Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is boycotting because of subscription + cash shop on top of a box purchase?

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by St_konker
    Do we know what is going to be in the cash shop or will it be a cash shop like....I dunno lets say WoW, where there are extra items and services you can only get if you pay cash.

WoW had mounts and pets in their cash shop. They basically said "Screw our subscribers, if they want this certain mount they have to pay more for it even though they already pay for the box price+expansions+subscription." Yes, some of the pets and mounts they said the money went to charity but how come they didn't just donate some of the billions of dollars they got per year from subscriptions alone to charity? Because of greed, plain and simple.

Smile

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by St_konker
    Do we know what is going to be in the cash shop or will it be a cash shop like....I dunno lets say WoW, where there are extra items and services you can only get if you pay cash.

WoW had mounts and pets in their cash shop. They basically said "Screw our subscribers, if they want this certain mount they have to pay more for it even though they already pay for the box price+expansions+subscription." Yes, some of the pets and mounts they said the money went to charity but how come they didn't just donate some of the billions of dollars they got per year from subscriptions alone to charity? Because of greed, plain and simple.

Are you trying to argue those stupid pets/mounts are P2W or something?  There aren't many available this way, and there are TONS of others in game.  The ones in shop are nothing by comparison.

It isn't greed to turn a profit.  Most of the money they made went back into the game to develop more content for its players. 

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

To the OP, and without reading any of the tread OR his post(just the subject) NOT ME: I'm ALL FOR it, if it means less dipshits and douchbags(Which it will)

Buying the box AND paying a monthly means that anyone in the game at LEAST has to put up that much investment into the game, and therefore his time in the game MEANS something to him.

I for one, am sick of 'f2p' or cash shop, or 'buy the box and own' or any other sub models, since every single one of them, something is sacrficed to get there(Either u get tons of freeloaders, have to buy the 'next' update each time its put out, have to put up ridiculous amounts of money to 'keep up with the jonses' and so on.

Box + Sub? I'm all for it.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

if it means less dipshits and douchbags(Which it will)

Sure there will be "less", but it won't be significant. A popular example is WoW. Plenty of jerks there that the sub fee didn't stop from coming in.

have to buy the 'next' update each time its put out, 

Like expansions, right? That box+sub games make you pay for?

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Remember when subscription fees meant everything was in game and there were cash shop money grabs? Remember when the first free to play game came out that was supported not by a subscription, but cash shop items? Cash shop items are supposed to be an alternate to the subscription model, but now they're going for the full money grab? What is this, Korea? It was stupid enough when world of warcraft did it, and people still defended the game and their money grab.

I was interested in the game, but on principle - will not buy it if they're going to do this. I play MMO's so I can work my way up to the cool looking stuffs. But if they're going to take the cool looking items out of the game and make me pay like $7 bucks for a "Fun" item, yeah not going to happen. I was just wondering how many people are giving this game a pass due to this.

It baffles me how many people here are completely clueless when its comes to cash shops. I bet most played only 1 MMO with a cash shop that was done in such a bad way that they think every single game with a cash shop is a cash grab. Sure its usually is, but for dumb people who are idiot enough to spend some money in them. I've never seem a game who's taking out items from the game to sell them to you, so I have no idea of what you're talking about.

Uninformed people making clueless comments as usual.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    When a consumer argues for a model where you pay in advance you know the loaf is missing a few slices :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    When a consumer argues for a model where you pay in advance you know the loaf is missing a few slices :)

When a consumer argues for a model with advertising billboards everywhere you know his favorite TV station is the shopping channel :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105
    Don't like it, don't buy it.  I'm glad sub games are showing up with cash shops again, I'm sick of cheap gamers who want everything for free.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I will not be playing; I might try it at some point if they do a free trial thing, but so far everything I have read about this game hints at a major single player themepark/lobby game. I couldn't care less about the sub model.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I am not boycotting TESO. I am simply not buying into it until they have to change business model to either buy or free to play and they will just like every other game that tried to release with a subscription in the modern age of MMORPGs. It is inevitable and will happen. 
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I wait till it goes free to play, that wont take long looking at the some aspects of the game.
    I give them 3 months before they scratch their ears and explain they made a mistake with tripple dipping.

I might be wrong, but from what i have seen so far iam not impressed....
    Maybe they forgot 2014 is the year of the next gen consoles and many many super fun games.
    They are going to get a extremely rough time ahead.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    This isn't the reason I'll be skipping ESO. I'll be skipping it because right now the animations look dodgy, the gameplay I've seen thus far looks too much like standard MMO faire, and the game doesn't look as though it captures the spirit of the ES series at all.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Even if I disagree with the funding model if the game is good I'll pony up the cash =)
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    The problem is that too many dumb gamers actually pay for all this without even knowing if the game is any good or not...... If we didn't pay then they wouldn't charge......I've already read several posts saying that people will pay for this that know nothing about it....That right there tells you what the problem is......

But then your boycotting a game that has a sub because you are to cheap to pay for a game, that you want them to work for free. No one is making anyone buy anything in the cash shop, WOW, has sub and cash shop, nothing is game breaking, so i'm confused by this at all. No one will make you buy from the cash shop, so i'm boycotting people like you stop posting trash like this, when you don't know if the game is good or not, so bashing a game that you don't know is good is a joke as well.

This is not about Elder scrolls either this is about i'm getting tired when I see people think they should get all my hard work, or any devs hard work for free.... You go to work and work for free..

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Originally posted by potlaki

game is worth it,even though I am not happy with subscription fee.

rather moan if they don't give us game content worth the subscription fee.

don't buy crap now save your money or wait till end of next year then it will be free.

we all were bitshing that we cant play skyrim with our friends now we can play the hole world of

elders scrolls I am in 100%.

Skyrim > Elder Scrolls Online. You can't just make a multiplayer game, call it Elder Scrolls Online and expect ES fans to just be happy with it. I'm sorry but people want Skyrim Online instead of this. 

LOL, LOL, now I see what the problem is, do you really think this is suppose to be Skyrim, well its not, its not even the same company, this is NOT Skyrim or suppose to be , you need to read about what the game is suppose to be about , which is not Skyrim!!!!

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    i will still play
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    The problem is that too many dumb gamers actually pay for all this without even knowing if the game is any good or not...... If we didn't pay then they wouldn't charge......I've already read several posts saying that people will pay for this that know nothing about it....That right there tells you what the problem is......

But then your boycotting a game that has a sub because you are to cheap to pay for a game, that you want them to work for free. No one is making anyone buy anything in the cash shop, WOW, has sub and cash shop, nothing is game breaking, so i'm confused by this at all. No one will make you buy from the cash shop, so i'm boycotting people like you stop posting trash like this, when you don't know if the game is good or not, so bashing a game that you don't know is good is a joke as well.

This is not about Elder scrolls either this is about i'm getting tired when I see people think they should get all my hard work, or any devs hard work for free.... You go to work and work for free..

The "+ cash shop" thing is just a red herring. The anti sub crowd flooded this forum and piled on the initial thread just after the announcement was made. When the tide turned in that thread and it wasn't just a hate fest anymore, they started this thread.

No one even knows what's going to be in the shop--it could be just name changes, T-shirts and mugs for all we know. And no one knows if it's an in-game cash shop or just a website like Blizzard has... but hey, haters got to hate. Facts don't matter to them.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

I'm not playing it because its a Gimped version of GW2 which itself is a gimped version of DAOC with what looks like a standard fare of spammy combat buttons for the console. Not to mention its going to be a Bubblegum carebear paradise where everyone is each others friend and the dungeons are easy and no one hurts anyones feelings.

But the sub fee is fine. 

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Faelsun

I'm not playing it because its a Gimped version of GW2 which itself is a gimped version of DAOC with what looks like a standard fare of spammy combat buttons for the console. Not to mention its going to be a Bubblegum carebear paradise where everyone is each others friend and the dungeons are easy and no one hurts anyones feelings.

But the sub fee is fine. 

Please don't take this the wrong way but..... SWEET!  One less PvP'er I have to worry about when in Cyrodiil when I'm doing my Carebear foraging and questing.  BTW, all out of Bubblegum... got any to spare?

Ratero.

Originally posted by Rhonen
    Originally posted by Faelsun

But the sub fee is fine. 

Please don't take this the wrong way but..... SWEET!  One less PvP'er I have to worry about when in Cyrodiil when I'm doing my Carebear foraging and questing.  BTW, all out of Bubblegum... got any to spare?

Ratero.

I used to like double-bubble but now I'm a fan of Big League Chew... chewing some right now as a matter of fact....cya there image

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Remember when subscription fees meant everything was in game and there were cash shop money grabs? Remember when the first free to play game came out that was supported not by a subscription, but cash shop items? Cash shop items are supposed to be an alternate to the subscription model, but now they're going for the full money grab? What is this, Korea? It was stupid enough when world of warcraft did it, and people still defended the game and their money grab.

I was interested in the game, but on principle - will not buy it if they're going to do this. I play MMO's so I can work my way up to the cool looking stuffs. But if they're going to take the cool looking items out of the game and make me pay like $7 bucks for a "Fun" item, yeah not going to happen. I was just wondering how many people are giving this game a pass due to this.

Dude you need to do your research and I spoke to the team at gamescom and you so far off the mark it's not funny. Still shut the door on your way out mate and you wont be missed after seeing all the people queuing to play the game for 30 minutes. 2100 people a day every day played that game and they turned away just as many so believe me when I say you wont be missed.

I was not even going to beta test this game as I was not going to bother after hearing everything I had, but man am I glad I went to look for my self changed my mind and I'll be there on day one and I'm glad they making people pay for their work will keep the numpties away imo....Royal wave!!!  image

Bandit.

Asbo

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

I like a box price + a sub. The sub keeps out quite a few extra casual people, and I think that helps improve the community.

I wouldn't even mind a cash shop for services: name changes, server transfers, etc. Adding fluff items to the cash shop is irritating, because by paying a sub, I expect to get the entire game. But if they start adding real items, like XP potions, special armor and weapons, and stuff that makes it into a pay-to-win game, then I'll probably lose interest.

Latest word seems to be that no cash shop at all is planned., though.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• XessiveXessive Member Posts: 1

I'll only ever pay for a subscription if it bought me actual game time. As it is, if I pay $15 and due to any number circumstances I was unable to play during that month I just lost $15 for nothing. If I were able to play about 2 hours a week, that's $15 for 8 hours of gameplay. Even if I could play 5 hours a week, that's still $15 for 20 hours of gameplay. If they're going to charge a monthly fee that ludicrous they could at least provide the software for free.

Since the subscription fee is meant to fund game maintenance (quality, servers, content) it should only count the actual game time I use. $15 should effectively provide me with ~720 hours of game time (24 hours x 30 days), though I'd settle for 100 hours if it was actually guaranteed. You pay $15 per month and whether you play or not the clock is counting.

This is why I prefer Guild Wars 2's model. I bought the game and played it at my leisure. I never had to worry about how often I logged in each month or if my subscription is running out. Peace of mind and convenience, which is the point of games and entertainment.

I'm not against subscriptions, I'm just against the way they're implemented: they only benefit one side. I don't play subscription-based MMOs due to this biased subscription model;  which is archaic. It's a relic from a past age that needs to change with the times.

Best part about ESO is that even with the subscription model there seem to be some "paygates" like the Imperial race and some other "goodies" you can only get your hands on if you "pay-to-win."

This is what pushed me away from ESO. There's no way I would consider buying the base game, let alone the "Imperial Edition."  I love the Elder Scrolls series but at this rate I'm just going to resume enjoying Skyrim and its many, many mods.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I am shelling out for the CE but you do not matter OP since you cannot stand up and be counted , you are not playing . I think anyone who does not play is not significant why should they bother with you. There is a line from Monty Python I must go dig up the actual line.

Chamber of Chains
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I guess those boycotting will not be playing any mmo again.

Is there even a major mmo out there that is sub only?

You stay sassy!

This discussion has been closed.