Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Malware?

piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

I sometimes get redirected to a site called freefilesdownloader.com when I click a link to a post on mmorpg.com's forums. An installation file is automatically downloaded for a program called iPumper. Anybody else had this happen to them?

I turned Adblock back on and hope this will fix it.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I've had the forum twice try to redirect me to that site and had Avast block it both times.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
     I too have this happening on over 50 PC's in my work environment. I think someone or something injected something into the site. I have this happening on a freshly built device with all current updates/protection.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Aye,confirmed,got some virus ad and some other weird shit popped too.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Same

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yup noticed it yesterday... but my AV and spyware software killed it off..

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Might want to do a system rollback, followed by a scan with a few malware detectors just in case, things like spybot, malwarebytes, superantispyware, ect.  You never know what kind of trojans or backdoors that kind of stuff has put on your system.

My wife had a nasty ones a few weeks ago, kept reinstalling itself, and the above was the only way I was able to get rid of it.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security and it keeps blocking some malware on mmorpg.com I gather its a dodgy advert or something has got onto the site. Kasperky stops it straight away as it happens each time I open any page from mmorpg.com.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Google ads use java and java script for the ads. Java is one big virus waiting to happen. There is no write once, run anywhere system. If you have older versions of JAVA, just uninstall them (keep java up to date) or do what I did, uninstall java and never look back.

There is a lot of spoofing, etc that can be done in JAVA script so that is what is happening. I had this on other forums I belong to. Not the forums fault, it is Google that is not doing it's job.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I've had this happen on this site as well as a "download" window automatically open up and wait for an "ok".

At the time I thought I had accidentally clicked on something.

note: just happened again!

I rean malware bytes twice when this happened but got nothing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Thanks guys, appreciate all the replies. As a long time member, I really want to support this site the best I can, that's why I decided to turn off AdBlock for this site only. But this is ridiculous!

I did some research, and it appears that iPumper is indeed malware/virus. It's apparently a download manager that runs daily background tasks, looking for "software" to download.

I'm sorry mmorpg.com, but this I can not support in any way.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

This site was definitely recently infected with some garbage.   Never had problems before but over the past few days there have been several attempts to redirect me to known malware sites when clicking on links to some threads. 

For home users, I would recommend using a free service like OpenDNS to prevent these redirects.  

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Edit: i didn't get redirected but MMORPG.com did slow to a crawl.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    I've had the same happen to me twice.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by botrytis
    Google ads use java and java script for the ads. Java is one big virus waiting to happen. There is no write once, run anywhere system. If you have older versions of JAVA, just uninstall them (keep java up to date) or do what I did, uninstall java and never look back. There is a lot of spoofing, etc that can be done in JAVA script so that is what is happening. I had this on other forums I belong to. Not the forums fault, it is Google that is not doing it's job.

Java and JavaScript are 100% unrelated to each other. It's only the names that are similar.

Judging from your post, it's Java that you have a problem with, not Javascript.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Have had it twice already today. Last time when trying to open this topic (LOL?). If the site indeed is infected by some mallware it would explain the bad and slow performance the site has had for the last couple of weeks.

I've also seen some saying the redirect is a virus and such... Using Opera 12.x (it downloads and writes to HDD before displaying everything), I can tell the thing redirecting is no virus. Not sure about the content of the site, but I suspect that one indeed is full of shit.

At the comments on Java... Yeah, it can be a source of a lot of problems (that's why I still use Opera 12.x), but it also is a very good platform itself. Too bad some misuse certain aspects of vulnorabilities in it :s

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Yup, 2-3 times.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Just happened to me.
  • VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220
    I've been redirected to an "API Downloader" site 3 times in the last couple of days when I was just reading a thread(not even clicking a link or anything) on this site. Just this site...wierd.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by PAL-18

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/

if it doesnt stop.

It's on day 2 atm, I will give them till days end.  If not I will flag it with google as well.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Why are no Admins responding to this thread? I just had it happen too!  This is pretty serious.  As far as I can tell the site has been hacked.  Please update us ADMIN!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

Same thing I right clicked a forum topic ''open in new tab'' it did not go to the post but tried to redirect me to some other site and Avast blocked it.

Indeed something needs to be looked into.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    You guys are making me think of dropping windows security ess.and going back to avast,.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Had the same thing happen to me today as well.  First time ever.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

We are aware of the issue and are working diligently to track down the source and correct it.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -