Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who reads quest text?

Comments

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

I don't play games for story, I play for A. Combat   B. PvP   C. Making money (USD).

I personally don't read the txt. "Aint nobody got time for that". as far as FF14 I don't play it since it doesn't have pvp but thats a whole other story for a different thread.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

It depends on the game, honestly. I like reading the quests in FFXIV because the story is great, even the side quests are great! A lot of them have funny stories and I enjoy having a laugh over them :)  I also enjoy reading the text in games like TSW, GW2 and Skyrim - it just adds another element to the immersion of the game. 

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I don't.  The map basically hand-holds you to the objective in current MMOs, and the story lines are infantile at best, so what's the point?  It used to be you had to read the quest text to have a general idea of the direction to travel, then you had to find it on your own.  No big glowing arrows, or sparkling / highlighted objectives.  Thought was often required.

Personally, I think current themeparks should just award the XP the moment you click on the quest giver.  Would save everyone a bunch of time, and would only be slightly less difficult than doing the actual quests.

Yeah sadly since WOW came out and every MMO that ive played since I just click through the text and look at the map .

I prefer to play the game by playing it than reading it I guess .  Each to their own tho .

Basically they could add any story into this game and I would still be having fun healing people ,  putting creatures to sleep & Throwing the odd stone etc .

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i only read the main story line text that doesnt have voice, but sometimes its just too loong and i spam clicks. They said main storyline was going to have voice overs but most of the main storyline doesnt have voice. Only pieces here and there with cinematics.

• kolargolkolargol Member UncommonPosts: 9

I guess people that grew up with pen and paper D&D read more than others.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I used to read quest text. Because quest lore used to impact the world somewhat. Because to solve quests you usually had to pay attention to the quest text. Nowadays though, it's entirely filler. The game wastes my time with its stupid quest grinding, I'm not going to read their throwaway text when it doesn't impact the game at all.

Or more accurately, I just won't play quest grinders.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by kolargol

No, people that care about/are interested in what they might read read more than others...

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

I'd read it if it hadn't been written for 10 years old kids fan of anime. I dunno, maybe it's appealing to japanese players (which i doubt considering how empty jap servers are, even at peak time) but those overscripted ultra predictable scenarios with dialogues that would make an elementary school kid facepalm aren't really my take. 

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by twrule
    Originally posted by kolargol

No, people that care about/are interested in what they might read read more than others...

Yeah I haven't ever played FF game before so I don't really know what its all about .

I can imagine it would be great for FF fans , just like I loved reading text in games like SWG because Im Star Wars fan .

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I would rather go outside and ride my bike than play any mmorpg without the story. In my opinion the aesthetics and mechanics are there to support the narrative. I could care less about reaching max level. If and when I do I quit and move on to another adventure.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by iamrta
    I would rather go outside and ride my bike than play any mmorpg without the story. In my opinion the aesthetics and mechanics are there to support the narrative. I could care less about reaching max level. If and when I do I quit and move on to another adventure.

And this is why MMOs should not cater to people like you. Singleplayer game devs shoud.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148
    i ve read everything so far level 23.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I read every word. I enjoy chatty npc's, as long as it's text and not voiced.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Grailer
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I don't.  The map basically hand-holds you to the objective in current MMOs, and the story lines are infantile at best, so what's the point?  It used to be you had to read the quest text to have a general idea of the direction to travel, then you had to find it on your own.  No big glowing arrows, or sparkling / highlighted objectives.  Thought was often required.

Personally, I think current themeparks should just award the XP the moment you click on the quest giver.  Would save everyone a bunch of time, and would only be slightly less difficult than doing the actual quests.

Yeah sadly since WOW came out and every MMO that ive played since I just click through the text and look at the map .

I prefer to play the game by playing it than reading it I guess .  Each to their own tho .

Basically they could add any story into this game and I would still be having fun healing people ,  putting creatures to sleep & Throwing the odd stone etc .

I agree with MindTrigger but you can't blame WoW for the turnaround.

WoW had excellent questing with teasing indications of how to succeed in your quest. They adapted it due to other games offering the alternative.

If anything, we can blame WoW for not being WoW anymore.

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    as in any mmorpg, the main part is the RPG part, which by definition includes all the lore and fantasy of the world, so you can skip all the text if you want and rush to the end game but that would be like fast forwarding a movie just to watch the climax and not understand how or why it happened. this degrades communities cuz nobody is in on the game anymore and then they complain that the game is shallow and has no content when the story is the content, especially in a game like final fantasy, i mean its in the name for fucks sake
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Actually I found the text quite refreshing very little Japlish quite a bit of creative license with the prose though and lot's of slang, maybe as I'm a Brit it is a bit easier to fathom out as we use slang more than most.

Also rather fruity in places nice to see they don't mind a few expletives here and there adds a bit of realism if that is possible to a fantasy setting.

p>
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by iamrta

And this is why MMOs should not cater to people like you. Singleplayer game devs shoud.

Thanks for the box :)

*climbs inside*

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I read quest text in every final fantasy and rpg in general so why should I not in this?  I play rpgs for the story.
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    I tried to read it all but after lvl 15 I couldn't keep doing it. It became boring.... now I read only the "cool" looking parts i.e. ifrit
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by jazz.be

I agree with MindTrigger but you can't blame WoW for the turnaround.

WoW had excellent questing with teasing indications of how to succeed in your quest. They adapted it due to other games offering the alternative.

If anything, we can blame WoW for not being WoW anymore.

Indeed. Vanilla WoW questing was fine.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    You'll get a lot more out of the experience if you actually take the time to smell the roses.  Get to know your NPCs and listen to their stories. They have quite a bit to say and more than most of it is interesting.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I can usually tell if i'm interested in reading the text fairly quickly.

If they use the words "collect" or "help" or if they call me "boy" I usually click the button fast so not to have to endure the incessant ramblings of the idiot.

Lore though and class/story text is usually worth reading and in FFXIV can be quite interesting. Just gotta learn the difference between useful text and garbage and let the speed of your finger take it from there lol.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I think reading the quest is the whole point of RPG, if your missing the quest text and the setting of the game, then all you really play is an MMO.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I do.

edit: Fistorm has the gist of it.

If I don't read the quest text the I might as well go out and kill mobs over and over. I don't mind this at all. But there really isn't any sense of place or task if all one is doing is a relay race.

If I wasn't reading the text I'd just go out and grind mobs.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64

Playing an RPG without reading quest text? Might as well play a non-stop action game.