Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a monk do I have to wear that silly yellow dress?

this issue for me comes up because I can't seem to find any place that shows armor sets for FFXIV classes.

I like the Pugilist class, but the whole "karate" dresses kinda scare me from jumping in.

i'd hate to be forced to wearing a dress and stockings while playing.

Comments

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

I think the lower level gear is generic and sometimes a bit silly.   As a tank running around in a metal thong was weird, but hey I got a lot of whistles.  :)

At least this is better then:

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/24/c7cy.png

THIS!!!   image

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3125/va4w.png

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by tort0429

THIS!!!   image

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3125/va4w.png

If anything I would at least put metal in the groin area, not all around it :D It would be then understandable to protect only the most precious part of the body :P

It reminds me of GW2 problem with medium armor class males having to wear only freaking skirts, with not one armor with pants avaliable. God that was annoying. It sucks if you can't find anything to wear in game that you like.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Feelings and correctness are formost now adays.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Lol my gladiator wears pink...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

All classes/jobs go through stages of horrible looking gear.  Don't know why but they do.  Have you seen the WHM 45?

http://i.imgur.com/cK3mqn0.png

At least with a yellow dress you can change the color and look a little better.  For what I posted die isn't going to do a whole lot for you.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Meh.  Deuces.
  • SengellSengell Member UncommonPosts: 30

Most likely you will not play Pugilist class in the endgame, but a different jobclass called monk.

And no, you don't have to wear a certain colour. You can dye your equipment. But a certain shape of gear is not denyable.

Well, if you a looking for a very stylish melee dd look, a dragoon looks rather fashionable and futuristic too. Maybe that would be to your liking. Monks are told to be rather demanding to play, a lot of micromanagement and positioning involved, so they are rather hardcore.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by DMKano

umm what about lalafells, and generally effeminate males throughout the entire game?

The silly yellow jumpsuit should be the least of your concerns, the entire game has clownish-silly outfits, its hard to take any of it seriously.

When I first saw the Ul'Dah queens "baby got back" dress I laughed so hard, utterly ridiculous.

Excuse me sir my Lallafel is a baddass thank you very much.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by NetSage

http://i.imgur.com/cK3mqn0.png

This guy looks like he's made from play-doh. What settings are those? Does this game even have different types of material or is everything character including made of rubber? Is there any texture on higher settings? This bothers me every time I see screenshots. No texture and rubber.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Feelings and correctness are formost now adays.

Sorry for asking this as I'm sure it has many times.  How do you post a pic??   image

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by WhiteCross

this issue for me comes up because I can't seem to find any place that shows armor sets for FFXIV classes.

I like the Pugilist class, but the whole "karate" dresses kinda scare me from jumping in.

Don't play a female character = problem solved.  This just in ... females wear dresses and stockings.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

Don't play a female character = problem solved.  This just in ... females wear dresses and stockings.

That's not the problem, he wants to play a ninja/monk/pugilist and wear something less Dojo. 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

who said anything about playing a female character?

I'm trying a MALE Roegadyn for the Pugilist.

Originally posted by Electro057

That's not the problem, he wants to play a ninja/monk/pugilist and wear something less Dojo. 

^^ this ^^

If I say the game is only a few days old, who knows what future gear will look like in later tiers and dungeons....will you get the  jist of it? I hardly think they'll consign you to one single look forever....

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Dye your cloths and get over it.  There is a quest to learn it in Thanalan.

I automatically connected dresses and stockings to the female gender.  My sincere apologies for my reckless assumption.

I automatically connected dresses and stockings to females.  My sincere apologies for my reckless assumption.

No problem bud.

As far as armor, the problem for the Roegadyn is, the level 1 starter gear looks better than anything I've seen so far!

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

^^ this ^^

Are you referencing the bright yellow armor you get as a quest reward in the teens, or are you talking about the end game Monk armor?  The former can be dyed, in fact I obtained the ability to dye a couple quests later.  The armor only lasted a couple levels too, at which point I replaced it with the awesome looking Foestriker set that drops in the first few dungeons.

As for the Monk armor.... I've been seeing unique gear that cannot be died.  I'm terrified I'll have to wear yellow in end game.  Every time a Dragoon walks by in that wicked black armor I smash my face into my keyboard.

I automatically connected dresses and stockings to females.  My sincere apologies for my reckless assumption.

No problem bud.

As far as armor, the problem for the Roegadyn is, the level 1 starter gear looks better than anything I've seen so far!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3272612/ Here's my Roe summoner, not pansy! See it gets better.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

Originally posted by Dagon13

^^ this ^^

Are you referencing the bright yellow armor you get as a quest reward in the teens, or are you talking about the end game Monk armor?  The former can be dyed, in fact I obtained the ability to dye a couple quests later.  The armor only lasted a couple levels too, at which point I replaced it with the awesome looking Foestriker set that drops in the first few dungeons.

As for the Monk armor.... I've been seeing unique gear that cannot be died.  I'm terrified I'll have to wear yellow in end game.  Every time a Dragoon walks by in that wicked black armor I smash my face into my keyboard.

Or the Black Mages in their awesome Vivi like black getup with the eye aims and cross work and everything.....It's so cool...And then you look at the Summoner Endgame gear and I cry inside.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

It's horrible when an mmorpg has the courage to actually identify a class properly, isn't it? C'mon, lol. 

1.  Cloth because of ease of movement, i.e., they are martial artists that utilize animal styles.  Plate and chain won't hack it.

2.  Price fits in the concept of a Buddhist monk, i.e., cheap

3.  Buddhism preaches to want for nothing, hence no suffering, again why they aren't in silly raid gear

4.  The monk gear is pretty impressive and has already added foot and knee armor, weapons of various designs.  So this

is not a "dress" as you have described it.

I'm not even a fan of the game (pvp concepts are going to be terrible E-Sport nonsense), but this company does put effort into their artwork and PvE so I applaud them for that.

Originally posted by Comaf

It's horrible when an mmorpg has the courage to actually identify a class properly, isn't it? C'mon, lol. 

1.  Cloth because of ease of movement, i.e., they are martial artists that utilize animal styles.  Plate and chain won't hack it.

2.  Price fits in the concept of a Buddhist monk, i.e., cheap

3.  Buddhism preaches to want for nothing, hence no suffering, again why they aren't in silly raid gear

4.  The monk gear is pretty impressive and has already added foot and knee armor, weapons of various designs.  So this

is not a "dress" as you have described it.

I'm not even a fan of the game (pvp concepts are going to be terrible E-Sport nonsense), but this company does put effort into their artwork and PvE so I applaud them for that.

Can you explain my Summoner's head band with a horn? And his red feathered yet lime green robe? Cause....even if they're going for Shaman they missed the mark by a few miles.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

... and please do explain the Bard gear.  I am left wanting for a reasonable explanation.

To put it bluntly, that end game Bard gear is gawd awful.  I am hoping there will be alternatives for the end game gear to some of these classes.  Don't get me wrong, they are graphical very well done, It's just the entire design comes across as, for lack of a better word ... butterfly-ish.  Dark color shades would have done them more justice.

• WKMitchellWKMitchell Member UncommonPosts: 86

AF which is what you are referring to is just the starting point for Endgame gear.  Darklight sets, Heavy Darksteel, Don't know what the cloth or leather better sets are called are better stat wise.

No you cant dye AF because it is designed to be iconic looks for jobs that go way back in the FF series.