Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] EverQuest Next: The Adventurer Comes to Landmark

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that the proverbial cat is out of the bag about EverQuest Next and Everquest Next: Landmark, the team is ready to talk on a plethora of subjects. We caught up with SOE's Dave Georgeson to talk about Landmark. See what he has to say in this exclusive interview! Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

We still haven’t gotten our own grubby little mitts on EQN or Landmark, but Dave tells us that that part of the process (beta for Landmark) isn’t far off if they want the game to launch this winter.  First, Dave showed us some new character art. You may be familiar with the fact that Roundtable has been asking players to help decide if female dwarves should have beards or not. During our little presentation, we were treated to the first ever art that will make Linda “Brasse” Carlson proud. They’re not full-on lush beads, but there’s no mistaking that these buxom little beauties will make SOE’s resident femme-dwarf very pleased. This is the first thing that SOE has really taken from Roundtable and put into the game based on the player voting.

Read more of Bill Murphy's EverQuest Next: The Adventurer Comes to Landmark.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Me thinks the link is broken

This have been a good conversation

• TallynTallyn Member UncommonPosts: 217

Quit teasin' Suzie! The link directs straight to mmorpg.com.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I did not vote but would not have voted for beards.The Kerran I roll will look exactly like the one they have already shown, I think it looks purrrrfect :-) interesting how fast they can move. That Kerran model was the only one ready and yet by landmark launch since you can carry your character to eqnext they must be going to have all the character models ready by then.
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    More hype.  I'm still waiting to see evidence all of this is making it into the game and not just ideas being tossed off.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I'm a little confused about a point towards the end of the article:

"Landmark is FTP, but plots of land across the worlds will be bought with Station Cash"

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the entirety of purpose of Landmark is to head off into the hills, find some land, and build to your heart's content.  Right?  But, now we're told that in order to create and build, to even begin, you need to pay for the plot itself.  Correct?  If Landmark is designed so that you have to open your wallet first, then build, it is not FTP.  

I think an answer that hasn't been given yet is elaboration on their FTP model.  Will it be tiered like the other FTP games in their stable, such as EQ2?  Their payment matrix includes a subscription option which allows you access to all game content, excluding Marketplace items.  Having a full sub also rewards you with 500 Station Cash per month.  Will EQN follow a similar matrix?

I do not have a problem with subbing.  I play EQ2 and have had a recurring subscription for years.  While it has the option to be played purely as a FTP game, I prefer having everything available to me upfront.  I have concern that Landmark will not have this model and it will cost the player a bit here, and a bit there, and amount to nickel and diming.  Certainly, having to pay for your plot of land from the get go sets off warning bells for me.  

I really need more information on their payment model before I play Landmark, or EQN for that matter.  

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

Pretty sure that additional plots will cost money. Probably only start with one small plot in a random location. If you find a special place you can buy it, or if you want to expand. 

Of course this is all speculation based on how they do PS2 F2P.

I am pretty excited to get a new EQ game though. My kid is going to go crazy with the minecraft style stuff. He would much rather build than fight.

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95
    Why isn't anyone talking about the gameplay? It would be nice to know that it isnt much of a button mashing game like eq2.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I'm curious about how the in-game mail system will work. And what about group loot options? No one from SOE has even mentioned this! Will there be restrictions on how "need" can be used? How many different target markers will there be for group leaders? And precisely how long is my breath meter for underwater actions? I find it suspicious that they haven't even mentioned how blacklisting another player will work. Until these questions are answered, I will just assume that this entire game is vaporware, and not worth my time. In fact, if every detail about every aspect of the game is not revealed in the next week, this game will be an epic failure. If it's even real.

/sarcasm

• bazingabazinga Member UncommonPosts: 34

GIVE US LANDMARK ALREADY!!!

*throws cash at screen*

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I cannot help but notice lot of "Eastern" (Manga like) influence in the Concept Art of EverQuest Next!

I Guess that´s where most of the layoffs happened at SOE? So all concept art is now outsourced to Asia.

/Shrug

• yonsieyonsie Member UncommonPosts: 8
    link is broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Yuck!...I hope those aren't the actual Dwarves in the game....They look like Gimli mated with a 14 year old anime chick.
  • MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    I'm excited for Landmark. But I have to say that I'm disappointed in the cartoony and cliched art style of Everquest Next.
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Telondariel

"Landmark is FTP, but plots of land across the worlds will be bought with Station Cash"

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the entirety of purpose of Landmark is to head off into the hills, find some land, and build to your heart's content.  Right?  But, now we're told that in order to create and build, to even begin, you need to pay for the plot itself.  Correct?  If Landmark is designed so that you have to open your wallet first, then build, it is not FTP.  

Most likely the same way as with Planetside 2 -  you can buy land for ingame resources or with sc.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

These are no dwarves

Sorry SOE, those are no dwarves.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Why cant they just show us the god damn GNOMES ALREADY !! hahahah

I cant stand waiting this long just to see my Beloved Gnomes

Gnome Warrior of Norrath!

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

So SOE found a way to monetize the Fun and Popularity of Minecraft... way to go.

But I'll pass.

I prefer an MMO made for Players, not one made for Investors.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Yuck!...I hope those aren't the actual Dwarves in the game....They look like Gimli mated with a 14 year old anime chick.

Welcome to every (female) dwarf in every MMO ever.

But at least they give us the option of having beards for our female dwarves.  Maybe they can add in an option to let us choose to display female dwarves, be they ours an npc or a pc, with or without beards.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    What's Landmark? You kind of assume we know what it is. I don't.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well dont like the sound of SOE selling land for real money..

I was also hoping for some of the creative stuff available in landmark being available in EQN but its sounds more and more like that wont be the case..

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Hm can i just get EQ as we knew it, maybe further the timeline a couple hundred years so locations and characters may be different, HD graphics, no instanced dumgeons but add a party tool that you can access in taverns(not a pop-up menu anywhere you want)? Please?
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Jenadara
    Why isn't anyone talking about the gameplay? It would be nice to know that it isnt much of a button mashing game like eq2.

EQ isn't a button mashing game?

LoTRO isn't a button mashing game?

Neverwinter isn't a button mashing game?

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

Originally posted by Caldrin

well dont like the sound of SOE selling land for real money..

I was also hoping for some of the creative stuff available in landmark being available in EQN but its sounds more and more like that wont be the case..

This is not new.

Other games have done this.

Greed Monger pre-sold plots for money. It is currently in alpha.

Shroud of the Avatar has done the same (it has Richard Garriott behind it).

The thing with GM was in the Kickstarter they specifically stated you could resell your land for real world cash when the real estate system is in.

I don't remember what SoTA has planned about it, if any.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

Originally posted by Suraknar

So SOE found a way to monetize the Fun and Popularity of Minecraft... way to go.

But I'll pass.

I prefer an MMO made for Players, not one made for Investors.

Read what I just posted as a reply to someone else.

SoE is not the first developer to do real world cash sale options / buying for virtual real estate.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg