Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heard a lot of good things since Unchained

PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
Since they released this game as free to play I have heard a ton of good things about it. No reason not to give it a shot. Tried all the other crap MMO's on the market so might as well give this one a shot. It does have the type of setting and maturity that I like to see in an MMO.

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

The art and music is refreshing, but the gameplay drives you away instantly. Each zone is instanced down to 30 people max, you follow a linear path through each zone (see that mountain over there? can't get to it), and the entire game is just following the glowing quest compass doing fetch quests. Just like WoW and every other clone.

It's combat is above average though.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Stopped download... can't do linear and quests. Thanks for the heads up.
  • rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Going to not try it because of one persons opinion in a forum?

Should always try it for yourself and if you do not like it then get the hell outta dodge.

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Stopped download... can't do linear and quests. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm just trying to temper your enthusiasm. I couldn't make it beyond the tutorial. But it's free so it is worth trying at least that.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well it is indeed a linear quest grinder.  However, in defense of AOC, it was made when that was considered the norm for most theme parks.   Still,  the atmosphere and overall theme of the game still makes it worth giving it a shot.  Very gritty with a great art style, decent animation, and great soundtrack.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Oh boy... not sure if linking other threads is still a no, but there's a thread in the Pub, called "Disliking a previously liked game after reading forums" - this could be a textbook case there...

-hear a lot of good things

-linear path, fetch quests [ though I couldn't make through the tutorial ]

-stopped download, thanks the heads up.

Lol, you've made my morning, thanks for the laugh :)  to be honest I'm a bit curious where did you heard the good things, based on the above I guess not on forums :)

As rodingo wrote, AoC has a pretty allowing f2p now, so definitely worth a download, great game. It's more than 5 years old, but still looking awesome, the melee combat is fun, and as an explorer I can't put my finger on the "see that mountain over there? can't get to it" part, you can climb a lot, there are nice shortcuts on the maps.

As for the quests, it has the standard design with quest hubs and quest lines, but FC tried to shake things up a bit, so there are multiple directions, inter-zone questlines, multi-step quests, out-of-the way quest starters (both people and hidden items) which opening up complete questlines, etc. Not to mention the conversation system with the npc's. So it's true, questing is a bit wow-ish, but it's still pretty different, considering the game's age.

But if you're so into non-linear, fetch quests, go and try TSW. That game has a unique, story-oriented, non-questhub model, and it's FC as well :)

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    I agree with Davis on this.It's a linear feel go fetch/kill this type of game,The combat seems interesting for about 30 lvl's and then it feels like other games.The music/visuals and such are top notch though.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    the quests are linear but pretty fun thought, atleast i had most fun doing them there as in any other game, beside TSW. But to mention I played on pvp servers and the biggest fun was always to quest for 10 minutes and fight vs some stranger for 20 minutes until some1 gives up, curious how it is now. The f2p is nice up to 80, but after 80 you will have to decide pay or not.
    Originally posted by Vapors
    the quests are linear but pretty fun thought

Not really. You get dumped into a deep forest...with only ONE path.

Then you arrive in a town where you pick up glowing sparkling bricks.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Vapors
    the quests are linear but pretty fun thought

Not really. You get dumped into a deep forest...with only ONE path.

Then you arrive in a town where you pick up glowing sparkling bricks.

You weren't kidding then, with not finishing the tutorial :) Helping Turach is after like 10-15 minutes of gameplay... if you bring to him those 3 sparkling bricks, you can enter that town, where you'll have a switch-able single player (only for the tutorial) and mmo mode, with 3 different ways (and areas) to level.

You should give it a try, Tortage is one of the best starter areas of the market... I'd say imo, but that's actually not just me thinking :)

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

No reason not to give it a shot.

can't do linear and quests.
    That was in the span of less than 20 minutes.

Thread is suspicious.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I thought I was gonna be dropped into the world and here we go.... I can't do the whole one path do this to level bullshit.
  • shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Wifey just re-installed and patched AOC. Were the servers cleared? she has none of her characters from a couple of years ago. No big deal; both restarted new toons. Nice to be back, and it still looks good - with great music.