Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't get too excited, it's not what you think, sadly.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

This is a cash shop infinity engine game using a top-down perspective, and grid based tactical gameplay.  It's trying to emulate to some extent the PnP ruleset, which if it does well I will enjoy, but not what I'm looking for in a real Shadowrun MMO.

Which someone could easily license, they give the name out to anyone these days, maybe someday.

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by adam_nox

This is a cash shop infinity engine game using a top-down perspective, and grid based tactical gameplay.  It's trying to emulate to some extent the PnP ruleset, which if it does well I will enjoy, but not what I'm looking for in a real Shadowrun MMO.

Which someone could easily license, they give the name out to anyone these days, maybe someday.

So if it has the shadow run rules, but its not what your looking for then what are you looking for in a Shadowrun MMO? (I'm guessing first person shooter as the only other things you mention is its top down and grid based tactical like xcom)

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

The game will allow you to play just about any of the known SR TT builds and do so with continuous running. It's top down 3rd person isometric(ish) and looks pretty good. It's made by the folks who did the Jagged Alliance series. Anyone that posts here that trying to play up the cash shop or that it will be pay to win...don't listen to them. They are either talking crap to try to look big or just flat out liars.

Cliffhangar  has stated on their forums and in interviews they are going out of their way for that not to happen. It's at the forefront of their thought process when implementing things.

No, this will not be a themepark MMO.

It's not a traditional MMO either.

It's turn based online shadowrun with persistant, upgradeable characters. You'll be able to group with other players to do runs, or attempt them solo. You can also hire NPCs.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• oscarianoscarian Member Posts: 116

I also just wanted to mention in response to the OP, the real power of MMO games is the fact that they have a living breathing (online) community, and as such, any game that has a good community [1] can do more than just enhance the game play experience, but indeed, enhance the development experience also.

My first even Pen 'n Paper RPG was Cyberpunk, back in 1990 (the same time I discovered Battletech, but that game I played with minitures). The writeups I've seen so far of this game makes it seem to me like it'd be much more "role play" centric than "themepark" centric, meaning it's going to take active (player) character involvement to make the game "buzz".

I'm definitely looking forward to playing my soon to be created toon, Shadow H. Mask. I've been playing Eve Online lately but I'm just not quite up to that level of "geek genes required to win" that Eve Online practically demands. (I mean, you have to study mathematical forumulas and technical graphs just to know how the gain the most amount of "upper handedness" out of PVP/Ship fittings. That's some serious brain power I just can't be bothered using for a gaming experience.)

Anyway, I'm hopeful that Shadowrun Online (and other version) will satisfy my thirst for a proper Sandbox gaming experience in something that isn't "just another fantasy world" environment.

See you in game hopefully OP!

/Oscarian

[1]: (By good I don't necessarily mean "carebear" but "forthright and thoughtful".)

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Sounds Exactly what I am looking for in a SR game. I will have to look into this game, man Shadowrun brings back some great memories with my old table top gaming group.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Errr think the OP is confusing the recently released Shadowrun Returns, with the not yet in testing Shadowrun Online.

I play returns, and am a kickstarter for the online. 

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Who knows what the OP is looking for in a "real" MMO. I can tell you this, though. Jordan Weisman sure isn't going to make  piece of themepark trash with the IP. He knows who butters his bread and that audience would demand sandbox, irrespective of any wanna be fiscal gurus hear claiming there is more money in a AAA themepark. There is something else other than money, and that's something those folks will never understand.

As for Micro$oft leasing the IP out for some other company to make a themepark trash version, I doubt it. THe last SR title that strayed away from the IP's roots crashed hard. They now how their proof that if you stray away from the SR core crowd, you'll flop. That core crowd is old school, sandbox, turn based, table-top.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Who knows what the OP is looking for in a "real" MMO. I can tell you this, though. Jordan Weisman sure isn't going to make  piece of themepark trash with the IP. He knows who butters his bread and that audience would demand sandbox, irrespective of any wanna be fiscal gurus hear claiming there is more money in a AAA themepark. There is something else other than money, and that's something those folks will never understand.

As for Micro$oft leasing the IP out for some other company to make a themepark trash version, I doubt it. THe last SR title that strayed away from the IP's roots crashed hard. They now how their proof that if you stray away from the SR core crowd, you'll flop. That core crowd is old school, sandbox, turn based, table-top.

I think the OP was trying to point out that it isnt MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE.

It's a tactics game like X-com or the earlier Shadowrun games that has an online component with a P2W theme.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by psiic

Errr think the OP is confusing the recently released Shadowrun Returns, with the not yet in testing Shadowrun Online.

Playing Returns as well (need to end the original game and then start on the expansion, but ArcheAge now kinda eats most of my gaming time :s). I have also just bough the onlne on the Steam sale and I hope this game is at least as good as the returns game.

For PnP gaming, Shadowrun never really grabbed me (I was more an AD&D2e player), though I did like the CGG of the setting a lot (which sadly only had one main set and a small expansion). But the new computer games look very promising and somehow make me sad I never played the PnP when FASA was still around...

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by psiic

Shadowrun Online is in testing, it has been for a few months now.

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71
    SRO is not mmorpg, it is more like "multiplayer tactical turn-based game with some rpg elements", Fallout Tactics in shadowrun flavor. It's not bad, missions are fine, graphics & music are fine too. But it is not World of Shadowrun.
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Tipicle and unfortunate. I really liked the old Shadowrun games, especially the old segagen verson of it. The cyberspace was more indepth and complex. Sadly all these new shadowrun games seem very simplfied, dumbed down and kind of boring.