Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would anyone return to WoW?

124»

Comments

• SagaSolunaSagaSoluna Member Posts: 14

When i occasionally return to it is always because of :

-I have my friends there

-It offers a lot of content to do and explore, and it allows you to access it easily.

-It is polished, easy to re-learn even if you forgot your class and decently flashy and entertaining in short bursts.

-Nostalgia

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Keylogger_007

Most release to WOTLK era players are long gone, so returning for nostalgia or to play with old friends, old guild members is impossible. With the tactical nuclear strike they've thrown at community forming gameplay elements there will be no recapturing the "early days." It's only worth now is for the bright-eyed newbies who don't have preconceptions or real experience with the game. Even then it's only good for a month or two of play now considering the rate of spoon-fed progression.

Being on top for too long, becoming complacent and then trying to capture a new playerbase (to the detriment of the old) cost too much in accelerated bleed. The game would be bleeding even if it was vanilla-tbc era quality still, but not this fast. Cataclysm really WAS a Cataclysm, I'm not even going start ranting about MoP.

1-60 Leveling, guild interaction, player interaction via pvp and instances was top notch. Progression for single characters and guilds was top notch.

60-70 Leveling, guild interaction, player interaction via instances was top notch. Arena hurt PVP communities and players more than anyone will realize until WOTLK. Progression for single characters and guilds was top notch.

70-80 Leveling takes a nose dive, most of WOTLK's content was cut. Guild interaction, community formation elements are stagnating. Dungeon finder further shits on community and REAL guild formation. Extreme casualization of raid content to coax incapable players through content starts the downward spiral of PVE that arena started in TBC for PVP. (ToC shitfest, ICC being up for over a year, VERY HIGH character turnover at 80) Single character progression is okay, guild progression up to and including Ulduar is solid, after that it nosedives and turnover consumes it.

80-85 We are now at maximum retard. Guilds are entirely destroyed, pve/pvp communities suffer from arena and casualitis shoveled into the game to coax the really bad players that WOTLK bred through LFR. (Remember the bitching over simple Cataclysm heroic mechanics? Those players would've rage quit life in the day of TBC heroics.)

85-90 *vomit*

Short version in case anyone cares or even reads this:

Opening end game content (even arena counts, in a sense) to players who lack skill, general hand-eye coordination and freetime lead to the tuning of content which further degraded the playerbase, in turn leading to exponentially climbing turnover and a total destruction of any community of any sort outside small pockets of the dedicated low level twinking brackets. Casual players did not need raid content, mechanics did not need tuned to allow them to progress when they were otherwise incapable. There needs to be a top end (the 1% lol) for the rest to exist in a cohesive fashion. It's too late to undo any of the mistakes, and given the path design has taken even if the next expansion blows our minds, it'll never recover, at best they'll bandage the player hemorrhage for a couple months.(Cutting of WOTLK Content, which lead to turnover they tried to combat in the end by shoveling morons through raids is at the root of this.)

How very elitist of you.

Prove to me that all the players from Lich King are gone. Maybe in your neck of the woods but where I am sitting there are still tons of people from the "good 'ole days"...

For as many posts that are exactly the same as yours, why do we need more of the same? 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    I recently went back to WoW myself. My reason, the content, the activities outside of pve/pvp. There's just so much to do in the game. In the past 2 years that I went to try new games, there's just nothing out there as good as WoW, nothing that offers as much to do. I went back and all the people I use to raid/dungeon crawl/adventure with were still there.

I just re-subbed myself, having fun. /shrug

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    The MMO is most polished MMO on the market with an incredibly deep bench of developers and talent to boot. What Blizzard should do is give some potential buyers a level 90 character with some entry level gear into the latest raid or arena season and let them go to town for a week or two(with some restrictions to avoid exploiting, of course). Then, after the period, give these people to just purchase everything up to MoP with a single click, let them keep the character without the gains, etc, and an XP buff, and perhaps a free character/faction transfer or w/e.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by intrinsc
    The MMO is most polished MMO on the market with an incredibly deep bench of developers and talent to boot. What Blizzard should do is give some potential buyers a level 90 character with some entry level gear into the latest raid or arena season and let them go to town for a week or two(with some restrictions to avoid exploiting, of course). Then, after the period, give these people to just purchase everything up to MoP with a single click, let them keep the character without the gains, etc, and an XP buff, and perhaps a free character/faction transfer or w/e.

This would exactly work opposite....  This would literally reduce the whole game to just the latest endgame expansion...

Blizzard should concentrate on making all the content somewhat challenging again, and making currently redundant content attractive again to most players... I bet most current endgame players have only seen a faction of the world......

Just create 2 instances of the world... one with stuff at different levels to support the lveling crowd.... and one version of the world that makes all that content max level content..  If they could give people a reason to travel trough the world again, they would make the game much much more attractive to all MMo players and not only to the current raiding generation.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

One of the major problems with new releases is the fact that they have gone down the Wow clone route.

So you start the new game - it reminds you of wow

You get into the dungeons - it reminds you of wow

End raiding with vertical progression - hey just like wow.

The newer games level in a couple of weeks, I hate this shortened cycle. So you are more or less immediately on the dailies/ gear grind stage. Then you ask the question - is that it? The shiny has worn off, and the grass isn't that green anymore.

You see player numbers reducing, areas less populated, harder to find groups. What now? Then remember that game you played with all the sentiment, all the good times, all the familiar story lines, and all the characters you have with pretty decent gear already..........

My time with wow is done, well maybe until the next expansion comes out........

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75

So I guess my relationship with World of Warcraft is a special case..

I only played World of Warcraft for about a year in 2005. A month after the Burning Crusade came out, I decided to leave. And it is here that I began to walk down a dark road of hoping from one game to another. Since 06 I have played tons of games in this genre, and many of them have a lot of things I like. But they're not the complete package. At the same time WoW has changed drastically since I played. In fact, some of it might even be unrecognizable to the point where I might feel like it's a new game.

Between Rift, DC Universe Online, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and even the original Everquest I keep looking for something more. It wasn't until I received an extensive sample of a future game currently in the development that I realize what I was actually looking for. Let's just say I might have to wait until Spring 2014.

But at the moment I am looking at World of Warcraft and I have MISSED OUT ON SO MUCH! When I originally put down Blizzard's MMORPG my reason was simple. I was getting burned out but I still enjoyed much of what it had to offer. I know many things have changed, but would it be worth experiencing what I've missed for the past 7 years? I know nothing about World of Warcraft beyond The Burning Crusade. I was able to catch up quite a bit via Youtube videos. I'm very much intrigued again.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by NeoGen85

So I guess my relationship with World of Warcraft is a special case..

I only played World of Warcraft for about a year in 2005. A month after the Burning Crusade came out, I decided to leave. And it is here that I began to walk down a dark road of hoping from one game to another. Since 06 I have played tons of games in this genre, and many of them have a lot of things I like. But they're not the complete package. At the same time WoW has changed drastically since I played. In fact, some of it might even be unrecognizable to the point where I might feel like it's a new game.

Between Rift, DC Universe Online, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and even the original Everquest I keep looking for something more. It wasn't until I received an extensive sample of a future game currently in the development that I realize what I was actually looking for. Let's just say I might have to wait until Spring 2014.

But at the moment I am looking at World of Warcraft and I have MISSED OUT ON SO MUCH! When I originally put down Blizzard's MMORPG my reason was simple. I was getting burned out but I still enjoyed much of what it had to offer. I know many things have changed, but would it be worth experiencing what I've missed for the past 7 years? I know nothing about World of Warcraft beyond The Burning Crusade. I was able to catch up quite a bit via Youtube videos. I'm very much intrigued again.

If you take it like a solo PvE game, there are great stories and lore---

But you can also go the dungeon route, as a fast highway to max level, and then a few quick gearing sessions and enjoy the latest content, never looking back to whhat you missed in those 7 years..

Actually the game is still fun, however 90% of the content is dead, but that 10% that is alive is still among the best content. Still the most fluent MMO out there.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Why?

It's still fun.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Why?

It's still fun.

Yup. Dividing my time between WoW and Diablo 3 hardcore.

The games are different enough to enjoy them both.

The 3rd game I am playing is Heavy Rain on the PS3. Fabulous game btw.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I personally didn't "over-play" WoW.  I started the game back when BC was just coming out, played though BC with a single toon, then left.  I did have a great time, and what made me ultimately leave was that the end zone in BC was boring as hell to me.  

I'm interested, as I wait for a more hybrid MMO to come out in 2014, in possibly playing the game now and checking out things I've missed.  If I'm going to play a themepark right now, I might as well play the best and most complete one on the market. The others are mostly lackluster spinoffs anyway.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    my wow character still sits in xroads,  got to level 60 when it was max level and haven't played since.  was a fun game back then but i know i would be totally lost now if i tried to play it
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Why?

It's still fun.

Pretty much this.  Yeah, they dumbed the game down immeasurably from the Vanilla days, and it's ridiculously casual and solo-centric now, but they still do most things better than just about any other MMO on the market.  The challenge is gone from the game, but the fun is still there.  

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Why?

It's still fun.

Pretty much this.  Yeah, they dumbed the game down immeasurably from the Vanilla days, and it's ridiculously casual and solo-centric now, but they still do most things better than just about any other MMO on the market.  The challenge is gone from the game, but the fun is still there.  

Agree too

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Why?

It's still fun.

Exactly... and calling it dumb is also to say that it's just as dumb as all the other themeparks on the market. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    For me I gave up WOW like a lot of player shortly after reaching 90 and didn't want to do dailies and grind rep all day every day.  I just came back about a month ago for 3 reasons,  first its the only MMO my wife enjoys so she plays it, so I can play with her, second I have a couple of people that I met when wow came out that I still play with to this day and they still play, and lastly I have fun no more or less any other MMO I play and have fun.  I played most main steam and few indy games.

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I also love the add-ons.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Meh....

I was bored to all hell the other day and guess what? Blizz sent me an Email with Mop at 50% off. Bastards got me again ;)  haven't played WoW since my 1 month with Cata.

It's the world that sucks me in every time. Standing on a hill, looking into the distance and not having to look at a loading screen does it to me every time.

I started a new Panda monk and leveled through early Panda land. I actually died a couple times (getting old and senile I guess) I've never leveled a new character up since vanilla, hopefully Blizz can keep me interested for a bit. I'm playing for the stories and the lore so I want to level slowly and enjoy some RP-PVP.

I know you can turn off XP gain, but don't know any of the details yet. I'd like to turn it off when I do dungeons, is it convenient or did Blizz make it a pain in the ass?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Wow and Swtor are only games so far I can easily imagine to return to play with new expansions even for 10 or 20 years.

In ten years I am gonna give wow a chance again aswell :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Why?

It's still fun.

Exactly... and calling it dumb is also to say that it's just as dumb as all the other themeparks on the market. 

There is challenging content in the game, content that requires serious time investment, research, character planning, using simulations to maximize your DPS/rotations etc.

But it isn't forced, so to most people it doesn't exist.

Hardcore raiding and PvP still exist in WoW - they just aren't very popular. They mostly just give 'normal' players videos to watch on Youtube and articles to skim on MMO-Champ that make you think "oh, maybe I should re-forge some of my crit to haste..."