Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proof the game isn't P2W!

2»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by pacov
    How much do they pay you to post these things? But seriously the game is P2W no matter if you can do well or not in pvp. If players have a huge advantage by using money I consider it P2W.

agree 100%

Ok, let's compare NWO with some other popular games for example.

GW2. We roll characters at the same time, however, I will use real money converted to in-game gold to do the following: Craft my way to 80 in 24 hours with mats bought from Trade post, put on my exotic crafted armor (or rare Cultural armor) and buy Siege weapons blueprints. Let's meet in WvWvW after these 24 hours. Who will win, I wonder?

WoW. We both have fresh max level characters, However, I have bought in Blizzard store 10 Guardian cubs for 100$ total and traded them for in-game gold. I use this gold to buy epic crafted armor set and meet in you in PVP. Who will win, I wonder?

1. who said gw2 is not a p2w too? at least in some cases.

2. in wow you cant craft epic pvp gear. you just can buy it with conquest points, only available through pvp activities and ratings

care to explain where GW2 is P2W?

and OP if you have to prove if a game is not P2W, and need to search for proves of it, the game is P2W

Its about the same level of P2W as Neverwinter. Convenience items that progress your character faster and appearance items.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

People seem to be under the false illusion that other games do not let people with money progress faster, you guys do realise that in pretty much every MMO out there, there are people using real life cash to buy things instead of earning them. The only difference with F2P games is that the developer makes the money instead of farmers and powerlevelers.

When I played WoW for a while, every 5th group would have a new player who had purchased their character or gotten it off a friend. Some wearing full end game raid gear. In EQ2 I had a full hard mode raid geared Fury in my group who didnt know how to cure. Pretending that this game is P2W because you can progress faster is just silly. All MMOs have that.

The only thing that makes a game P2W is if you cant get the same power level through normal play. Which is not the case for Neverwinter.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

If pay 2 win means getting ahead faster than others by spending money than MANY games are pay to win

If pay to win means you can buy items from the CS that make you more powerfull than someone of equal level could obtain by not paying then its pay 2 win..

my view on pay 2 win goes to option #2

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    How much do they pay you to post these things? But seriously the game is P2W no matter if you can do well or not in pvp. If players have a huge advantage by using money I consider it P2W.

agree 100%

Ok, let's compare NWO with some other popular games for example.

GW2. We roll characters at the same time, however, I will use real money converted to in-game gold to do the following: Craft my way to 80 in 24 hours with mats bought from Trade post, put on my exotic crafted armor (or rare Cultural armor) and buy Siege weapons blueprints. Let's meet in WvWvW after these 24 hours. Who will win, I wonder?

WoW. We both have fresh max level characters, However, I have bought in Blizzard store 10 Guardian cubs for 100$ total and traded them for in-game gold. I use this gold to buy epic crafted armor set and meet in you in PVP. Who will win, I wonder?

1. who said gw2 is not a p2w too? at least in some cases.

2. in wow you cant craft epic pvp gear. you just can buy it with conquest points, only available through pvp activities and ratings

care to explain where GW2 is P2W?

and OP if you have to prove if a game is not P2W, and need to search for proves of it, the game is P2W

I think the point is that GW2 isn't P2W, but people will always find a way to describe parts of any MMO where you can buy stuff with real money in a way that, to them, is the very definition of a P2W MMO.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by evilastro

People seem to be under the false illusion that other games do not let people with money progress faster, you guys do realise that in pretty much every MMO out there, there are people using real life cash to buy things instead of earning them.

Well, in this case point is that in some games it's legitimate (and sold to you by developers/publishers) and in some games it's a violation of EULA or some other rule. In later case that illegal activity can have some unpleasant consequences. As in RL there are corruption, drugs/weapons/younameit black market, slavery and etc. So you can get thing that you normally can't get or get thing a way faster or without any problems. Demand creates it's own supply.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I have still yet to see a single thread proving either side of this coin toss. I have an idea, play the game and see if you enjoy it. If you feel its P2W and find it is your job to warn everyone, then create a thread with valid reasons and proof.

So far all I see is blind hate because its either a PWE game or its P2W because its F2P. I don't like P2W games but lets face it, can anyone actually create a thread with valid information instead of basing everything on assumptions?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've played several "P2W" MMOs, and none of them seemed to be pay to win for me...I don't PvP, so there's no competition to win at...

Edit: MMOs aren't about "winning"  That's why they never end...you never win.

• BrodieBroosBrodieBroos Member Posts: 32
    I don't gwt how this game is p2w. Just because it has a cash shop doesn't make it p2w. They do allow uou to level faster with the cash shop but their are only cosmetic items for sale there. Not sure how this is p2w.
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    [mod edit]  But seriously the game is P2W no matter if you can do well or not in pvp. If players have a huge advantage by using money I consider it P2W.

have you even played the game  ?  if so for how long ?  I think a lot of people weigh in and really have no idea what they are talking about.  I say this because I play the game, and I would not classify it as P2W.   But, by all means, if you played the game and want to give EXAMPLES of how and why it is P2W, have at it.

Originally posted by Agoden

I'd say the game is "pay to get ahead" rather then "pay to win" It's ridiculous how slow some things are to get unless you pay, and i don't think respecs are available in game without paying at all, which is insane.

It means that before ever even playing the game and making your first character, you're pretty much forced to theory craft the crap out of everything.

not to mention the Mounts in PvP, it costs millions of astral diamonds to upgrade your horse in game, where as anyone who pays gets it within seconds which may not be a big deal in the long run, but right now It's creating massive imbalances.

I'm playing the game, and i could use the cash shop, but i simply refuse to because i do not support It's business model.

Though the game is pretty enjoyable, i hope it fails, hard.. 

Cosmetic cash shops and maybe XP boosters or GTFO in my book.

Ffs, i just want subscriptions back.. Tired of getting half a game.

"pay to get ahead"  -- and really to further qualify that in most cases, just to get ahead quicker.  Again game is not P2W, but they do need to make some cash and I see no issues with how they are doing so.  good game and so far, IMO fair enough F2P model. 

Some people will complain about anything and thats why they will never be taken seriously.  Its just like if you say something, no matter how incorrect it is, enough times people will believe it.  This games F2P model doesn't make you pay to unlock spell tiers (thanks SOE), or pay to unlock the UI bar (thanks Bioware/EA).  the cash shop is rather fair in its offerings and you can even sell in game AD for Zen. 
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by BrodieBroos
    I don't gwt how this game is p2w. Just because it has a cash shop doesn't make it p2w. They do allow uou to level faster with the cash shop but their are only cosmetic items for sale there. Not sure how this is p2w.

Any sort of advatage is P2W no matter how minor.  Health Stones and the sigil whatevers to get the top enchants that have a 1% default success are indicators of P2W not to mention potion buffs that provide significant advantage.

Is this game breaking or mandatory?  No.  Does this provide an advantage, no matter the size?  Yes.

Fanbois will defend their precious MMOs saying this isn't mandatory or can be earned even though earning is extremely grindsome and will suit no one unless you have not life and live in a basement.

GW2 is a cosmetic and time efficency only CS, Neverwinter is anything but that.  Is it one of the worst?  No, but it certainly not one of the better ones.  DDO is another one that is a cosmetic and time efficency CS but is riddled with MTs for content which isn't a bad thing since it provides a revenue and not having to nickle and dime customers at every chance they can get like in Neverwinter.  Sure there are stat tomes and other things but never any gear.  Course with the Astral Shard auction house it is straight up P2W now.

Cryptic or PWE went greedy with the CS, they are squeezing every ounce of profit out of the players without having to charge content (which is underwhealming at best) or classes.  CS in Neverwinter is way too intrusive.

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    You can pay to be more powerful but if you suck you still suck just are more powerful when you learn more about runes and upgrading you will understand till then good job & good luck. Cant you win without even getting a kill? I dont understand the people that say its not P2W when clearly you can pay real money to be more powerful isnt that what P2W means?
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Updated OP to answer questions asked in the thread.
  • SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

Good game. But.. P2Enjoy ( i.e. 10 dollars per inventory bag) and borderline P2W. Borderline due to most cash-buffs being PvE centered ( i.e. double-level companions,  that are also buffing the player AND having spells - stats).

Now..ask yourselves. When was the last time you saw a new mount/dye/awesome-thing that was not in the shop for cash/zen? 

Do you really want to keep investing your time in an mmo thats productively dead, except for those willing to spend a lot?

And even if you ARE willing to spend hundreds in this.. Would you? Knowing that this is a game bound to die-off in the not-so-far future, due to players getting bored of grinding 1 month to get a freaking inventory bag for "free"? Well, some of you would. 

As for the rest of us.. download it if you have nothing else you would like to play and/or you are a DnD fun, It will, easily, hold your attention long enough for the next real mmo to arrive. Do not make the mistake of investing in this though. Or any other game by this company for that matter.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

I'm not sure why the P2W argument keeps coming up. It's "pay not to have to grind for 6 months to get top-tier runes". The "advantage" offered by said runes are minimal. You can do that without paying, if you truly hate your life and possess no money whatsoever.

However, that's not the issue with NW. It's a shallow game where crafting is virtually useless, there are no alternative activities worth doing once you've gotten T2/GG gear or top-tier PvP gear. You would never visit the lower level areas once past that level bracket, leaving you with about 2 zones to explore.

The one thing they had going (Foundry) is all but obsolete for top-level players and is itself useless compared to developer content for leveling (you level 5x as quickly doing dev content), so that's ruined as well.

It's frustrating because they had awesome ideas and then reduced it to the bare minimum. And, ultimately, that's the game you get - the bare minimum. I'm reasonably sure that the posters in support of this game will not be playing it in six months - because there's nothing to do for two months.

But back on topic, it's not P2W. People complaining about it is just "I can't haz shinies NOW! It's P2W!" - It's pay-not-to-kill-yourself-because-you-spent-five-months-farming-AD.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by grimjakk
    The only advantage is time and convenience.  Besides... "win"  an MMORPG?  Feh. 

Agree with this statement.  The P2W comments are greatly and intentionally exaggerated, as usual.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

this game is definately pay to win to use higher lvl runes you practicly have to  pay, and i call 50 % timeredux per item for tradeskills pay to win, and dont forget the pay to win companion and mounts

you could of just been lucky or fought against some afkers or bots its easy to rack up kills sometimes you failed at convinceing me

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Did you take a picture of your monitor instead of a screenshot? 

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Hahah why don't you.. well.. follow your own advice for starters?

And as for calling everyone that does not share your opinion "haters and trolls" and telling them to shut up.. Remove that swastika from your arm, get off your high horse and open your eyes. This is a good, creative game, being destroyed by a financial plan and greed. 

The usual f2p plague.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Satyros

Hahah why don't you.. well.. follow your own advice for starters?

And as for calling everyone that does not share your opinion "haters and trolls" and telling them to shut up.. Remove that swastika from your arm, get off your high horse and open your eyes. This is a good, creative game, being destroyed by a financial plan and greed. 

The usual f2p plague.

And pretty much everything you'd want can be gained by exchanging Astral Diamonds for Zen.  For free, just by playing.

Again, the tirades against the cash shop are really over-blown, and intentionally overlook some key points, like being able to earn AD by playing.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Okay. Examples then.

What exactly is over-blown about bags costing 10 bucks each?

Oh yeah, I can still farm one week for ONE INVENTORY BAG so I can actually store some of the 50 different enchantment types- levels, the quest items and (maybe) extra loot without receiving an inventory full spam halfway into questing. True. The game lets me.

Is super-omfg-duper grinding fun? No. Is the benefit you receive worth the trouble (like hardcore raiding gear)?. Not by a long shot. So why put it in the game? The simple answer.. game's half-complete ( wth is the deal with the trap-rogue system anyway? I play a rogue and walk right past em.. too bored to spend 5 seconds disarming to avoid 10% lfiebar dmg. And lets not speak of the amazing quests and deep NPC personality).

It's half complete and  PWE wants a quick money grab out of this instead of trusting the game and investing in it. Again. 

Feel like sacrifising more of your time for this..? While knowing that by the time you farm up your bags, mount and  companion this game will probably be dead? Or the aliens will invade? Or we will all move to Mars and have no internet providers?

Well at the end of the day its your choice.  But lets all be clear about this and let the new people know the situation so they can decide for themselves too. Good game, pretty innovative, Pay-to-Enjoy or Grind-to-Compete. Deserves a week of your time or two. No more.

This discussion has been closed.