Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kids can't afford sub mmo

2»

Comments

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Kids may not be able to afford them, but their parents can. Kids can earn it by doing their chores without being told. I know I'd pay...
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by swizards01
    There are more people can't afford to play mmo.  Sub mmo is for adult games only? More of them still go to school and no time to play monthly sub mmo.

I honestly wish that were true.  I cannot being to describe how often the Free to Play games are flooded with "boob" comments and just outright sillyness.  Sadly, the few remaining Sub mmorpgs aren't spared either - though arguably it is LESS.  Though, get a game like WoW on the market and it's kid city.   And why not?  The genre is built to cater to a very young audience.  The moment you see cute cuddly race options and very silly world lore that just doesn't matter at all mingled in with non stop capture the flag E-Sport pvp - it's a kid magnet.

Time for a game for grownups who read books and have an education, in my humble opinion.  Time for a world where people talk to each other in groups, say, "hello," to one another as opposed to, "sup" and refuse to type in text talk, i.e., iz somone that can pwr levl me?"

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    There are more people can't afford to play mmo.  Sub mmo is for adult games only? More of them still go to school and no time to play monthly sub mmo.

This is exactly why the community of such games is so much better than F2PMMOs

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Can't afford - Who we talking here?  If it is a teenager, then yes they can, easily.  I cut grass, did snow, delivered papers as a kid, then got a job, car, paid insurance, so I disagree...  If it is a 10 year old, then maybe so, kids still get allowances for chores, but I do not think they are the target so much, even though a paying customer is a paying customer.

Adult only?  No, as I explained earlier.

No time to play?  Then it doesn't matter if it is free or pay, having to pay does not make a difference for time.

So I say teenagers can afford it if they want it, I bought stuff I wanted, saved money up for the summer for things I really wanted, if anything things are more accessible now, since you can get pay cards for subs and pre-paid visa cards and such, where as before you had to talk a parent into letting you use a credit card, early on in mmos.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Xthos

Can't afford - Who we talking here?  If it is a teenager, then yes they can, easily.  I cut grass, did snow, delivered papers as a kid, then got a job, car, paid insurance, so I disagree...  If it is a 10 year old, then maybe so, kids still get allowances for chores, but I do not think they are the target so much, even though a paying customer is a paying customer.

No time to play?  Then it doesn't matter if it is free or pay, having to pay does not make a difference for time.

So I say teenagers can afford it if they want it, I bought stuff I wanted, saved money up for the summer for things I really wanted, if anything things are more accessible now, since you can get pay cards for subs and pre-paid visa cards and such, where as before you had to talk a parent into letting you use a credit card, early on in mmos.

then you are one of the lucky few, when i was in my teens, me and my friends could barely afford a monthly sub, and i only had 2 friends that could only cuz one was spoiled by his parents and got everything he asked for and the other played on his older brothers account, so it just depends on your quality of life, then again, 10 years ago things were different.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    a Wii is great for kids
  • freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    What about rich kids?
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Skaioverride

then you are one of the lucky few, when i was in my teens, me and my friends could barely afford a monthly sub, and i only had 2 friends that could only cuz one was spoiled by his parents and got everything he asked for and the other played on his older brothers account, so it just depends on your quality of life, then again, 10 years ago things were different.

You could have gone door to door offering to work for money. Worked for me 20 years ago in my teens. Works for my disabled neighbor now.

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143

NO SUBS! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

Originally posted by Four0Six

You could have gone door to door offering to work for money. Worked for me 20 years ago in my teens. Works for my disabled neighbor now.

well good for you, something that wouldnt have worked where i grew up, it wasn't exactly pleasantville  

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    people who are saying thank god kids cant play the mmos prolly started playing mmos when they were kids...
    Originally posted by tkreep
    people who are saying thank god kids cant play the mmos prolly started playing mmos when they were kids...

the thing is that back then trolling wasn't really as rampant as it is now if it even existed, the community was mostly dedicated, mature players not the ADD ridden COD trolls that crowd the mmos of today

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

When I was a teen, they didn't have monthly subs...I saved up for things I wanted, that would easily be a monthly sub.  I worked as a dish washer when I was 13/14, delivered newspapers getting up way earlier than most before school, so not like my mom handed me things.  We were not well off.  I have not been 13-16 for a long time, but if you got a computer to play mmos on, then I do not see why you can't do some work, or do not have the opportunity to do some work to make some money.  Everyone is different, and not trying to be a jerk, but if you got a computer that can play a mmo, I do not think you are on a 'feed the children' video.

I do not know if they changed the laws, but I could work when I was under 16, just was restricted (even though the place I worked cleaning dishes didn't care, and I needed the money).  Minimum wage isn't sexy, but I did it, and 2-3 hours of work would pay for a mmo for a month.  If you live in a area with yards, people pay $20 for a yard to be cut, can't get a lawn mower or loan from the parents, do other jobs till you can buy your own lawn mower, then find 3-5 yards to do... 

I am sorry, but I hear kids telling me all the time how, "You don't understand", and they think they have had it rougher than anyone in the world has ever had it....All while they have it much better then I had it material item wise.

Old man speech:

When I was growing up, kids were fighting to get out and try to get the houses that would let them shovel snow and cut grass, when I moved for my job and was working 12-15 hours a day in PA, I was hoping and praying a kid would come and want to do my drive way (finally got a snow blower, shoveling 3 times a day near Lake Erie sucked on top of work), not one kid ever came to my door....Only person that ever came to my door was an adult asking one time, and I lived there for 5 years.  That would of been unheard of when I grew up....  So yeah some kids can't, but I think it is more often kids don't want to.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Hrica
    a Wii is great for kids

well if they can't pay 15$ a month then they can't afford to buy a console and games.  I guess the parents could get them these things for birthday's/christmas, but then again they can buy gametime cards for almost every mmo as well.  

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Kids can play the Asian F2P MMO's, plenty of them.

It could have been nice, but the F2P is not working in the west, not done properly, and players recoil in the long run.

So I have no problem with a return to SUBs...if it means we can have our sanity back and not have to deal with all the intentional constraints (limited inventory limited character slots, limited levels limited areas, P2W gear, cash shops, lockboxes, gems...etc etc etc etc... bull****)..then yeah lets go for it!

On the other hand, judging by the number of Kids that were (are) playing WoW, I am not sure your statement is even entirely true.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

They can't afford McDonald's either, but....

GAHHH! Sonofa....

*grumble* stupid fast-food analogies *grumble*

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Vidir

Parents gladly pay sub's for several games just to get rid of their anoying kids.

Locking them in a closet with a bottle of water is cheaper.

When I was a teen, they didn't have monthly subs...I saved up for things I wanted, that would easily be a monthly sub.  I worked as a dish washer when I was 13/14, delivered newspapers getting up way earlier than most before school, so not like my mom handed me things.  We were not well off.  I have not been 13-16 for a long time, but if you got a computer to play mmos on, then I do not see why you can't do some work, or do not have the opportunity to do some work to make some money.  Everyone is different, and not trying to be a jerk, but if you got a computer that can play a mmo, I do not think you are on a 'feed the children' video.

I do not know if they changed the laws, but I could work when I was under 16, just was restricted (even though the place I worked cleaning dishes didn't care, and I needed the money).  Minimum wage isn't sexy, but I did it, and 2-3 hours of work would pay for a mmo for a month.  If you live in a area with yards, people pay $20 for a yard to be cut, can't get a lawn mower or loan from the parents, do other jobs till you can buy your own lawn mower, then find 3-5 yards to do... 

I am sorry, but I hear kids telling me all the time how, "You don't understand", and they think they have had it rougher than anyone in the world has ever had it....All while they have it much better then I had it material item wise.

Old man speech:

When I was growing up, kids were fighting to get out and try to get the houses that would let them shovel snow and cut grass, when I moved for my job and was working 12-15 hours a day in PA, I was hoping and praying a kid would come and want to do my drive way (finally got a snow blower, shoveling 3 times a day near Lake Erie sucked on top of work), not one kid ever came to my door....Only person that ever came to my door was an adult asking one time, and I lived there for 5 years.  That would of been unheard of when I grew up....  So yeah some kids can't, but I think it is more often kids don't want to.

i understand your point, but i came from a poor neighborhood in puerto rico where things aren't going so good now, i managed to build my computer piece by piece with help from my dad when he was still able to work, after that i had to work my ass off just to eat 2 meals a day if i was lucky, so a monthly sub was out of the question. so yea, it depends on your situation.