Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You're thoughts on planned gear score

Comments

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by bubbabill
    just so glad im not paying them 15 dollars a month for a gs system.   it ruined wow for me and and i will never touch a game that has it in it.  just to many elitist pigs out there for me. 

You do realize the reason they did this, locking content with item level locks, is so that the game tells you when you are able to run an endgame instance instead of the elitist pig, as you put it.

This is no different than level locking nooby dungeons.

So now you DONT have to deal with elitist pigs when doing endgame since if you don't have the gear needed you wont be able to queue up or enter the instance.  Problem solved.

Even without a numerical gear score people still would check your gear so the lack of this system doesn't even fix the issue of people not wanting to run instances with under geared players.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    just so glad im not paying them 15 dollars a month for a gs system.   it ruined wow for me and and i will never touch a game that has it in it.  just to many elitist pigs out there for me. 

It did non ruin WoW, it only stopped people from trying to get carried by better players and all games should have that. It also stopped people from going from 0 to hero in a few instance runs, though it is still possible with raids. Seriously, if you cannot get the required gear maybe then as a player, you lack something. Everytime I see someone complain about gearscore I think that person was just a terrible gamer.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

It's a good thing. If you are managing your gear, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you need to reach a certain ilevel...it gives you a goal. Goals are good. Embrace it instead of complaining about it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Hitman211

You do realize the reason they did this, locking content with item level locks, is so that the game tells you when you are able to run an endgame instance instead of the elitist pig, as you put it.

So now you DONT have to deal with elitist pigs when doing endgame since if you don't have the gear needed you wont be able to queue up or enter the instance.  Problem solved.

Even without a numerical gear score people still would check your gear so the lack of this system doesn't even fix the issue of people not wanting to run instances with under geared players.

It's not just the content that this has an affect on though. It also has an influence over guilds as well. Gear score starts becoming an issue that governs recruitment. Which it's not hard to see where that leaves the have-not's. It's hard to gear out without the support of a good guild, you're left dealing with PUGS and wipe after wipe.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by neobahamut20
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

They've spent years of intensive recovery effort, people replacements, significant financial outlay,  just to come along with another gs->raid clone mmo?

They "looked at what players were playing and what they liked, so they put it in a final fantasy flavor. Please look forward to it!"

Please look backward to it?

I've nothing against the gear -> raid progression, played it for years in many mmo's.

But that's the point - many mmo's. All SE have done is provide a wow clone under the FF label. Was honestly hoping all their time and effort would have produced something a bit different.

But maybe their past catastrophe with this game is the reason they went down the comfort zone route. They tried to be different first time and it bit them hard, so retreat back to a well worn no risk format.

I hope other game developers don't follow suit, have the courage to expand the box so we don't just see a future conveyor belt of me too games.

Sorry about your shattered dreams.

Shattered Dreams

No big deal already playing raid progression mmo's. No need to start the trek with another one, Rift will do for now.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

They've spent years of intensive recovery effort, people replacements, significant financial outlay,  just to come along with another gs->raid clone mmo?

They "looked at what players were playing and what they liked, so they put it in a final fantasy flavor. Please look forward to it!"

Please look backward to it?

I've nothing against the gear -> raid progression, played it for years in many mmo's.

But that's the point - many mmo's. All SE have done is provide a wow clone under the FF label. Was honestly hoping all their time and effort would have produced something a bit different.

But maybe their past catastrophe with this game is the reason they went down the comfort zone route. They tried to be different first time and it bit them hard, so retreat back to a well worn no risk format.

I hope other game developers don't follow suit, have the courage to expand the box so we don't just see a future conveyor belt of me too games.

Sorry about your shattered dreams.

Shattered Dreams

No big deal already playing raid progression mmo's. No need to start the trek with another one, Rift will do for now.

I too have nothing against gear raid progression end game but it is a problem when that is all there is. Rift however realised this in first year and branched out into various end game activity.

Since release i have hardly participated in dungeon grind in RIFT and yet have so much to do at lvl cap. I am afraid that FFXIV ARR is going to lose a lot of players once free month is over.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Gear Score as an addon was a bad situation. One I care not to live through again. I get shivers just recalling the moronic, idiotic crap players pulled. Like Hunters buying the tanking rifle off the AH because it had a higher GS not higher stats. And the freaking dumbass PuG raid leaders. Calling for GS posts with replies to join. Even if the raid was meant for lower geared players. But still wanted a faceroll..........in a PuG.....LOL.

I was so glad Blizz incorporated gear based lockouts after that bullshit. And I can only hope this will be the case here too.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I am fine with this.  I don't really see why people have a problem with it....
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    if the gear check score is relatively low to get into a certain dungeon then i am fine with it. like for example you need to wear at least lvl 30 gear in order to play in a lvl 40 dungeon. i hope it will stop people from wearing lvl 15 armor trying to play in a lvl 50 dungeon because they are saving money and think that mid-lvl gears are useless.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
    I am fine with this.  I don't really see why people have a problem with it....

Because they are fantasizing that what will end up happening is that they are going to try to do a dungeon and someone will look at his gear score then proceed to fill his chat box with profanity like some busted gold spammer.

All it is doing is removing the need for people to check gear.  Since you wont be able to enter the dungeon without proper gear.

Just the same as the game preventing  level 15 from entering the level 20 dungeon.

Yeah some will be pissed their hardcore friends wont be able to run them through endgame stuff so they can skip gearing up progression...which defeats the purpose of playing imo.  Not that you cant levelsync down and help them, which is what should happen.

Do people think that endgame wouldn't have people inspecting your gear anyway?  Ive already seen it happen, had some scrub trying to do garuda with level 30 gear(I don't know how either since the game hands you gear early on), healer inspected before hand, said that guy isn't geared enough we will fail and left.  50min queue time for DPS down the drain because the guy didn't know any better.  That is WAY worse than locking someone out who isn't geared.

Even in games with no gear score this happens.  I remember in RIFT I wanted to join an endgame pve guild.  Leader inspected my gear, told me "you need better X,Y,Z before you can join" I wasn't geared enough.  Though they were nice allowed me to enter voice coms and run dungeons with their guild to gear up, which I did, and once geared I was invited and able to run with them though hard modes and then raids.  They inspected all guildies before forming a raid group.  There was no gear score at the time (not sure if they added one since it makes sense to)

If you hate the concept of progressing via gear, might want to skip themeparks all together.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    TERA had this in their game from the get-go. You had to reach a certain gear level to get into dungeons or raids, so I don't see the big problem with all of this.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I dont care about and item level requirement for dungeons and primals as much as I care about people using that number to determine how good you are end game. I hate that games have come down to "looking for a 161+ dps/tank/healer" (tera item level reference). I know that it helps weed out really poorly geared people but I also hate that I can have 1 item level difference than what is considered "good" and be pushed aside.

Not a good move in my opinion and I am a little annoyed at the fact that itll display your average item level. Not that I am even close to cap (lvl 35 Bard, 29 Marauder) but still...luckily the community in this game is exceptional.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Hitman211

again i will not give a game my money if it has stupid shit like this in it.  i would just rather give it to a thief then the company.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

If there is any logic to be had on this forum, you will realize that extremely undergeared people are queing for stuff they think is do-able and wiping everyone. That is why this is necessary.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

The poll needs a "don't care" option.  Raiding holds absolutely no appeal to me.  Once my character hits maxed level, I don't see the point of running the same set of dungeons over and over again.  At that point, I see no point in it.  Short of new content and more levels is my character going to develop any more? Nope.  Have I finished the storyline? Most likely or I've gotten as far as I'm going to get in it.  Why do I need to grind for better gear? *shrugs*

Currently, I've paused in the storyline and am working some on gathering and crafting.  I may work some on another combat class but not sure since I can't combine the skills from that class with bard.  I've enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV so far for what it is, a Final Fantasy game.  Beyond that...I haven't decided yet how I will proceed with the game.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I understand why its needed but do not like it at all.

It cuts down my choice how to play my job.

With my Monk for example i try to stack up on Skill speed which leads to some armors being used for longer since the higher lvl one which should replace the one i am using does not offer skill speed.

Right now i am using a 28 pants with lvl 33 since its the best pants for skill speed i can have right now but with the GS system i might not be able to use it anymore since the lvl might count as to low even tho the pants is the best for me.

Maybe its a very deep well thought out Gear Score system that will take all this things to determine if you are good to go or not but i fear that it will be just some lvl stepstones by which it will let you join or not.

I also hope that the GS will be generous i want the fights to be tough dont force everyone to have armor which will make it too easy.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I really play this game for the crafting and social aspects of it.  Raiding and gear aquisition is really second for me, but I still find it fun.
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

I understand why its needed but do not like it at all.

It cuts down my choice how to play my job.

With my Monk for example i try to stack up on Skill speed which leads to some armors being used for longer since the higher lvl one which should replace the one i am using does not offer skill speed.

Right now i am using a 28 pants with lvl 33 since its the best pants for skill speed i can have right now but with the GS system i might not be able to use it anymore since the lvl might count as to low even tho the pants is the best for me.

Maybe its a very deep well thought out Gear Score system that will take all this things to determine if you are good to go or not but i fear that it will be just some lvl stepstones by which it will let you join or not.

I also hope that the GS will be generous i want the fights to be tough dont force everyone to have armor which will make it too easy.

I hear what your saying, and I did the same thing for my dragoon only with crit. Ill be 50 tomorrow, and my gear now has both crit and skill speed.

My point is that this will really only effect endgame, raids and hard modes. By then you should have some seriously decent gear.  Your not going to really have the choice by then, as an upgrade will probably give you everything you need and more..gear gets loaded with every stat you could need...hell my gear has determination and I had though that was a mage stat, on top of all the base stats I need.

Its not going to limit what you can wear, just that you wont be able to start raiding unless you have all the appropriate gear out of the hard mode instances...and the fact that they are doing this means that you WILL need it...and its still going to be hard with that gear.

I don't think this will mean that you will be locked out of a storyline dungeon, this only applied to endgame where your level stops and progression becomes gear based.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Time to remind everyone, yet again, that end game content is not possible to do without a certain gear threshold.

I'd say stop being stubborn scrubs and put in the time in so you aren't wasting ours, but thankfully SE will do it for me.

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by lufiaz
    I definitely hate locking out content for a specific gear score only. I can get around it if it's a duty finder/LFG run. But if I want to do a normal run with my friends/guildies then then let us find out the hard way how far our raiding skills can compensate for gear score. I remember reading about a guild that finished the first 4 bosses of ICC raid in WOW with blue gears only back in the day so yeah, GS be damned.

^^^^^

This.

The argument that having a GS-lock on a dungeon will prevent the better-geared players from bitching at the lesser-geared players is fallacious.  Anybody who bitches at another player over a game is a tool, and tools don't need a reason to bitch.  It's just what they do.  

Give them GS-locks on a dungeon and they'll bitch about your build.  Change your build to the current FOTW and they'll bitch about your rotation.  Change your rotation to suit them and they'll bitch about the fact that you don't know the fight as well as they do.

You can't win against a tool.  So let them have their GS-locks so that the only ones they can bitch at is each other.  

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll all rage-quit.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    No problem with gear score if it's for ques...however, if a group manually wants to go in with someone that has lower gear, then that should be allowed.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by SirBalin
    No problem with gear score if it's for ques...however, if a group manually wants to go in with someone that has lower gear, then that should be allowed.

Now work with me on this one here.

What if:

The content is so hard as to actually require that gear level to succeed?

I do remember Yoshi stating that some endgame content would make you cry its so hard.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Gearscore is a terrible idea.

I don't want to be judged based on the "scorE" of my gear, but rather my ability to play the character.

Nothing I hated more than being laughed at because of my gear score.  Or asked in every attempt to get a part, no matter what kind of party  "Yo bro, what's your gear score?"...."Oh its only ###?"  "haha go get better gear noob."

If they introduce gear score, I will introduce myself to a new game.  (drastic?) maybe, but that is just 1 step down the wrong path.  And unless they turn around and go down a different path, I believe the gearscore path will end in dissopointment and further elitism.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Dragim

Gearscore is a terrible idea.

I don't want to be judged based on the "scorE" of my gear, but rather my ability to play the character.

Nothing I hated more than being laughed at because of my gear score.  Or asked in every attempt to get a part, no matter what kind of party  "Yo bro, what's your gear score?"...."Oh its only ###?"  "haha go get better gear noob."

If they introduce gear score, I will introduce myself to a new game.  (drastic?) maybe, but that is just 1 step down the wrong path.  And unless they turn around and go down a different path, I believe the gearscore path will end in dissopointment and further elitism.

There will be gear checks regardless....if you think your getting into harder content just because of your skill but have terrible gear you obviously have no idea how this game works.  Gear makes a huge difference, just like skill.  Good players use their skill to obtain said good gear. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Good players use their skill to obtain said good gear. 

Oh man, How warped has the community become.

You obtain gear through RNG. There is no skill involved, you continually play the numbers of probability and chance until an item is yours.

The vibe i get from some posters: "bad players are directly linked with bad gear"
    is equally ridiculous.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development