Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Ask the Devs a question" thread! (Not suggestions)

Comments

• patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Savij
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
    Well I won't say no to a Kill Counter or K/D ratios etc, but showing off id not what this game is about, and from experience showing stuff like this makes people behave very differently in a game...as example, if there would be a K/D stat, then many players watch that stat very often, and try to make sure that they don't die in any engagement, just make sure the stat does not get worse, so their playstyle changes. This is not wh40k - a SM who does not run into battle charging and screaming? I think the problem is pretty clear, where bragging rights and showing off is important in PvP, we also want gameplay to be essentially lore like - for now, lets wait, lets get this tested in alpha and beta and adjust and decide stuff like this then!

hm ya maybe it would change some playstyles

but statistics are always very interesting, maybe make them not visible to others? so noone need to care about their K/D or other stats cause noone else will see them

and for the e-penis lovers we could invent a point system that counts together some stats and equals them into a number that let other people imagine what kind of skill that guy has

just some little thoughts :3

Oh I know what you mean, and i spend quite some time looking into 'rating' systems, developing one for TSW too...in the end it's a very difficult thing. No matter what you do, there will be always people who don't like it. That said, we first need to see what type of game this is - as said, this is not a shooter, so having the stats like in a shooter is maybe not the right way. to mask the stats is also not really a good way, and also, players will always compare each other and try to be better than others, so again - I believe this is something that will need actual players and their feedback while and after playing the game. deciding this now is just not right, because the first priority should be to make a fun game, then we can add chocolate sprinkles on top :)

Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341

sounds alright to me

if you need any help just let us know :)

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• zmalamuthzmalamuth Member Posts: 9

If I may drop an Idea?

My guild comes from Warhammer Online, and we were RvR orriented, and there was this nice add-on, that showed K/D ratio but as Zone Kills/Deaths, not as personal kills, and showed ammount of people that were present in that fight.

We found it interesting, since we usualy fought with 3v1 odds and managed to come on top. We did't really care who killed who, but it was good for forum bragging rights to show the other team SS when they would claim we had help or we had 3 Warbands hiden in bush... etc.

So in accordance with 40K lore, this way people could show some epic defences or last stands of one squad vs half a chapter and have a "verrified ingame tool" to prove their claims.

SO this add-on would show only people that would participate in fight, and number of kills.

Might be worth to give it a go?

• BatpimpBatpimp Member UncommonPosts: 29

Patrick,

I agree this is a very difficult idea to implement without changing players way of playing. For example, In the new Planetside 2 we can immediately see what happened. Players went to the biggest baddest battles, not to participate in the objective, but just stack up their K/D ratio. My vote would be to NOT show this. I would MUCH rather see stats showing accomplishments. For example,

How much healing a person did.

How many captures they did on a point of interest

How long they held a point

How many persons they rezzed

How often they followed orders

etc.

These would be far more useful to me. I imagine being a single Ork in a mass of Orks. If i see a squad of Orks playing the objective and along with doing smart things like capturing points and rezzing as a team player i am MUCH more inclined to see where they are at and who is leading them to try and join them. This "problem", how i see it anyways,  where you display K/D but show nothing of them completing team work is destructive to the idea that this is a TEAM based strategy minded intended game. After speaking with Miguel at PAX, watching his live panel, I was more excited than ever when he said the armies would be Unequal and Unfair...but equally to all. Strategy would HAVE to be involved to overcome the strengths of the other races. I think we should incentivize teamplay and not promote "Stat padding".

On another note I wanted to ask a question. I am not entirely sure it should be directed towards you but perhaps :).I think this game has the capability to change our understanding of immersion in the WH40k universe.

When you guys think and create the orks in your virtual world, what are your ideas on how you plan to animate and integrate the psychic collection of the Orks power? For example, I play a DoW2 (dawn of war 2), a mod to be specific check it out!

dawnofwar.info

In that game you can cast an ability on ork infantry units that creates a buff for surrounding allied orks within a radius. With chivalry as an example, you can press a button on your keyboard to make emotes that other players in that game can hear as a warcry.

Could something like this be implemented? Here is an example,

The immediate problem for orks as you guys mention is trying to get within range of melee to be able to maximize the kill potential of orks. Swarming the enemy while taking losses just on approach is a problem but fluffy for the Orks. Assuming vehicles and stormboyz are not in play, it would be AWESOME to be able to press "Z" on my keyboard,  for example,  create a shout that effects nearby allies and collectively add up our "psychic power" and buff  NEARBY allied orks. I could see something simple like 5% speed increase or 5% incoming ranged dmg reduction. It would create the waagh effect that we would hear orks do AND incentivize the player to be immersed in what a real orkboy would do. Or i can see maybe a player whom is controlling a Warboss give his squad a buff of some kind with his waagh.

It would be so awesome to be immersed in that with my earphones on in the dark!!

I wouldn't even care if the Warboss/Nob  player would be in my squad and just stompin making humiez fly around with his hammer as i charged in and died, probably haha , as long he PTFO! Anyhow i got excited about the possibilities but im not sure if in reality we could make it happen. Just an idea.

Originally posted by zmalamuth

If I may drop an Idea?

My guild comes from Warhammer Online, and we were RvR orriented, and there was this nice add-on, that showed K/D ratio but as Zone Kills/Deaths, not as personal kills, and showed ammount of people that were present in that fight.

We found it interesting, since we usualy fought with 3v1 odds and managed to come on top. We did't really care who killed who, but it was good for forum bragging rights to show the other team SS when they would claim we had help or we had 3 Warbands hiden in bush... etc.

So in accordance with 40K lore, this way people could show some epic defences or last stands of one squad vs half a chapter and have a "verrified ingame tool" to prove their claims.

SO this add-on would show only people that would participate in fight, and number of kills.

Might be worth to give it a go?

I like this idea. reminds me of DAoC.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

I totaly agree, shown k/d ratio just borns elitist.

but some numbers need to be seen, when the first campain is over, like how much people died/killed by that faction...etc.

• Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

I agree with the hypothesis that k/d changes players and the community behavior, but i like to see a way to see/show how decent a player is. So I propose to have a score or combat rating that should take all actions things a player does into consideration, this would be a mathematical formula that would include kills, deaths, revives, heals, captured objectives, attacked objectives, etc...

an Example:

A player could have two internal hidden variables, "positiveScore" and "negativeScore". Each time they do something positive(kill an enemy, revive, capture an objective,etc..) it gets added to the positiveScore, each time the player does something negative(death, losing an objective, friendly fire, team kill) it gets added to the negativeScore.

Combat Rating = positiveScore / negativeScore

This way you get all the advantages from having a score without the disadvantages of detrimental things like k/d, it just shows your general effectiveness.

It also allows for interesting things like having hidden multipliers to add a little extra(bonus points) when you do things in a certain way, like "capturing an objective without dieing", etc...

PS: really looking forward the the official forum... it needs a suggestion area that allows players to vote for the ideas.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

Still, there are bunch of people who would say: "your rank is too low" and dont get invite or just kick out from party...

So, my option is "don't need any score what show how good anyone is" unless something about leadership or commanding

• DecisiveRaindropDecisiveRaindrop Member Posts: 17
    There will always be people who are the elitists who will continually put down people due to skill, but what if we did a ranking system for the guilds, listing awesome feats of awesomeness. This way, there will be recognition in the community. There will always be the elite guilds that are very over the top pro, but there will also be aspiring guilds out there doing great things too. This also has the benefit of bringing the guild together to achieve the impossible, so they might get some recognition. There will also be those guilds who would not be so successful, but unfortunately not everyone will get fair chances for becoming a more respected player, but that is life. It may sound a bit cruel, but not everyone wins.
    Originally posted by Sive0n

I agree with the hypothesis that k/d changes players and the community behavior, but i like to see a way to see/show how decent a player is. So I propose to have a score or combat rating that should take all actions things a player does into consideration, this would be a mathematical formula that would include kills, deaths, revives, heals, captured objectives, attacked objectives, etc...

an Example:

A player could have two internal hidden variables, "positiveScore" and "negativeScore". Each time they do something positive(kill an enemy, revive, capture an objective,etc..) it gets added to the positiveScore, each time the player does something negative(death, losing an objective, friendly fire, team kill) it gets added to the negativeScore.

This way you get all the advantages from having a score without the disadvantages of detrimental things like k/d, it just shows your general effectiveness.

It also allows for interesting things like having hidden multipliers to add a little extra(bonus points) when you do things in a certain way, like "capturing an objective without dieing", etc...

PS: really looking forward the the official forum... it needs a suggestion area that allows players to vote for the ideas.

but that would feed what quotheraving said

they would try to avoid everything what pulls down your score

losing an objective pulls your score down > oh then i dont go defend something

dieing pulls your score down > oh then i just wait here and put my sniperrifle on

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

an Example:

While I think an idea like this is useful, I think it would detract from the developers time to balance the game. For instance, I would MUCH rather have them have a simple idea implemented. Your checks and balances is great in theory but I would much rather have a snapshot in 2 seconds of whom has done what. As in captured points, rezzed other players. In clear writing i just want an absolute amount.

Problems i see with making it TOO in depth i see is :Time wasted for developers working numbers and checks and balances instead of worrying about if people are having fun, if they are immersed, and if team play is being incentivized.

Or another problem could be is:  what is more important rezzing players or killing players? Following orders or going rogue and causing mayhem? I think thats up to opinion. In this way i think its better to have a simple layout with a snapshot of whats going on and LET YOU decide whats important. I imagine more things going wrong and adding more details like this could only end up  making things worse....sometimes LESS is better and more is worse.

an Example:

dieing pulls your score down > oh then i just wait here and put my sniperrifle on

Exactly. In all my years of gaming i have learned a few things. PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS ALWAYS GAME THE SYSTEM. It is better to give them NO OPTIONS than to give them too many, especially when the game is brand new.

I do however that Squads and GUILDS/CLANs should be rewarded with team work..individual players whom do good a battle field could just get maybe a title after their name like in guildwars or aesthetic changes. In the match though just give me the gist and the important things...Strategic points..squad leaders names..and troop movement. I dont need to know you got 43 headshots.

Originally posted by Batpimp

an Example:

Exactly. In all my years of gaming i have learned a few things. PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS ALWAYS GAME THE SYSTEM. It is better to give them NO OPTIONS than to give them too many, especially when the game is brand new.

I do however that Squads and GUILDS/CLANs should be rewarded with team work..individual players whom do good a battle field could just get maybe a title after their name like in guildwars or aesthetic changes. In the match though just give me the gist and the important things...Strategic points..squad leaders names..and troop movement. I dont need to know you got 43 headshots.

It's nice of you guys that you discuss these things, especially since I am very keen on getting a good system here, but I think the thread is more for questions, rather then suggestions and discussions.

that said - I agree, the system we will make is not finished, we will invest more time in it for sure, but it's not the time yet to set them in stone. We are listening to all of you and we will make sure as many players as possible will be happy with the system in the end - that is for sure!

And just as conclusion to this: thx all for the interest and the dedication you show, I am sure together we will make a great game everyone can be proud of!

Patrick Balthazar

What are the actual things The devs are working in? :P

Maybe something we can help with? :3

Im so exited! I want to be a gear in your developer engine!

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

we are currently focusing on the combat experience - so everything that makes the combat fun and smooth, good looking, etc.

Patrick Balthazar

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Why did you pick all the inferior races? Tau or go home.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Wuts da point a' payin' if yer gunna let folks play da BEST race fer nuffin'? Cuz e'ryone knows ORKS is DA BEST!
  • Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

we are currently focusing on the combat experience - so everything that makes the combat fun and smooth, good looking, etc.

Unfortunately as much as we would like to help in that specific area, that's something we can't give opinions or advices until we gain experience on the subject, unless you give some of us alpha access(yes please!) so we get some hands-on experience. image

do you want to have or thinking about a "weapon jam" mechanic ingame like other WH40k games have?

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

Unfortunately as much as we would like to help in that specific area, that's something we can't give opinions or advices until we gain experience on the subject, unless you give some of us alpha access(yes please!) so we get some hands-on experience. image

haha, yes believe me, I wish we would be ready for that, but way too early ...

Patrick Balthazar

do you want to have or thinking about a "weapon jam" mechanic ingame like other WH40k games have?

we probably won't have any random jamming like e.g. in space hulk. at this point it's just to early to say we won't have any weapon jamming.

Patrick Balthazar

• OdolusasOdolusas Member Posts: 30

Savij - weapon jam ,now that is a good question and i think it should work like in all Stalker games where every weapon that shoots SOLID ammo has the small chance to jam. But as you use weapon more it degrades so if you dont repair it, it will jam more and more the more damaged it is from usage. This connects nicely whit durability on equipment that i have presented in my tread.

• grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    i imagine no "jam" but overheating, full auto weapon  and energy  weapon with an heat bar if you shoot and never stop the weapon wil overheating and need more time for recovering (or for plasma explode whi not? you waste a lot of ammo and take damage instead of losing the weapon )  

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

Originally posted by Odolusas

Savij - weapon jam ,now that is a good question and i think it should work like in all Stalker games where every weapon that shoots SOLID ammo has the small chance to jam. But as you use weapon more it degrades so if you dont repair it, it will jam more and more the more damaged it is from usage. This connects nicely whit durability on equipment that i have presented in my tread.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

As for questions,

My last question, which I asked earlier but might have been overlooked, will you be including a mechanic that takes into consideration the ork Waaghhh?

Will there be knockdown or knockback abilities. For example, If I am a terminator or a Knob will i be able to knockback/knockdown weaker units?

• OdolusasOdolusas Member Posts: 30

For non solid ammo weapons like melta,plasma and lascanon it would be like:

-Plasma would get hot more often, and hurt the player more and more often the less it durability is(so like in the tabletop rules but it happens more often if in lower durability state).

-Melta and Lascanon would use more and more ammo the more durability they lose if not repaired.

But for example if any weapon would break down completely, you would have to replace its main mechanism like in my tread on durability on armor (ofc if you MAINTAIN the gun regularly it will never break down, but i think the last step in durability(breaking down) should exist in game so that it would give the GAME more realism).

I know this is ask the Devs tread, but i like to give solutions more than to ask questions so...And Savij question on jamming weapons was something that must be answered and found SOLUTION for how to work, so i proposed this one.

Batpimp - why not? I would like to take care of my armor and weapons. And i would not like of them to be just some invulnerable object that i put on and dont care for the rest of the game. Any man who served the army will tell you what happens to you dont  take care of it by hand of ENEMY and or SUPERIORS, as one will kill you on spot if your weapon jams, and other will punish you (for example clean toilet at BEST) if you neglect your duties as soldier. This game should be no different i think.

Being punished by your superiors for breaking new toy they gave you to kill the enemy ,hmmm... can this be implemented in game also?Orks would not care i guess but other armies would.