Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not F2P!!

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell

see there is a differene between

paying for something or getting ripped off for something

Coffee place #1, you pay 30$/month and you get 1 coffee per day (Subscription models)

Coffee place #2, you pay 1,25 for each coffee you want (Normal FTP games)

Coffee place #3, you pay 30$/month and you get the right to come into the store, then you have to pay 1,00 for each cup, and then you have to pay another 1$ for the coffee that goes in the cup. (this is SOE's model),

it sounds ridiculous but if you want i can compare each point. with an ingame example.

and that is what we are complaining about, not the fact that we have to pay on a so called FTP, game, we all know they are not free and companies are in it for the money. 

You left out the part where someone is forcing you to enter Coffee Shop 3 or how you need coffee to heat your home. Wait, nevermind... that doesn't happen.

So if Coffee Shop 3 isn't what people want, people go to shops 1 and 2. If Coffee Shop 3 seems to be doing well, then maybe people like what Coffee Shop 3 has to offer.

Just, please, look at it logically. I know that request flies in the face of raging about something not being made specifically for you, but honestly think about it for a minute.

"we all know they are not free and companies are in it for the money."

We do, but I'm not sure you do.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Sony is shady.

People pay a subscription to avoid the cash shop.

People that pay for content piece by peice through the shop will pay more over time but not have to deal with a subscription.

People who play for a free will get the base game with heavy restrictions.

^ this is how it should be.

Sadly these bastards have people buying all this crap out of the Shop only to find out there are still Subscriber only features.

It should be considered criminal.

see there is a differene between

paying for something or getting ripped off for something

Coffee place #1, you pay 30$/month and you get 1 coffee per day (Subscription models)

Coffee place #2, you pay 1,25 for each coffee you want (Normal FTP games)

Coffee place #3, you pay 30$/month and you get the right to come into the store, then you have to pay 1,00 for each cup, and then you have to pay another 1$ for the coffee that goes in the cup. (this is SOE's model),

it sounds ridiculous but if you want i can compare each point. with an ingame example.

and that is what we are complaining about, not the fact that we have to pay on a so called FTP, game, we all know they are not free and companies are in it for the money. 

its the fact that if you pay them money, the game is still unplayable. 

No, your Coffe place #3 is not correct. There is no option #3. You are not paying the $30/month to get the right to come in the store. You get in the store for free. You have the option to do #1 from the start, but you choose not to, so you go with option #2.  If later on down the line you decide that there are things that option #1 offers that aren't available with option #2, you then switch to option #1.  

The thing is, while you are playing the F2P version, you are not paying any monthly fees. Fees that subscribers are paying.  Each DLC is less than the cost of one month of membership.  You can get all the expansion packs for around the same price as 3 months of membership fees. How do you think that it is fair that you would get the same access as a monthly subscriber, that has to continue paying fees once you are done?  It's not.  

The thing is, you can choose the subscription offer at any time prior to buying all the DLC expansions. If you choose to buy the DLC's and continue playing, and want all the benefits of a full membership, then you will end up paying more. That is your decision. It is much the same as people that buy 6month or 1 year memberships. They pay less, because the commit more up front. People that pay by the month pay more.  F2P+DLC players make even less commitment, so they may end up paying more.  However...

You may not end up paying more. If you divide the expansions up over a few months, then you are still paying less than subscribers. If you then subscribe later, you have still payed less. You are not losing anything.  

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Anyone with half a brain knows that nothing in life is free. There are no hidden fees behind SOE's F2P games - pay a sub or pay piece meal to enjoy the full benefits of the game. 

Just suppose a restaurant had a sign up that said "Free To Eat" and you go in and find out that they charge for a table...untensils and a waiter - would you pissed? Would you expect the restaurant owner to stay in business by giving away free food?

15 bucks a month is pennies a day and you can even pay for a game pass ($20) to play ALL of SOE's games with NO restrictions - and SOE are greedy bastards? It's obvious you people are not old enough to remember pumping quaters into games at the arcade - I could blow $20 in an afternoon (and that was in the 80's)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    There is no such thing as free to play, it should be named free acces.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• dregjdregj Member Posts: 12

game is completely not worth subscription

barely worth playing for a few weeks for free

a handful of new missions in three years is not worth a subscription

since i hate raids

and the character maker is an embarrassment

we have a money hungry /vampiric game that should be left to die

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

I'm no fan of the F2P model for sure. I believe in such like 7 day trial or 14 day trial at most then must purchase.

But F2P to me is when you can download a game w/o a need to pay and then play the game for unlimited time even if content have restrictions or is limited. DCUO like many others u can download for free, make an account, log in and play to max level. But yes, you can't do everything in the game. If you want to raid don't expect to be able to w/o spending money.

These games cost a LOT of money to create, publish, run, and make additional content. If everyone could play for free with full access to all the content then who pays for development? Who pays for content creation? Server's? So on and so on.

But this model does work and works very nicely for the most part. It limits content for F2P who still get to play completely free. This increases population to benefits subscribers, this stabalizes the game and keeps it from dieing to quickly. It also gives people a chance to play to top level experiencing the game w/o any cost to see if they feel its worth an investment of a sub. It continually brings in new people where thousands are flopping around looking for something to spend their time on.

My main complaint is the cash shops that have content that subscribers can't get for free, or content that subscribers have to invest decent amounts of time in achieving.

2nd complaint is that it fills the world with a bunch of whiney b*tch kiddies who act like they deserve everything and are d*cks to everyone else. They don't care about being banned or suspended as its only a free account, make another.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

With SoE games they don't really want you playing at max level for free. Its usually more cost effective to subscribe.

The free part is usually the lower levels, which while still treated like second class citizens, are completely playable within the boundaries they set up.

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by evilastro

With SoE games they don't really want you playing at max level for free. Its usually more cost effective to subscribe.

The free part is usually the lower levels, which while still treated like second class citizens, are completely playable within the boundaries they set up.

Not really like a second class citizen. The f2p don't pay their taxes, they aren't core part of what makes the game's base strong or keeps the game strong. They are more like permanent residents who have the basic protections but aren't citizens with the perks a citizen would get.

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    installed it last night on the ps4...deleted it this morning when i realized that i cant use the saved station cash i have for dlc....no thanks.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by rdrakken

No pay trap has ever come close to the amount of money the big true F2P games like D&DO, Runes of Magic, Atlantica Online bring in.

This.

Its not even F2P, its Freemium. there is a difference and we need to stop allowing companies to change the meaning of definitions.

F2P has always been for games that were free, not for games that were partly free. F2P has been used since 1996 but then suddenly Funcom/SoE/EA/Turbine started using it for their failed P2P games around 4 years ago. They only did this because the F2P market had more people in it than the P2P market (over 20 million around the world) so they wanted to get their attention.

As you can see, it didn't work. No Freemium game has come close to the amount of players or revenue as the bigger F2P games have had because F2P players will not sub to unlock the entire game nor are they going to pay for UI features, chat or classes. They buy costumes, mounts and other vanity items.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

alas,

poor guys, moving from one free to play game to the next, only leaving when it becomes apperant that they cannot reach the pinnacle of achievement without spending money, then rushing to the forums to broadcast their frustrations.

This is the  nut of the FTP system folks: YOU GET NOTHING FOR FREE.

For what its worth, DC universe is a fun game, i myself have a ps4 and yes, you can advance in the game as a free to play model, but in the end, you get what you pay for, and if you pay nothing, whelp, you'll get nothing in return, thus making the whole time investment a waste of time and an example of beating your head into a wall.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

So, there's no such thing as a free lunch?

Shocking!!!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Did we really need to necro a 3 month old thread?

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Every one of these U.S. AAA game's f2p options are a joke. And every single one of them has something in the cash shop that is p2w. If you want true f2p game's you will have to suck it up and play an Asian game. You will still have a cash shop but you won't have gameplay restrictions to punish you. And what make's the U.S. AAA game's worse is it's either to get you to sub for 15 a month or spend more a month in the cash shop. Stay away from these game's unless you sub for them. As you lvl up in these so called f2p game's you will soon find that you do have to spend a lot more than 15 dollar's to keep playing your character. Its a big trap. If you don't pay the money your high lvl character will be a gimp next that sub player. These game's are not truly f2p.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by evilastro

Did we really need to necro a 3 month old thread?

It would seem so because some people are not getting the message and 3 months is long enough to bring it back again.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    They call it "free to play your way" which is not at all true, in fact it has always been "free to see $$ way".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• SonreacSonreac Member CommonPosts: 1
    And on that note, I prefer SW: TOR F2P.  I don't play games like that religiously.  That's what Skyrim and FO: New Vegas/FO3 is for. 

Heck, I don't even care that all of these different companies have different payment models.  What I care about is gameplay and mechanics.  If I enjoy the game, I'll play it.  I like the way that SWTOR is set up.  To be honest, I don't collect up millions of credits.  I have a premium account that I got using an Amazon gift card.  Wow, I used a gift card that I received just from doing searches on Bing.  Therefore, other than time spent during the month to "search", I spent no RW money for that gift card, therefore, no money for the package I got for SWTOR.

The entire basis of DCUO is that they want you to subscribe.  Period.  The only way they can call themselves a F2P game is that you can create an account and a character for free.  That's why they call it F2P.  There is nothing in the rule books that says you should also receive the same benefits as those who paid for expansion packs or a subscription.

If I could remember my OLD GW account, I would have that on my laptop.  *sigh*  however, I don't have access to that email account anymore.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

yes the title was sort of a bait(but still kind of on topic). but bare with me. 

i have a legendary account (i pay my 15$/month to have access to the whole game with my 500SC monthly allowance. and this works for me just fine.)

the problems i see are that a free account are heavily penalized, but i do understand that they are a company and they need to make money somehow and force people to buy something from the cash shop, but this is going beyond to the point of having to almost force people into legendary. 

1500 is how much money a free account  can hold. (a full repair bill will cost you more than that at tier 2) and there is no way to enlarge your wallet size even with station cash. sure you can pay like 2,50$ widthdraw from your escrowed money, but remember you can't hold more than 1500

you may not trade or use the AH

and you can't use the DLC content (obviously)

now, if you purchase something 500 Station cash (about 5$ US). you get premium membership

your wallet grows!!! to a cap of 2000...

you can now trade items. but not money

so even if you have bought all 4 DLCs you are still heavily penalized

you can't earn station cash through the game. (at a slower and heavy grinding rate)

so what this does is that you cant keep players, (even paying ones) past a certain point. 

I see it all the time, People once they are done their Tier 1, starting their tier 2, start to see how much penalized they still are, even after purchasing a DLC and items from the cash shop, they quit and you dont see them again. 

my suggestions to have better player retention

increase the wallet cap with each DLC, where each DLC increases the wallet by 25k

with this now yuo can remove the AH and trading limitations. this will cause a better AH economics, bonds between legendary players and Free/Premium players who will offer themselves as raid sponsors, and pay for everyone's armor repair. creating bonds makes people stay and play longer.

add more styles and consumables to the cash shop,

TL;DR

game too penalized in free membership that forces players to go legendary (15$/month) or quit. most choose the later due to lack of benefits. suggestions, reduce the limitations when DLCs are purchased. 

WTF???  Don't play it if its not worth it.  I will pay, and if the subscription keeps the developers working on improving game, insuring its success, longevity and reason to support them good.  Notice WoW, swtor, etc. etc.  Isn't there a 30 day trial period?  F2P?  How do the people who work their asses off survive?  Live under a bridge and eat out of trashcans?  Sorry,  There are so many ftp games to choose from why care about this one?  Maybe its good?  Worth skipping a meal or drinks out for one night a month?  The time spent on the game is cheaper then going out by far.  If your too young to understand then stick with FTP or write your own. 

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.