Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 days before I'm sold to World of Warcraft, HELP!!!

2»

Comments

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Rift,EQ2,GW2,Path of Exile!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    tsw and gw2 have no endgame. Rift is an alternative to wow but its very very grindy in the end both rep and leveling from 50 to 60
  • VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Kopogero

I don't want to pay the monthly sub! Save me community! : )

I just wonder if there is as engaging multiplayer game out there for the free to play player...one where I have purpose playing and progressing a character...

I know there is a big playerbase on these forums that is not fond of World of Warcraft, but what else I should be fond of, really?

Try Rift, it is F2P and no pay to win cash shop.

It is similar to WoW and is some ways I think better.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Sacria
    tsw and gw2 have no endgame. Rift is an alternative to wow but its very very grindy in the end both rep and leveling from 50 to 60

Not picking on you, but several people have stated something like this. What is end game? Getting gear by doing raid after raid? GW2 has gear achievement qualities. Until you have legendary gear on your main character, it is equal to achieving gear in raids in WoW. I challenge anyone to get a set of legendary! :)

Also, one of the best parts about GW2 is you are able to play zones you have previously played. Once you have accomplished a zone in Rift or WoW, there is no need going back. In GW2 I can go back to the beginning areas or anywhere in between, and help friends, and still gain xp, and Trait Points, that can used even after level cap. I personally don't even fill like I have started playing GW2 until I reach 80.

If I were to play a game like WoW it would be Rift. But since WoW is still a great game, why not just play WoW? /shrug  If $15 deters anyone from playing they should skip a candy bar or a soda each day to cover it. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Not picking on you, but several people have stated something like this. What is end game? Getting gear by doing raid after raid? GW2 has gear achievement qualities. Until you have legendary gear on your main character, it is equal to achieving gear in raids in WoW. I challenge anyone to get a set of legendary! :)

Sure. Buy gems for 2000-4000$, convert to gold, buy legendary from AH. Done.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

video about WOWs current endgame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFWh9aY4pas#at=545

pick your poison - all mmos have flaws

Originally posted by Nadia

video about WOWs current endgame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFWh9aY4pas#at=545

pick your poison - all mmos have flaws

Do you understand video? Cause LFR is not real end-game raiding. It's made for retards to see content.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

At this point in time you are going to have as much "purpose" in progressing a character in about every MMO out there.   The issue is more likely to be the age of any game you join (aka everyone else has been there done that etc)

Or at least that is my point of view at the current time... which doesn't mean any of the upcoming games will be better (or worse).   It just often seems to be better to get involved in a new thing so that you progress with everyone else....

Tho I guess there won't be anything new for quite a few months at the current time...    I'll admit I still play WoW now and then but only to screw around in the bg's... just the same as why I used to still play DAoC.  

Just killing time until something different comes along... which is also why any sense of "progress" in current games is lost on me.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Just buy a one year pass to Wow and then you only have to make a decision once a year, the rest of the time rather than fiddleing through several games you can instead be actually playing wow and socializing, progressing, and just overall having fun.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Arthasm

Do you understand video? Cause LFR is not real end-game raiding. It's made for retards to see content.

yes the video is primarily about LFR and its impact on the WOW playerbase

i dont see anything constructive about pickup raids, being given the "dungeon finder" treatment,  do you?

I hope no future mmo tries to implement a raid finder

lmao, you are being sarcastic I hope. I think I would rather have a down payment on a new house than gear on a game. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    GW2

Ya, I second this!

TSW would be my next choice I think, but I am going to try the WoW patch and see what it is about.  I usually only hang around for about a month anyway, and it should be a fun time. $15 isn't bad really. /shrug

Thx for the suggestion. I would be curious what exacly GW2 offers at endgame that would keep me busy for a good amount of time. I know its endgame has been highly criticized.

Also I am hoping by now if I would ever consider buying the game the price to drastically drop. I enjoyed GW1 a lot but decided to skip GW2 this time.

IMO you have already made your mind up so this was a pointless thread, however if you look how long Wow has been about imo it's past it's sale by date and the fact it's going free to play tell you that Blizzard are trying to milk all they can from their game. It comes down to what you want to spend, Wow has a subs and GW2 does not and by the time you get to end content you will find new games on the market so it comes down to what you want to spend to play a game.

I'm going to stick my neck out here, I feel ESO will surprize many players and I feel this is a Wow beater having played it at Gamescom, now I know all the stout Wow fanbiboys will be calling for my head. But lets face it Wow has been up there for a long time and imo it's only a matter of time before it falls from that number one slot due to blizzards lack of direction and imo taking the game as far as they could.

There is also WS which is looking much like Wow but has fresher game play and they are using better combat but I still feel that ESO will pull many Skyrim players who have never played online game into this gene and add that to the MMO'ers looking for a fresh game is why I feel Wow will find it hard to stay at the top. Then as an outsider you have EQN which again I have seen to little to even consider it here yet.

When Wow goes free to play look at what you can expect, all the idiots on the planet being dicks and if there ever was a community in Wow you can say goodbye to that because having played MMO since 1999 all or many of the F2P models I played have had little or no community and feel like they've gone to solo MMO's.

Asbo

GW2

Ya, I second this!

TSW would be my next choice I think, but I am going to try the WoW patch and see what it is about.  I usually only hang around for about a month anyway, and it should be a fun time. $15 isn't bad really. /shrug

Thx for the suggestion. I would be curious what exacly GW2 offers at endgame that would keep me busy for a good amount of time. I know its endgame has been highly criticized.

Also I am hoping by now if I would ever consider buying the game the price to drastically drop. I enjoyed GW1 a lot but decided to skip GW2 this time.

IMO you have already made your mind up so this was a pointless thread, however if you look how long Wow has been about imo it's past it's sale by date and the fact it's going free to play tell you that Blizzard are trying to milk all they can from their game. It comes down to what you want to spend, Wow has a subs and GW2 does not and by the time you get to end content you will find new games on the market so it comes down to what you want to spend to play a game.

I'm going to stick my neck out here, I feel ESO will surprize many players and I feel this is a Wow beater having played it at Gamescom, now I know all the stout Wow fanbiboys will be calling for my head. But lets face it Wow has been up there for a long time and imo it's only a matter of time before it falls from that number one slot due to blizzards lack of direction and imo taking the game as far as they could.

There is also WS which is looking much like Wow but has fresher game play and they are using better combat but I still feel that ESO will pull many Skyrim players who have never played online game into this gene and add that to the MMO'ers looking for a fresh game is why I feel Wow will find it hard to stay at the top. Then as an outsider you have EQN which again I have seen to little to even consider it here yet.

When Wow goes free to play look at what you can expect, all the idiots on the planet being dicks and if there ever was a community in Wow you can say goodbye to that because having played MMO since 1999 all or many of the F2P models I played have had little or no community and feel like they've gone to solo MMO's.

I'm hoping what you say about ESO is all it is. I really love the single player games. However, the problem with WoW elite players is they need the gear grind! They need their raid fixes and I don't see that happening with ESO.

I personally think ESO will make a great mmo. Every game from the series made me want to have friends journey with me exploring and now that will hopefully happen. I think it will do great, but will be a niche game of mostly Elder Scrolls fans and some mmorpg enthusiasts. It won't be anything like WoW imho.

lmao, you are being sarcastic I hope. I think I would rather have a down payment on a new house than gear on a game. 

Nah, I'm not crazy + I don't have that money. But, it's easiest way to achieve legendary in GW2.

@Nadia

Mike talks about every kid/retard running around in purples got from dumbed down content. I really don't care, I don't play Wow to compete with idiots who will get more purples. If that bothers you, you have heroic raids and gear to afk in Orgrimmar/Stormwind, showing wannabe pros your heroic epics shinies. Only good thing I see in LFR is that you can gear alts for normal/hc raids, but even with that I barely doing them, only sometimes after 03am when I'm sure that kids went to sleep.

Sadly, more games will follow Wow's LFR path, one of them being FFXIV, but we'll see.

Originally posted by f0dell54
    Vanguard Saga of Heroes

Every time I play this game I want it to be good. I put hours into it and adventure! It is huge. The only problem I have is the population is so small compared to the world size, you rarely if ever bump into anyone else unless you are in a main town.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I heard RIFT has some exploits that damaging PvP. I also heard PvP is highly unbalanced where ranged classes dominate. I was so close to playing Rift that I installed it on my comp and got that raptyr expansion. I also heard people raid like 2 days max. I could care less about grind, but yea...

Thx for all so far for trying to be helpful. There are few MMORPG's that I've been interested and optimistic to come back or try that have some F2P model that is cheaper in the long run than WOW. Rift is one of them and DCUO was until they never bumped the cash limit for free to play players while content required more $ for repairs and stuff.

MMORPG's that went P2P and turned with some F2P are usually the better choice, so most likely the best would be a MMORPG that is playable where I would spend like $10-15 every 3 month, which is far better business than spending $15 monthly + expansions every now and then. 

There is a very slim chance I'll play any of the upcoming MMORPG's until late 2014 and if they truly prove successful. So I got a full year to commit to one MMORPG and yea I got less than 10 days to find something with better value for what it offers than WOW.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

World of Warcraft might be expensive for what it offers, but at least it had least flaw, that was at least playable. The main reason I stopped WOW this year was because of major flaws that occured to it, which previosly did not exist. (PvP win trading and abuse, completly destroyed the ranking and PvP is like the only other big feature the game had beside the raiding)

I don't want to go on blind and hope that 5.4 PvP changes will completly remedy the issue, but it's a step in the right direction and at the end it's better to play something than nothing.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ if you bought a DVD from a shop would you expect to pay £10 a month to use it in10 years time? Let's take wow shall we, long term players have paid over £1000 to play a game that is now 10 years old and creaking with the weight of the patches to cover the cracks. Blizzard covered their initial costs after the third month btw...

A reasonable sub is ok, e.g £10 for a cutting edge game or a game where the money is clearly REINVESTED, otherwise you are being ripped off.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

I heard RIFT has some exploits that damaging PvP. I also heard PvP is highly unbalanced where ranged classes dominate. I was so close to playing Rift that I installed it on my comp and got that raptyr expansion. I also heard people raid like 2 days max. I could care less about grind, but yea...

Thx for all so far for trying to be helpful. There are few MMORPG's that I've been interested and optimistic to come back or try that have some F2P model that is cheaper in the long run than WOW. Rift is one of them and DCUO was until they never bumped the cash limit for free to play players while content required more $ for repairs and stuff.

MMORPG's that went P2P and turned with some F2P are usually the better choice, so most likely the best would be a MMORPG that is playable where I would spend like $10-15 every 3 month, which is far better business than spending $15 monthly + expansions every now and then. 

There is a very slim chance I'll play any of the upcoming MMORPG's until late 2014 and if they truly prove successful. So I got a full year to commit to one MMORPG and yea I got less than 10 days to find something with better value for what it offers than WOW.

Rift does not have PvP exploits, not sure where you heard that. All I do in Rift is PvP and I never encounter exploits..ever. Ranged classes do not dominate. There are a few warfronts where some classes tend to do better, mostly because of the terrain, but melee classes do fine in general. In fact, there was a large, recent patch which just buffed assassins (considerable buff).

Other than WoW, it sounds like your options are: Rift, GW2, or TSW. The low population in TSW makes the game not worth playing imo. In GW2 you progress to look cool (not important to me) and in Rift you progress to become more powerful (more meaningful progression imo). Rift has the trinity system, GW2 does not. Rift has PvE raiding, GW2 does not. GW2 definitely has a population edge over Rift, but GW2's combat system will leave you feeling empty and non-essential.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't want to pay the monthly sub! Save me community! : )

I just wonder if there is as engaging multiplayer game out there for the free to play player...one where I have purpose playing and progressing a character...

I know there is a big playerbase on these forums that is not fond of World of Warcraft, but what else I should be fond of, really?

I can only tell you what I am fond of. You have to experiment yourself. Preferences can be different for different people.

I am fond of Marvel Heroes, STO and D3 (not a MMORPG, but close enough for me).

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Play D3's combat and you'll never touch an MMORPG again.

You even have a choice these days ...with an economy PC or pure self found on Consoles.

No subs, no gear reset every 4 months ...

perfect for casual or real hardcore (perma death).

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

If you can't afford 15$ a month, yet want a quality MMO, you are pretty much out of luck.

GW2 is passable, but you'd have to plunk down the initial cash and hope it's your thing for the next year. Otherwise, you've just lost a significant amount of your nearly non-existent income.