found that it was easy to destroy someones things (I.E. kill their animals, break a section of their house) and steal their things vs. the amount of time it took to get those things.  It was very unbalanced this way.  It could take you months to get three or four trait horses, but someone could easily break down a fence and kill them in the middle of night if they were wanting to grief.

6.  Your friends leaving.  The endless, tiring recruiting.  This game keeps about 10% of it's new players.  Some just don't know how to make goals for themselves, others find the interface and the look unappealing, and others are spies and just want to grief you.  You will spend months and months and months recruiting people, getting 20 people to join a month but only keeping two in the long run and inevitably they will quit as well.  It's a very tiring experience being a town leader, and all the amount of time you invest in recruiting goes to waste when you see them leave.  I'd recommend joining a town and not trying to run one.  It's not a very fun experience.  With a town you have something to lose, and trust me people will try to make you lose it.  Even on the PVE servers.

7.  No Animal Lore like in Ultima Online.  I felt this game's main content was it's animals and the whole animal taming aspect.  Yet you never got to personalize your pets.  You never got to take them hunting and make them stronger, and really grow old with an animal.    I know this is a weird complaint, but to me if I could see the animals stats even go up a little, that would have created endless content for me ^^  Epic Pig here I come!

8.  Been there, done that feeling.  Eventually you get to the point where you've got the best gear and the best items just like in every other mmo, and what do you do from there?  You try to decorate, and make the place look cool.  Which is great.  But...  then you realize it takes 2000 logs to make a house, and 1000 slate.  Or whatever... and you go... well I could be playing League of Legends, or Eve Online, and doing something more productive... lol

All the new updates they keep releasing haven't actually added any new gameplay content.  They've added visual things only.  Which is very sad for me as I do have a soft place in my heart for Wurm.

Comments

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69

+1 good review of the game and a better understanding of what eventually happens to most people. I played for 6+ years and I was done with it because of the grind and the off hour raids, those were very irritating that the other kingdoms only raided when no one or very few were online and it just seemed like easy mode to do it myself. The damage they did also took hours to repair when it only took them minutes to destroy, when the landbridge to my village on wild/chaos was hit it took them 45 minutes to do enough damage that required 3-4 people to repair in 8 hours time. Collecting enough mats for repairs took way to long versus the time required to destroy.

The game becomes a massive grind and a second job over time. You login and tend to farms and animals alone because most people have quit and you're trying to keep up or cutting back on what you have to tend to each time you log in to the game. I know at one point I was logging in to the game to spend 2-3 hours just tending to crops and animals, you really have to take a hard look at the game when you reach that point. Why am I doing this? What else could I do with that 3 hours after school/work? Even when you cut back on stuff you have to tend to, what else do you have to do? Collect more mats for crafting and for what? The skill? To sell? To trade? At some point you don't need these things or you have enough skill in everything to make anything you could trade for, why do I need to sell my stuff I craft grind when I can drain a personal trader on deed for upkeep and premium play time, plus a few extra silver to bank.

I have 3 sets of drake, 2 sets of scale, a BoK, and much much more. I honestly was finished with the game around the same time as you, the first year I had taken a break from it and this was just after beta in to gold 1. It's a nice game to play to start off with but it becomes a massive grind over time and managing village members becomes a chore and a headache. If you are on a pvp server expect to beat your head against a wall trying to sniff out enemy kingdom spies that are only getting in town to get access and make it easy for their friends to raid you. The community back during beta and gold 1 was great but quickly turned sour, a new player will have a hard time making in with the current community. If you post anything against the game or even suggest changes that are really needed, be prepared to be jumped by the fanboys of the forum that believe nothing should change and all is well.

The game just had a price increase recently as well which does factor in to a lot of peoples decisions as to if the game is really worth the extra cost, as the OP mentioned, nothing has really changed game play wise or bug fixes, mostly just new models or textures that IMO don't really fit the look of the game to me and is their way of turning it more WoW esque. Farming nerf and others I have read about, but no real bug fixes going in or new systems.

Great game to pick up for a few months but quickly becomes a massive grind and long term waste of time, why am I doing this and this isn't fun anymore.

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

I feel what this game sourly needs is a server that wipes often, and the requirements are lowered on building, skill grind is lowered, etc...  so that you can play this game casually.  I really hated everything you said above.  The constant logging in to tend farms after everyone quit was gruesome.  I remember having like 20 horses to tend to and they were all really nice horses and I'm just like "ugh", why. 

Then the draining of the vendor is tedious as well since you have to make the goods to drain the vendor...

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Ah... kindred spirits.

Like nkitz, I am a multi-year veteran of Wurm, dating back to the initial launch of Jenn-Kellon and the heyday of the GV. As I've shared several of my experiences with the game in other MMORPG.com posts, I'll refrain from reminiscing anew; frankly, it makes me rather depressed, as I simultaneously yearn to play again, yet know the self-same experiences that drew me to Wurm will never reoccur. The people I played with are gone, the towns we built are in ruin, our items have decayed, were stolen or simply wiped with updates; pair that with the knowledge of why we quit (the self-same justifications each of you have cited, primarily the grind of battling decay, both in terms of the community and in-game items) and the prospect loses any semblance of appeal.

Since leaving Wurm, I've consistently sought after something like it, similar but not exact. Xyson held my attention for a few weeks, but ultimately failed to match Wurm in terms of scope; Dawntide dropped into utter obscurity scarcely a week after I'd acquired my account; Haven and Hearth, which was boasted of as "like Wurm, from an isometric perspective" was really more akin to a single-player Dwarf Fortress and the less I say of Salem, the better; Terraria was quite amusing, but nowhere near as complex and I missed the third-dimension; Minecraft, which I adopted in beta and continue playing to this day, even with mod-packs such as Hexxit and FTB fails to meet my expectations or desires...

...frankly, I wish Rolf would have heeded the community years ago and released the multiplayer-SDK/package for Wurm, as Notch did with Minecraft. There were a few projects, one I even helped, that attempted to replicate the servers such that private ones could be created, yet ultimately they failed. I imagine Wurm would have been a great deal more popular had its core players been able to host their own worlds. I, for one, would likely still be puttering about in my private realm, building new wildlife preserves, channeling rivers and attempting to fashion the perfect skybridge.

The adventure and moments of grandeur, after a while those fade away and you yearn to get that experience back. I did the same, terraria and others but I have yet to find a game that can give me that old experience back. I know that going back to wurm will just lead to the same disappointment that I got from it when I called it quits, I miss certain aspects wurm had to offer, just not enough to put myself through the whole gambit again. Xsyon I still play and gradually after each update I feel it's slowly getting there and I still like exploring the world.

I'm hoping this game whether it is single or co-op will turn out great http://survivetheforest.com/

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361
    I do recommend going back if they ever open up a new server, you can reclaim that feeling again very easily with a new server.  I don't think this game was meant to have permanent servers imo
  • SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Thanks for the link, mate, I'd not seen that one before... must have missed the Steam Greenlight post, as well.

Admittedly, it appears fascinating, particularly if the developers can deliver on the survival aspects, though perhaps a shade too action/adventure for my taste (a la the likes of Amnesia: Dark Descent and Dear Esther, judging strictly from the trailer); furthermore, I didn't find anything regarding terrain deformation. It just wouldn't feel quite right if I couldn't open up a mineshaft and dig my way down to locate some precious minerals. I was a dedicated miner in Wurm for years and, what can I say, old habits die hard, aye?

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

The OP is dead on with his review of Wurm Online.   I know I left when it started feeling like work.   When I had to log in every day to tend to the fields, or the animals, and maintain the repairs on the walls.   It was just annoying, to log into a game to put in 4 hours of work so I can go play, so I left.   I gave Wurm Online about 6 months and it was before all the pretty graphics updates, but I see the game hasnt changed.   

So I went to Starquest Online, which can be a grind also but after Wurm Online it is nothing.

So much crap, so little quality.

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162

The only reason why some players, including yourselves have gotten burnt out is because you let yourselves get burnt out. You do not and should not continue to grind grind grind when you are started to feel burnt, that's the time you should jump on a boat and travel the many servers you can travel to and check out the sights and scenaries. 

Yes the OP is right about a few things, but mainly the OP post is based on his game play and how he went about it. Yes it sucks when your villagers stop playing, but your village and villagers shouldnt be the only thing keeping you playing. I often times like to explore and bash into places as its an exciting way to break up the same old clicking for grinding.

I also feel people get bored because they play the game wrong. Let me explain....

Understandably there are players who do not want to build in a PVP server due to fear of losing their things and their village. But the beauty of Wurm when it does allow, like it does right now is the option to be able to travel through servers... 4 Freedom servers currently and 1 attached PVP server. It makes it fun to build up a bunch of thigns you might need to bring with you, perhaps a few sets of armor, perhaps some no locate rings and so on... Come over to chaos with your group, tunnel into a little cave and build yourself a hide out. Have enough stuff with you to be able to die a dozen or so times just incase, and just venture out and have some fun in land never explored. At one time yes chaos/wild was just a place for if you were either with MR or JK but that is no more.... Today BL is back and then theres also the random Freedomers who have started to build a little something for the specific reason of showing new players to the server that there is a place for them to at least be a part of a new community and help each other and most importantly keep new players playing. ( My group and I have recently built up a place to call home for all freedomers.)

So yes, although i do agree there is grinding to be done, there is at times a sense of feeling of work, But these feelings are only if you make them feel that way. If you feel like its just work, then perhaps what you are doing has no greater meaning to it, perhaps the end picture of what you are working on is just because and not for something bigger... My group and I have been building a fairly decent sized village in which we hope to make one day into a community of new players all helping one anohter, farming, breeding and so on. Yes it is a lot of work, which started with just 3 of us doing all the heavy work load, 1 person alone building all the stone houses, so far we have probably 30 to 50k bricks invested into what we have worked on. Its no simple task, but as we started to build more and more new players joined up with us, and since we had a vision and we shared it with new players that has made them stick with the game. Our retention rate is by far higher then 10% of new players. probably more like 80% to be honest.

Bottom line is, all I am saying is rather then give up and just quitting, why not look into what else Wurm has to offer. Chaos/Wild is not that scary, and if anyone has been paying attention lately there has been lots of fighting on chaos. Which brings me to one other thing about playing "wrong" (I say it like that because i dont mean it in a way that people should or shouldnt be playing how they want, just ...) Rather then the normal style i have seen many play for years which is very strict like having 1 suit or armor 1 set of tools and if they die they get bummed out because they have to remake it all... The game while playing with a group of people could be fun and slightly a production line which would in turn make it where players do not have to do the entire process themselves. They would be helped along the way and as the items reach them all they have to do is lets say imp the item 20ql vs the full 10 - 80 ql, if you get what i mean.

Sorry for my rant, I just wanted to show there are always other options players can choose if they so wanted to. Vs just quitting and giving up and making everything feel like work. The most important thing is being able to enjoy play time and having a small community to do it with and have some laughs with makes the game much more interesting.

Originally posted by Maurizio

The only reason why some players, including yourselves have gotten burnt out is because you let yourselves get burnt out. You do not and should not continue to grind grind grind when you are started to feel burnt, that's the time you should jump on a boat and travel the many servers you can travel to and check out the sights and scenaries. 

Yes the OP is right about a few things, but mainly the OP post is based on his game play and how he went about it. Yes it sucks when your villagers stop playing, but your village and villagers shouldnt be the only thing keeping you playing. I often times like to explore and bash into places as its an exciting way to break up the same old clicking for grinding.

I also feel people get bored because they play the game wrong. Let me explain....

Understandably there are players who do not want to build in a PVP server due to fear of losing their things and their village. But the beauty of Wurm when it does allow, like it does right now is the option to be able to travel through servers... 4 Freedom servers currently and 1 attached PVP server. It makes it fun to build up a bunch of thigns you might need to bring with you, perhaps a few sets of armor, perhaps some no locate rings and so on... Come over to chaos with your group, tunnel into a little cave and build yourself a hide out. Have enough stuff with you to be able to die a dozen or so times just incase, and just venture out and have some fun in land never explored. At one time yes chaos/wild was just a place for if you were either with MR or JK but that is no more.... Today BL is back and then theres also the random Freedomers who have started to build a little something for the specific reason of showing new players to the server that there is a place for them to at least be a part of a new community and help each other and most importantly keep new players playing. ( My group and I have recently built up a place to call home for all freedomers.)

So yes, although i do agree there is grinding to be done, there is at times a sense of feeling of work, But these feelings are only if you make them feel that way. If you feel like its just work, then perhaps what you are doing has no greater meaning to it, perhaps the end picture of what you are working on is just because and not for something bigger... My group and I have been building a fairly decent sized village in which we hope to make one day into a community of new players all helping one anohter, farming, breeding and so on. Yes it is a lot of work, which started with just 3 of us doing all the heavy work load, 1 person alone building all the stone houses, so far we have probably 30 to 50k bricks invested into what we have worked on. Its no simple task, but as we started to build more and more new players joined up with us, and since we had a vision and we shared it with new players that has made them stick with the game. Our retention rate is by far higher then 10% of new players. probably more like 80% to be honest.

Bottom line is, all I am saying is rather then give up and just quitting, why not look into what else Wurm has to offer. Chaos/Wild is not that scary, and if anyone has been paying attention lately there has been lots of fighting on chaos. Which brings me to one other thing about playing "wrong" (I say it like that because i dont mean it in a way that people should or shouldnt be playing how they want, just ...) Rather then the normal style i have seen many play for years which is very strict like having 1 suit or armor 1 set of tools and if they die they get bummed out because they have to remake it all... The game while playing with a group of people could be fun and slightly a production line which would in turn make it where players do not have to do the entire process themselves. They would be helped along the way and as the items reach them all they have to do is lets say imp the item 20ql vs the full 10 - 80 ql, if you get what i mean.

Sorry for my rant, I just wanted to show there are always other options players can choose if they so wanted to. Vs just quitting and giving up and making everything feel like work. The most important thing is being able to enjoy play time and having a small community to do it with and have some laughs with makes the game much more interesting.

In 6 years of playing the game, no new server is going to make up for the massive grind that is Wurm Online. I can see a new place and in a few minutes be "ok, that was cool but what else is there?" a tree is a tree and a cliff is a cliff. It offers nothing new to me if I have to travel the servers and see new areas just to keep myself in a game that has long since lost whatever playability it once had. The grind is the reason most people quit and pile on massive timers to accomplish anything not including just the ungodly amount of materials somethings require and those materials require even more materials to make as well. That is what is wrong with the game.

You're telling a former sound developer of the game and a 6+ year player to go explore to get excited about the game when the issues everyone of us posted are things Rolf really needs to look at and change in the game. He won't though because this is the same stuff we have been telling him about for years but Fanboys like yourself will always keep him from having ten of thousands of players and only a thousand at best online. Rolf is perfectly happy leaving it the way it is though and just making what he can off the game.

I’ve worked on two games like this. The first one I made with Rolf, and it was called Wurm Online, and it’s slow and grindy, but amazing. Notch wrote that on tumblr and hit the nail on the head. It's amazing at first but quickly is killed off by the slow and grindy crap you must do to accomplish the most basic and simplest task. Wurm was better off in beta when Notch was on the team and into gold 1 because they bounced ideas off each other, who knows what Wurm could of been if Notch and Rolf could of resolved the issues they had together and if Rolf could of backed off his "I own the game attitude" when Notch was giving input. Notch never worked on the server code because Rolf doesn't trust anyone, he did the client and when his input wasn't being listened to or no longer required he left. Best decision he made quite honestly and Rolf has only his self to kick in the ass for it.

Just don't come in to a thread and tell us to explore, that's laughable. Hey, I'm going sailing because the game is grindy and taking forever to build anything, so I must travel and sail the servers in search of pixels to look at. Yep that solves everything wrong with the game in a heart beat. image

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Maurizio

Looking at your sig, I can tell we played the same game Roma Victor.   And I cant tell you I enjoyed that game with all of its flaws far more than I do Wurm Online.    Not because it was a grind, the grind wasn't near as bad as Wurm.   Wurm if I want to make a hammer I have to grind for what seems like hours, and is actually HOURS to make a hammer.    Sure I you do a lot of sitting around waiting in Roma Victor waiting for the stuff to finish "cooking" but not like Wurm.   Where you do the same tasks over and over and over, without setting up a macro to do it for you because you cant be bothered to sit in front of you the computer for hours if not days just to have skill enough to make something you need, to make something else.

So much crap, so little quality.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Originally posted by daveospice
    I do recommend going back if they ever open up a new server, you can reclaim that feeling again very easily with a new server.  I don't think this game was meant to have permanent servers imo

Before gold servers barely stayed up more than a year.  So it is true that it was never tested to that point.

In a sense it was also A LOT more forgiving as well(no OMGWTF spiders), animals that could swim swam slower than you, Even a magic compass(had no matter what by looking at feet), no priest hood, merchants W/ infinate silver(but more severe dimishing returns), no "encouraged" PvP/RvR(if people were fighting it was for a 'real' reason).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Ok so you played for 6 years and you are trying to tell me now you are complaining about it? Come on man, if you wanna complain because of the price increase do so, if you wanna complain about slow fixes and additions do so.

I am not for the price increase, in fact i gave Rolf a lot of shit about it, but at the same time i do know what Wurm has vs the million other games I've played. Wurms content is by far more then other "Sandbox" games. And you really wanna compare wurm with a crappy game like mindcraft? LOL, makes me laugh. Notch just went after the easy street, just make a mindless game which has the worst graphics, which should even be considered graphics because its not. Yes Wurm does target a select group, its the group that used to once love to play games like Ultima, and also those same type of people that played Roma Victor, small player bases yes but player bases that want this type of world. Granted things can be changed to help the "grind" which many have been in the past. Tool belts has taken out some extra clicks and so on. 

Have you played on chaos? My guess is you might have tried it and then decided you were going to just stick with PVE land, well that in my opinion is what would drive players away in the long run, Wurm was never meant to be played for just PVE, Wurm was build with open world sandbox and pvp. The game is by far more fun when you have something to lose, when you have to build something that will withstand attacks from multiple sides, where what you build is your castle, your keep, your fort.

And sorry i do not remember your name while i am writing this, but the guy that was talking about RV, yes i did come from RV, i was an Alpha tester. I loved the concept of games like these since i played beta of UO. Game developers have killed the sandbox industry for a long time and as of recent some have been coming back around into making games a bit more sandbox which is nice, but the fact remains that most have just went with the easy street .  I stand behind Rolf, although i don't agree with everything, i still stand behind a game like Wurm for staying true to its game play. And I also do not agree with some of the things you said about RV being better then Wurm... RV did have some interesting things and concepts and perhaps Wurm could do a mixture of implements that could use a bit of RV's system for crafting while still keeping some things in place such as Improving.

Anyway, to those of you reading this, to those of you who play or possibly wish to play, all i have to say is 1 thing. Don't get burnt out doing the same thing over and over, there's plenty of content and things to do in game, travel is one of the many things i enjoy doing and not just because im tired of grinding, but mainly just because i like the travel and the hunt and the possibility that i might be hunted or hunt down an enemy in my travels. But to play the game and only do one thing is just dumb, play and do many things, try new skills even if your skill is low in it. And most importantly don't try to play Wurm alone, find a group/community/town right away as the game experience is by far better that way.

I played on wild for about 4 of those years. The game was even worse on the pvp servers because everyone did raids when the opposing kingdom was offline, sounds like a lot of fun right?

The game is just severely flawed in multiple areas and has been for a very long time, do these warrant not paying and playing? Yes. Offline raids, damage done is massive, repairing said damage takes more time than it took to destroy, and the list goes on... Those 90ql walls may take more hits but try repairing or rebuilding that after its been done and then that takes us back to the ungodly amount of time required to gather mats over a certain ql just to put out the ql of walls you require or want. It's just a cluster ****.

• IronHackIronHack Member Posts: 3

I personally think if wurm would give the world setup like how eve has(pve in the middle, PvP around it) would be a little more appealing to other groups of players. Now Im not saying its the fix all to wurm but would cause players to play the game together more then they do now. About 60/70% of wurms players play on their own running their own deed or camp(undeeded settlement). A group of players can come together and build up their skills and knowledge before wondering out into the dog eat dog forest to test out what they have learned and try and claim unprotected land of their own.

Balance out weapons! Thats one real big thing wurm needs to do to draw a little more attention to the PvP servers. Right now its just horse back archery with 90+cast Frost bite/life transfer quickly kills any players. And then of course there really isnt anywhere for fresh skill characters to start out without worry of other players running by and pop them with a few arrows and camp them at where ever they spawned.

I was against the price increase because there was no VAT tax increase. If rolf wanted to increase the price to help pay for more staff members he should of said that then lie about it. And on top of that every 3months rolfs going on a month long vacation...  If he had the money for that maybe he should start hiring staff instead of blowing it the way he is.

But all in all. I love the idea of wurm was meant to be and the game play. Just needs a lot more put into fixing things rather then adding more bugged content.

Originally posted by nkitz

I played on wild for about 4 of those years. The game was even worse on the pvp servers because everyone did raids when the opposing kingdom was offline, sounds like a lot of fun right?

The game is just severely flawed in multiple areas and has been for a very long time, do these warrant not paying and playing? Yes. Offline raids, damage done is massive, repairing said damage takes more time than it took to destroy, and the list goes on... Those 90ql walls may take more hits but try repairing or rebuilding that after its been done and then that takes us back to the ungodly amount of time required to gather mats over a certain ql just to put out the ql of walls you require or want. It's just a cluster ****.

Sorry to sound like a duche, but from all that you have said tells me that you just built a regular type of settlement. A real war deed would take a raiding groups weeks to break into with no one online. My group has just recently started building a deed which is not even a war deed but we still took the right precautions to at least make it to where someone cant just walk in, and already we have gotten many compliments about the build and how well fortified it is.8

If you think so. I was the mayor of Tyre which was in the middle of the water on a man made island. It took a lot of work to hit our settlement but nothing is impossible.

What you mention is not a fix though, it doesn't fix anything that I said in what you quoted. Rolf just keeps adding stuff and not balancing or fixing these issues but pvp in wurm was never Rolfs bread and butter.

• ldrancerldrancer Member Posts: 2

this game has been designed around and for griefers since the game came out.  since beta.  the moderators use stupid rules to punish you mute you in game like, no cussing.  when youll be getting assaulted and hte whole kingdom will be trying to attack you.  youll try to call for help and use one cuss word like, a hole then you get muted for an hour in game. 

and pve is totally screwed up and some guy told me about pvp server, that they buffed the blacklighters spells and it was a 12 on 50 fight and the 50 the side he was on, lost.  he also, though complained about long arrows not going through steel armor.  i mean the most griefing way, i can think of, of fighting, sitting off on teh side and attacking, to where you cant walk to reach someone, he was complaining about a protection against that.  thats something they never put in this game was protection from any kind of cheap shots.  cheap shots from the beta, i remember hearing but wasnt sure aoub the blacklighters where overpowered, not for sure from what.  but i also, heard they played, all the time, and had high stats.  but i wondered about a fair fight, heard they where overpowered, i dont know.  but from what the guy told me, recently the blacklighters are overpowered cause they got a buff to their spells and they wont do nothing abou tit.  its like there trying to tear down the other sides stuff, theyve build.  the, guy named rolf wont do nothing about it.  it causes a problem he put it in then he wont do nothing about it.

i think i remember back in the beta, hearing, or talking to notch, who said, they woudlnt fix nothing and he was going on to other things.  i remembered wanting to talk to him more.  but then found out he was going to? mincraft?  i knew how much crap that was.  so i didnt bother with it.

oh yea i was talking about pve.  dont dare bring this up in game fanbody or griefers the game makers really like, as i said game is coded around and for griefers, will attack you.  it led to me being muted an hour, and forum topic locked by a chat moderator from the in game.  pve, has one pvp map on the section.  its like 7 islands or something.  this section is.  mostly pve, all islands are pve but 1 island is pvp. the problem with that is, the trade with pvp.  well the whole thigns just a problem.  if you think your going in to not deal with griefing and no pvping.  your wrong.  a pvp player from the pvp map, can come over to a pve island, by boat, make an area, it costs 1 silver to guard his one area or more.  then he can then farm unlimited not hindered by the pvp and craft and craft up items to then, ship off to the pvp land or ship back to his other buddies back over there.  for money.  so its a constant grind for the developers to see how much money they can get.  i made a topic, and was told that exactly they want to see how much money they can get.  that was it. that was their response to me saying this was a balance issue.  this games screwed.

the pvp land, i thought would be more fair, but from what ive heard its totally off balanced with unbalanced fighting.  with no fun, they run everyone off of pvp to pve where they grind you for your money.

it was like this in the beta.  the moderators are the same, the games worse.  if they charged only silver and the game was free like in the beta itd be ok, then.  itd be fair and they would code for good play.  right after notch quit rolf started charing.  like about 4-5 months or something later.  i remember.

also he charges vat and doesnt take it off or include it in his price.  the recent raise in price i find no fair its too high for a java game that grinds a lot and they charge silver for a deed.  those are took different ways in either the pve or pvp land.  pve it wont let anyone attack anything in that area.  pvp, it just doenst let whatever rules you set.  actually its the same in both.  depends on how you use it.

• ldrancerldrancer Member Posts: 2

here.  i tried to get this resolved in their mirc channel.  here is the log of it. its pretty big.  iwas talking to one guy named retrograde somewhere in this chat, then everyone else started coming along defending him, saying anything jumping on the bandwagon or whatever.  then some guy not even involved banned me.  sothey wouldnt have to talk about it.  this is how every game broken concept this has continued since beta and i think i talked to notch who told me he left cause of this.  im glad i have told people about it now.

man cant post that log picked up as spam.

convo pretty much went like this, the hr guy in our discussion, decided to bring up how i talk to gm.  they are pretty rude to me im rude bacfk, he tried to leverage this and the only thing he done cause he started arguing in circles.  he then let everyone else start to take his back.  it got so bad in arguing in circles it turned into a kiddy fight.  they where pitting themselves against me while trying to say they where agreeing with me i said no your pitting yourself against myself and disagreeing comparing them. then some mirc chat admin said im tired of this and banned me.  the first guy who stopped talking and everybody continuted, and took his back for him, said he was a PR guy for wurm.  that means, the mirc admin was tired me of talking bad about a PR guy.  HAHAHHAA.  thats all wurm is now is propoganda. 

i was trying to post my log on my website, but i cant log in.  so i dont want to try to wittle it down to whatever quality i can have left and post it.  ill just leave it maybe ill get a post to a link later.  if some people are interested.

its like this theyve involved pvp into pve and pve is ruined.  pvp is broke.  its a money sucker.  there are 2 realms, from what ive heard and how they treat players, and any problems, treated how they are, by ignoring, and aruging with someone for an hour and then copying what their saying then when you argue over that they lie, AND claim where agreeing while theyre trying to tell me the opposite of what i say, im tired of them.  theres no way possible i want to play.  there ruined the game the game was a good idea.  everybody knows that.  they ruined it with greifers and thats all rolf ever coded for.  all rolf wants is theres an idea theres a good game out there.  ive heard pvp has been broken for a while.  its a scheme to bring in players, then waste their time he codes for the griefers the ones who are teh worst players and talk bad abotu you every time you come up with a complaint maybe or a suggestion or an idea.  about the game.  the whole game.  any idea, like do this small little tiny itty thing to the game.  make the menus more mouse friendly, like my recent suggestion to them about a new place to put the pick sprout or prune menus for trimming the forests.  they added a submenu from some new retarded look thing, called plant tree IN MIDDLE.  so what.  now i cant walk and click at the same time.  oh i was told to shutup and go to the admin about it by a gm then that admin ended up muting me for an hour.

they dont care all they care about is tricking people into coming back to their game.
  • VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

It's fun to see the community revolting against the designers' latest move, which will implement a PvP server that's designed to be reset every month.

And I see that bridges are being dangled as an update just around the corner. I heard that before -- in 2012.

AT LEAST they seem to have mostly turned off the trader money faucet loophole that made this game what some people called a pyramid scheme, funneling the money from regular subscribers to the top players.

But anyway. I'm on Celebration, the brand-new server from 2012, now discarded like an aging trophy wife in favour of the new shiny place, Xanadu. Makes you realize that playing this game is futile.

-"Make your mark", the game says. Truth be told, nobody cares what you build, what your place looks like, or how pretty it is. Nobody visits anywhere. Too busy grinding. When your deed runs out, your accomplishments will slowly disappear thanks to decay, and nobody will miss them.  Everywhere you go, you will instead see the remains left by others - bits of pavement, fences with 80% decay, and so on. A new server is pretty for perhaps a month. Then it becomes ugly as hell. If you play this at length, you will feel bad and ashamed of yourself at having wasted so much time in it when in the end nothing of what you accomplish matters.

-The entire game is already designed as a noob repellent.  Veterans don't like noobs because they make the server ugly, or because they cut all the trees while there's still no sickle in the starter kit to make them replant even if they wanted, or because they're freeloaders who refuse to go premium. At the same time, those veterans who want the game even more grindy to turn away even more noobs won't hesitate to pay those same noobs a pittance to do their back-breaking work, like five hundred bricks or a thousand clay, that they can't be bothered to do themselves. (There's still my review from 2012 under the "reviews" tab above if you're interested in more on this subject.) End result: no progression in player numbers, with I guess 3000 players at the most in total, but now spread out over even more servers.

-If you do anything that is in any way useful to the server community, it will either be ignored or monopolized by someone else. Build lamps along the busiest highway? You'll be the only one to maintain them, regardless of how many people live nearby. Open a public mine in which some uncommon ore can be found? It's a matter of days before someone fences it off.  "Deed it or lose it" is not exactly a sentiment likely to lead to some consideration of the public good. There's no community spirit here, only people who talk of the player base of this game as "investors" or "workers" and who make it sound as though cashing out of the game (since Rolf authorizes it while at the same time trying to compete with such people by selling currency in the cash shop himself) is their only interest in playing this in the first place.

• blackmpeblackmpe Member UncommonPosts: 7
    That is how PVE is like in wurm. Generaly disconnected. If you were looking for interaction and a place where you actions and your creations matter, you should have opted for PVP. Wurm has its shortcomings when it comes to its coding and the way things work techicaly, but all these rants that i read on these forums are just people who didnt make it in wurm, or didnt find what they were looking (mostly because they were looking in the wrong palces). It is very unfair for the game. There IS constructive critiscism to be made on several aspects of the game, but all this is just ranting.
  • KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56

Why I quit.

1. P2W (More like pay to hoard or build)
    2. Need of "bot" and multi box to get anything worthwhile done. Its a dont ask dont tell sorta thing but boy oh boy do people use them in this one.
    3. Event Crashes! Get 50+ people in a area and prepare to crash every 5-10min! Even if you turn all your settings on low and turn off all graphics this game is gonna find a error and crash your ass for it.
    4. Killing bosses! Most bland boring annoying thing you can do. Sail 1-4 hours wait around for kill time, then attack a some down syndrome lookin monster that represents no challenge or planing what so ever and gets zerged in about a minute all while hoping you ass doesnt crash as the killing blow happens because thats when server loot gets distributed.
    The only thing nice I have to say about this game is most the people are nice and the community is non toxic.