Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is WAY too childish

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Whew! reading these pages, I'm glad what I said was understood by some, and if not least people find that the OP is being childish himself, which is the irony I meant in case people are curious.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Bet this guy is upset because he couldn't get passed World 2-1 of Super Adventure Box. Oh well, guess you can still make the argument that smiling clouds and arching rainbows is content aimed at children. Still fun though. image
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Zelda can also be viewed as a childish game and yet it is beloved by millions of adults and for good reason. 

Now excuse me, I'm going to go play a round of pac-man now.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Rekindle
    wow the rage here, I came here to discuss a game that is clearly designed with 7 year olds in mind. I am not talking about the audience....their own comments will speak for themselves. 

Not all games are designed with the same type of ease in mind.  I think the combat in GW2 is pretty sharp.  I just wish the content was a bit more mature.

Interesting how its become. Childish content in mmos is the norm of 2013 gaming and a testimate to all that has gone wrong with MMO gaming in the last decade in my opinion. 

Yeah but if anyone is going to take you seriously you have to actually make an argument with examples. All you do is make a statement that can seem inflammatory.

There is absolutely nothing childish about this game. Nothing. What it is, is a bit "whitewashed".

So for example, and given the two games that you mentioned, there is very little "grit" or conflict that can seem disturbing.

If one were to compare, let's say, the witcher series to this game we would see that the witcher delves a bit into the darker side of what a world can be and enjoys showing the player this dark side.

but that has nothing to do with being "childish". Showing darkness and grit over "not" showing darkness and grit has nothing to do with being "adult".

There are a lot of adults who don't care to see their main character's sexual exploits or don't care to see body parts strewn all over the place or heads on pikes.

Dora the Explorer is "childish".

In GW2  having one of the main stories be about a character whose sister was betrayed and lured to her death and then covered up "is not childish". It might not be presented in a gritty, graphic manner but that item is not really going to appeal to or speak to a child.

um etc.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I patched GW2 the other day and logged on to take a look.  Now, I realize we're talking about a fantasy game and its a game and its for entertainment.  As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me. 

Seriously, what age group was this game made for and its just made for the youngest? 

I just can't understand how a mature, cognitive adult could get much out of this experience.

I just cannot understand how a mature, cognitive adult would go to a public board to complain about other's enjoyment of an entertainment product.

Oh, you didn't know that GW2 was entertainment?  See, life is a bittersweet disappointment of suffering and despair.   Be that the case, escaping into a FANTASY world to play and enjoy games is something someone does to keep their brain from shutting down (or doing something crazy).   If someone wanted that suffering and despair duplicated into their games, there's already more than enough out there with shooters, horror games, and the like.  

I did want to point out that GW2 has a mixture of emotional content that goes to both ends of the spectral extremes when it comes to it's content.   A single character reflects this more than anything else in the game:  Tybalt, the apple loving Charr.   

But it's best that way when A.Net mixes the sad with the happy, the silly with the serious.  It keeps the players on their toes and doesn't push a single mundane emotional state.   Think of Dragon Bash in how it was a silly fun festival with piñatas, only to be interrupted with murder, intrigue, and a manhunt. 

P.S.  Get over yourself and your egotistical assumption that you're the center of the Universe where everything has to be to your liking only.   A bit selfish, don't you think?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

WHAT about it makes it feel so childish to you? 

Why do we need this thread in the first place? So you are "too mature" for fantasy and fantasy games? Thanks for wasting my time, you don't even tell us WHY you think it is too childish.

Also, games designed for 7 year olds? Give me some examples please. I do not like Guild Wars 2 but as a 41 year old man I enjoy fantasy games. Seems I missed your tired use of the "kiddie" game trope by 34 years...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Not sure if we can call GW2 childish

But, we can definitely say its been dumbed down for children and the masses

The game is so incredibly easy to play. I was never challenged, and got bored really fast

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    There is always one generation of gamers that refuse to play anything they percieve "kiddie looking" because they are recently out of childhood and want to prove that they are adults. Most eventually grow out of it.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    I think OP have left the building.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    wow the rage here, I came here to discuss a game that is clearly designed with 7 year olds in mind. I am not talking about the audience....their own comments will speak for themselves. 

Not all games are designed with the same type of ease in mind.  I think the combat in GW2 is pretty sharp.  I just wish the content was a bit more mature.

Interesting how its become. Childish content in mmos is the norm of 2013 gaming and a testimate to all that has gone wrong with MMO gaming in the last decade in my opinion. 

The "rage" comes from using words like childish or phrases like "I just can't understand how a mature, cognitive adult could get much out of this experience".  Try not to use such loaded statements that are veiled insults to people who enjoy the game.

I don't play anymore, not because I find it too "childish", but because I don't enjoy it and could never get into it.  Cartoony or kiddie graphics and "childish" content have never stopped me from playing and enjoying a game. 

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Some people just enjoy light hearted fantasy RPGs. Real life is dark and gritty, and "mature". We don't always want that in our hobbies. I enjoy all sorts of game styles myself.

And for the record, 7 year olds play Call of Duty and I was playing Mortal Kombat when I was 7 (well 8 I think).

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I patched GW2 the other day and logged on to take a look.  Now, I realize we're talking about a fantasy game and its a game and its for entertainment.  As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me. 

Seriously, what age group was this game made for and its just made for the youngest? 

I just can't understand how a mature, congnicatively developed adult could get much out of this experience.

The point of this thread in my opinion?  To get people to rage.

In the off chance that it's serious, check that ego at the door if you'll please.

I'm sure many would agree that making judgments of what people like (and thereby questioning their maturity based on one's own limited perception) isn't a great way to communicate with others in an adult society.  Human nature / cultural upbringing and all that is something that many try to outgrow before they consider themselves mature.  Analytical thinking of one's own flaws is more important than looking for flaws in others (especially if you don't know them, the experiences they had or where they grew up).  There is no definition in this post to indicate what you consider "cognitively" developed and there is no precise precedence for a reader to adhere to.  The intent seems to be just a flat out insult to anyone who doesn't agree with you and likes the game in question (or if not, then I'd be of the opinion that it may be a poorly articulated question seeking an answer of why someone enjoys the game).

Aside from that I don't know how to respond.  I'm sorry you don't like a game you could just quit, but instead decided to make this thread complaining that you don't like it?  Rekindle does not like Guild Wars 2 and insinuates that no one who plays it is mentally developed.  As you took the time to write it, I'll make a note of this.  Though I would request specifics of what you do not like other than just potentially insulting people and saying the game isn't something you enjoy just because it feels a certain way to alleviate the thought that this might just be a post to aggravate other people.

I've never liked the idea that people should not post anything about how they don't like something.  The stock rebuttal of "well don't play it then, we don't need to hear about it" seems a bit high-handed.  He explained that he doesn't like it because it's childish.  That's fine.  He or she certainly could have explained in more detail what was childish.  Super adventure box or whatever it is?  I personally don't see GW2 as any more or less childish than most other MMORPG's out there.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    The Op states: " As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me" and you people verbally attack him and to make it worse try to disguise your attacks. Shameful what this forum has turned into over the past few years.

And if that wasn't bad enough

Anyone who replies to them gets a warning from the mods, while they continue to makes snide remarks towards the OP

Its amazing what gets flagged and what doesn't. I cant help but think the mods have an agenda, because fairness certainly is NOT very high on their priority list

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by lathaan

I just can't understand how a mature, congnicatively developed adult could get much out of this experience.

Did you just say: "I am insecure in every possible way and have to find my place in this awfully complicated thing called life"?

I'd recommend coming back when you are ready for such discussions.

It's an emerging rule on this site that you cannot express displeasure with cartoons and teletubbies in MMOs. I guess these were supposed to be little kid games all along and some of us never got the memo.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    OrigiPPL ly posted by Rekindle

Childish are posts like this,  now go to corner and think about Your behaviour.

Some ppl just can't get over some design decisions and have to constantly complain about some aspects. If i don't like sth i just don't play it and i dont cry and whine on forums, there are plenty of other games on the market, in this case more or less mature.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355

Childishness does not come from graphics, cartoon style etc, GW2 is childish because the systems are simple, the gameplay is so dumbed down that a child could play it. This is unfortunately true for most current MMOs. The only ones I tried which dont treat their players like children are EvE and Age of Conan, but they probably would if their worlds were not so gritty. It is either easier to make games simple and dumb or its a bigger market than the more mature adults who look for more involved and demanding systems. 

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Daycare centers the world over are overflowing with 7 year old's rocking Core I-7s and legendary gear!

Every tried defending Garrison for a pre-k zerg after nap time!? Damn near impossible!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Pala

Childishness does not come from graphics, cartoon style etc, GW2 is childish because the systems are simple, the gameplay is so dumbed down that a child could play it. This is unfortunately true for most current MMOs. The only ones I tried which dont treat their players like children are EvE and Age of Conan, but they probably would if their worlds were not so gritty. It is either easier to make games simple and dumb or its a bigger market than the more mature adults who look for more involved and demanding systems. 

People on these forums seriously underestimate children. I don't know what kind of child you were, but I loved video games as a child and honestly I was far better at learning complicated systems back then than I am now lol.

I was only 10 when I played my first MMO, NexusTK and that game didn't hold your hand at all. I played a Poet(healer) and I power gamed far better than I do these days. I printed myself out lists of items I needed for big quests and how to get them. Back then you didn't have all the easy access guides available like you do now.

My brother was 9 and he was playing Meridian 59 and a random PKer at that. People hunted him and feared him. No one would have ever guessed he was 9, or maybe back then they didn't care?

Honestly, I think games are more dumbed down for adults now. Not the kids. I have 5 year old cousins who have no problem jumping into Minecraft and figuring out how to do everything on their own. Children are very creative and eager to explore.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Didn't they just have some back to school patch ? I wonder what schools they were talking about. It must have been all those college kids I bet, well maybe....
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    The Op states: " As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me" and you people verbally attack him and to make it worse try to disguise your attacks. Shameful what this forum has turned into over the past few years.

And if that wasn't bad enough

Anyone who replies to them gets a warning from the mods, while they continue to makes snide remarks towards the OP

Its amazing what gets flagged and what doesn't. I cant help but think the mods have an agenda, because fairness certainly is NOT very high on their priority list

If all he said was that the game was too childish to him then fine, it's his opinion and he can have any opinion he wants. But that's not all that he said, he questioned the maturity level and cognitive ability of "adults" who enjoy games like this. In a less veiled rewrite "If you like this game then your are a drooling child with no ability see what a "good" game is"

It was a trolling flame bait post to get people who like this game to get mad at him and anyone who came to his rescue. It clearly worked, personal assaults are never excusable as opinions.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Childish? Eeh, definitley tweenish from my perspective. Is that a bad thing? Not for the tweens, but often what a 13-21 year old finds witty, or clever is perceived very differently by a 28-35 year old, to the point of being stupid, or even repulsive. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    This game is WAY too noobish. Fixed for you, OP.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Didn't they just have some back to school patch ? I wonder what schools they were talking about. It must have been all those college kids I bet, well maybe....

Hard to argue with this one image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

You DO realize that regardless of the MMO, you're running around interacting with what amounts to imaginary characters of various imaginary races inhabiting an imaginary land, killing imaginary monsters for imaginary loot right? Sorry, but no amount of imaginary 'grittiness' will ever make what we do even close to an activity for adults. And you know what?

Wouldn't have it any other way!

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

I just can't understand how a mature, cognitive adult could get much out of this experience.

You should elaborate on what you mean by "childish".

This discussion has been closed.