Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I will be reviewing the Game ...soon

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    oh man the excitement!!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Having played a Trooper for a year (at release) myself, I'd advice you to play something else. The Trooper story is without a doubt one of the weaker ones out there.

However, I guess it's fair enough to play a weak link in a review.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by sudo
    Originally posted by madazz
    Not to be rude or anything, but why should I care that you are doing a review? Are you someone special? The game has been reviewed many times. Why should anyone care that you in particular are reviewing it? And also, if its so far off, why the announcement? Again, are you someone special and we should all get excited because you MIGHT be reviewing the game in a year or so?

Care to answer to this, OP?

As opposed to whom? Who do you two authorize to write a review?

Its not about authorizing it, its about why the hell is he announcing it? He's making it out to be some sort of big deal that he will be gracing us with his review. I just want to know why his is any more important than anyone elses....

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Not to be rude or anything, but why should I care that you are doing a review? Are you someone special? The game has been reviewed many times. Why should anyone care that you in particular are reviewing it? And also, if its so far off, why the announcement? Again, are you someone special and we should all get excited because you MIGHT be reviewing the game in a year or so?

Its not about authorizing it, its about why the hell is he announcing it? He's making it out to be some sort of big deal that he will be gracing us with his review. I just want to know why his is any more important than anyone elses....

It's nice that more people are getting involved with sharing their opinions though.  Whether or not the OP is the type of person to carry out what they start is another story.

Having never heard a peep on the proposed review, it can't be commented on.  If it ever does get completed, hopefully it will include pro's and con's.

Originally posted by keithian
    THis is a very odd thread and should be locked as it holds no value as far as being able to discuss anything, but as far as some of the posts here, its a great game to some, its a horrible game to others, many more are in the middle for one reason or another, what difference does it make. If you like it, play it. IMO the game is just fine when treated as a single player story game with the occassional need to group with others for some of the better story modes. Did the game do as well as I had hope and what Bioware thought? Not at all, but the games seems to have a healthy enough population and is staying afloat so who gives a shit lol.

That part is really subjective.  What you said was mostly neutral, until that part.

SWTOR "seems" to be staying afloat though.  SWTOR had a huge budget followed by lackluster followings .. the budget in the $200 - $300 million range initially at time of launch (counting advertising / shilling).  More expenditures would ensue post launch, bringing the to-date costs much higher.

Then there is the whole thing with EA buying BioWare in 2007 for $860 million (http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818).  I believe EA had big plans for BioWare at the time (and are since trying to release games under the BioWare name currently), but EA has really tarnished the BioWare logo with SWTOR (outside of some loyalists who remain).

So spending over a billion dollars on SWTOR, then others saying SWTOR is staying afloat is a bit of a stretch.  The servers are still up though, if that's what you mean (14% of them anyways).  I mean, shit, EA needs to continually lump SWTOR with 2 of their best games in their financial report, then declare a gain amongst all 3 games combined.  Smell fishy yet?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Here's my review:

Game is too linear & claustrophobic.

The quests make little sense when put in the context of the main story.

Too much voice acting (overkill).

Limited classes.

PvP is an afterthought.

F2P model sucks.

There, now I'm a superstar game reviewer too.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

Let me take care of it for you -

"SWTOR isn't a very good game. Despite having several redeeming qualities, the bad far outweighs the good. Their F2P model is one of the worst on the market. The entire game leaves you wondering, 'what could have been' and does little to no justice to its amazing IP."

There.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    This is like giving a review for the movie Braveheart,years after it came out.Why???

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

All your review needs to include is

It's not a sandbox

It has no OW FFA PvP

So ppl on this site will say it sucks, end of story.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    The game is actually worth a try.  I mean it isnt the best as far as "MMO" features are concerned.  But the single player story line is quite good.  And costs next to nothing to complete the best part of the game.  I still visit it for a month or two, here and there just to do the class story lines.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    OP I actually will be very interested to read your review if you're truly going to play it f2p.  I'd like to see how you navigate post-25 level content as the xp penalty for f2p eventually put you way behind the leveling curve for the content.
  • CikkCikk Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

I will be reviewing the Game ...soon

As the OP's title says. . .I'd be interested in your 'opinion', since most mmo enthusiasts / consumers have lambasted this title since its' launch, garnering it with a 5.7 out of a possible 10 score. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

This is literally the only MMO I've ever played that I would never install on my computer again.  It's THAT bad.  The only thing that could turn this lifeless shell of a game into something playable would be another five years of dedicated development and another 300 million budget.

Besides, there are literally hundreds of reviews for this game dating anywhere from pre-release to last month.  It's one of the only games out there that people seem to feel the need to keep returning to as if it's the grave of a beloved relative that they just can't bear to think has died.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's nice that more people are getting involved with sharing their opinions though.  Whether or not the OP is the type of person to carry out what they start is another story.

Having never heard a peep on the proposed review, it can't be commented on.  If it ever does get completed, hopefully it will include pro's and con's.

You responded to my post but in no way contributed to it... I'm not even sure it can be called a response. Why did you even quote me?

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

This times a billion.  How many times has this game been reviewed already?  Even on this site way too many already and basically they all say similar things.  The book is already out on this game and most have been there and done that already.   Why do you need to announce your going to review it. just do it.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by funcon

This game has loading screens at every corner. It isnt a seamless world game. Also the classes mirror each other so that makes it like only 4 classes total in game. I like the art style and the animations of the characters, but pvp sucks cos not much variety, only 4 classes to choose from. Also the instanced pvp sucks cos the game engine cannot handle big battles. This is why all the war zones are 8v8. I would of loved the game if the classes did not mirror each other(devs taking lazy route for balancing pvp) and there werent a loading screen at every corner you turn.

Also wpvp sucks because when you go out and quest in contested planets, the desgins of the quests do not take you to cross patch with opposite faction. This game is a big dud. Wish SW:TOR was like EQ Next.

can you name a Seamless world game?  I can't.  WoW isn't seamless

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I think all anyone needs to know is that this game took roughly 7 years to make and cost more than any other MMO to date and yet in less than a year went F2P due to lack of subscribers.  They had the time, they had the money and they had one of the best IP's in gaming history and yet could not make a game that most people wanted to play.  What is there to review?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by slickbizzle
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

I will be playing the game as intended and will not be skipping any cut scenes.

I think thats the only thing anyone needs to tell you, and you are already going to be doing it.  Play it the way THEY intended, not the way the spacebar happy a.d.d people play it.

HEY! I take offense at the ADD remark you made. When I played SW:TOR long ago, I managed to get through all cut scenes without even thinking of touching the spacabar. And that for someone with severe ADD and no medication possible ;-)

@OP - best of luck playing. Though the game itself is fun, it's certainly NOT a MMO because sadly 95% of the content is solo play :( I wish BioWare added more (forced) MMO aspects to the game OR released it as a single-player RPG game.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    OP says he's never seen a review since F2P.  Massively did a whole series on it.  Just sayin'.

Steam: Neph

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Karteli

Originally posted by keithian
    THis is a very odd thread and should be locked as it holds no value as far as being able to discuss anything, but as far as some of the posts here, its a great game to some, its a horrible game to others, many more are in the middle for one reason or another, what difference does it make. If you like it, play it. IMO the game is just fine when treated as a single player story game with the occassional need to group with others for some of the better story modes. Did the game do as well as I had hope and what Bioware thought? Not at all, but the games seems to have a healthy enough population and is staying afloat so who gives a shit lol.

That part is really subjective.  What you said was mostly neutral, until that part.

SWTOR "seems" to be staying afloat though.  SWTOR had a huge budget followed by lackluster followings .. the budget in the $200 - $300 million range initially at time of launch (counting advertising / shilling).  More expenditures would ensue post launch, bringing the to-date costs much higher.

Then there is the whole thing with EA buying BioWare in 2007 for $860 million (http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818).  I believe EA had big plans for BioWare at the time (and are since trying to release games under the BioWare name currently), but EA has really tarnished the BioWare logo with SWTOR (outside of some loyalists who remain).

So spending over a billion dollars on SWTOR, then others saying SWTOR is staying afloat is a bit of a stretch.  The servers are still up though, if that's what you mean (14% of them anyways).  I mean, shit, EA needs to continually lump SWTOR with 2 of their best games in their financial report, then declare a gain amongst all 3 games combined.  Smell fishy yet?

Bit of a stretch to say that EA spent a billion dollars on SWTOR...

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

You know my advice is play games you are interested in and decide for yourself if a game sucks or not...don't listen to people saying a game sucks.   MOst of the time those people are wrong because they have a specific thing that can only satisfy them...so if a game doesn't have that little something, then they won't give the game a chance and no matter how decent a game can be, they simply won't like it....

But the real issue isn't that a game is bad or they don't like it...it's in them thinking everyone is like them and won't like it for the same reasons they don't like it.  

Bottom line, play the game as you like and let your own experiences tell you whether it's a good game or not.  It's like food, nobody can tell you what's truly good because they don't have your taste buds...you won't ever know until you try it yourself.

SWTOR is not a bad game for what it is...which is KOTOR with a multiplayer element added to it.  It feels like a single player console game because the focus is on the story.  It's impossible to create a story driven game where thousands of people play it and have the story somehow make all those thousands of people immersed so that they feel something different than what SWTOR actually gives you.

Overall, don't play games with the intention of comparing it to another game out there...you'll never like most games if you do that....just play games for what they are, not what you want them to be....the main reason everyone thinks SWTOR sucks is because they all thought it was gonna be everything that SWG was.....but I knew it wasn't gonna be anywhere as good as SWG as soon as I read the first information about the game and what they were planning to do...but other people ignored it all and kept believing SWG 2 was coming in the form of SWTOR.

Bottom line...the game is decent and if you love a good story (or 16 different mini stories, 1 for each class) then you'll likely enjoy the game.   If you live and die PVP, large scale battles, unique crafting, great raiding or having big RP parties, you may be dissappointed in the game as it's very limited in all those areas.  

By the way, the game has more than 4 classes.  There are 4 base classes and 8 advanced classes, so 12 total and then the other 12 for the other faction are just mirrors....

So for Republic side you have....

Jedi Knight  takes you to Jedi Guardian or Jedi Sentinel

Jedi Consular takes you to Sage or Shadow

Trooper takes you to Vanguard or Commando

Smuggler takes you to Scoundrel or Gunslinger

The imperial side you have...

Sith Warrior branches into Juggernaut and Marauder

Sith Inquisitor branches into Sith Sorcerer and Sith Assassin

Bounty Hunter branches into Pyrotech and Mercenary

Imperial Agent branches into Operative and Sniper

So overall, the game basically has 12 classes and these days it's not easy having 24 unique classes without a game being a sandbox style like SWG was....even then that game only had 16 classes, so only 4 more than SWTOR....

Lastly, I play SWTOR from beginning to end on every single class....though I'm still working on the imperial side...but I can say that even though both factions classes mirror each other, the stories are not mirrors....so their are 16 unique stories though you can only have so many different plots for anything (game or movie...SWTOR is almost like both).  

But again, my advice is play it yourself and decide...I can't sit here and tell anyone they will like it or hate it because we are different people....just approach the game with an open mind, no expectations (as you should approach everything in life that way) and that way you give yourself a better chance to actually enjoy things rather than take some preconceived ideas with you going in and leave you hating the game before you even play it.

Remember, it's true when they say "MIND OVER MATTER"....what you believe or the preconceived notions you have about something, often dictates your attitude and ability to embrace things.   So if you already have it in your head that  a game is gonna be bad, then in all intent and purposes it will be bad eventually...because your digging for the bad since your mind believes that already...and in doing so, you'll be skipping over or ignoring all the good...

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

4+4=12?

Game has 8 classes lol

And OP, ill save you the trouble:

Stories are worth playing, its best story MMO around.

If you play it as "single player game with multiplayer option" (as in heroics/FPs) it will be good, even as F2P

Unfortunately, game is not worth a sub.

PvP is a joke, gear based and imbalanced as it gets.

Endgame, if you like doing same set of dailies/repeat same FPs/OPs for long stretches of time you might like it, but it gest old really fast.

Both PvP and PvE are simple gear treadmill, which also doesnt help the above.

Also, no more class stories is real downer for the game as its pretty much the only thing thats really worth playing.

I rate it as "nice passtime game", not really worth spending money/much time on.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Never had the hurge to return.the secret world is a better offer.you buy it you play it whenever (a LA gw2)and it is actually a good game!tsw is one of the better b2p offer.ff14 is nice but ff14 is plagued with ton of DRM issue .player getting disconnected because DRM didn't like something etc.never had these issue in tsw.
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    And I will be eating my sandwich... Soon.
  • caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Mortemia
    And I will be eating my sandwich... Soon.

I look forward to the review!