Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a composer and this is my idea for combat music. What do you think?

2»

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I think this should be combat music in an mmo by Jim Carrey
  • MaxCastilloMaxCastillo Member Posts: 5

Woah! Did not expect such a sudden influx of comments! Thank you. As for the short length, these are just small samples, I could go on forever with actual music. image

Guys, if you think this would sound good in the game, maybe you could help me get noticed by the devs? Like post in the backers forum or something? I sent Mark Jacobs an email a week ago but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'm not saying I'm the best composer out there, but I'm probably one of the better ones they can actually afford. I'd be willing to do a trial run to see if I can get the sound the developers need.

A lot of questions in this thread and I'll answer all of them tomorrow, it's 3:40AM right now and I have to go to sleep.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Konfess

Yes it is ideal combat music.  I hired 5 composers from my local community college and got nothing that sounded that good.  I told them I was looking for stuff that sounded John Williams like and I got..

Well, I hate to sound elitist but my first thought is "community college". go to the nearest conservatory or contact someone in the top 10 conservatories in the country and see what they have.

Always ask for an example.

However, keep in mind that part of the problem is that if they don't have an orchestra (and they don't!) they will have to use synthesized sounds. And of course that depends on what they have available.

Look at your cheapest shows on tv and listen to the music. If it's "orchestrall" in nature you can see how it might fail in comparison than something done on a higher budget with better sounds or a "real" orchestra.

This is the garritan orchestra and it generally sounds decent. But it's just not going to replace a real orchestra.

http://www.garritan.com/

Secondly if the composers you hired don't understand what makes up John William's music, meaning, what his influences are, then it's going to be hard for them. Also keep in mind that mr. williams has "borrowed" from other composers. One notable example is in Star Wars where he lifts a portion of "The Rite of Spring". However, he is influenced by holst and dvorak among others.

Actually there are many people who could get this done for you. Do an internet search and you will find thousands of composers with samples you can listen to or they can send you some.  There are also many music forums as well where people have samples of their work.   There are a plethora of composers out there who do orchestration.  In all honesty, most people in the industry know how to create orchestration sounds via a few keyboards or software.  Just look for keyboard forums and/or software orchestration forums.  You will find tons of people who can do this and often they will sound just as good and yet the same. Software today is good enough so almost every composer use it in tandem with some real instruments if not exclusively. 

Originally posted by Sovrath
    hey there,

I'm also a composer as well (degree in composition) If Im guessing correctly you are going from 6/8 to 3/4 and repeating it until you get to the lyrical part where you you stay in 3/4. I like that. Mixes it up. I wonder if you might consider 5/4 in order to keep that sense of "what meter am I in?"

I think that the "end" of the lyrical phrase needs to definitively "end" or go to a different place (or are you looping it back to the start?) It's unclear.

the first bit of motivic material is a minor second then going down a major 2nd in the voices and then rising min 2nd to maj 2nd in the brass. (and then maj 2ndto min 2nd the second time around in the brass).

so essentially bits of a scale wise passage. You then get to the lyrical part but I'm unsure where that is going. Still scale wise until your first leap to a perfect 5th. This feels like an "event" only because the rest of your melodic material has been scale wise. However, I dont' feel the lyrical part goes anywhere after this first significant leap.

My guess is that you've heard Carmina Burana by Orff and I wonder if you have heard "mars the bringer of war" by Holst?

If not I would give those bits a listen. That might help you expand what you have.

Nice job, are you using garritan or something else?

Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

Carmina Burana: (go to 1:25) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEllLECo4OM

The whole track is actually in 3/4. Since it's only a minute or so I wanted to keep the same time signature throughout the whole length. And since this is only a short sample it doesn't have a definitive end, it just kind of cuts off.

I'm pretty familiar with Holst's Planets as well as Carmina Burana. Have a composition degree myself.

As for samples I don't use Garritan but I do use a lot of the current popular orchestral libraries, you know, LASS, CineBrass, that kind of stuff.

Originally posted by Terranah

Do you have anything on iTunes that is longer for purchase? 

If so, link please...

Originally posted by Konfess

What did you use to make this?  Did you create the vocalization or is that part of the application?

Yes it is ideal combat music.  I hired 5 composers from my local community college and got nothing that sounded that good.  I told them I was looking for stuff that sounded John Williams like and I got..  Nothing as close as you made to Williams. 

Unfortunately I don't have anything on iTunes yet, but that's still to come.

I'm not sure what you mean, Konfess. Are you asking about the choir? It's not a real choir, it's samples like the rest of the instruments.

So can anyone help me get through to the developers? I'd post on the backers forum but I'm not a backer.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    That was epic! Very impressed. Drums are perfect. Tell you what they could do a lot worse than getting you onboard. Good luck with this. :)
  • That's some really epic combat music you've made there. The question is whether it would be right for this game. One question that may be relevant to ask yourself could be this: Would this music fit in lots of games or does it only truly fit in Camelot Unchained?

You could also compare a bit with the music piece that plays in the kickstarter videos.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by MaxCastillo

As for samples I don't use Garritan but I do use a lot of the current popular orchestral libraries, you know, LASS, CineBrass, that kind of stuff.

I don't know them but will look into them, thanks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Loved it!  Wanted more though.  Made me thank of an army marching towards our objective.

Nanulak

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Definitely very cool.   I could see that as the opening music when you log onto a game.  

Nice job!

• Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by MaxCastillo

Hi, this is my first post here, just trying to get some opinions. How would you feel if this was playing in your 500 player battle? The first part is the combat music and the second part quiets down a bit. https://www.box.com/s/fewzobnbk36ega7oyrzc

That was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Two thumbs up!

• nightwriternightwriter Member UncommonPosts: 30

I would have loved to give it a listen, but unfortunately I got an error message using that link:

Secure Connection Failed       

An error occurred during a connection to www.box.com.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)      

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
      Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

----------------------

I'm thinking it might be due to trying to get to it from my work computer - maybe the corporate firewall is blocking it. I'll try again from home. :)

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I dig it.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Very cool. Kinda gave me the Conan vibe. Not the game but the 1st movie. Well done.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It sounds professional. But imho it also sounds like everything else out there atm. You have some decent software though and it sounds like you know how to use it. Good job.

Originally posted by nightwriter

I would have loved to give it a listen, but unfortunately I got an error message using that link:

Secure Connection Failed       

An error occurred during a connection to www.box.com.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)      

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
      Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

----------------------

I'm thinking it might be due to trying to get to it from my work computer - maybe the corporate firewall is blocking it. I'll try again from home. :)

New link: http://www.maxcastillo.com/music/Camelot.mp3

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually, sorry to disappoint, but I turn off all in game music, combat or otherwise as I prefer my own sound tracks.

In game sounds, now that is a different story.

I do the same actually, but that track was quite good. Reminded me of my absolute favorite "Epic Score" track from Jerry Goldsmith that I heard as a kid.

I often listen to "Epic Score" on outside playlists rather than those already in the game. I started doing it in Warhammer Online and it made some moments so much more enjoyable. Not to say that some games haven't had great soundtracks; I'm waiting on Jeff van Dyck's work on Rome 2: Total War's soundtrack more than the actual game itself.

• korbzykorbzy Member Posts: 30
    OP that is brilliant, IMO you should send an email to Mark with an application
    Originally posted by korbzy
    OP that is brilliant, IMO you should send an email to Mark with an application

Thanks, already did, long ago. No reply yet though. And I can't post in the backers' forums because I'm not a backer.

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    awesome mate, just awesome.
  • thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Very good. I could almost feel it playing in the background of games like Skyrim or Dragon Age. However, it was a bit generic, but that is not a bad thing. It did not feel out of place.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    I like it but not for what you're suggesting, it's too cinematic.