Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering buying the game. Is it still healthy?

I am really thinking of getting it but the game did have mixed receptions. One of my reasons to get it is absence of class. I always love to experiment and in all my MMOs, i am never able to stick with a single class. But, i am also worried whether it's active enough. So, can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I've had it about a month, and the population seems to be pretty healthy.  If you do get it, be ready to do some thinking in parts. It is definitely a bit different than most of the MMOs out there.  GL

I self identify as a monkey.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

This game is perfect for tinkering and experimenting with your build.  All the skills are available to every character, so you can try out a much more far ranging variety of builds all with the same toon.

As far as players, the population is certainly healthy.  Plenty of other people to play with.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I picked Cerberus back then knowing it's a low pop server and I never regretted that.

When I guested on Arcadia to play with a friend, 2 weeks ago, her and me had to turn the general chat off cause someone kept on insulting another guy who had shot the zombies running after him.

"OMG you XXX you fXX XXX I need those zombies to run into the church for me"

So yeah I feel this game is best played alone or as co-op with a friend, so I wouldn't worry about a "healthy" population.

Harbinger of Fools
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Population is good and I think you will really like this game.   Its fun and there is lots of different ways to go about playing your character.
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Last month I made a new character and went from beginning to end-game in about 2weeks by myself. No one to group with, anyone i saw never spoke english or even responded to "Hello!" or "How are you :)?" etc.

"Looking for Group" tool was always empty for anything other than end-game instances or dungeons/raids.

All in all if you're looking for people to level with don't bother, but if you don't mind soloing for 2weeks to get to end-game instance spamming then go right ahead :). Otherwise the game will be frustrating doing things on your own.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Last month I made a new character and went from beginning to end-game in about 2weeks by myself. No one to group with, anyone i saw never spoke english or even responded to "Hello!" or "How are you :)?" etc.

"Looking for Group" tool was always empty for anything other than end-game instances or dungeons/raids.

All in all if you're looking for people to level with don't bother, but if you don't mind soloing for 2weeks to get to end-game instance spamming then go right ahead :). Otherwise the game will be frustrating doing things on your own.

I used to play this game a lot too, if you beat it in 2 weeks you have too much free time for video games! (I do lol). 

The reason I am responding to this post though is to point out that solo experience itself is very very fun. In my opinion at least. I actually really enjoyed it. I just wish they didn't do the whole instance spamming lack of end-game bull crap that we are used to seeing in "modern" games.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by madazz

I used to play this game a lot too, if you beat it in 2 weeks you have too much free time for video games! (I do lol). 

The reason I am responding to this post though is to point out that solo experience itself is very very fun. In my opinion at least. I actually really enjoyed it. I just wish they didn't do the whole instance spamming lack of end-game bull crap that we are used to seeing in "modern" games.

Nah, I was just in the Beta so i know what to do and where to go to farm SPs and APs for skills etc. I work 50hrs a week, and sleep a lot. So that just goes to show you how weak of a game TSW is substance wise.

That being said, i wish they'd concentrate all of their efforts on their superior flagship product Anarchy Online. You can play that game for years and still not know/see/do everything. It's crazy tbh.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Not sure what game you're playing - I started fairly recently and have had no problems finding groups, and played every single instance at an appropriate level - some more than once.

Currently I'm playing elites, and again, I generally haven't had to queue for long.

(all that's playing in Europe, mostly as a soloer, and I'm not a member of  a cabal. However I generally queue as heal/dps - which gives me more options to join groups than someone only queueing as a single role).

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I know I commented before but I should have mentioned this previously.  I am currently waiting for FF XIV, which is right around the corner and grand Theft Auto 5, a few months away still.  If I didn't have those on my plate, I would probably have started a new character in Secret World and be playing that or perhaps DCUO with a new character.   Secret World offers a lot.  I suggest you do the side quests as well as they will help you build your character.  Lastly if you are having trouble on a quest, don't be afraid to ask for help. Chances are others have had issues and can help you with suggestions or even team play.
  • strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48

Its fun till you finish all missions. I completed all missions (quests) in well under a week and now you have gear based pvp or dungeons.

Most people that are questing you meet are soloers, but with no open tagging nobody helped me to kill a monster etc. I felt way more friendlier atmosphere in Lotro or even gw2.

Quests are fun, but their DLCs seem really expensive considering this game is b2p (10e / each) for a few hours of playtime of new missions.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by strellok

Its fun till you finish all missions. I completed all missions (quests) in well under a week and now you have gear based pvp or dungeons.

Most people that are questing you meet are soloers, but with no open tagging nobody helped me to kill a monster etc. I felt way more friendlier atmosphere in Lotro or even gw2.

Quests are fun, but their DLCs seem really expensive considering this game is b2p (10e / each) for a few hours of playtime of new missions.

You did all quests (in all 8 zones) in 1 week? Damn that is quite impressive, I think for most it takes more like 3 weeks or more.

Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    Originally posted by strellok

You did all quests (in all 8 zones) in 1 week? Damn that is quite impressive, I think for most it takes more like 3 weeks or more.

Yes included a lot of time afking, chatting and watching tv shows on other monitor :)

I believe it can be done much faster because it is only 8 zones that are rather small. But I gotta admit, never had so much fun with questing in an MMO game. Upcoming MMOs could inspire from TSW quest wise.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    TSW should have been made as a single player game...ITs one of those where there are others around but dont expect many to group......Its heavily story driven and the cutscenes/voice acting get old very quickly (at least for me).......Personally I'd save the money but to each their own.
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

2 weeks to get to end game?  Wow your fast.  What did you have 12% of your wheel completed and four solid passives and not even an auxiliary weapon being used?  The main storyline is the smallest part of the game if your hoarded through that you did not even play the game.

Not to mention last month was the anniversary event in which people were hoping all over joining in on the fun for the 2ish weeks and grouping is easy to obtain by just asking.  If your looking for a LFG tool to find a social mechanism you just blatantly did not try to socialize, hence the need to utilize one of those above tools. 

Game has a solid population.  Its a niche game and the community is no different than any others, many nice people and many jerks.  Ignore the jerks socialize with the nice.

There is not whole a lot of content.

I finished all missions, got aux weapon, story line done, max faction rank and even got all blues except 3 talismans - drops or AH.

Over 30 percent on ability wheel.

..........under 7 days (play days, not playtime) and it was no marathon.

Now you have: dungs and pvp.

I tried its pvp and believe it is bad in that department. Dungeons raids lairs seem cool, thats the endgame.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95

no. it is basically on life support. most topics on the main forum consists of either posts asking when the next content release will be, or reassurance topics bashing GW2 by someone on an alt account to give the impression that people still buy the game.

on top of that it is still plagued by most of the bugs it had from launch and several new ones. the chat and community server(friend list, guild list) still crash daily. TSw is not a niche MMO, it is a failed mass market MMO.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Yes it is healthy , & one by best MMORPG on market

Peoples making mistake playing game as SP,it is MMORPG ,.Game is more fun when playing with other peoples ,coz TSW is social based game,not solo.

Rule number 1 is ; join active cabal &  make in game friendship !

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Im really not sure what all this 1-3 weeks to clear all the content is about.

I had the game for two months at launch, when there was less content, and I didn't get anywhere close to clearing it all.

I think theres a lot of people skipping a hell of a lot of content to make these claims.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Strangerous

I had the game for two months at launch, when there was less content, and I didn't get anywhere close to clearing it all.

I think theres a lot of people skipping a hell of a lot of content to make these claims.

in a group of 2-3 it's pretty fast to finish 1 area without skipping the videos and enjoying everything around. But even i grouped it took me pretty long aswell to finish everything to be honest.

And to finish quest is just 1 thing, I mean its same like gw2 after u have to finish the doungens and stuff, not to forget last time i logged in people finnaly started to do worldbosses, everyone just ignored them at the start of the game.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

no. it is basically on life support. most topics on the main forum consists of either posts asking when the next content release will be, or reassurance topics bashing GW2 by someone on an alt account to give the impression that people still buy the game.

on top of that it is still plagued by most of the bugs it had from launch and several new ones. the chat and community server(friend list, guild list) still crash daily. TSw is not a niche MMO, it is a failed mass market MMO.

It's not though.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    My experience on Grim (the last few days) has been that 90% of the players are in Agartha spamming in LFG. I just started again after having played a little at launch, so I'm still in Kingsmouth. I do see players going by every so often (not a lot, but a fair few), but nobody is interested in even talking, let alone grouping. My experience may not be typical to every other server but it's enough to put me off a bit. I know soloing is completely viable, but if I wanted to solo a game, I'd buy a SP game, not an MMO. I've tried to join cabals, but no dice so far. I've had two people send me tells asking what faction I'm in, but when I told them (illuminati) they said NVM. With all the other good games out with healthy(ier) populations, it's got to the point where I feel like I should just give up on this game. As much as I want to like it, the community is very lackluster (amongst other, non-community related issues). 
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

Talks about poeple "bashing GW2", in a post made solely to bash and misinform people about TSW. Interesting.

TSW is on 'Life Support' like I'm on 'Life Support' - In other words: It isn't.

Pro tip: A solid, factual argument doesn't require hyperbole to make it "seem stronger". It stands on its own.

TSW doesn't have an enormous population, but it's certainly large and active enough of one to play, interact, find a good Cabal, etc. Unless those aren't really other players I see everywhere I go in game? Those aren't real people talking, asking questions, buying/selling, etc. in Chat? Those aren't actual living people with their characters in Agartha talking, traveling around, etc?

What are they then? Illusions?

TSW is very much a niche MMO. The systems it implements, and the way it implements them require someone with a working brain to learn and understand.. not only how to set up an effective deck (which skills, synergy, etc), but also how to make the best use of those skills. The Talisman system requires a good deal of understanding (the math behind it, the break down of each category, etc).

Don't even get me started on the quests. You're not going to see quests the style of TSW in  your typical "mass market MMO" any time soon. Most gamers these days have a 10 second attention span. If they have to spend more time than that even thinking about something, they've already lost interest.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Deleted User

I've been playing casually since last fall, and my highest character is in Transylvania but probably less than halfway thru. I haven't tried any dungeons after Solomon Island, have very limited experience with Lairs, and haven't touched any DLCs except Last Train to Cairo and first mission or two on A Dream to Kill. Why are some people in such a tearing hurry?

• AtlasGravesAtlasGraves Member UncommonPosts: 16

Been playing recently and I notice a number of people all over, joining in quests, helping out, been alot of fun.

The atmosphere, art direction style, mystery, suspense, and general theme is pretty amazing. Ive been nothing but enjoying the game, one of the freshest takes on the MMO genre to date. Wish I had started earlier, and ive pretty much played them all.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Originally posted by Deleted User

I've been playing casually since last fall, and my highest character is in Transylvania but probably less than halfway thru. I haven't tried any dungeons after Solomon Island, have very limited experience with Lairs, and haven't touched any DLCs except Last Train to Cairo and first mission or two on A Dream to Kill. Why are some people in such a tearing hurry?

I've said it all along and I'll continue to say it: People tear through these games because they've (largely) come from a single-player/offline gaming background, where it's a kind of "badge of pride" to "finish" games as "fast as possible".

Most of them came to the MMO genre with WoW. Problem is, rather than adapting to the "never ending", on-going adventure feel of the genre, they forcibly shoe-horned their single-player "finish it as fast as possible" playstyle into it. They insisted that developers change the games to meet their inflexible gaming habits.

Since MMOs don't have a "finish" - they're forever expanding and evolving, and there is no "Win Screen" - players have adopted "Level Cap" and "End Game" as a surrogate "win condition". And so, they race through the game, skip past tons of content, barely even pay attention to the content they do complete (no time to pay attention! I gotta gooooo!!!!), and burn through it as fast as they can.

Then they get  to the end-game, they burn through that content (usually grinding on raids, etc to gear up), they reach the "peak" of what they can do in the game at that time, and then say "Okay, so now what? This game sucks! There's not enough content! I'm going to __Shiny New MMO Here__ instead! They're launching with a ton more content and the developers know how to develop a MMORPG!

And they do... And they proceed to do the same thing all over again. The "tons of content" they boast about is meaningless, because - just like the previous game.. and the ones before that - they're going to completely skip most of it anyway. Why? "Because I gotta get to end game ASAP!! No time for content!! I've gotta goooooooo!!!".

And so, one MMO after another, after another, after another falls onto their "crappy MMO" list. Why? Because MMO gamers like that are their own worst enemy. So long as they insist on "beating MMOs", rather than "playing them", no MMO will ever exist to satisfy them. It isn't possible.

My conclusion is that there's a large population of people playing MMOs who really shouldn't be playing them.

TSW is a MMO for patient people, for thinkers, for people who know how to appreciate the depth of lore, puzzle-solving, storylines, excellently written and beautifully voice-acted characters, believable environments with enough atmosphere to choke a horse. It's not a game for the impatient, for those who think the combat system is "the most important part of the game", that "storyline isn't important", or that "end game is all that matters". It's for those who can appreciate and immerse themselves in a meticulously crafted world, not for those who just "gotta gooooooo!!!" every moment they're logged in.

There's a definite anti-intellectual, anti-journey, anti-story, anti-depth sentiment among the MMO community. Most newer MMOs are forever cranking up the hand-holding and coddling, while creating ever more shallow experiences. So long as that trend continues, TSW will remain a niche title.

And for me, that's absolutely fine. I love what Funcom have created in TSW. It's a brilliant game.