Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the reviews fair?

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

I seen alot of launches in the last ten years.   Age of Conan, Neverwinter, FFXIV.   In age of conan I would run around and coudlnt even craft past tier 1 because crafting items in game were not in game  and even had end boss's litterally get kicked through the walls never to be seen of again after an hour long dungeon.  I seen neverwinter when they had problems with someone being able to duplicate Astral Diamonds and pets,  many other issues, of other players silencing you falsely with no gm oversight, and when you put in a ticket to get it fixed....  all you got was a sorry we cannot help you with your problem weeks later.   You try to get ahold of customer service at PWE and its absoultuly nonexistant.   

FFXIV game runs flawless, everything in the game is complete, no lag issues, no lockups, no exploits found yet.  Nothing that would spell disaster.   Everyones codes got fixed, statments have been issued on problems less then 24 hours on forums.  If you call thier support center you actually get a real person who can help you with your issues.  But somehow they get a really really bad review because they sold more accounts then they ever could have dreamed?   Why isnt this being understood that they have to actually have new servers delivered to thier company, real hardware that costs money and production time, and is being done in under 1 week from launch.  If you ask me, thats pretty reasonable time to wait for infastructure to be put in from a overwhelmly successful launch.   

I think its sad to see that success with players is now rewarded with, not in game reviews about how well the game is and why it is liked by so many, but log in issues from being too successful.   What do you guys think, is reviews being fair to this game compared to others or not?

Comments

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    what reviews your speaking of to be honest. almost 99% of the reviews Iv seen either 9/10 or 8/10 minimum.
  • ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

I'v been lucky enough that I never got these issues. but if I did, I will be just as frustrated as everyone else. having said that, SE already extended the free time by 7 days and adding more servers + more capacitiy next week. so meh, it sucks but it also got blown out of proportions.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang
    what reviews your speaking of to be honest. almost 99% of the reviews Iv seen either 9/10 or 8/10 minimum.

This. Most reviews have been 8/10 or above so far.

Perhaps OP thinks a 9.5 or above is fair?

Also, some quest lines and Fates are bugged atm, though I agree that in-game is quite polished.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

It's because people are armchair quarterbacks.  They have no idea you can't just snap and have servers appear.  You can't just touch your nose and blink your eyes and magical patches come into existence.  

I think it's hilarious.  It's the same ol story.  Each MMO learns this in one form or another.  Frankly, I haven't been encumbered to far so far.  Today was the first time I truly saw anything AND I fully expected it seeing as it's labor day weekend (in the U.S.).

• BhobBhob Member UncommonPosts: 126

We are talking FF14 correct? It seems to me the reviews have been pretty good with the exception of the server issue.  I've just started playing and the time I was able to get on I experienced alot of lag in the newbie zone.   That being said it looks awesome (I loved FF11).  

I just can't believe that SE could screw up this bad with not enough server load for a launch.... and not putting measures in to let more people in or atleast not exiting the game when the server doesn't respond.  To me they are blowing a do over. 

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101

The game itself is very polished.  Right up there with the best launches, or games people consider to have launched without issue.

They grossly underestimated their game.  Its breaking records for concurrent connections.  This is why people are having issues.  SE was too modest or short sighted to think so many would give the game a second chance.

Regardless, the reason there are issues getting in is that too many people want to play.  Which speaks volumes for the game itself (if you are into games like this...this is no gw2 there is lots of progression, text to read, and good story)

So yes, the reviews are fair.  You cant even buy the game now...they disabled it until next week when they get more capacity and servers.  You cant make a character on any server right now, all are full.  You have issues getting on at 7am on a weekend because so many are playing.

Once you get in...its easy to get pissed if you get DC'ed or have issues getting back in because the game is actually surprisingly great.

The game is having success related issues.  Take that for what its worth.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Vorch

Also, some quest lines and Fates are bugged atm, though I agree that in-game is quite polished.

Those are ratings, not reviews.  Ratings speak volumes, but the reviews do not reflect the ratings.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by fistorm

Those are ratings, not reviews.  Ratings speak volumes, but the reviews do not reflect the ratings.

Soo...reviews should not mention the terrible log-in and account issues (buddy wound up with 2 accounts somehow...and won't get pre-order bonuses) and only focus on the polished in-game experience?

Regardless of the fact that, despite the service issues, they are still giving the game pretty good scores?

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101

One thing that strikes me as silly, is that this happens with just about every game launch...people who are really sensitive and short fused regarding launch issues preorder every game then fly off the handle when issues pop up.

Why don't these people just wait a week or two?  Save themselves the stress?

I haven't played a game in a very long time that offered an actual advantage to being a week or two ahead of someone who joined late to reduce the chance of a buggy launch.

And this launch isn't buggy...theres just too many damn people trying to play.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Ikeda

It's because people are armchair quarterbacks.  They have no idea you can't just snap and have servers appear.  You can't just touch your nose and blink your eyes and magical patches come into existence.  

I think it's hilarious.  It's the same ol story.  Each MMO learns this in one form or another.  Frankly, I haven't been encumbered to far so far.  Today was the first time I truly saw anything AND I fully expected it seeing as it's labor day weekend (in the U.S.).

PEople would have no reason to be angry if they did proper testing and didn't stick to the weekend advertising type of thing, that type of testing is more about giving them a little so they want more, than it is about actual testing. Weekends should have been used for multiple stress tests that would fit the same purpose yet at the same time they'd have discovered these issue far sooner. Which in turn they would have been prepared for the issues that sprung up, and players wouldn't have to wait so loong for that fix.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I'm assuming the reviews OP sees are the ones for 1.0 which it deserves.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Soo...reviews should not mention the terrible log-in and account issues (buddy wound up with 2 accounts somehow...and won't get pre-order bonuses) and only focus on the polished in-game experience?

Regardless of the fact that, despite the service issues, they are still giving the game pretty good scores?

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Tell your buddy he didn't follow the correct path.  The game tells you (though the format is a bit odd) what you're doing when you add the code to your account.  It ALSO warns you not to add it to your beta account which is different.  It can't do more than TELL you.  But people, as always click,click,click.  So many that if you go to SE's website there's a simple form link made to merge those accounts for people. (so he's not alone in his click,click,clicking)