Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XL GAMES Restructuring due to low performance of ArcheAge

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I wonder what the deal is. I watched some early videos and the only thing I got from them was that the game might have a lot of stuff, but the combat doesn't look very interesting. I wonder if that's the bit that's holding it up. The impression I get from other Korean games is that the combat is very fast and flashy. The combat in AA is not fast and flashy, at least not in the videos.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Not surprising, considering AA's huge budget. They needed it to be a huge hit and it wasn't.
  • InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I'm sad. Yeah the game went F2P just around the 6 month mark in South Korea. I'm not sure if they have had any server merges but I would not be surprised at this point. Korean games "usually" don't do too hot in Japan, so that leaves NA/EU. TRION needs to push XLGames just a bit more and at least get some word out about the game. Having radio silence for X amount of months is usually never a good thing.

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    LOL all the hype... you hypers :P
  • KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    I'm sad. Yeah the game went F2P just around the 6 month mark in South Korea. I'm not sure if they have had any server merges but I would not be surprised at this point. Korean games "usually" don't do too hot in Japan, so that leaves NA/EU. TRION needs to push XLGames just a bit more and at least get some word out about the game. Having radio silence for X amount of months is usually never a good thing.

The game does quite well in Japan actually.

Korean players leave because XLGames promised an awesome sandbox that is able to compete with games like Lineage, because they remembered Jake Song from back then. But XLGames delivered a semi-sandbox with a big focus on themepark and they already have Aion for that which did it much better.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by KeksX
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

The game does quite well in Japan actually.

Korean players leave because XLGames promised an awesome sandbox that is able to compete with games like Lineage, because they remembered Jake Song from back then. But XLGames delivered a semi-sandbox with a big focus on themepark and they already have Aion for that which did it much better.

Not to mention despite Lineage closing down its western servers, the game still does well enough to outdo NCSoft's other titles by a mile.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Who cares i will play it when it releases and its the faviorite to wait for for my guild.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• FestanoFestano Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Who cares i will play it when it releases and its the faviorite to wait for for my guild.

Thing is, Trion is in trouble too. Archeage's fate hangs in the balance.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Festano

If Trion tanks and it is possible they will, ArchAge is dead here.

Trion can't even fix the games they have out already, let alone ArchAge.

• bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Festano

Really!? Just because of some news about a company restructuring doesn't mean a company is in trouble. It all depends on when they started and how much they have lost. This happens all the time to companies and they sometimes go on to be bigger and better because of it. Everything talked about Trion's future is just speculation and poor opinions and until Trion comes out and says it's going down or you read about it going out like 38 studios, it's all BS.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

ArcheAge was designed (inadvertently?)  for the Western audience.  It's not surprising that Koreans don't like this style of game.  They want action, action, action! .. not sandbox stuff, with long boat trips.

Anyone who thinks that Archeage won't succeed in the West shows their own lack of vision.  It is pretty much the game many have been asking and waiting for.  Get over the cars, or I'll VROOM VROOM.  Keep it up and I'll drive over your crops too, and hit your chicken coop at 180 MPH.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

I don't think it was the gameplay that sent the game downhill more than it was XL Game's mistreatment of the players.

I'll play the game regardless but I admit, I'm a little discouraged by both companies right now.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Festano Originally posted by DarthRaiden Who cares i will play it when it releases and its the faviorite to wait for for my guild.

SOE just did a a re-structure as well...are they going out of business? Calm down Chicken Little(s) it isn't the end of the (game) world just yet. Companies restructure all the time, and usually come out better for it. Look at FORD motors as a great example.

While I agree it would be great if Trion would let us in on what is going on with their corporate side, at the end of the day I am not an investor so they owe me nothing as far as an explanation.

My advice to all is; remain patient and see what happens. Relax.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Karteli
    ArcheAge was designed (inadvertently?)  for the Western audience.  It's not surprising that Koreans don't like this style of game.  They want action, action, action! .. not sandbox stuff, with long boat trips. Anyone who thinks that Archeage won't succeed in the West shows their own lack of vision.  It is pretty much the game many have been asking and waiting for.  Get over the cars, or I'll VROOM VROOM and run you down.  Keep it up and I'll drive over your crops too, and hit your chicken coop at 180 MPH.    

You make a good point, generally speaking, Western and Eastern audiences do not enjoy the same type of game play.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    I think they fell into the trap of promising too much and not being able to deliver. We shall see.

Who you refer too ? Can't be XL games. Archage is released in Korea and every feature is in the game like prooven in dozens of videos and more added during the 6 months since then.

if you meant Trion NA release within this year  you could be right...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    I think they fell into the trap of promising too much and not being able to deliver. We shall see.

Who you refer too ? Can't be XL games. Archage is released in Korea and every feature is in the game like prooven in dozens of videos and more added during the 6 months since then.

if you meant Trion NA release within this year  you could be right...

ya, XLGames kept pushing new content out fast, even while still in beta.  The company is on steroids.

Even before a publisher was picked up, XLGames said in an interview that they were aiming for a late 2013 / early 2014 release in the west.  Trion picked it up and said they were aiming for a late 2013.

Maybe Trion bit off too much  .. but there is a whole bunch of translations and voice overs that need conversions.  Voice overs definitely, because I've seen the Korean version and there are in-game scenes with voice.

Not to mention all the translations for every single aspect of the game .. it's a good amount of work.

There is not much else happening with MMORPG's these days ... but ArcheAge seems to at least be aggressively ambitious.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Still really looking forward to playing this game. Open world, Sieges, open pvp with a lot of group play is what I am looking for and this game has it. Trion is what worries me.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Df:uw, defiance, neverwinter, Farr, now AA. I might be playing wushu forever.... They're falling like flies. Who's next? Teso, eqn (late next year) the repop (2015?).
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Df:uw, defiance, neverwinter, Farr, now AA. I might be playing wushu forever.... They're falling like flies. Who's next? Teso, eqn (late next year) the repop (2015?).

LOL, Age Of Wushu. Game is not even worth talking about. Enjoy playing a game that nobody will ever care about forever.

You may not want to talk about it, the industry is though along with 15-20 million gamers worldwide. The game ain't perfect (almost) but it's made of original thought, bursting with player driven system after layer of player driven system. Unapologetic about it's complexity and rewards time invested. All I a civil, player justice, no safe zone, FFA world.

I want to give AA a go, I want eqn to be badass, teso to be so real, and the repop to usher in the Indy sandbox. I wanted the other to be something new and good too. We'll see.
    You may not want to talk about it, the industry is though. The game ain't perfect, but it's made of original thought, bursting with player driven system after layer of player driven system. Unapologetic about it's complexity and rewards time invested. All I a civil, player justice, no safe zone, FFA world.

I want to give AA a go, I want eqn to be badass, teso to be so real, and the repop to usher in the Indy sandbox. I wanted the other to be something new and good too. We'll see.

Age Of Wushu is garbage and its at the bottom of the pile just where it belongs. You have been reduced to a person who is jealous and mad that nobody plays or cares about your game. The industry is talking about Age Of Wushu? Somebody please hit this guy on the head and wake him up from what ever dream world he is in.  

Originally posted by Mannish
    You may not want to talk about it, the industry is though. The game ain't perfect, but it's made of original thought, bursting with player driven system after layer of player driven system. Unapologetic about it's complexity and rewards time invested. All I a civil, player justice, no safe zone, FFA world.

Age Of Wushu is garbage and its at the bottom of the pile just where it belongs. You have been reduced to a person who is jealous and mad that nobody plays or cares about your game. The industry is talking about Age Of Wushu? Somebody please hit this guy on the head and wake him up from what ever dream world he is in.  

Man I'm having a great time. That's part of the problem, snail know they have no competition in the pvp sandbox genre. I hope and wish in 2014 I will have something to be jealous about. AA has a few features that Wushu does not, but missing more. too. I still hope it makes it here.

I love good deep games. I hope that I'll be able to rave about those up coming mmorpgs listed aswell.