Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is WAY too childish

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I patched GW2 the other day and logged on to take a look.  Now, I realize we're talking about a fantasy game and its a game and its for entertainment.  As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me. 

Seriously, what age group was this game made for and its just made for the youngest? 

I just can't understand how a mature, cognitive adult could get much out of this experience.

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    I don't play it anymore.  But in comparison what's an mmo you like that you wouldn't consider childish?  I don't see much of a difference in childishness or maturity concerning most mmo's out there.  Particularly thinking of fantasy mmos. 
  • RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    I play Eve and The Secret World. I see childish things in EQ2 but its not quite so rampant.  I guess people like playing games designed for 7 year olds.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The game isn't as dark and gritty as certain games (like TSW), that is true but fantasy games and worlds rarely are.

I don't think GW2 is less mature than most MMOs, look on Wow, LOTRO, Neverwinter and the list goes on....

The difficulty is another matter, the game surely could use some harder open world zones for instance (or all zones could be upped like in the first 2 beta weekends) but that have hardly anything to do with being childish. The games old timers like me played as kids makes any modern computer game seems like a breeze. 

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Originally posted by Rekindle

I patched GW2 the other day and logged on to take a look.  Now, I realize we're talking about a fantasy game and its a game and its for entertainment.  As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me. 

Seriously, what age group was this game made for and its just made for the youngest? 

I just can't understand how a mature, congnicatively developed adult could get much out of this experience.

It's no quicendience that they're selling cute and furry little backpacks on the market now is it?
    You might be on to something, being so congnicatively developed. :D

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I just can't understand how a mature, congnicatively developed adult could get much out of this experience.

The point of this thread in my opinion?  To get people to rage.

In the off chance that it's serious, check that ego at the door if you'll please.

I'm sure many would agree that making judgments of what people like (and thereby questioning their maturity based on one's own limited perception) isn't a great way to communicate with others in an adult society.  Human nature / cultural upbringing and all that is something that many try to outgrow before they consider themselves mature.  Analytical thinking of one's own flaws is more important than looking for flaws in others (especially if you don't know them, the experiences they had or where they grew up).  There is no definition in this post to indicate what you consider "cognitively" developed and there is no precise precedence for a reader to adhere to.  The intent seems to be just a flat out insult to anyone who doesn't agree with you and likes the game in question (or if not, then I'd be of the opinion that it may be a poorly articulated question seeking an answer of why someone enjoys the game).

Aside from that I don't know how to respond.  I'm sorry you don't like a game you could just quit, but instead decided to make this thread complaining that you don't like it?  Rekindle does not like Guild Wars 2 and insinuates that no one who plays it is mentally developed.  As you took the time to write it, I'll make a note of this.  Though I would request specifics of what you do not like other than just potentially insulting people and saying the game isn't something you enjoy just because it feels a certain way to alleviate the thought that this might just be a post to aggravate other people.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Pro tip: only young people are obsessed with pointing out the childishness of others. Us oldies envy their youth and wouldn't want to cut it short.
  • RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    wow the rage here, I came here to discuss a game that is clearly designed with 7 year olds in mind. I am not talking about the audience....their own comments will speak for themselves. 

Not all games are designed with the same type of ease in mind.  I think the combat in GW2 is pretty sharp.  I just wish the content was a bit more mature.

Interesting how its become. Childish content in mmos is the norm of 2013 gaming and a testimate to all that has gone wrong with MMO gaming in the last decade in my opinion. 

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    I play Eve and The Secret World. I see childish things in EQ2 but its not quite so rampant.  I guess people like playing games designed for 7 year olds.

I thought as much.  EvE and Secret World.   But when it comes to outright fantasy games, yea.  I suppose a lot of them could be somewhat construed as " childish " . 

The game isn't designed for 7 year olds though.  They would have a seriously hard time figuring out.  Not that it's complex but it's far too complex for a 7 year old.  I know because I've raised them.  I doubt even my 10 year old could fully grasp all the mechanics of that game on his own. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    wow the rage here, I came here to discuss a game that is clearly designed with 7 year olds in mind. I am not talking about the audience....their own comments will speak for themselves. 

Not all games are designed with the same type of ease in mind.  I think the combat in GW2 is pretty sharp.  I just wish the content was a bit more mature.

Interesting how its become. Childish content in mmos is the norm of 2013 gaming and a testimate to all that has gone wrong with MMO gaming in the last decade in my opinion. 

Going from your last post onward, I reread the responses and saw no one raging.  Aside from that, the rest of this particular post is pure conjecture and opinion.  Though going on the Franchise's prior difficulty and complexity, it would be bad business to build it's second incarnation for those who are still in elementary school.  If you view streamlining as childish, then that's your opinion again.

If you're basing your conjecture on how dark and foreboding the original Guild Wars could be, then the second is very much about "kittens and rainbows" by comparison.  Though I reiterate that there is no (at least it's not known to me) definitive example of what is childish when it comes to games aside from a game that is built on a franchise with a precedence for entertaining children.  Yet even then one's "cognitive" nature should play no role, as there are many adults who enjoy these things as well.  Their reasons are their own and they are very much adults, especially if they enjoy watching them with their own kids as a reason.  This line is further blurred when you add different genders to the mix, as what is "cute" isn't always "childish" to either gender, and is much less so with the fairer sex (an opinion based on experience and observation).

It is interesting how an industry evolves.  Though elaborating what you view (and acknowledging that it's your own opinion as you have in this post) as childish would help when making these types of statements.  Some view graphics as a major factor to deciding the "maturity" of a game, some view content, some compare it to a past version.  Heck, some even view the difficulty and if you are forced into groups, or if it's streamlined in anyway.  Personally I make no such accusations and just play a game for what it is.  I've learned long ago that judgments of things not pertaining to myself (being a critic of myself) will usually allow opportunities to escape for me.  Things that will never be experienced because of my pre-ordained thoughts on the matter that prevented me from indulging in something that may be great.  If I find something not to be to my liking, I just quit.  The reasons are irrelevant if I'm just not having fun.

:)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Maybe it's the story that the OP finds childish. Could it be the lack of challenging content?

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

<>

So you can't understand how someone else can enjoy something you cannot enjoy? 

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

maybe you should play some wallstreet sim or whatnot, no idea.

in general: games and "adult" don't really mix. i am 39 by now and days are counting... anyway, i dont feel old or any shit like that and surely the prob with GW2 for me wasn't that it's too childish (rather it's problem with displaying alot of characters at once).

growing older is inevitable, growing up is optional.

i don't play games to get some "serious experience", but to have fun.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67
    To be honest: I don't really consider GW2 very childish. Of course, there are the Asura which are a bit comical, Quaggans, ok, I can agree that they're pretty childish, but other than the story being a little bit on the ridiculous side, when you first start a character and get introduced to the race you've chosen, especially Norn and Charr aren't too child-friendly in their race-defining motives (hunting, drinking, killing, the overall conflict of Charr and humans). Sure, there aren't any Dead Space-like execution cutscenes (there aren't in games like TSW or Eve, too), but the underlaying themes are mature, as far as I can see. Destruction of the world, evil gods luring several races into their lines; if you really want to look, GW2 just present you with a complete, maybe a little bit on the light side, fantasy world. And let's be honest: every game with a cash shop will, at some point, sell things that are just out of the context of the game itself, but as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't break the immersion in GW2 as much as in other games, because the main concept of the world is way more mature than, let's say, WoW, in my opinion.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

Maybe it's the story that the OP finds childish. Could it be the lack of challenging content?

Let the OP articulate himself further before you put words into his mouth.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

y dont yu say what parts of gw2 thts to childish and how do yu want it to b changed as to not be childish?

if it is to childish as yu say y did yu buy it in the 1st place?:) if yu want blood and gore evrywhere then go find a game with that or make yur own :)

sorry op broad sweeping generallisations like this aint precisely constructive

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123

i havent played the game in awhile either... havent played anything in awhile...

anyways you keep saying its childish but not what makes it childish?

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

You seriously overrate the average 7 year old kid. If you had a 7 year kid old you'd know how silly your statements are. If you do have a 7 year old kid, then let him create a character and level it to 80, or just let him make or even only look up a build, use it and do some PvP with it without any help from anyone older. You won't need long before you figure out how far from the truth you are.

imageimage
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

The very fact you came to these forums and made a post like this and didn't get any rage seems to speak  volumes for the maturity of the GW2 crowd ...as far as mature vs childish content in MMO gaming being any different today then in 1998, I'm not sure anyone playing any MMO is doing so to prove any great amount of maturity

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

wow the rage here, I came here to discuss a game that is clearly designed with 7 year olds in mind. I am not talking about the audience....their own comments will speak for themselves.Not all games are designed with the same type of ease in mind.  I think the combat in GW2 is pretty sharp.  I just wish the content was a bit more mature.Interesting how its become. Childish content in mmos is the norm of 2013 gaming and a testimate to all that has gone wrong with MMO gaming in the last decade in my opinion.
    What did you expect? You just called everyone who enjoys GW2 immature.

It would have helped had you stated why you feel the game is childish, like giving examples.

No, you just laid out a blanket statement calling anyone who enjoys the game immature.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

I taught my 4 year old niece to play GW2 with an xbox controller. As long as I was there to point out what she should be doing/killing she managed to clear zones with relative ease. 

This isn't to say I feel GW2 is anymore childish than your standard themepark MMO on the market, just easier to play. 

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Am I the only one who read this and saw the irony?

Or at least think to myself "Hmmm seems to me someone still has a lot of growing up to do."(Oh and I'll give him that maybe he is on to something, since I am 19 and still have to grow up as well after all, but that isn't my point).

No need to elaborate on this, I hope. 

I was thinking the exact same thing.

The preoccupation with something being "too childish", and requiring things to be more "mature" is a very pre-adult concept. It is something that, at least to me, indicates that the person is still very much a child but is in that awkward stage where they want to be an adult. 

I see plenty of adults play very childish games...most of my friends with kids love games like "plants vs zombies", and I'm not just saying they love to play them with their kids....I'm saying they bought them for their kids and then realized "oh wow this is fun" and then play it themselves. Not everything in adulthood has to be "mature". 

When you are really an adult you don't look at things as "adult" or "childish", you just find something you enjoy (whether that is a game, a sport etc...) but the time you have for enjoyment is limited.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I'm 33 years old and still am a fan of the Mario and Sonic series. Luigi's Mansion was one of the funner games I've played in recent memory.
  • DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

I don't think you really understand what the word "clearly" means. I'm not really even sure you have a clear definition for "Childish".

It what way is it "clearly" designed for 7 year olds? Did I miss some developer letter from last year where they said "So, our focus of this game is to design it towards the 7 year old market"? 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Its not that bad.
    Many mmo's today use these (kiddy) (childish) (cartoonish) styles and art.

I am much more concerned with the dumbing down of the mmo's in todays age.
    Nothing is a challenge anymore.
    People expect to rush trough dungeons without a wipe, without effort, and if it takes to long the verbal abuse kicks into overdrive.

I remember in EQ / WoW one does not simply rush trough stuff.
    You needed to know wtf was going on or you found yourself dead on arrival.

Style and art comes secondary for me now.
    So far the only mmo i return to is Eve Online.

Just bring more of these (adult) hardcore mmo's to the market....

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I'm not a huge fan of GW2 but your comments look like blatant bait posts. "I came here to discuss a game that is clearly designed with 7 year olds in mind." This sentence alone makes you come off as childish yourself. Don't state things as if they were facts when they are not. 

Smile

This discussion has been closed.