Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age Of Conan server merge

kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82

Why do i never see anything about this game on here i mean this is mmorpg.com?

I see updates to crap games advertisement from crap games and never see Age of Conan any where or see news like the server merge they just had Eu and Us are one server now.

Comments

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Well server merge just happened not 2 months ago.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by kriminal66

Why do i never see anything about this game on here i mean this is mmorpg.com?

I see updates to crap games advertisement from crap games and never see Age of Conan any where or see news like the server merge they just had Eu and Us are one server now.

Because unfortunately, due to the limited vision of the developers of this title (a title that had mega potential to be the next Dark Age of Camelot...for the 3 people reading this that even know what that is)....the game was a sinking ship from day 1.

I wasn't some arm chair fan boy either.  I read all the books by Robert Ervin Howard, and the "saved" manuscripts by Le Sprague De Camp and Lyn Carter.  A lot of books went into this lore.  Not one of them was as silly as this game.  You wouldn't see Priests of Mitra pvp'ing each other in some instance.  You wouldn't EVER see a necromancer or tempest of set etc get anywhere near Cimmeria without being torn apart by guards.

The developers ignored the lore, painting just enough to get the masses who were illiterate in the genre of Howard's Conan, to get boxes sold back in the day.  Soon enough, folks saw the game for what it was.  The epic battles, the nation vs nation vs nation warfare...all of that advertised in the big Conan animation that used to open the game - never occurred.  The animation was even pulled because it made the game look as if nations were rising against Aquilonia.  When in fact, this was just savage gang banger fights with small tracts of pointless turf being defended by the same races and classes against the same races and classes.  Cimmerian vs Cimmerian vs Aquilonian vs Aquilonian vs Stygian vs Stygian and so forth.

No concept of culture or borders.  Try speaking French in England during the War of Roses - you would have been burned at the stake.  In Conan, however, as a game, anything went.

And they wonder why they are beneath the waves.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Well server merge just happened not 2 months ago.

mmorpg.com dont report everything but they report enough

if want game specific news - i goto a game fansite

example: for EQ2, i goto EQ2wire  or wowfans probably goto mmochampion or wowinsider

Yeah im starting to think this site is more about making money then being a site for mmorpg fans.

I havent turned Adblock off yet i can just imagine tho

Your a addict lol not a fan anyways just think Conan is a great game just surprises me its not active here.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Your a addict lol not a fan anyways just think Conan is a great game just surprises me its not active here.

As I posted in another thread, AoC is suffering from the "It had its chance, but failed at launch syndrome". Its hard for MMO's to recover from bad launches...regardless of how good they are today. I like AoC, but the sparse population keeps me from revisiting it. And, if you think about it, MMO's are their own worst enemies. In the early part of the 2000's, you had a handful of MMO's to choose from, so game populations were good. Now, you have an over-saturated market that causes the game population to dwindle in your game of choice. I think you will see more and more MMO's shutting down in the next 10 years due to the ever increasing MMO industry.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

It did turn around for a while and was the main income earner for funcom.  They stopped investing in it though and just seemed to leave it on autopilot.  This is what happens in that case.

Yes the sparse population kept me from rejoining as well kinda why i think there should have been some kind of news about it. Right now there is good population because of server merge im having a blast on pvp server usiing this thing that makes the game look way better called SweetFX.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah im starting to think this site is more about making money then being a site for mmorpg fans.

I havent turned Adblock off yet i can just imagine tho

Well no, it covered the news, it just disappeared quickly due to a lack of interest.

They seem to cover most active games, how long the news sticks around and how long people discuss it on the forums depends on the user interest.

But what the other commentors have been saying is 100% correct, this site is more of a general website to get a general overview of the MMO landscape, if you want detailed conversations or news about games that are no longer upcoming, new or relevant then you will need to go to a specialty fansite.

I'm sure they will do another AoC article when they release something new, or talk about releasing something new. The news on that front has been a bit quiet since the team merge however.