Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do all modern MMOs have bind on equip/pick up?

2»

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

theres more but heres 2.

1)pls pls help me to get hammer of DOOM,pls pls help help guild.

he gets it and sells it right away.

2)these days dungeons are not for fun ,those are for gear score,now if items were not locked it would make dungeons obsolete.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

They should bind gold too and no more "bind on equip" , just "bind on pick" so we don't have to trade anymore ,

hurray no more auction house , no more RMT , no more gold spamer

Just kill the economy if you can't control it hahaha ... JK.

But I don't like my items bound , i love to collect items (rare or look funny) and don't want to just throw them to NPC shop , so i always get short storage and bags slot.

Sometime i wish there are no limit for storage lol.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Cheook
    I guess you need either binding or item decay to stabilize the economy.

Pretty much. It's just a band-aid approach to fixing the loot flooding from farming items (bot or otherwise).

Maccarthur brings up an interesting theory, though. It's possible that in some games it's there to make sure players play through the meticulously crafted tedious crap they spent weeks creating and don't just farm cheap mobs to buy the rewards from the game's 'epic' content off the market.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

People call it "carrot on a stick", but I think rewards in a game are not to be looked down on. It's fundamental stuff and one doesn't need to feel bad for chasing a reward. Most game systems are about rewards in the first place. We talk about gear like it's something that's embarrassing to chase, but why should it be more embarrassing or meaningless than any other reward?

I chased a rare mount in WOW that translated to fishing for months! Did I not know it meant next to nothing? Sure I did! To me it was just a goal I set to stay in a game world I liked being in - almost an excuse. And when I got it, I was happy alright, as meaningless as the thing was. :)

Most themepark games are gear-based. You chase gear. You set a lot of goals based on gear. (And this is from someone who doesn't really do much gear-chasing in the usual sense.) When you make it so that all gear is tradeable, the gear-based goals become somewhat meaningless. Especially in a game with preset gear (rather than randomized).

I know, I know... People could just choose not to trade and go try to earn those items instead. Well, apparently that doesn't work. Very few people do that; others just trade for / buy the stuff and  then grow kind of bored of the game. Even happens in Diablo 3, seeing as it does have an Auction House that makes trading easy.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

If they want the economy to be fixed, everyone to work on getting items, and no gold sellers.

Just remove trade/auction/gold. That way, everyone has to work for their items. Problem solved. Its already headed that way anyway with the tons of bind on equip/pick up items. They may as go the whole way and remove trade completely, it isn't really needed if you can't trade items to begin with.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

If they want the economy to be fixed, everyone to work on getting items, and no gold sellers.

Just remove trade/auction/gold. That way, everyone has to work for their items. Problem solved. Its already headed that way anyway with the tons of bind on equip/pick up items. They may as go the whole way and remove trade completely, it isn't really needed if you can't trade items to begin with.

That constitutes a "fixed" economy only in the sense of "neutered", not in the sense of "repaired".  Which, to be fair, is what a lot of players want:  for a game to not meaningfully have an economy.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Well the purpose of item-binding is to allow some trade of items without allowing trade to completely make items meaningless.

Obviously if there's no trade at all, it doesn't matter whether you call items "bound" or not, because they're effectively bound anyway (you can't trade them.)

But with a well-designed item-bindi system, you can still have a meaningful, controlled item economy.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Well the purpose of item-binding is to allow some trade of items without allowing trade to completely make items meaningless.

Obviously if there's no trade at all, it doesn't matter whether you call items "bound" or not, because they're effectively bound anyway (you can't trade them.)

But with a well-designed item-bindi system, you can still have a meaningful, controlled item economy.

Indeed, there is no reason that item binding and a good economy are incompatible. But I do feel they went down this route as it is the cheap option as various of us have suggested.  Gaming economies are complex, complexity costs money to create and administer, so simplicity was opted for.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Scot

Indeed, there is no reason that item binding and a good economy are incompatible. But I do feel they went down this route as it is the cheap option as various of us have suggested.  Gaming economies are complex, complexity costs money to create and administer, so simplicity was opted for.

As someone who creates game economies for a living, I'll have to disagree with this one.

Apart from wanting to avoid a complete economy meltdown, expense isn't really a significant concern.  In a game where items don't degrade (which is a design decision made for completely different reasons,) item-binding simply makes the most sense to maintain the right balance (and for the big reasons I mentioned earlier.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The manufacturers were not fond of the black markets.

As usual, we over-analyze everything about MMOs. Disreputable individuals and web sites, profiteering from someone else's systems, and costing the home company money both directly and indirectly.

What's the one thing that pisses off a gaming company most? Spending money on staff (to pursue and enforce, for example).

As time passes, we seem to forget the lessons taught by D2.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.