Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: New Letter Details the Great Hyborian Race

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Joel Bylos has published the latest Game Director's Letter on the Age of Conan: Unchained site. In it, he reveals a new feature for players looking for a new challenge: The Great Hyborean Race.

One of the primary requests we have received from the Player vs Player community are ways to recreate the feeling of rivalry that they felt in the early days of Age of Conan. Open world PvP is often mentioned and in discussing this problem with the designers, we feel that the best direction to take in improving open world PvP are sporadic, controlled events which force players into areas that are unsafe.

With that in mind, I am very happy to announce a new event that we will be running in Age of Conan, called The Great Hyborian Race!

During the Great Hyborian Race, we will be asking players to roll a new, fresh character on a Blood and Glory ruleset server (completely new server) and race to the top in PvE and PvP. For the duration of the event, you will be unable to use Offline Levels and we will place restrictions on the use of XP potions and instances. We still have time to make some adjustments to the ruleset, so post any ideas that you have on the forums and we will see what we have time to incorporate.

Unique Prizes will be awarded to the players who are first to 80 in each class, as well as players who achieve a certain threshold of PvP experience within the time frame of the race.

Work together with your guild, or strike out solo and attempt to be the best. Just be aware that anyone and everyone is your enemy!

Read more about what's happening in-game on the Age of Conan: Unchained site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

In before anyone can claim that such exp race events are a good idea. In my eyes it only annoys the majority of the playerbase because this always caters only to the hardcore people that play their 16+ hours a day.

Thumbs-down from me. Pity, I really cherished that game for over three years.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

What will happen, is that there will be teams of People who create New accounts and share them among eachother, play in shifts 24/7.

This Whole event will end within 2 days. As these People will have a Level 80 char within 2 days.

That its a Whole New hardcore PVP server won´t matter, as these guys outlevel everyone so fast anyway.

It´s a Nice idea on paper, but in reality it gets smashed to pieces by these hardcore individuals.

The average player With School, job, Family, etc has absolutely no chance against these type of "mommies basement" gamers. As the race will already be over when they come back from School / work.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Yeh at a shallow level this seems like maybe a good idea, however this only caters to those who have more time to play.  They should just give out candy to those who have the most hours logged and be done with it.  Is it as "exciting" as re-rolling another toon and redoing content?  I dunno,...kind of a toss up.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Two 1/2 -3 years since the crafting re design was promised....and still waiting.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    I don't think Funcom gets it.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    This game had so much potential, I really miss the Mature rating aspect of it and still to this day haven't found a dark and mature mmo like it.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Does it have raids? Proper raids with locks?

Yes, very much so!

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Wow! developers promoting the rush rush to end game. I guess it is the devs fault and not the players for this kind of mentality.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    How can Funcom be so right with decisions for TSW and so out to lunch with decisions for AoC. They are killing their own game! Stop Funcom, listen to your playerbase...get involved finally before the ship has sunk. 

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

With all the mistakes I keep coming back to this one.

Still my favorite raids, 6 mans, gear, graphics, and combat and I have played most games.

I wish everyone would give this one another try so the population would improve. It had a terrible launch but has improved constantly.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Redcor

Still my favorite raids, 6 mans, gear, graphics, and combat and I have played most games.

Likewise, Kylliki / Vistrix, and Amphitheater / Atzel / Sanctum :)

And this comes from a player who loathes the so-called "endgame" (that's why I erased "gear", I don't care about that too), but AoC has awesome instances indeed - at least in Hyboria. In the letter Joel mentions "polishing the loot solution" of Halls, I hope it won't affect the instance itself... they can mess with the lootdrops as much as they want, loot is irrelevant anyways :)

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I guess that's one thing you can try to do when you don't have a development team capable of developing content.